The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I have not posted on TP for many years but am considering purchasing the Sony A74 plus 200-600 lens so thought that I would take a quick look at this thread.

Lots of great images throughout but the dunnock shot above is simply amazing !

VERY nice capture Ant.

Would be delighted to find out what your workflow (denoise/sharpening) workflow was.

Thanks for posting these lovely images.

I have not posted on TP for many years but am considering purchasing the Sony A74 plus 200-600 lens so thought that I would take a quick look at this thread.

Lots of great images throughout but the dunnock shot above is simply amazing !

VERY nice capture Ant.

Would be delighted to find out what your workflow (denoise/sharpening) workflow was.

Thanks for posting these lovely images.

Thanks, it was taken this morning and I had to bump ISO to 2000 to get anything close to usable. I always complete the edit and crop etc in Lightroom and my final step is to run through Topaz DenoiseAI if required and leave the NR/Sharpening on Auto. This usually gets me to a point where I am happy, I was quite close to the Dunnock so I could have done with a higher F stop than f/7.1 but light wasn't really allowing.

Hi Ant

Thanks for the information above. Your great photos have definitely made me think really seriously about a Sony set-up.

Regards Gary

A couple of A7 and 24mm f2.8 pictures from today.

A pretty empty beach.

nWDg1my.jpg

I would have liked to have had a longer lens for something like this crop from that one.

K9DEaJI.jpg

Our stopping and eating a snack spot. We had seed bread cheese and tomato sandwiches, fruit biscuits, grapes and a hot drink. Very nice :D

wEk9LQg.jpg

Arriving for filming for first day of auditions for BGT. Everyone behind me had phones, I was the only one with a real camera so he probably thought I was pap and seemed to wave at me. I was only about 10 foot away from him. But the real pap from the Sun and Daily Mirror were there waiting in front of the stage door with bigger Sonys and flashes. I also waited for Ant & Dec and David Walliams but they were already inside the theatre. :)

Simon Cowell 1
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Simon Cowell 3
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Simon Cowell 4
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

There's someone here asking about macro lenses for his A9, can anyone help?...

As it's a bit

:tumbleweed:

More A7 and 24mm f2.8 foolery.

She will be in...

tTCgs0b.jpg

Hogging the grapes "They're MINE, all MINE."

LHP2lYW.jpg

A shot towards the wind farm.

m5jXRLv.jpg

Just in case you can't make the wind farm out here's a crop.

jEcTQQk.jpg

One last one, perspective fun. The Fossil Hunter...

3K34cxd.jpg

There were lots of fossils about especially the usual snail like thingies we call "Devils Toenails." I was tempted to collect some but I have a load at home and I decided I didn't need the nagging :D

I do keep thinking about getting the 40 or 50mm f2.5 G but I don't really need either as I have the 35mm f2.8 so I do manage to stop myself. Or rather I've always stopped myself so far.

Last edited:
The rumor site is getting more reports of something unexpected on the way...

It's interesting that he says this about the A7c as although I said many times that the camera wasn't for me I did expect it to go down well with the masses...

"The last time we rumored about something “new” we got the Sony A7C that didn’t really meet the high expectations. I hope to get more info about this model soon…"

So. I wonder what could be coming? A revamped and sexier A7c? Medium Format? Who knows or can at least take a wild guess?

I have no clue what so ever :D

Last edited:
The new bright and shiny 70-200mm II reviewed. I think they quite like it...

... the only downside maybe being...

"Which leaves the price as being the only real downside of this new lens – £2600 / $2800 is even more than the original version launched at, although the Mark II offers so many improvements that the moderate price hike is justified."

Almost embarrassed to post this here as it's bound to be something obvious but I'm away and it's driving me mad trying to find it (and just in case it's not)

The problem is when I'm using my Sony A1.

Basically I noticed the issue first when I put a 6 stop ND on for a photo (manual mode), I increased the exposure looking at the rear screen and histogram but it got to a point where increasing the exposure time did not affect the exposure on the rear screen, EVF or Histogram. After some trying I found that point was at 4 seconds. Anything over that the histogram etc stays the same. So if the photo was starting to clip at 4 seconds, but I increased the exposure to 30 seconds the histogram/rear screen would still show it starting to clip yet the photo taken would be completely over exposed. This will happen no matter what the ISO/fstop etc always 4 seconds.

Just recorded this to show:

Last edited:
I have decided to try a two lens setup with 16-35GM+35-150mm
Can't seem to find either :p

I only realised today I have another 35-150 on order, placed over a month ago and no update whatsoever! Got very lucky finding one in stock at a local indie.

My two lens set up is the Samyang 18mm 2.8 and 35-150mm.

Last edited:
Another vid. This time about the A7IV.
I am tempted, a worthwhile upgrade from A7iii
But not for a while yet.
Seems to be out of stock everywhere anyway
I complicated things by getting an A7Siii last May.

Almost embarrassed to post this here as it's bound to be something obvious but I'm away and it's driving me mad trying to find it (and just in case it's not)

The problem is when I'm using my Sony A1.

Basically I noticed the issue first when I put a 6 stop ND on for a photo (manual mode), I increased the exposure looking at the rear screen and histogram but it got to a point where increasing the exposure time did not affect the exposure on the rear screen, EVF or Histogram. After some trying I found that point was at 4 seconds. Anything over that the histogram etc stays the same. So if the photo was starting to clip at 4 seconds, but I increased the exposure to 30 seconds the histogram/rear screen would still show it starting to clip yet the photo taken would be completely over exposed. This will happen no matter what the ISO/fstop etc always 4 seconds.

Just recorded this to show:

Still haven't figured this out, phoned Sony tech support, what a waste if time just some clueless call centre who by the sound of it didn't have a clue what a Sony A1 was.... after consulting her knowledge base said I'll send you some instructions by email and follow up in 24 hrs to see if it solved the problem... I received an email with a link on how to manually set exposure....

Still haven't figured this out, phoned Sony tech support, what a waste if time just some clueless call centre who by the sound of it didn't have a clue what a Sony A1 was.... after consulting her knowledge base said I'll send you some instructions by email and follow up in 24 hrs to see if it solved the problem... I received an email with a link on how to manually set exposure....
I am not really sure what you are trying to achieve tbh
I'd have helped but didn't quite understand what you were doing. Plus you seem to be indoors with limited light and aperture set to f14.

I am not really sure what you are trying to achieve tbh
I'd have helped but didn't quite understand what you were doing. Plus you seem to be indoors with limited light and aperture set to f14.

I wasn't trying to achieve anything with the photo, I was just re-creating the issue indoors purely to show the problem as if I was outdoors with an ND on.

In the video I am manually increasing the exposure time as you will see in the bottom left. When it goes past 4 seconds the live view (or histogram) no longer changes ie doesn't get any brighter, Really speaking by the time it gets to 30 seconds it should be over exposed a fair bit.

If I was out using an 6 stop/10 stop ND then the live preview/histogram would always look underexposed as it would be showing a 4 second exposure even if it was at 20 or so and properly exposed.

I wasn't trying to achieve anything with the photo, I was just re-creating the issue indoors purely to show the problem as if I was outdoors with an ND on.

In the video I am manually increasing the exposure time as you will see in the bottom left. When it goes past 4 seconds the live view (or histogram) no longer changes ie doesn't get any brighter, Really speaking by the time it gets to 30 seconds it should be over exposed a fair bit.

If I was out using an 6 stop/10 stop ND then the live preview/histogram would always look underexposed as it would be showing a 4 second exposure even if it was at 20 or so and properly exposed.
So here's what I tried (sorry for shakey mobile images, it's Saturday morning and I haven't had my coffee yet :p )

You can see my live view at 4 seconds and second picture at 30 seconds

IMG20220122093304.jpg

IMG20220122093313.jpg

I assume this is this kind of difference you are expecting to see?
If so I can send you my settings file and you can import my settings to your camera and try it.
You can always save your settings and re-import it after testing. That way we can be sure it's something in your settings....

So here's what I tried (sorry for shakey mobile images, it's Saturday morning and I haven't had my coffee yet :p )

You can see my live view at 4 seconds and second picture at 30 seconds

View attachment 341633

View attachment 341634

I assume this is this kind of difference you are expecting to see?
If so I can send you my settings file and you can import my settings to your camera and try it.
You can always save your settings and re-import it after testing. That way we can be sure it's something in your settings....

Thanks, yeah basically the live view and Histogram should be showing a difference between a 4 second exposure and a 30 seconds which they are not for me.

Thanks for offer of the settings file, I have Mark Galers that I can try if need be but I'd like to do more testing before I revert, I haven't used the camera much since updating to the new firmware a month ago, and what I have used it for is sports/wildlife so would not have noticed, maybe something got messed up with that.

Thanks, yeah basically the live view and Histogram should be showing a difference between a 4 second exposure and a 30 seconds which they are not for me.

Thanks for offer of the settings file, I have Mark Galers that I can try if need be but I'd like to do more testing before I revert, I haven't used the camera much since updating to the new firmware a month ago, and what I have used it for is sports/wildlife so would not have noticed, maybe something got messed up with that.
Sounds like you have effect turned off, think that's what it's called. Basically acts like a DSLR in that mode.

First trip out today using my new camera accessory. Peak Design Capture Clip, game changer don't know how I went so long without it makes carrying the camera on long walks so much easier. I'd previously used a clip off sorts but that resulted in the camera swinging around.

Didn't get a single shot today I was happy with though just such rubbish colours and light this morning.

First trip out today using my new camera accessory. Peak Design Capture Clip, game changer don't know how I went so long without it makes carrying the camera on long walks so much easier. I'd previously used a clip off sorts but that resulted in the camera swinging around.

Didn't get a single shot today I was happy with though just such rubbish colours and light this morning.

I bought one with some Christmas money. Its on the bag but not actually used it yet!

Sounds like you have effect turned off, think that's what it's called. Basically acts like a DSLR in that mode.

I know what you mean but its not that, thanks anyway.

I think it's just bugged since updating to Firmware 1.20 so I'm going to do a reset tomorrow. Firmware 1.20 hasn't been the most stable update, it said it improved stability but it made it worse, I've had a couple of lockups and talking to a mate today he has had the same. Hopefully it won't be long before they do a proper update.

I've had no follow up from Sony which they said they would do within 24 hrs. It's the first time I've had to use Sony Customer support and what joke it is. You spend £6.5K on a camera and you get a call centre in the Philippines (or wherever it was) and support that doesn't know what a Sony A1 is without me giving her the full model number of ILCE-1 which she could type into a knowledge base....

I know what you mean but its not that, thanks anyway.

I think it's just bugged since updating to Firmware 1.20 so I'm going to do a reset tomorrow. Firmware 1.20 hasn't been the most stable update, it said it improved stability but it made it worse, I've had a couple of lockups and talking to a mate today he has had the same. Hopefully it won't be long before they do a proper update.

I've had no follow up from Sony which they said they would do within 24 hrs. It's the first time I've had to use Sony Customer support and what joke it is. You spend £6.5K on a camera and you get a call centre in the Philippines (or wherever it was) and support that doesn't know what a Sony A1 is without me giving her the full model number of ILCE-1 which she could type into a knowledge base....
haven't updated mine yet. may be I won't.

I have had similar bad experience with Sony customer service. Once they were trying to tell me a lens' hood that came with the lens doesn't exist because they couldn't find it on their database! So they were telling me I was in procession of a hood that Sony sold me with the lens but according to customer services didn't exist! go figure...
I heard they had improved but clearly not.... pretty disappointing indeed!

where did you buy your sony camera from? if its a UK shop they normally have direct access to Sony reps who know these cameras and know the right people.
I know the one that takes care of LCE branch I shop in and he does respond to issues. So if you did buy it in the UK might be worth going via, the shop to find the right people/person than trying call centres all over the world!

Last edited:
haven't updated mine yet. may be I won't.

I have had similar bad experience with Sony customer service. Once they were trying to tell me a lens' hood that came with the lens doesn't exist because they couldn't find it on their database! So they were telling me I was in procession of a hood that Sony sold me with the lens but according to customer services didn't exist! go figure...
I heard they had improved but clearly not.... pretty disappointing indeed!

where did you buy your sony camera from? if its a UK shop they normally have direct access to Sony reps who know these cameras and know the right people.
I know the one that takes care of LCE branch I shop in and he does respond to issues. So if you did buy it in the UK might be worth going via, the shop to find the right people/person than trying call centres all over the world!

If you haven't then probably not worth updating especially if you're not having issues. I forgot about my lockups until I was talking to my mate today and he said his locked up since the update. On his he said the camera become non-responsive but will allow him to turn it off eventually, pretty sure I had to take the battery out of mine when it happened.

I couldn't quite believe the conversation I was having with support, literally no idea what the A1 was, "we do not have any camera A1 they are like IL...".

I got the Camera from Park cameras (UK) who have emailed saying they have no idea what would cause that behaviour and will pass it on.

TBH I'm pretty sure doing a reset will solve it but I would have liked to get to the bottom of it before that. I may hold off a couple of days before doing the reset in case I get asked for more info. I'll just use my A7RIV tomorrow as I'm only going out for a sunset anyway.

Back