The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

you have the 20-70mm to cover rest of the range. Viltrox 16 would give you f1.8 and save £££ in your bank balance.
That's what I did anyway.

Having said that I am not keen on the viltrox metal build. yes it feels good but when I was shooting in Finland in the arctic cold, the lens body was literally frozen. I had to later wipe/scrape the ice off it and then make sure water didn't stick around. Sony GM lenses' composite material (and also samyang's) didn't freeze the same.
I am just a bit skeptical now taking it out again in sub-zero though shooting night sky was the main reason for me buying it.
I often just take one lens out at a time to save weight and because I’d rather not have to change lenses out in the field if I don’t need to (y)

One lens sacrilege :oops: :$
:ROFLMAO:

I don’t always, but prefer it if I can. Places like Silverstone and Donington I’ll take the 70-200m f2.8, 100-400mm, 35mm, 50mm and T/C and then suffer for days after. Dog walks, sightseeing, landscapes I try and get away with one lens if I can.

One lens... challenge.
I do that most times... once in a while taking three lenses ;)
I carry that cheapy 20mm f/2.8 around all the time in my coat pocket.

Was out shopping the other day and went for my wallet and forgot it was there. The shop assistant was like wtf:D

I carry that cheapy 20mm f/2.8 around all the time in my coat pocket.

Was out shopping the other day and went for my wallet and forgot it was there. The shop assistant was like wtf:D
My copy just arrived this morning. 7 days from order to delivery so much faster than I expected and first impressions are that it seems more than £115 worth of lens.

I somehow lost the 'drive mode options' on my Sony A7CR. When you press the left on the wheel there was 'Drive Mode options). Now no longer. I was trying to set the bottom button to picture smaller. Any idea how to get back 'Drive mode' on the left of the wheel, and to put on 'smaller' picture on the bottom of the wheel?

My copy just arrived this morning. 7 days from order to delivery so much faster than I expected and first impressions are that it seems more than £115 worth of lens.

7 days is pretty good I had to wait over 3 weeks.

Has to be the best value lens money can buy. Has better build quality and performance than lenses at 2/3 times the cost.

I somehow lost the 'drive mode options' on my Sony A7CR. When you press the left on the wheel there was 'Drive Mode options). Now no longer. I was trying to set the bottom button to picture smaller. Any idea how to get back 'Drive mode' on the left of the wheel, and to put on 'smaller' picture on the bottom of the wheel?

I have those switched of on my A7CII as I use the wheel for moving the a.f point. Have drive mode etc. in the FN menu.

Should just me a matter of reassigning the wheel buttons in the menu.

I took my A7 out today and the battery was at 100% but after just a few pictures it plummeted to 17%. I think I'll have to buy a couple of new and original batteries.

PS.
These are £50/£60 odd but £14:95 on ebay? Can't be genuine?

Last edited:
I took my A7 out today and the battery was at 100% but after just a few pictures it plummeted to 17%. I think I'll have to buy a couple of new and original batteries.

PS.
These are £50/£60 odd but £14:95 on ebay? Can't be genuine?

There are a lot of fake Sony batteries on eBay

They work fine but obviously don’t last as long as oem

Duracell FW50 batteries are decent had some for my A6400.

Last edited:
Go into the menu to the button assignment and assign the function you want.

There are a lot of fake Sony batteries on eBay

They work fine but obviously don’t last as long as oem

Duracell FW50 batteries are decent had some for my A6400.

Ah, I read "Sony" and was too trusting.

I'll go for the Sony ones at £50 odd and see how they perform as I've only ever had the one original battery which my A7 came with.

Ah, I read "Sony" and was too trusting.

I'll go for the Sony ones at £50 odd and see how they perform as I've only ever had the one original battery which my A7 came with.

Two batteries at £100 makes the batteries worth maybe more than your A7.

Two batteries at £100 makes the batteries worth maybe more than your A7.

I paid £109.98 from Park Cameras,

I don't know how much my A7 would be worth. It works but has two issues, the covering is blistering but a half case covers some of that and there's a black spec in the EVF. I don't have any intention of replacing it as it does most of what I want with just two things missing... It can't shoot silently and it only has face detect, oh and overall it's not too responsive both in AF terms and generally but for my uses that doesn't really matter. If I want silent shooting, eye detect and sports car handling I do have my MFT cameras.

When the A7 dies I'll be asking what's the best buy for me but at the moment I can't decide between a tilt screen and articulated. That's probably the biggest decision as everything else will no doubt be at least a slight improvement over my A7.

There are 4 Sakura trees (2 different kinds) by work, had my 90mm Macro with me because I was taking product shot and took a photo of this when by happenstance a bee flew into the frame.

HSbLOOd.jpg

Last edited:
Go into the menu to the button assignment and assign the function you want.
Thanks, I have managed to reassign the 'drive mode' to where it was, but I don't know what the 'decrease size' is called. It is a '+' on the make picture bigger button, but I can't find a (-) minus, or anything similar. Do you know the actual name I should look for?

Thanks, I have managed to reassign the 'drive mode' to where it was, but I don't know what the 'decrease size' is called. It is a '+' on the make picture bigger button, but I can't find a (-) minus, or anything similar. Do you know the actual name I should look for?
Are you talking about zooming out of a picture when reviewing it, or making the overall resolution smaller?

Zooming out of a picture.
I'll have to check when I have my camera. Part of me's thinking I can zoom in but then I have to come out completely to full viewing size rather than being able to zoom out incrementally :thinking: It's something I do all the time yet I can't remember :headbang: :ROFLMAO:

It maybe only zooms in then you touch menu or shutter to go back to show full image.

Sony-Alpha-A7CR.jpg

Almost every button can be customised, I have what's on left button in FN menu and put focus peaking or zebras there (on different Sonys)

It maybe only zooms in then you touch menu or shutter to go back to show full image.

View attachment 419813

Almost every button can be customised, I have what's on left button in FN menu and put focus peaking or zebras there (on different Sonys)
On my old A73, there was a zoom in, and a different zoom out button. I used that a lot. On the A7CR there is a zoom in button, but you have to turn the 'ring' to zoom out, and I find that very fiddly, so I would like to assign the 'zoom out' to the 'down' button on the ring.

Reactions: 4wd

View attachment 419813

So having got my camera out it became instinctive how to zoom in and out whilst reviewing an image. I have the Fn button assigned to zoom to 1:1 on the focus point, I can then rotate the rear wheel to zoom in and out, clockwise zooms in, anticlockwise zooms out.

So having got my camera out it became instinctive how to zoom in and out whilst reviewing an image. I have the Fn button assigned to zoom to 1:1 on the focus point, I can then rotate the rear wheel to zoom in and out, clockwise zooms in, anticlockwise zooms out.
Yes my rear wheel zooms in and out, however I want to assign the 'out' to the bottom lower press of the wheel, but I can't find an 'out' or 'zoom out' preset so I can assign it to the lower press of the wheel.

Yes my rear wheel zooms in and out, however I want to assign the 'out' to the bottom lower press of the wheel, but I can't find an 'out' or 'zoom out' preset so I can assign it to the lower press of the wheel.
Zoom out as in back to normal viewing size? I have my middle button set to that but I'm at work at the moment so can't look up what it's called :facepalm:

Well that's the Sony 20 f1.8 and Tamron 28-200 gone. MPB offered me more than the quote so really happy with that.
Are they being replaced with anything?

Zoom out as in back to normal viewing size? I have my middle button set to that but I'm at work at the moment so can't look up what it's called :facepalm:
After pressing the + and getting a close up picture, I like to gradually zoom out. Of course I can turn the wheel, but I find that fiddly. I guess I've got used to the A73 and I want to continue with just two push buttons to do the job.

After pressing the + and getting a close up picture, I like to gradually zoom out. Of course I can turn the wheel, but I find that fiddly. I guess I've got used to the A73 and I want to continue with just two push buttons to do the job.
So how does that work, do you press and hold the button and it continues to zoom out until you stop pressing it?

I find rotating the wheel natural, and you have great control how far you zoom in and out (y)

So how does that work, do you press and hold the button and it continues to zoom out until you stop pressing it?

I find rotating the wheel natural, and you have great control how far you zoom in and out (y)
On the A73 I would press the + button (wich is also the AF-on) and the picture would enlarge. If I press the 'AEL' button it would make it smaller in steps. If I again press the + button it would make it bigger in steps. So in a few seconds and just a few presses I can move in or out to see if I like just part of the picture, or to see if there are focus problems. I think the A73 also had it on the ring. But as I say I don't like the ring. I just find it easier to press a couple of buttons a couple of times. On the A7CR there is no - button and I can't seem to find one to assign it. It's one of the things I miss on the A7CR. Small problem I know, but if I have to use the ring I will.

On the A73 I would press the + button (wich is also the AF-on) and the picture would enlarge. If I press the 'AEL' button it would make it smaller in steps. If I again press the + button it would make it bigger in steps. So in a few seconds and just a few presses I can move in or out to see if I like just part of the picture, or to see if there are focus problems. I think the A73 also had it on the ring. But as I say I don't like the ring. I just find it easier to press a couple of buttons a couple of times. On the A7CR there is no - button and I can't seem to find one to assign it. It's one of the things I miss on the A7CR. Small problem I know, but if I have to use the ring I will.
I'll have a look see if there's something similar on the A1 over the weekend, would seem strange to have it on one body and not another.

That is the same as the A1. You can set af on to be 100% or last viewed magnification from what I recall

That is the same as the A1. You can set af on to be 100% or last viewed magnification from what I recall
You can set a button (doesn’t have to be AF-ON) to zoom in on the focus point which can be set as either 1:1 or last viewed magnification. Pressing this button again zooms in further with each press IIRC, but I’m not sure of a button that you can keep pressing to gradually zoom back out.

I’d imagine there is a way to do it as you can gradually zoom in/out with the wheel but I’ve just not come across it (not that I’ve looked) (y)

You can set a button (doesn’t have to be AF-ON) to zoom in on the focus point which can be set as either 1:1 or last viewed magnification. Pressing this button again zooms in further with each press IIRC, but I’m not sure of a button that you can keep pressing to gradually zoom back out.

I’d imagine there is a way to do it as you can gradually zoom in/out with the wheel but I’ve just not come across it (not that I’ve looked) (y)
My ael button gradually zooms back out. play button back to full view. Cant recall if I set them up or that is teh default though. Probably the former as I use every custom play button for cropping, ftp, protect etc

Back