The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Sounds like a terrible waste of money in the dark times of sanctions and recession. I would only buy the best

I've been using old film era primes for years so this might be just more of the same but with the advantage that you don't double the size of the lens by having to mount an adapter on it.

I know what you're saying about buying the best but in this case the choice would be between the also manual focus Voigtlander 50mm f2 and the AF Sony 50mm f1.2. They're both more expensive, bigger and heavier and the Sony is humongous and how many times the price? I do have the Voigtlander and it is very good but this TT lens is tiny.

Last edited:
I've been using old film era primes for years so this might be just more of the same but with the advantage that you don't double the size of the lens by having to mount an adapter on it.

I know what you're saying about buying the best but in this case the choice would be between the also manual focus Voigtlander 50mm f2 and the AF Sony 50mm f1.2. They're both more expensive, bigger and heavier and the Sony is humongous and how many times the price? I do have the Voigtlander and it is very good but this TT lens is tiny.
What about the basic sony 50/1.8? Are they no good? I've never tried one but surely can't be worse than canon and even that is pin sharp from f5.6 in extreme corners at 50MP

What about the basic sony 50/1.8? Are they no good? I've never tried one but surely can't be worse than canon and even that is pin sharp from f5.6 in extreme corners at 50MP

The Sony 50mm f1.8 in my experience is a very sharp lens, if a little slow at focussing.

Still a good lens for the money though.

I wouldn't risk it on my A7 as the focus system isn't as good as later model and that lens may just hunt and miss like the dreadful Sony 50mm macro I had which couldn't hit one shot in three.

The appeal in this cheap lens is that it's very compact and light and half the size of the smallest film era 50mm as you don't need an adapter. I do have a lot of film era 50's but you really don't save any bulk with them as with the adapter even a small lens is suddenly the size of the 55mm f1.8. I do have the small and very well made Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 but this 50 would just make a nice change. Maybe :D

Tuesday was one of the hardest days of my life.

13 years ago, almost to the day, we collected an ex-stray GSD X Collie called Rosie from a rescue centre. She was on the last chance register and as soon as we met her we knew she was the dog for us.

She used to drink out of every puddle on a walk as, we believe, she didn't know where the next drink was coming from.
She settled in really quickly and soon learned that food and drink and cuddles would always be available. She learned to play with various toys including tennis balls and footballs (her favourite).

For 13 years we took her everywhere we went on holidays and days out. We didn't want for her to ever go into kennels again.

We called her calendar dog as she always knew Wednesdays and Saturdays were Jumbone treat night. I kid you not!

Our hearts are breaking as we have had to say goodbye to the sweetest, gentlest and most loving dog ever.

This house is empty without her at my feet.

So sleep well my darling Rosie. You can run free now without that pesky arthritis making each step so painful.

Until we meet again my beautiful baby bear.

Goodnight beautiful girl xxx

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jKNeUi]Rosie at 13 by Terence Rees, on Flickr[/URL]

So sorry to read this Terry, it's definitely the hardest part of being a dog lover. I hope that the happy memories will soon take over from the grief for you and your family.

Last edited:

Optically better than the Nikon 50 1.8G, but the copy I had was very unreliable focusing. Iv owned 2 off Mk1 Samyang 50 f1.4s and they are both much better.

I wonder about this little lens too, because sometimes it's nice to have imperfections if they add to the image.

Thinking of selling my Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 MK I and buying a 100-400mm GM which I would get a lot more use out of.

I have a Canon 100-400mm MK II and also the 70-200mm f/2.8 MK II but whereas the latter focuses extremely well with the MC-11 on the A9 the 100-400mm hunts quite badly and sometimes doesn't lock on at all (which reminds me too much of my Pentax gear). I rarely use the 70-200mm so I think this would make more sense.

Have to say the Sony 70-200mm MK I is extremely sharp wide open so the MK II must be really something.

I'll ask in here as my Sony is heavier than the Fuji, I am thinking of getting a Monopod that is light to carry use as a walking stick then to hold either of my cameras steady, thinking about cost £160.

For solidity I like my low tech and made of real metal Benbo. I'm pretty sure they do a monopod and if they do and if it's the same build as my tripod it'll very likely support the weight of you me and half the forum and be useful for beating off any charging rhinos.

I don't know how good it is but here's one.

For solidity I like my low tech and made of real metal Benbo. I'm pretty sure they do a monopod and if they do and if it's the same build as my tripod it'll very likely support the weight of you me and half the forum and be useful for beating off any charging rhinos.

I don't know how good it is but here's one.

Just had a look thank you Alan, the weight might be a problem but it does look good. I use to have a Manfrotto one that was bang on but think it got lost.

I'll ask in here as my Sony is heavier than the Fuji, I am thinking of getting a Monopod that is light to carry use as a walking stick then to hold either of my cameras steady, thinking about cost £160.
Neither will be particularly heavy so I’d imagine most monopods will do. I’d say look at carbon fibre and consider how tall you want it for shooting.

I picked up a bargain Giottos one some years ago but I think they went under.

Neither will be particularly heavy so I’d imagine most monopods will do. I’d say look at carbon fibre and consider how tall you want it for shooting.

Thanks Toby I'm 5ft 9, have been looking at Velbon ones that are carbon fibre and other makes.

Will carbon fibre be strong enough to use as a walking stick?

Will carbon fibre be strong enough to use as a walking stick?
It's stronger than steel and aluminium so it should be fine ;) The only trouble with carbon fibre is that if you drop it or whack it it may shatter as opposed to just denting or bending like metal.

It's stronger than steel and aluminium so it should be fine ;) The only trouble with carbon fibre is that if you drop it or whack it it may shatter as opposed to just denting or bending like metal.
Equally lethal in a thunderstorm too :ROFLMAO:

My worry was along those lines.

I do try and be careful but for something like a multi use support / walking stick I think I'd go old style metal like the Benbo unless the weight truly is an issue. I just think I'd like the almost indestructible multi use nature of metal tubes over potentially brittle carbon fibre. Anyway, to each their own.

Last edited:
Whilst out today I spotted a Sony A7 for £420 and a Sony 28mm f2 for £180 in one of those cash converter type shops. They looked good value to me but I can't remember what I paid for my used 28mm f2.

As it's quiet, some from today... All A7 and Sony 35mm f1.8...

Our spot at Redcar for a snack and a drink.

b3zAQnz.jpg

The beach was quiet despite it being a nice day. The view from Redcar towards Marske and Saltburn cliffs beyond.

2VU5yt7.jpg

I mentioned a while ago that I'd bought something and it wasn't a 50 year old prime. This is what I bought...

UckRZ0b.jpg

b3zAQnz.jpg

The beach was quiet despite it being a nice day. The view from Redcar towards Marske and Saltburn cliffs beyond.

2VU5yt7.jpg

I mentioned a while ago that I'd bought something and it wasn't a 50 year old prime. This is what I bought...

UckRZ0b.jpg

I did actually think it would of been a car you got.

I did actually think it would of been a car you got.

This may be a honeymoon period but at the mo I love it.

I haven't had a posh car since the 4lt Jag S Type. I sold that before I retired so that must be knocking on 12 years ago. Just had the MX5 and Getz since.

This may be a honeymoon period but at the mo I love it.

I haven't had a posh car since the 4lt Jag S Type. I sold that before I retired so that must be knocking on 12 years ago. Just had the MX5 and Getz since.

Good to hear, so with you it's cars and me it's cameras lol

My worry was along those lines.

I do try and be careful but for something like a multi use support / walking stick I think I'd go old style metal like the Benbo unless the weight truly is an issue. I just think I'd like the almost indestructible multi use nature of metal tubes over potentially brittle carbon fibre. Anyway, to each their own.
Carbon fibre doesn't have to be brittle. I build fishing rods for a (feeble) living and while early carbon rods were fragile things have moved on. There are different sorts of carbon prepreg (resin impregnated cloth) which can be stiff or strong in varying degrees, then there are twills and other weaves with differing properties.

It would be perfectly possible to make a monopod cum walking stick that would be up to some abuse by mixing carbon cloths of differing types, or including something like Kevlar cloth, but I expect monopods/tripods are designed foremost to be light weight and strong when used as supports - with the weight bearing down along their length. In that situation wall thickness and carbon cloth qualities won't be of much concern. Unless you are going to use the monopod/walking stick for bashing your way through hawthorn thickets it should be OK.

b3zAQnz.jpg

2VU5yt7.jpg

UckRZ0b.jpg
Nice, is it an evoque?

Nice, is it an evoque?

Yes. It went from hanging onto the end of quite a list by its finger nails to being the thing I bought. It's partly for Mrs WW when she passes her test as she drove a auto Nissan XTrail in Thailand and has never driven a manual gearbox car.

Yes. It went from hanging onto the end of quite a list by its finger nails to being the thing I bought. It's partly for Mrs WW when she passes her test as she drove a auto Nissan XTrail in Thailand and has never driven a manual gearbox car.
Hope she enjoys it, my wife’s really happy with hers (y)

Carbon fibre doesn't have to be brittle. I build fishing rods for a (feeble) living and while early carbon rods were fragile things have moved on. There are different sorts of carbon prepreg (resin impregnated cloth) which can be stiff or strong in varying degrees, then there are twills and other weaves with differing properties.

It would be perfectly possible to make a monopod cum walking stick that would be up to some abuse by mixing carbon cloths of differing types, or including something like Kevlar cloth, but I expect monopods/tripods are designed foremost to be light weight and strong when used as supports - with the weight bearing down along their length. In that situation wall thickness and carbon cloth qualities won't be of much concern. Unless you are going to use the monopod/walking stick for bashing your way through hawthorn thickets it should be OK.

The thing that would worry me is it shattering under weight but I've never owned anything carbon fibre so I'm not up with modern capabilities. One thing that appeals to me about the good old metal and low tech Benbo tripod I have is that it feels like it could withstand a direct cruise missile strike whilst being more stable than the Manfrotto 055 it replaced.

The thing that would worry me is it shattering under weight but I've never owned anything carbon fibre so I'm not up with modern capabilities. One thing that appeals to me about the good old metal and low tech Benbo tripod I have is that it feels like it could withstand a direct cruise missile strike whilst being more stable than the Manfrotto 055 it replaced.
I’ve got a carbon fibre monopod and have had a few carbon fibre tripods, I’ve hardly treated them with kid gloves and it’s not been an issue,……. to date.

I've had one of these for several years, which I carry with me when I have a camera, but not out specifically for photography (when I would be using a tripod or a two section 30mm tube Benbo monopod).

I use it as a walking pole, and when its collapsed it's short enough to sit across my "everyday" bag without sticking out much, which makes it good when moving amongst people.

For what I bought it for, it's excellent, and still looks and works like new (it gets used at least once a week, in all sorts of weather conditions, this week it was out in torrential rain) but if I was buying something as a dedicated photography monopod, it's not what I would buy.

I have a Benbo and agree it feels indestructible. (y)

Tubes, of any material, are strongest along their length, weaker across their diameter.

Back