The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Quick one from Sunday evening, went up to Beachy Head for sunset with the dogs. A7iii and 24-105, this is honestly such a good lens, I love it.

Lighting in the original was wonderfully warm, just boosted up the shadows & exposure a bit in post.

View attachment 363270

Nice, i have been off photo for ages, thinking of getting a lens to try getting back to it, i've only got prime and at the moment i would like more versatility. I've been poundering sony 24-105 f4 or sigma 24-70 f2.8. They both look good and same price range.

I think i will be selling my 200-600 has I have only used it a handfull of time and he just stay in it's very own camera bag in the wardrobe the whole time :-(.... I have no time to myself for wildlife photography anymore.

Nice, i have been off photo for ages, thinking of getting a lens to try getting back to it, i've only got prime and at the moment i would like more versatility. I've been poundering sony 24-105 f4 or sigma 24-70 f2.8. They both look good and same price range.

I think i will be selling my 200-600 has I have only used it a handfull of time and he just stay in it's very own camera bag in the wardrobe the whole time :-(.... I have no time to myself for wildlife photography anymore.
Both great lenses, all depends if the extra stop of light/DOF or extra reach will be of more benefit (y)

To me, the obvious choice is for a wider range - f2.8 at 70mm is never going to give great bokeh. The worst aspect of the 24-105 is bulk.

In that respect the sigma 24-70 f2.8 is a bit bulkier.
I use to like my 24-120 on the d750 so i probably can live with f4.
Wish the 24-105 was a tad cheaper there has been a lot of them sold it is not a "new" or "rare" lens.
Camera gear is getting crazy. Currys dropped a clanger last year and I picked up a 24-105mm for a bargain but there’s no way I’d pay the current price for it.

It’s like I want the RX100 VI but there’s no way on earth I’ll pay £850 for one :eek:

Range is a key reason I've held on to the 24-105, I would like a 24-70 for the f2.8 but honestly find f4 more than adequate for my stuff. The photo of the dogs was at f5.6 if I remember rightly.

The 24-105 is a pricey lens "for what it is", but the IQ is superb.

It’s like I want the RX100 VI but there’s no way on earth I’ll pay £850 for one :eek:
What i really want is a lumix lx100 mk 3 but that doesn't exist and proably never will and the mk2 is about 1000£ which is crazy. I broke my mk1 sadly.

What i really want is a lumix lx100 mk 3 but that doesn't exist and proably never will and the mk2 is about 1000£ which is crazy. I broke my mk1 sadly.
I want something that is pocketable in most pockets and the LX100 doesn't fit this for me, I'd also find the 24-200mm focal length of the RX100 VI advantageous. The problem with these cameras is that I'd be paying for a lot of tech I don't need for this kind of camera such as complex AF systems.

The GM5 is tiny but you need to be careful when buying and they can be expensive.

As I mentioned in another thread if anyone is happy to use just one compact prime there are lots of options from MFT and even the Sony Axxxx series.

The GM5 is tiny but you need to be careful when buying and they can be expensive.

As I mentioned in another thread if anyone is happy to use just one compact prime there are lots of options from MFT and even the Sony Axxxx series.
I have a very small M4/3 setup in the EM10 II and 12-32mm pancake and whilst that fits in a coat pocket that’s only suitable in winter (y)

I have a very small M4/3 setup in the EM10 II and 12-32mm pancake and whilst that fits in a coat pocket that’s only suitable in winter (y)

I think shirt or trouser pocket cameras are difficult. I had a Panasonic LF1 and they are small and genuinely pocketable but sadly they stopped making them. I don't see the TZ100 as trouser or shirt pocketable but there is a poster on this site who can put one in his shirt pocket. Sadly a phone might be the thing although some of those are massive these days, more like tablets.

I lost my LF1 when one of my sisters fancied it. There are a few on ebay today. I did buy another a while back but the sensor was covered in contamination so it went straight back.

Last edited:
I think shirt or trouser pocket cameras are difficult. I had a Panasonic LF1 and they are small and genuinely pocketable but sadly they stopped making them. I don't see the TZ100 as trouser or shirt pocketable but there is a poster on his site who can put one in his shirt pocket. Sadly a phone might be the thing although some of those are massive these days, more like tablets.

I lost my LF1 when one of my sisters fancied it. There are a few on ebay today.
I don’t tend to wear shirts, it’s more a case of fitting it short/trouser pockets and cameras like the RX100 fit into this category for me (y)

I don’t tend to wear shirts, it’s more a case of fitting it short/trouser pockets and cameras like the RX100 fit into this category for me (y)

These days I often take a bag as I usually have something else to carry so a camera just goes in the bag with the something else. Today I took my Panasonic G100 and Oly 17mm f1.8.

These days I often take a bag as I usually have something else to carry so a camera just goes in the bag with the something else. Today I took my Panasonic G100 and Oly 17mm f1.8.
I often take a bag but I want something for the times I can’t be bothered (y)

Let me know if you find something.
Well I’ve decided on the RX100 VI, it’s just a matter of waiting for a decent price or cashback etc. I tried one the other day at the Sony event and I found it more usable than I remember, and the EVF is a big step up from the Mark III I had.

I often take a bag but I want something for the times I can’t be bothered (y)
The ultimate pocketable camera that I've come across is the Canon Ixus 70 but that's only 7MP so not enough for a lot of people these days. Here's one next to the ultimate pocket film camera, the Minox C. Then again, that had its image quality problems too... :naughty:

Cameras Canon Ixus 70 and Minox B 705020014.JPG

The ultimate pocketable camera that I've come across is the Canon Ixus 70 but that's only 7MP so not enough for a lot of people these days. Here's one next to the ultimate pocket film camera, the Minox C. Then again, that had its image quality problems too... :naughty:

View attachment 363533
Yep, needs to be minimum 1” type sensor and preferably 24mp, but 16mp is acceptable. The new iPhone is rumoured to be 48mp but I don’t particularly like taking photos with phones.

met an old friend today, he has a Sony a6000 with 16-50.

he’s going on the canal boats in Italy or somewhere like that and asked about a reasonable lens for wide end,I told him I would ask the wise people here.
he Forgot to tell me his budget other than not too expensive which is not a massive help.

any suggestions,long time since I shot sony so I’ve no idea.

he’s going on the canal boats in Italy or somewhere like that and asked about a reasonable lens for wide end,I told him I would ask the wise people here.
he Forgot to tell me his budget other than not too expensive which is not a massive help.

16mm on APS-C is already pretty wide. Is he sure he wants wider?

I use to use a bumbag for my small cameras.

I sometimes use one of those as by the time I've got a phone, keys, money and Gosh know what else My pockets are stuffed and I hate heavy pockets so the bumbag comes out and sometimes a camera goes in it too :D

Well I’ve decided on the RX100 VI, it’s just a matter of waiting for a decent price or cashback etc. I tried one the other day at the Sony event and I found it more usable than I remember, and the EVF is a big step up from the Mark III I had.

I've had a brief look at hose before but the pop up evf would annoy me and that's one reason why I went to the TZ100 which has the evf in the corner and always available.

View attachment 363533

I still have two of these but the 3rd, the LF1 went to my sister.

K0GTjak.jpg

The blue one is an Ixus 82 but it only does JPEG's. The Medion is a beautiful thing really and just credit card footprint but doesn't have a vf of any sort, just a back screen, and as a camera it's hit and miss,

16mm is the equivalent to 24mm in 'real' money.

The 'obvious' place to start is with the 10-18mm: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-SEL1018-Mount-APS-C-10-18/dp/B009AU9CQO/ref=sr_1_13?

There's also the Sony 11mm prime: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-APS-C-Angle-Prime-SEL11F18/dp/B0B2RZZBPN/ref=sr_1_21?

The Samyang 12mm f2: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SAMYANG-12mm-F2-0-Autofocus-Lens/dp/B093BN913R/ref=sr_1_20?

And the wallet-friend Meike manual focus 12mm: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meike-2-8-Manual-Emount-Mirrorless/dp/B01M4RV1I1/ref=sr_1_2?

Obviously there's a bunch of other stuff, but this covers key points in the market.

16mm on APS-C is already pretty wide. Is he sure he wants wider?
That was exactly my thought too Alan.,he’s used to that too, he must have had that camera 3 yrs and still uses that lens,not really sure what he wants but I’ll pass him on the links from Toni and let him decide.

As above if you want to stick with Sony you've got the 10-18mm, 10-20mm and 11mm prime.
I've had a brief look at hose before but the pop up evf would annoy me and that's one reason why I went to the TZ100 which has the evf in the corner and always available.
Previous gen ones annoyed me but the new single action one in the RX100 VI and VII is great. On a camera like this I'd likely use the LCD most of the time but it's nice to have the EVF for the odd occasion. It wasn't as small as I remember but specs says it's the same size, although resolution is much better than the Gen III

Previous gen ones annoyed me but the new single action one in the RX100 VI and VII is great. On a camera like this I'd likely use the LCD most of the time but it's nice to have the EVF for the odd occasion. It wasn't as small as I remember but specs says it's the same size, although resolution is much better than the Gen III

I'm afraid that an evf is a must for me and I do know that having to pop it up would irritate me. I can see how people would like that range of cameras especially if they're happy with back screen shooting or don't mind deploying the evf and retracting it again but it's not for me when the TZ100 probably does 99% of what the RX does and maybe does different things too (long zoom) and has an in place evf. I do try and use the TZ100 but to be honest it hardly gets used maybe in part because it has a zoom lens and I'm used to a fixed view. It does have a setting which remembers your last zoom length used and returns to that on power on but overall I do seem happier with other cameras.

Anyway. Good luck with it.

I'm afraid that an evf is a must for me and I do know that having to pop it up would irritate me. I can see how people would like that range of cameras especially if they're happy with back screen shooting or don't mind deploying the evf and retracting it again but it's not for me when the TZ100 probably does 99% of what the RX does and maybe does different things too (long zoom) and has an in place evf. I do try and use the TZ100 but to be honest it hardly gets used maybe in part because it has a zoom lens and I'm used to a fixed view. It does have a setting which remembers your last zoom length used and returns to that on power on but overall I do seem happier with other cameras.

Anyway. Good luck with it.
Yep, horses for courses. I keep looking at the TZ's but they are just that too big and I don't like the 'tearing' you get in the EVF.

You'r post reminds me, I must try and start to use my LX100 II.

I can give you my address if your camera need using! For me the LX100 was an all time best, I loved the controls, the option for crop ration on the sensor, the good f number on the wide side, the ok bokeh on the long end of the telephoto lens... I think this camera add it all. Until I tried to hoover the sensor dust out of the lens myself and I buggered it...

I know camera like LX5 and RX100 give the exact same quality of photo but the controls are just not good. Trade off for pocketability I guess.

:thinking: I can give you my address if your camera need using! For me the LX100 was an all time best, I loved the controls, the option for crop ration on the sensor, the good f number on the wide side, the ok bokeh on the long end of the telephoto lens... I think this camera add it all. Until I tried to hoover the sensor dust out of the lens myself and I buggered it...

I know camera like LX5 and RX100 give the exact same quality of photo but the controls are just not good. Trade off for pocketability I guess.
I’m not sure exactly how the RX100 IQ compares to the LX100, the LX100 has the bigger sensor but the RX100 has more mp

New puppy and this time I remembered to keep my EV compensation to -1. Definitely more to play with in the whites.

View attachment 363560
Adorable :love: Obviously quite noisy though looking at the characters in the background ;)

Back