The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I only shoot in manual and mostly birds it is the best camera iv had it does take a bit of setting up but i'm not that tech savvy so that's down to me 30fps and the 50 mps for cropping really does help with birds .
I use bbf and have 2 buttons set up 1 is on tracking Zone and the other is on tracking spot large so it's very easy to swap between the 2 this almost guarantees you will get the subject in focus as it's so quick to just push a button say if Zone grabs something you don't want it too.
I mostly use the FE 600f4 so that also helps but my other lenses work great too .
The only thing i don't like is that you need to set bird animal or human to optimize focus but it still works well if say your after a bird and are set on human .
As for cost well it's worth it to me as it gives me a lot more chance of getting the shot .

Rob.
Thanks Robert, I have my camera set up similarly but with the addition of the joystick being pushed as eye af. The speed and pixels will also help with sport and make it far more worthwhile shooting action at the other end of the field. If I can get the cash then I am pretty sold on the A1

I have an A1 and A7C.
if you just want a camera as a backup you can get cheaper A7 models. I know they aren't the latest and greatest in terms of AF but IQ is still top notch and they still capable.\

having said that I was used my A1 in the scenario you mentioned
I'd probably have used it too and will probably do that as it is far more likely I will keep the A9 and sell the A7R IV. I won't miss the pixels for sport if my main shooter is the A1 and the speed and iso performance for the A9 will be more useful. My other option is buy another A9 but one of the reasons I moved was to cut down on the amount of bodies and lenses I have and concentrate of quality, lightweight and performance. Barring the loss of the PC-E lenses that plan has worked really well and I have put all my eggs in the Sony basket rather than being a Nikon/Olympus shooter. Down to two bodies rather than about 6 and now have 9 lenses rather than about 20 odds.
What you said earlier about being a "do-it-all" camera is really what is making me think of pushing the wallet into the red zone. I loved that my D850s were pretty much in that category but there were compromises in terms of frame rate and none of the mirrorless advantages. The A1 seems to be top dog or thereabouts in pretty much every category(I don't shoot video)

I don't shoot video either so can't comment on that .

Rob.

Lol yep. I don't know what 'K Pop' is but I just found the video of that performance and they call it that.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9GkbIAtBLM

Korean Pop.

BTS, Blackpink etc.

Their thing is that they sing/rap and dance as a group. It's Korean Pop, normally big choreography, big stage sets.

(It is manufactured Pop to the extreme. The girls/boys are signed up when they are teenagers, like 13/14, attends "school" training in dancing, singing, performing, music, rap, dealing with press etc every day and then when they are old enough (between 18-20) they are put into a group by the label and then launched. If you are not picked you are just let go. You also have to deal with the whole "you can't have a boyfriend" and no scandal aspect of Korean culture. Or you will be dropped. Some do write some of their own music but it's VERY manufactured and polished to the 10th degree.). It's not a new idea, K-Pop has been going for a couple of decades now, actually a Korean government-backed thing to put Korean muisc on the map. It's a big business.

Last edited:
I got it for £7k or 2xD850, Nikon 400mm F2.8 plus other lenses, flashes etc. Huge investment but I have went with buy once and save money theory. If I could go to a single camera I would sell the A9 and A7R IV today. However I need two bodies to cover sport. The next difficulty will be what camera do I sell A9 or A7R Iv. The A9 would be better for sport but I'm not sure I fancy using an A1 when I am standing in the sea with waves coming in round me and a tripod pushed into the sand.
Why would you fear using an A1 in the beach scenario more than another A-series camera? If it's due to risk of damage then I'd cry whichever camera it was, BUT I'd always make sure I had adequate insurance anyway so in that regard it wouldn't matter which one it was (y)

My thoughts are that you're not going to see 'that' much difference in performance from the A9, the purpose of the A1 for me would be to ditch needing one sports camera and one high MP camera. IF the idea of an A1 is too irresistible then I would suggest ditching the A7RIV and having the A9 and A1.

Korean Pop.

BTS, Blackpink etc.

Their thing is that they sing/rap and dance as a group. It's Korean Pop, normally big choreography, big stage sets.

(It is manufactured Pop to the extreme. The girls/boys are signed up when they are teenagers, like 13/14, attends "school" training in dancing, singing, performing, music, rap, dealing with press etc every day and then when they are old enough (between 18-20) they are put into a group by the label and then launched. If you are not picked you are just let go. You also have to deal with the whole "you can't have a boyfriend" and no scandal aspect of Korean culture. Or you will be dropped. Some do write some of their own music but it's VERY manufactured and polished to the 10th degree.). It's not a new idea, K-Pop has been going for a couple of decades now, actually a Korean government-backed thing to put Korean muisc on the map. It's a big business.

Oh I see. I had no idea it was such a big thing in Korea. Those Blackpink videos are much more professionally done aren't they, very glossy.

Oh I see. I had no idea it was such a big thing in Korea. Those Blackpink videos are much more professionally done aren't they, very glossy.

Remember Psy? Gangnam Style? from like 7 years ago

That's also K-Pop.

But right now it's all BTS and Blackpink.

p.s. I love Blackpink :p

Last edited:
Remember Psy? Gangnam Style? from like 7 years ago

That's also K-Pop.

But right now it's all BTS and Blackpink.

p.s. I love Blackpink :p
Oh yes of course, Gangnam Style is Korean. Classic pop song. If you get a moment, go to youtube and watch Channel 4's Cathy Newman dancing and singing badly to it, it's pretty funny. :D

Why would you fear using an A1 in the beach scenario more than another A-series camera? If it's due to risk of damage then I'd cry whichever camera it was, BUT I'd always make sure I had adequate insurance anyway so in that regard it wouldn't matter which one it was (y)

My thoughts are that you're not going to see 'that' much difference in performance from the A9, the purpose of the A1 for me would be to ditch needing one sports camera and one high MP camera. IF the idea of an A1 is too irresistible then I would suggest ditching the A7RIV and having the A9 and A1.
It will be insured so you are right but there is a big difference in my head between risking a 5K camera and a 2K camera. I suppose it is like getting a new car rather than driving one you haven't washed for a year. A wee scratch on my old wagon really doesn't bother me but I drive much more carefully when I have a new car. I think I am pretty well decided on the A9 for a second body and one of the things I was interested in was if the A1 had noticeably better AF than the A9. mainly for sports. I know it will work better for birds but I probably spend more time on sports than any other genre

It will be insured so you are right but there is a big difference in my head between risking a 5K camera and a 2K camera. I suppose it is like getting a new car rather than driving one you haven't washed for a year. A wee scratch on my old wagon really doesn't bother me but I drive much more carefully when I have a new car. I think I am pretty well decided on the A9 for a second body and one of the things I was interested in was if the A1 had noticeably better AF than the A9. mainly for sports. I know it will work better for birds but I probably spend more time on sports than any other genre

Interesting when I get a new car I absolutely hammer it for the first wee while to find its limits.

A camera is a tool for taking photographs that is what you buy it for as long as it’s insured you shouldn’t be worrying about it getting damaged.

A cosmetic scratch on a camera body doesn’t effect what photos you can capture with it.

Last edited:
Just a beach scene at Marske. A7 and Sony 35mm f1.8.

qkKno8Q.jpg

I was at nearby Redcar yesterday and watched one of these tractors set off without a trailer and they look serious fun. It looked quite quick and there looked to be some serious torque too. I also watched a hatch back and trailer set off and recover an inflatable boat from the sea which looked to me to be a much riskier operation as just maybe it could have got stuck. One patch of unfriendly sand and that would be it. It's not something I'd attempt in a run of the mill road car. Not if the tied was anywhere near turning.

Nice scene Alan. But where are all the kids throwing sand around and shouting for another ice cream? :p

BTW.

I got a new laptop. What a pain putting everything on and getting it set up.

I'll try and put CS5 on it sometime over the next couple of days. I do hope adobe play nice and allow it to be used on my new pc.

It's a lot faster than the old one, partly no doubt because bloatware hasn't had time to do its worst. Oh, and the keyboard all lights up in red, how nice :D

BTW.

I got a new laptop. What a pain putting everything on and getting it set up.

I'll try and put CS5 on it sometime over the next couple of days. I do hope adobe play nice and allow it to be used on my new pc.

It's a lot faster than the old one, partly no doubt because bloatware hasn't had time to do its worst. Oh, and the keyboard all lights up in red, how nice :D

That might make you want to play games at home on your new electronic device. :LOL:

That might make you want to play games at home on your new electronic device. :LOL:

Not much chance I'm afraid even if this one is described as a games one.

I used to play a pool game but since the flash play went it wont work. The only game I played before that was Elite, a space game and that was over 20 years ago. I usually have no interest in games. Good luck to those who enjoy them but they're not for me :D

I used to play a pool game but since the flash play went it wont work. The only game I played before that was Elite, a space game and that was over 20 years ago. I usually have no interest in games. Good luck to those who enjoy them but they're not for me :D
I was really addicted to games for many years. Built my pc from scratch and got into all of that. The best gaming card and cpu I could afford at the time, usually just midrange stuff. Only play the odd puzzle game on my phone now while on the train with the camera gear. I still love games but I'm scared to touch them because I never get anything else done. And besides, I get more satisfaction from photography now.

Yeah I get this regarding a new car. I try to keep everything I have as pristine as possible, however things don’t stay new forever :(

Regarding the cameras £2k is still a shed load of cash so I doubt I’d be any less upset.

Yeah I get this regarding a new car. I try to keep everything I have as pristine as possible, however things don’t stay new forever :(

Regarding the cameras £2k is still a shed load of cash so I doubt I’d be any less upset.

I made a scratch/ding on my brand new PRS Custom 24 10-top on day 1, about 30 mins after opening the box. I was trying to be ultra careful when moving it around, lifting it high up away from things like coffee table then the top of the guitar hit my lamp shade in the ceiling which is made from frosted glass!

I’ll let you Google how much these costs new…even though I got it on sale my heart still sunk.

I don’t get computers games either. I used to play Football Manager but it was very addictive and I literally couldn’t stop. Lost days at a time. I worked in retail back then and would often take a sickie so I could play or because I had been up all night playing. Eventually my missus barred it from the house.

200-600mm ordered :clap:

Had to do it otherwise it would have meant I wasted my money buying the teleconverter.

Really good lens, I miss mine a little but I just couldn't justify keeping for all the use I gave it.

Last edited:
Tamron have officially announced 3 new lenses under development, 18-300mm f3.5-6.3 (APS-C), 35-150mm f2-2.8 and the 28-75mm f2.8 G2.

Suppose it isn't much good for weddings now there is no social distancing anymore :)

We are still social distancing here.

Just been too busy with work to shoot anything at all for myself and can’t see that changing any time soon.

I've spent a few hours setting up my new pc and installing CS5 and Nik filters. the screen on this one seems better than old one and I'm finally seeing skin tones as they should be...

Ke5YxW1.jpg

Happy Days :D

New Sony skin tones? ;)

Fingers crossed we had a decent night sky session earlier. I say finger crossed because it was pretty breezy at the beach for 90 second exposures!

Back