The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Sadly while sitting in the waiting room today I got thinking about when I sold my Fuji X lot that I had, only one I did feel sorry I got rid of was the great 90mm f2 lens. So on the sad note you will all have to put up with me saying I love this lens or that lens, as I am not getting rid of any of it at all. I got Sony because I wanted to try FF and on that I do love, so will be using it with my Olly.

Great news and here's hoping it's followed up with more good news in the coming weeks.

Wishing you a speedy recovery! :D

(I'd tell people that scar was the result of something a bit... special,... Shark attack? Bear mauling? But that's just me :D)

As I'm an ex Aussie Great White sounds good.

OP went well but ended up with over 50 stitches in my inner thigh so have to rest and not allowed to stress my leg out at all, the surgeon who did it said it went very well and I should have my results in about 3/6 weeks.
Glad to hear it went well. Hope you make a speedy recovery.

Sadly while sitting in the waiting room today I got thinking about when I sold my Fuji X lot that I had, only one I did feel sorry I got rid of was the great 90mm f2 lens. So on the sad note you will all have to put up with me saying I love this lens or that lens, as I am not getting rid of any of it at all. I got Sony because I wanted to try FF and on that I do love, so will be using it with my Olly.
Nice one Dave

Tell me about it. Myself I’m getting a1, 600mm f/4 and 70-200mm f/2.8 mkII. Wife knows and slowly getting gray ;P
Wow, nice. I’d have to remortgage the house and be prepared to sign divorce papers if I bought all that :LOL:

Sounds like the right decision Dave, and probably saves me some money :D

Tell me about it. Myself I’m getting a1, 600mm f/4 and 70-200mm f/2.8 mkII. Wife knows and slowly getting gray ;P

My Mrs is very good at allowing me to spend money and in fact if I mentioned getting a new camera she'd very probably offer to pay :D I've been thinking of getting a Land Rover / Range Rover and Mrs WW said "I agree" :D

Felt a bit of a voyeur taking this photo through the trees at 600mm at my local RSPB , but I am glad I did. The crochet hat that only a Japanese woman of a certain age can make look so cool, planning her adventuring for the day with a proper paper map.

DSC06921 by Anthony Andrades, on Flickr

The lenses in my signature are only for Sony, can anyone tell me what adapter I would need to use some of the Sony lenses on my OMD5 III.
Think the Sony has a shorter flange distance than the Olympus so I think you may be out of luck unless someone makes an adapter with a lens to compensate for the difference.

Think the Sony has a shorter flange distance than the Olympus so I think you may be out of luck unless someone makes an adapter with a lens to compensate for the difference.

I had a look when @Fuji Dave asked the original question - I couldn't find an adapter.

The lenses in my signature are only for Sony, can anyone tell me what adapter I would need to use some of the Sony lenses on my OMD5 III.
I don't think they do them, only Olympus to Sony no the other way around. Here's quite an extensive list of adapters

Felt a bit of a voyeur taking this photo through the trees at 600mm at my local RSPB , but I am glad I did. The crochet hat that only a Japanese woman of a certain age can make look so cool, planning her adventuring for the day with a proper paper map.

"Excellent" capture Ant, and the presentation pushes all the right buttons for me.

WOW!! Love this image ;)

Borrowed a friends 70-350 and a A6600 but I’m going to use it on the A7iv for a few days, see how the A7iv stacks up with 14mp images.

Borrowed a friends 70-350 and a A6600 but I’m going to use it on the A7iv for a few days, see how the A7iv stacks up with 14mp images.
That lens' image circle covers the full sensor at the wider end. I am yet to test it properly for sharpness but just thought you might be interested.

That lens' image circle covers the full sensor at the wider end. I am yet to test it properly for sharpness but just thought you might be interested.
I’ve read you can remove the rear back plastic that covers the glass to give you full frame coverage, not sure how well that’ll go down with my mate though. :p

I’ve read you can remove the rear back plastic that covers the glass to give you full frame coverage, not sure how well that’ll go down with my mate though. :p
No you don't need any such modifications.
Just turn off the APS-C mode in camera settings.

Very nice, great processing.

Erk! My A7II died on earlier this week. The shutter gave up after about 40K frames in the five or so years that I've had it.

With no warning, it made a horrid squealing/grinding noise and then displayed a message telling me to 'Camera Error: turn power off and on '.

Needless to say, following that instruction made no difference. The shutter curtain is stuck in the down position. Sharp knocks, gentle probing and other non-destructive advice to be found on the internet has made no difference.

I had been toying with the idea of upgrading anyway and decided I couldn't be arsed spending what looks like a few hundred quid getting it fixed out of warranty, so I went looking for something to replace it.

To cut a long story short, I had ordered a Sony-refurbished A7III from Camera Centre in Cardiff yesterday, but they phoned this afternoon to say they had a stock mixup and had run out of refurb units. Bummer.

After a little negotiation they agreed to sell me a brand new A7III, not quite as cheap as the refurb, but certainly less than the price than many places are punting used examples, and they threw in a screen protector for my trouble. Kudos to them for handling their error well.

Last edited:
Erk! My A7II died on earlier this week. The shutter gave up after about 40K frames in the five or so years that I've had it.

You've got me worried. 40k shots doesn't seem a lot and neither does 4 or 5 years. I'm still using my A7 which I ordered before they hit the shops so it's about 9 years old now.

Back