The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Just got back from Goodwood FOS myself, what a great weekend. Got covered in dust myself at the off-road and rally section.

Love that last shot, I didn’t get anything more ‘arty’ like this as I just wanted to make sure I had keepers with each car just passing once, plus my wife was with me so didn’t get chance to explore areas to get more interesting positions. Not a complaint as I love sharing these things with her (y)

Glad I bought the 35mm, 50mm meant being too far away from the exhibits and so folk just stood in front of you. Got well over 1000 photos to sort through, hopefully will get some time this week.

That McMurtry car was insane, looked like my brain had gone into fast forward :eek:

I used my Samyang 50mm 1.4 for the paddock, but I only do the paddock 7am - 8.30am ish so it's never a problem getting space or angles at that time. Thinking of doing all 4 days for the first time next year.

For some reason it always seem to be that area. Maybe they changed the paint thickness on the mirrorless lenses.

I always use a half case on my bodies. Even the A7III I traded in last week looked brand new and had well 400k shutter count.

I do wonder if it's from my harness hitting it as I believe the wear on the body is from the hardness straps.

I do wonder if it's from my harness hitting it as I believe the wear on the body is from the hardness straps.

Could well be.

Thats one of the reasons I don’t use the harness style straps.

I have never been keen on straps that use the tripod mount to secure.

Could well be.

Thats one of the reasons I don’t use the harness style straps.

I have never been keen on straps that use the tripod mount to secure.

I'm going to investigate. Mine connects from the tripod mount and the side mount for each camera. It works well for me.

I used my Samyang 50mm 1.4 for the paddock, but I only do the paddock 7am - 8.30am ish so it's never a problem getting space or angles at that time. Thinking of doing all 4 days for the first time next year.
We were there at that time too, maybe you were one of the ones who walked in front of me :LOL:

Did you see any drivers? I only saw the original Stig (Blomqvist)

I’d like to go again but maybe not for a few years, a long way to travel and the M25 was an absolute nightmare.

Going back to your last shot above, I never ‘see’ shots like that, I could do with borrowing your eye ;)

We were there at that time too, maybe you were one of the ones who walked in front of me :LOL:

I’d like to go again but maybe not for a few years, a long way to travel and the M25 was an absolute nightmare.

Going back to your last shot above, I never ‘see’ shots like that, I could do with borrowing your eye ;)

No drivers at all, I clear away from the paddock once it gets busy.

With that sort of panning it's really just standing behind stuff, it's remarkable how clearly the subject comes through as long as you nail the pan. I was shooting through half a forest on the rally stage :)

This was through a crowd about 3 deep, couldn't see the car at all but knew it was coming!

Supercar Fest by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

No drivers at all, I clear away from the paddock once it gets busy.

With that sort of panning it's really just standing behind stuff, it's remarkable how clearly the subject comes through as long as you nail the pan. I was shooting through half a forest on the rally stage :)

This was through a crowd about 3 deep, couldn't see the car at all but knew it was coming!

Supercar Fest by Chris Harrison, on Flickr
Superb. I can’t pan at 1/10 or 1/20 consistently enough to risk shots like this unless it’s at a track where they come round lap after lap, but at the events I go to there’s rarely a crowd. I did get one once at Oulton Park that I was happy with but not been to a busy event since.

I’d have loved to see the F40 (and 288 GTO) go up the climb but they were ‘only’ on display.

I only happened to catch Stig by fluke, we didn’t hang around the Paddocks either. I would have liked to have seen Mansell though, although seeing him drive the Ferrari up the hill was cool

I've been a couple of times a few years ago, and would happily go again, but even though I'm relatively local (near Southampton) the traffic makes the journey horrible.

I've been a couple of times a few years ago, and would happily go again, but even though I'm relatively local (near Southampton) the traffic makes the journey horrible.
4 hours for me on a good run but ended up being 5hrs 40mins. We stayed in Worthing for the weekend.

Just a little scene taken with an old 50mm. Pond and bridge at Stewart Park, Ormesby.

jxzdDzh.jpg

Edited most of my photos from Goodwood FOS, I've created a thread here with more on Flickr:-

A few samples

Anyone who knows GP bike racing will know how special this moment was :love:

A9_00686 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9_01339-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9_01488-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9_03065-Edit by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

A9_01333 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr
The OG

A9_02351 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Last edited:
What is the GP one about ?
This weekend was the first time Wayne Rainey’s been back on a bike since his crash in 1993 which left him paralysed from the chest down, was actually quite an emotional moment :oops: :$

Last edited:
In case anyone is in the market for one, I’ve stuck my A7iv in the classified section and ordered an A7RIVA instead :oops: :$

My camera bag insert arrived today so I'll be passing in on to my friendly leather worker. Can't wait to see the finished bag :D

I went for a Billingham insert and it cost me £50, You can get cheap ones on the various seller sites but they all had something I didn't want like a fold over flap so I held my nose and paid the extra for a nice Billingham one.

Now ordered the 24-70 GM II, anyone else got it, thoughts?

Only got mine the other week only used it at one wedding so far.

Good points:

- A.F is ridiculously quick
- Eye A.F is the best I have seen on a lens so far, probably because of the fast a.f speed
- I.Q is good, what you would expect for an oem 24-70 f/2.8
- I like the aperture lock button, wish the rest of the G.M lenses had this.
- It is lightweight.

Bad points

- It doesn't feel like a premium lens, build quality is okay but it doesn't feel as well made as say the old Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 I once had. I assume this was because they wanted to keep it light. It is better build than the Tamron 28-75 it replaced, but then that lens is made of chocolate.

Last edited:
In case anyone is in the market for one, I’ve stuck my A7iv in the classified section and ordered an A7RIVA instead :oops: :$

Think @nandbytes was looking to swap his A7RIV for an A7IV

What is the reason for the swop? Other than the extra res A7IV is a much better camera in terms of a.f, noise etc.

Last edited:
Back