The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

When I was younger I drank like a fish but these days I'm strictly a glass of wine or cider with or after a meal drinker. Mrs WW gets drunk at the smell of alcohol and wont drink now since she danced on the table at her works leaving do :D

I don't eat Toblerone but I do like Twin Peaks bars and got one yesterday, fruit and nut, I also got some liquorish comfits and a box of marzipan fruits.

When I was younger I drank like a fish but these days I'm strictly a glass of wine or cider with or after a meal drinker. Mrs WW gets drunk at the smell of alcohol and wont drink now since she danced on the table at her works leaving do :D

I don't eat Toblerone but I do like Twin Peaks bars and got one yesterday, fruit and nut, I also got some liquorish comfits and a box of marzipan fruits.
I don’t drink much these days either but when I do I really do.

It always surprises me that the very odd time these days that I meet up with my old crew that we all immediately switch back straight away to the people we were 20 odd years ago and get into the same sort of strife. The only difference being that it takes about a week to recover now.

We are all so respectable now but all it takes for us to all go off the rails is to be in each other’s company. :p:

I'll have the fruits if you don't want them. I'm a marzipan fiend.
:D

This was the year of the gift vouchers for me. I guess people didn't know what to buy me when I said no camera stuff. :D

So I am now the proud owner of £300 worth of vouchers for House of Frazer, I have never shopped here but apparently its a department store, £200 of M&S vouchers and a £50 voucher for Amazon.

It was also the year of the socks with a record haul of 8 different pairs. Also got the usual aftershave, some clothes and my youngest bought me a self stirring mug which is actually my favourite gift, it's great for frothing up milk in coffee and for hot chocolate. One of my brothers got me a Meguiars car cleaning kit which was a bit of a bummer as I had ordered a kit myself from EZ car cleaning just before Christmas. Got a few bottle's of wine as well.

Not sure these people know me at all. No vodka at all, to be fair I had stocked up on grey goose for Christmas anyway and also no Toblerone. :mad: Wasn't feeling great Christmas day so to be on the safe side did a Covid test and thankfully it was negative, didn't fancy spending Christmas day on my own, did another one when I got up this morning and am still showing negative. Woke up fresh as a daisy this morning as I didn't drink much at all, the wife's still in bed sleeping off her hangover, probably exhausted as well. We had 14 for dinner and she also did an extra couple of dinners to send over the fence to the wee elderly couple that live next door.

We suffered a Covid Christmas, daughters “release” date was Christmas Day. Only for my son to test positive on the Wednesday. Me and the wife been testing daily and we’ve been negative all the way through. Still, had a good family day and I had no pants and socks as gifts!

I'll have the fruits if you don't want them. I'm a marzipan fiend.
:D

Sadly for YOU they're one of my favourites. So you're not getting any! So There!

My sister made us a lovely Xmas cake covered in icing with marzipan, icing and almonds on top so you can have a slice of that :D

Mrs WW apparently happy with her card and prezzies.

Creaking old Sony A7 and Sony 35mm f1.8

phqo8sg.jpg

Last edited:
We suffered a Covid Christmas, daughters “release” date was Christmas Day. Only for my son to test positive on the Wednesday. Me and the wife been testing daily and we’ve been negative all the way through. Still, had a good family day and I had no pants and socks as gifts!
Glad it didn’t disturb the day too much! Such a pain in the arse.

Went to House of Fraser earlier to spend my gift voucher. Jesus you don’t get much for £300 in there.

Had a coat in my hand until I looked at the price £425. :oops: :$ No thanks!

Ended up getting a bottle of Creed that I would never normally buy as it’s a ridiculous price and my eldest got a hoody. £300 gone just like that.

For your viewing pleasure...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIwGGLDwjJ0&t=611s

Yet again complaints about the menus and incomprehension which I always find odd as even though I don't use many of the options they still very mostly make sense to me. Has anyone else had the plug failures and dust contamination issues this guy has had?

Last edited:
Nothing can compete with an Olympus OMD in that respect
Sony solved that problem a decade and a half ago: just fix a really good lens permanently to a well designed mirrorless body.

Look: no dust! :naughty:

Camera Sony DSC-R1 TZ40 1000698.jpg

EDIT: Got one

If anyone has a 28-70mm 3.5-5.6 kit lens in good nick for a decent price then I want to hear about it in my wanted post please.

Last edited:
The rumor site reports that there are firmware updates for the A7RIVa and Tamron primes...

I'd forgotten these "a" cameras existed. has anyone got one?

The Olympus Trip. I had one of those.

And Jeez, the comments on there make the OOF and HT sections here look friendly :D

I know I had and used a Trip but I can't remember what pictures I took with it or where they are now. Oh well.

Last edited:
Yeah I have to agree with the dust issue. Nothing can compete with an Olympus OMD in that respect

I may have just been lucky but I change lenses in any and all conditions and have very very few issues and very rarely need to do a wet clean. I haven't had any serious issue since my Canon 5D, which was just awful for dust bunnies.

I may have just been lucky but I change lenses in any and all conditions and have very very few issues and very rarely need to do a wet clean. I haven't had any serious issue since my Canon 5D, which was just awful for dust bunnies.
I dont get a lot but I never wet cleaned my OMD EM5ii

I saw an interesting thread on another forum asking if your kit was complete.

Mine.
Sony A7.
Sony 28-70mm f3.5-3.6, 20, 35, 55 and 85mm f1.8's, 24 and 35mm f2.8.
Voigtlander 35mm f1.4, 40mm f1.2 and 50mm f2.

Panasonic MTF.
GM5, GX80, GX9. 14-42mm f3.5-5.6, 12-35mm f2.8, 45-150mm, 100-400mm, 14mm f2.5, 20mm f1.7. Olympus 11-18mm, 17, 25 and 45mm f1.8's.
Quite a bit of that lot should be sold on but I never seem to get around to selling it.

Panasonic TZ100.

Stuff that tempts me includes a wide lens for my Sony A7 as I used to have a Sigma 12-24mm, and a long lens but I do have a 100-400mm for MFT. I suppose my A7 wont last forever but I can't really see myself buying another camera until there's a problem with it.

Canon FD, Minolta Rokkor, Nikon and other film era lenses and adapters.
I've been thinking of selling most of these but there doesn't seem to be any interest except at give away prices. They may go away as a job lot in a box one day to a used buyer and seller.

What surprised me in the other thread was the amount of high end gear and duplication but I suppose I can understand both as sometimes it's not about what you need but what you want and sometimes it is nice to have kit which is almost the same but different enough to you to matter and justify having both.

The rumor site reports that there are firmware updates for the A7RIVa and Tamron primes...

I'd forgotten these "a" cameras existed. has anyone got one?

The Olympus Trip. I had one of those.

And Jeez, the comments on there make the OOF and HT sections here look friendly :D

I know I had and used a Trip but I can't remember what pictures I took with it or where they are now. Oh well.
I have the a7R4a
Its meant to have an updated viewfinder and monitor but I still think its pretty poor for low light or night photography.
Great camera though ;)

It's difficult to know what the problem is but maybe diving into the dreaded menu system and altering the display settings could help? Either that or you are being limited by the restrictions imposed by the widest aperture your lenses offer.

I don't do much really low light picture taking but I don't remember any real problems and this is with my creaking old A7. The only camera I have had problems with was my old Panasonic G1 the EVF of which kicked out so much light it hurt my eyes whilst at the same time failing to show things I could easily see by eye. Its back screen was much better.

Last edited:
That list is full of mistakes

Maybe he hasn't quite sobered up yet after a Merry Christmas.

I voted for the 28mm f2.8 in the hope that it is really the 24mm f2.8 which I do think is a good lens, it has epic distortion but it does go away once the lens profile is applied.

Last edited:
For your viewing pleasure...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIwGGLDwjJ0&t=611s

Yet again complaints about the menus and incomprehension which I always find odd as even though I don't use many of the options they still very mostly make sense to me. Has anyone else had the plug failures and dust contamination issues this guy has had?
I haven't watched the video but no dust or plug issues for me.

Happy belated Christmas to everyone (y)

Last edited:
£1100 cheaper than the Mkii must be a deal I guess.

Back