The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

200-600mm ordered :clap:

Had to do it otherwise it would have meant I wasted my money buying the teleconverter.
Lovely lens I actually prefer this to my Sony 100-400mm G lens - which I have not used for months :(

Les :)

I've spent a few hours setting up my new pc and installing CS5 and Nik filters. the screen on this one seems better than old one and I'm finally seeing skin tones as they should be...

Ke5YxW1.jpg

Happy Days :D
Looks a bit chilly where you are.

Yeah I noticed that, amatuer mistake :p
I'm getting lazy, or she's wearing bright green gloves, you decide :D

This new pc is a rocket ship compared to the last one, I just hope bloatware doesn't kill it.

Oh and when I loaded CS5 I used the original disk for the first time and the receipt was still in there... over £600 in 2011. I managed to get the basic Nik filters for free and if anyone is interested here's a link as I couldn't find it on the Adobe site, it used to be there but I can't see it now. Anyway, you can get the free one here, it takes a while but it works...

Tamron have officially announced 3 new lenses under development, 18-300mm f3.5-6.3 (APS-C), 35-150mm f2-2.8 and the 28-75mm f2.8 G2.
old news ;)

35-150mm would be a perfect astro lens for me if its well coma corrected. definitely interested.

Tamron have officially announced 3 new lenses under development, 18-300mm f3.5-6.3 (APS-C), 35-150mm f2-2.8 and the 28-75mm f2.8 G2.

Tamron are really on it, good to see. That 28-75mm interested me for a moment but then I remembered they already have a 17-70 which is more in the focal range I want. But the Sony 16-55 still interests me more as it's smaller for one thing.

That Tamron 35 -150 at those apertures is very good. I've only got one Tamron lens for my Canon, I think it's 70 to 300mm, but from my little experience with Tamron, the vibration control has satisfying feedback when enabled, it feels a bit more stable and locked on than with the OSS on my Sony 70 to 350mm.

Last edited:
There's a new Voigtlander coming, Leica fit though...

gBbaZiY.jpg

Could be adapted to Sony :D

I'd like a Voigtlander 50mm f1.4 of the same size and quality as the 35mm f1.4. I have the 50mm f2 apo which is I suppose small and compact by some standards but I'd still like a Sony mount one like the 35mm f1.4.

Last edited:
There seem to be multiple sites stating that the A9 has been discontinued. They may of course all be from a wrong source or as this article says it may be because everyone is out of stock but if not the time to find a nice new one may be limited.

Last edited:
From my latest excursion
20G, f1.8, 32 images stack at 8s each for 256s total
51375443687_b7ae67bc09_b.jpg
Stunning, I do love these Milky Way photos. If I had the patience I'd love to give it a go at some point.

Nice. Sunflowers are a good foreground too! There is usually a field over in Wiltshire I want to try at some point. What are the dark areas? Is that bits of cloud?
This was in Whilshire.
There was too much light pollution to contend with tbh. I suggest trying the sunflower field in Swansea

bit too far for me but close enough for you I think.

you mean dark spot on the right side of the Milky Way? Yes the odd passing cloud coupled with my local changes.
I will process this better and replace the foreground slightly with sunflowers facing my way later on from a shot earlier on in the day.

Actually went to photograph the perseid but didn't really get much.... photographing in this field was bit of a challenge because they are 1.5x taller than me (I am 5'8"), so I had get the tripod up and balance it on a small platform. I wasn't confident setting up and using MSM without much control. The trees were blocking out the Polaris behind me too. on the other side there was no way to get higher to shoot perseids over the field.

Stunning, I do love these Milky Way photos. If I had the patience I'd love to give it a go at some point.
Patience when you are supposed to be in a cozy bed sleeping :ROFLMAO:
You'e really got the bit between your teeth now, haven't you? :)
getting there :)
still a fair bit more to learn....

This was in Whilshire.
There was too much light pollution to contend with tbh. I suggest trying the sunflower field in Swansea

bit too far for me but close enough for you I think.

you mean dark spot on the right side of the Milky Way? Yes the odd passing cloud coupled with my local changes.
I will process this better and replace the foreground slightly with sunflowers facing my way later on from a shot earlier on in the day.

Actually went to photograph the perseid but didn't really get much.... photographing in this field was bit of a challenge because they are 1.5x taller than me (I am 5'8"), so I had get the tripod up and balance it on a small platform. I wasn't confident setting up and using MSM without much control. The trees were blocking out the Polaris behind me too. on the other side there was no way to get higher to shoot perseids over the field.

Just east of Chippenham? iirc...... Yes, a few dark patches dotted around. I shot with the MSM and without a few nights ago - it was pretty windy risking 90 second exposures!

Just east of Chippenham? iirc...... Yes, a few dark patches dotted around. I shot with the MSM and without a few nights ago - it was pretty windy risking 90 second exposures!
yes that's right. They asked not to publicise it too much since I guess they don't want too many photographers there at night.

From my latest excursion
20G, f1.8, 32 images stack at 8s each for 256s total

How do you stack the pictures if the stars move? If you track the stars the foreground will "move"? So how, some special software?

How do you stack the pictures if the stars move? If you track the stars the foreground will "move"? So how, some special software?

If you shoot 6 single 15-20 second images for the whole scene you can "mask" the sky in Sequator and it will stack the images together.

If tracking, the foreground will move so you stack the sky images and have to take separate foreground images which will have star trails and then blend the two in PP.

If you shoot 6 single 15-20 second images for the whole scene you can "mask" the sky in Sequator and it will stack the images together.

If tracking, the foreground will move so you stack the sky images and have to take separate foreground images which will have star trails and then blend the two in PP.
Realistically, whats the maximum single exposure you can get away with, within the constraints of Sony ISO and star movement?

Ah, thanks for the clue.

Realistically, whats the maximum single exposure you can get away with, within the constraints of Sony ISO and star movement?

Focal length/300 or 500 or there abouts. Not that I take many, years ago I did some but not recently. So 20mm/300= 15 seconds or there abouts? 20mm/500=25 seconds for the non fussy?

Really depends on the aperture and shutter speed.
For example with 35GM I'd shoot around f1.4, 5-6s, ISO3200-6400

What advantage do you see in using a high ISO and faster shutter speed over a lower ISO and longer shutter speed?

What advantage do you see in using a high ISO and faster shutter speed over a lower ISO and longer shutter speed?

For me on the A7, I can shoot at 15 seconds at 20mm - if you weren't zooming in pixel peeping or too fussy it could probably stretch to 20 seconds. I'll be around 10 seconds at 35mm. The aperture of the lenses virtually balance out the exposure differences. ISO 1250 as a starter for single shots.

Your biggest issue/aim is decent light gathering. Really it's best to slightly over expose the night skies. On a tracker at 90-120 seconds exposure you can shoot a good two stops lower an ISO.

I think I have some shots at 20mm and 25 seconds. If you look at 100% you'll see that stars are begining to stretch but unless you're going to print big and look close this will be invisible at anything like normal viewing. Should be ok for A3 and normal viewing. Keeping the picture size and viewing in mind will influence the settings chosen.

A computer question...

I've just plugged my A7 into my pc with a usb lead and every few seconds it goes "Beep beep Beep." Under "Advanced sound options" there's "App volume device preferences" and "App volume" and it's this that I've turned down.

Is this the right way to kill this beeping? Or is a hammer called for?

Asking for a friend.

It shouldn't keep beeping after initially finding it.
Can you transfer files or whatever you want to do I would wonder if driver needs updating.
Could be bad connection in lead or plugs either end.

The files transferred over fine and I've left it plugged in charging the battery but when I turn the App Volume back up the periodic beeping is still there. It's the first time I've plugged the camera into this pc and it did recognise it straight away, there are no obvious error messages or notifications.

It's an odd one.

Thanks for replying.

Last edited:
A computer question...

I've just plugged my A7 into my pc with a usb lead and every few seconds it goes "Beep beep Beep." Under "Advanced sound options" there's "App volume device preferences" and "App volume" and it's this that I've turned down.

Is this the right way to kill this beeping? Or is a hammer called for?

Asking for a friend.
Have you tried a different usb port or even the esata port to see if you still get the beeps on those?

Have you tried a different usb port or even the esata port to see if you still get the beeps on those?

No, I just used the one port which didn't give this constant bleep when using my external drive. I'll give another port a go but if I can't solve it turning down the volume may be a good enough fix.

Thanks all.

Back