The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

It's dull, flat and dead here again.

On sensors I suppose I am a bit greedy. I'd like more dynamic range to cope with the sun low in the sky and retain shadow detail and I'd like better high ISO performance and better performance under artificial lighting which IMO can be a real killer but my creaking old A7 may be behind the best here.

Get well soon nandbytes. C19 or something else?
I'd imagine at some point sensor tech will change completely and sensors as we know them won't exist, in the meantime it wouldn't surprise me if tech helps with more DR, something like a lightning fast HDR applied to raw files so that you can shoot 3 shot HDR at the speed of one shot.

I read somewhere recently that Sony has a new sensor, three layers or something... time will tell if this or some Foveon like sensor or something completely new will give us a significant step forward. Or maybe the next step forward will come more from the computational side of things or combining shots in camera.

I think we’re pretty much at the limit of what current sensors are capable of, but I also wonder if we really need more?

I think photography’s going to move more onto the computational side of things with tricks like the ability to change focus and dof in post. I wouldn’t be surprised if we can alter the bokeh in post too in the future. You’ll basically be able to stick a 24-300mm lens on and get pretty much whatever shot and look you want.

Well I often have thought the same about TVs since full HD 1080 arrived. I thought it couldn't possibly get better and now I find 1080 to look old and soft sometimes because I've been watching 4k. 8k has come out but I've never seen it in person yet. I find it hard to imagine what's after 8k. 16k?

I think there's still a lot of room to get better out of a camera sensor and that's why they're releasing medium formats more now but then again I seen Thomas Heatons video with the 150MP Phase One and thought it looked less sharp than the Fuji he was using despite it being a mere fraction of what the PO costs. It's mind boggling stuff.

The rumor guy says...

"After two years of pandemic I hope 2022 will be the year we will slowly get back to normality. I also do hope Sony will be able to get around the chip shortage issue because I know they have many great cameras ready to be launched. Two of them I already mentioned: A7rV and A9III. But I heard of one more that could let you jump off the chair…. ;)"

I wonder what this shocking chair jump camera could be? MF? Curved sensor RX1? High performance jobbie with a global shutter or at least no shutter? ZV1mkII? :D

Time will tell.

And shock of shocks... We had a sunny morning here but it's clouding over now and there's too much wind for outdoor flower and detail shots.

Well I often have thought the same about TVs since full HD 1080 arrived. I thought it couldn't possibly get better and now I find 1080 to look old and soft sometimes because I've been watching 4k. 8k has come out but I've never seen it in person yet. I find it hard to imagine what's after 8k. 16k?

I think there's still a lot of room to get better out of a camera sensor and that's why they're releasing medium formats more now but then again I seen Thomas Heatons video with the 150MP Phase One and thought it looked less sharp than the Fuji he was using despite it being a mere fraction of what the PO costs. It's mind boggling stuff.
Yeah you can go bigger, but in terms of noise and DR the fact we’ve not seen any real improvement for a number of years suggests to me that manufacturers are struggling to extract any more out of the sensors/hardware.

Happy new year to everyone from Jamaica, hope you all stay healthy, get rich and enjoy this one more than 2021

Attachments

• 20211229_133530.JPG
    20211229_133530.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 27
Happy new year to everyone from Jamaica, hope you all stay healthy, get rich and enjoy this one more than 2021
Loving the sloping sea- is that for water skiing?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Some things in the picture appear to be straight so this may have been a perspective choice of what appears straight rather than keeping the camera level?

It was a boozy lunch so I have no idea to be honest. We are flying home early later today, my wife's brother passed from a heart attack, he only turned 30 a couple of months ago ☹️

Some things in the picture appear to be straight so this may have been a perspective choice of what appears straight rather than keeping the camera level?
Water should always be level :p

Water should always be level :p

I don't know, I think for landscape maybe but for artistic or Dutch angle reasons or because it makes a better picture when something else is more important in the picture then why not?

But that one or Martins only seems to be about 1deg out CW so it's "correctable." :D

It's funny that I can hold my Panasonic RF style cameras level without thinking about it but I have to make a conscious effort to keep my A7 level.

Last edited:
And I'm sure I was using the level in the camera phone when I took the shot as I have been trying to remember to use it, but I had been drinking so anything was possible

Last edited:
It was a boozy lunch so I have no idea to be honest. We are flying home early later today, my wife's brother passed from a heart attack, he only turned 30 a couple of months ago ☹️
Yeah, she is in bits, never a nice thing, but so early is a really cruel thing
Indeed sorry to hear the news. Lost two of my cousins to COVID last year (on the same day no less!), both were around 45.

Really sucked to lose someone that young let alone even younger.

Am I the only one that gets annoyed with the Sony emails having photos of the Alpha backpacks and them not even existing when you click through to the store :banghead:? It's not that I even want one:ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 16.25.33.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 16.25.33.png
    377.6 KB · Views: 9
Amazing.

Typing in "bag" or "back" (for back pack) brings up nothing, but you can google them and they're out there.

Yeah you can go bigger, but in terms of noise and DR the fact we’ve not seen any real improvement for a number of years suggests to me that manufacturers are struggling to extract any more out of the sensors/hardware.
I would agree, I remember it seemed such a huge jump up to the D700 for its high iso and then the D750 was a slight improvement but for me the IQ hasn't really moved on much since then unless needing more resolution. The A9's stacked sensor has been the first big change since then and its silent, blackout free shooting can be so useful at times but I'm caught between Nikon and Sony as I find the D750's IQ is still a bit better especially in dynamic range (which matches the DXOmark results) so it doesn't seem worth changing over some of the stuff I used less frequently (flash, F2.8 zooms etc.) over to Sony.

It's always tough to lose someone whatever the circumstances but it's exceptionally painful when it's someone young as there's so much that has been lost.

Sorry to hear this, sincere condolences.

Just seen in another thread that I posted more than anyone else in 2021! That doesn't come as much of a surprise to me :D as I'm tied to home a lot.

Anyway. On with it...

I saw the Nikon 40mm f2 on another site...

I wonder how this compares to the Sony 40mm f2.5 G? The Nikon lens is cheaper.

There's a thread on Fred Miranda about these little G lenses but the 24mm that I have doesn't seem to get a mention. I think people are put off by the distortion, I'm not as it seems to clear up well post capture and as I read that it's wider than 24mm before correction I don't feel like I'm losing out on width after correction although I might check it against one of my film era 24mm's just to see what's going on.

The 40 and 50mm f2.5 G's look very tempting to me but as I have the 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 it doesn't really make a lot of sense for me to get one.

Last edited:
Just seen in another thread that I posted more than anyone else in 2021! That doesn't come as much of a surprise to me :D as I'm tied to home a lot.

Anyway. On with it...

I saw the Nikon 40mm f2 on another site...

I wonder how this compares to the Sony 40mm f2.5 G? The Nikon lens is cheaper.

There's a thread on Fred Miranda about these little G lenses but the 24mm that I have doesn't seem to get a mention. I think people are put off by the distortion, I'm not as it seems to clear up well post capture and as I read that it's wider than 24mm before correction I don't feel like I'm losing out on width after correction although I might check it against one of my film era 24mm's just to see what's going on.

The 40 and 50mm f2.5 G's look very tempting to me but as I have the 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 it doesn't really make a lot of sense for me to get one.
If you are shooting Sony doesn't matter a huge lot how they compare because you can't use the Nikon lens on Sony.
It's only really a consideration if you are considering to swap to a Nikon body for this lens.

If you are shooting Sony doesn't matter a huge lot how they compare because you can't use the Nikon lens on Sony.
It's only really a consideration if you are considering to swap to a Nikon body for this lens.

I do know that. I was just wondering how it compares and it's f2 whereas the Sony is f2.5 so it'd be interesting to see if there are any compromises at the wider settings. I'm not thinking about buying one.

Build wise it does look cheaper.

The Tamron 16~300mm makes a very useful companion to the A65. All the way from 24mm to 450mm in full frame terms. Useful in confined spaces like the Yorkshire Air Museum's Control Tower...

Control tower interior at Yorkshire Air Museum A65 DSC02717.JPG

Sorry if you never look at this the same way again, but he looks like he's taking a dump down a well.

Sorry :D

Managed to just about get my daylight (just about) record shot, it was a bit windy though so I just had to guess when to press the shutter as the flower swayed.

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4. Made it to New Year.

GM5d7zr.jpg

Last edited:
We've just had a depressing walk to the shops. Our usual walk is along "The Lines" which have open rough ground on our right were we can walk and pick brambles and raspberries but it's going in big bites. A lot of houses have been built at the northern end and they're heading south and taking more land. Today we saw this, a large bank of earth 7 or 8 ft high, which looks to be the beginning of more housing.

A7 and 24mm f2.8.

RM3Tsfk.jpg

Through a gap...

hpCQii3.jpg

They can't go any further to the south as they're now up up against a park containing football and cricket pitches and a war memorial but it looks like another large chunk of local ground has now been taken for housing. What a shame. I don't know for sure but I'm told that many buyers of these new builds are southerners selling up and retiring to the cheaper north.

Last edited:
Back