The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Oh dear. My bleeping pc.

I changed the USB cable and that made no difference then I spotted that the camera battery isn't recharging so I tried another port and that's fine, no beeping and the battery is charging. It looks like this pc has a dodgy usb port. ThHis will be the second duff lap top in a row, although the first was a different make.

It's taken hours to get this set up and everything back on it. Bugger.

I feel your pain. Me & the missus both got new phones today...... :rolleyes:

Have you tried a different usb port or even the esata port to see if you still get the beeps on those?

I tried another port and that's fine, no beeping and the battery is charging.

You're welcome. :D But seriously, sorry to hear that. However, it's possible to open the laptop up and replace the usb port. But since it's new you should get the port replaced under warranty and you won't have to reinstall anything you've put onto the hard drive.

I feel your pain. Me & the missus both got new phones today...... :rolleyes:
I got a new one yesterday my Nephew set it up, took about half an hour Iv spent 3 hours just trying to get it to blink when i get an email still not done it will have another go tomorrow lol

Rob.
oh and good luck with yours.

Oh dear. My bleeping pc.

I changed the USB cable and that made no difference then I spotted that the camera battery isn't recharging so I tried another port and that's fine, no beeping and the battery is charging. It looks like this pc has a dodgy usb port. ThHis will be the second duff lap top in a row, although the first was a different make.

It's taken hours to get this set up and everything back on it. Bugger.

Not all USB ports can charge effectively, and there may be something in the manual about it.

The potentially duff USB is a 3.2 gen 1 which googling tells me should power a device and the working one is the same so that pretty much seals it.

It's a PITA. 2nd faulty one. There seems to be pretty much zero quality control these days.

Actually I think this started years ago as some companies just assume or hope everything works and don't fully test as dealing with the DOA's is cheaper than doing the inspection and test. This was the case with one of the companies I did work for, they used to inspect and test at every stage then scrapped the lot and in some cases didn't even do a functional test on the final build.

Oh well, back to square 1 tomorrow.

I got a new one yesterday my Nephew set it up, took about half an hour Iv spent 3 hours just trying to get it to blink when i get an email still not done it will have another go tomorrow lol

Rob.

My nephew once got access to my pc and caused all sorts of grief. He signed me up to facebook and people started asking me why I hadn't replied to them. When I said I wasn't on it they said "Oh yes you are" and when I looked I was. Luckily he'd used one of my usual passwords that I was able to guess to shut it down. He also sent "I love you" messages to people I didn't. Little swine.

You're welcome. :D But seriously, sorry to hear that. However, it's possible to open the laptop up and replace the usb port. But since it's new you should get the port replaced under warranty and you won't have to reinstall anything you've put onto the hard drive.

I'm not going to bother as if I don't fix it and later return it and they suspect I've had the back off they'll doubtless not play nice.

Rob.

It's not too bad. Just time consuming finding where everything is and that Samsung call the same things different makes to Sony etc...

It takes me at least a day to set up a phone and remember/duplicate all the app permissions that I have set...

Get an Apple … :exit:. When I left IT I swore I would never “mess” with computers again. I went totally Apple - desktop, laptop, phones, tablets - and have so far, for the last 15 years, kept my promise.

How much for a 17" screen Apple lap top? Remember I'm "careful" with money.

AO.com point me to Acea so it looks like this will be a repair rather than a replacement.

AO.com point me to Acea so it looks like this will be a repair rather than a replacement.
My wife just bought this for her course work as a Clinical Nurse - not sure if a 17 inch screen is available - this one is 16 inch and refurbished

Les :)

Get an Apple … :exit:. When I left IT I swore I would never “mess” with computers again. I went totally Apple - desktop, laptop, phones, tablets - and have so far, for the last 15 years, kept my promise.
Last iPhone I had, made me want to throw it out of the window. Luckily it sold before I did!

My wife just bought this for her course work as a Clinical Nurse - not sure if a 17 inch screen is available - this one is 16 inch and refurbished

Les :)

It may be nice but also twice the price for a used one.

I've just replaced the driver to predictably no effect as the other ports work and am awaiting instructions from Acer. I expect it'll go off for repair.

Soothing image.

ak5pg6W.jpg

Zt3YzEe.jpg

Last edited:
A very wet walk along the river Dee in Chester. Although I didn't want it to go to waste and I managed to still snag a few shots.

It's my first time using a Sony body. I've always used Canon in the past. I really like the A7R IIIA and I used a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8.

Attachments

• DSC00188.jpg
    DSC00188.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC00174.jpg
    DSC00174.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC00136.jpg
    DSC00136.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC00163.jpg
    DSC00163.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 8
It may be nice but also twice the price for a used one.

I've just replaced the driver to predictably no effect as the other ports work and am awaiting instructions from Acer. I expect it'll go off for repair
FWIW apple's implementation of USB is not great, and USB port hardware problems used to be common - that may have changed with thunderbolt.

FWIW apple's implementation of USB is not great, and USB port hardware problems used to be common - that may have changed with thunderbolt.
I’ve never had a problem with USB or USB-C using any apple product (y)

Long may that continue.
The only USB port problems I've had with MacBooks since 2006 have been to do with flash card readers.

Readers that worked OK on Windows and Linux would randomly decide they didn't wish to talk with the OS-X machines. The affected machines were 2006, 2012 and the original 2011 Air. In every case, I found that O/S upgrades would resolve the problem for a while but it would later re-appear. I should have pursued it but it was never a show stopper and I was very busy at the time.

:tumbleweed:

I found that only USB hardware bought from Apple was reliable, and like you, other kit worked fine with non-apple hardware but malfunctioned with my Mac. There was also an issue at one time with USB pen drives being altered so they only worked at a slower rate than intended - I've no idea why.

The potentially duff USB is a 3.2 gen 1 which googling tells me should power a device and the working one is the same so that pretty much seals it.

It's a PITA. 2nd faulty one. There seems to be pretty much zero quality control these days.

Actually I think this started years ago as some companies just assume or hope everything works and don't fully test as dealing with the DOA's is cheaper than doing the inspection and test. This was the case with one of the companies I did work for, they used to inspect and test at every stage then scrapped the lot and in some cases didn't even do a functional test on the final build.

Oh well, back to square 1 tomorrow.

I don't think your USB ports are faulty, the charging cable for the Sony A7 needs to be the original one you got with the camera, looking online, it seems to be especially picky, personally
i would never charge this way, it charges around 30% that of a regular mains charger, and FW50's are so rubbish just stick to mains.

I don't think your USB ports are faulty, the charging cable for the Sony A7 needs to be the original one you got with the camera, looking online, it seems to be especially picky, personally
i would never charge this way, it charges around 30% that of a regular mains charger, and FW50's are so rubbish just stick to mains.

Surely charged is charged regardless of how crap the batteries are? Will they last longer if charged by the mains?

Surely charged is charged regardless of how crap the batteries are? Will they last longer if charged by the mains?
No technically they'll last longer charged via the computer as it will create less heat because of the slower charge rate.

My old A7R charged via any cable I used certainly not just the original. My A7C I charge mostly with my phone charger.

The cables I've used work with two other laptops I have plus with this new pc they work with two of the ports but not a third so it does seem to point to that port being iffy as if it was an incompatible cable which somehow worked with the other pc's but not this one the identically spec'd ports on this new pc should be expected to behave the same, as in work or don't work but they don't. Two recognise the camera and charge it but the third just bleeps at intervals and wont charge the battery.

I could be wrong and something very special could be happening but if I was still fixing this stuff the seemingly duff port would be what I'd be looking at. Looking at pictures of the inside of the pc these ports are on daughter boards connected to the main pc by ribbon cables, so it could be an electronic fault or a physical connection problem.

It wouldn't surprise me either way, electronic fault or cabling issue. When I first got into bench repair it was pure electronics, just boards, but when I started dealing with wires and cabling and backplanes and whole units and systems it amazed me how many times connection problems are the issue.

I went to Park Cameras in Oxford Street on Friday just to try out a Tenba DNA 15 bag that I ordered by click and collect to compare to my Wotancraft Pilot. I ended up buying it (£99) and now have two bags. :facepalm:

Tenba DNA 15 (3) by Merlin 5, on Flickr

I really like these Tenba bags. I have a brown DNA10 and a nice, smaller limited edition black DNA8. Good neat bags.

Makes no difference any usb cable will do as long as it has all 4 pins some cheap old cables only have 2 pins which means they can't charge and can only be used for transfer they are quite rare now though they don't make that sort of cable any more.

The whole thing about trickle charging via slow usb is nonsense if anything usb charging can be more problematic as if there is an issue it can cause a surge and fry the cameras board from that point of view mains charging outside of the camera is better.

Makes no difference any usb cable will do as long as it has all 4 pins some cheap old cables only have 2 pins which means they can't charge and can only be used for transfer they are quite rare now though they don't make that sort of cable any more.

The whole thing about trickle charging via slow usb is nonsense if anything usb charging can be more problematic as if there is an issue it can cause a surge and fry the cameras board from that point of view mains charging outside of the camera is better.

I tend to do all of it depending really. PC USB, original charger & I have an aftermarket twin battery charger too.

I tend to do all of it depending really. PC USB, original charger & I have an aftermarket twin battery charger too.

I have quite a few of the Sony oem chargers now but I still top up using usb from time to time.

They don’t make 17 inch ones any more. I do have a rather nice 16inch in the classifieds though ;-)

They don’t make 17 inch ones any more. I do have a rather nice 16inch in the classifieds though ;-)

I'm waiting for the duff one to come back. I have mixed feelings as I'm having to wait for them to repair it but on the other hand if they can fix it at least I don't have to spend a day setting a replacement up.

Back