The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

We'll following on from being super impressed with the AF and Video quality on my little RX100 VII, I've ordered a new A6700 with the 18-135 kit lens, the 10-20 F4 PZ and the little 15mm F1.4. I feel like I'm cheating on my other systems, but sold off a fair bit of unused M4/3 equipment that I haven't used for a while so the actual cost is very minimal. It's my first ever proper foray into Sony proper asides from the RX100 (something I said I'd never do) !

Still keeping my Nikon Z FF equipment as I love that, but (and I never thought I'd say this), depending on how well it does with the A6700, the rest of my micro four thirds system (including my beloved OM-1 and 300mm F4), could well be under threat. The argument for M4/3 being smaller and lighter just doesn't play anymore as the kit I've ordered is smaller and lighter, with (albeit on paper), a better sensor, better AF tracking and MUCH better video (which is the main reason I've ordered it).

Watch this space !

Last edited:
Last edited:
Quick question...

I've recently picked up a MKi A7 to use with my vintage Minolta lenses.

I'm interested in a L-bracket of some type - smallrig if need be, but open to other, cheaper options.

What I'm struggling with a bit is now that I'm typing in L-bracket for Sony A7, it's coming up with versions for every generation of A7.

So the question is... are they all the same size? Would a bracket for a MKiii fit a MKi for example?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
This is special :cool:

I have a B&W 2 stop ND which I mainly use on the 100-400mm, I have 3 stop and 4 stop ND's for the 70-200mm but I can't remember what brand they are off the top of my head, I've got a feeling they're Hoya Pro. I've not noticed any loss of sharpness, however you're not going to see it with slow panning shots anyway as it's all about technique. I've not yet found any ND filter 4 stops and higher that don't have some amount of colour cast if being pedantic, but nothing that's going to ruin a shot.
I can’t find my 3 stop but the 4 stop is firecrest not Hoya.

Quick question...

I've recently picked up a MKi A7 to use with my vintage Minolta lenses.

I'm interested in a L-bracket of some type - smallrig if need be, but open to other, cheaper options.

What I'm struggling with a bit is now that I'm typing in L-bracket for Sony A7, it's coming up with versions for every generation of A7.

So the question is... are they all the same size? Would a bracket for a MKiii fit a MKi for example?

Thanks in advance.
Every generation is different at least up to 4th generation where things get a bit muddled.

First gen is over 10 years old now. So it's unlikely you'll find new ones for them easily. I imagine the market is just too small to keep making new ones.
I'd try places like Ebay or aliexpress

edit:
something like this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304939404412

Last edited:
Every generation is different at least up to 4th generation where things get a bit muddled.

First gen is over 10 years old now. So it's unlikely you'll find new ones for them easily. I imagine the market is just too small to keep making new ones.
I'd try places like Ebay or aliexpress

edit:
something like this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304939404412

Thanks for the confirmation.

Ordered.

I've been meaning to take my 85mm f1.8 out but I usual reach for a 50 or more often 35mm.

A couple more from yesterday, A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.2.

DSC05253.JPG

DSC05268.JPG

PS.
This is one of my favorite 85mm pictures, in his case a Nikon f2 AIS. There's a figure in the distance but I think you have to see this big to see. I'll have to give 85mm a go.

DSC04027 (2).jpg

Last edited:
I've been meaning to take my 85mm f1.8 out but I usual reach for a 50 or more often 35mm.

A couple more from yesterday, A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.2.

View attachment 420157

View attachment 420158

PS.
This is one of my favorite 85mm pictures, in his case a Nikon f2 AIS. There's a figure in the distance but I think you have to see this big to see. I'll have to give 85mm a go.

View attachment 420163
First time I've used my 85mm in ages, over a year probably. I only took it out to take pics of Betty and the Highland Cows but grabbed the landscape whilst I was there, not the most exciting shot ;)

Every link on here produces a black page. Go go the person's Flickr account all opens fine.
It takes me to flickr whether it's the photo I click on or someone's link in their signature.

Got to wait a couple of weeks for my 20-70, they're out of stock.

First time I've used my 85mm in ages, over a year probably. I only took it out to take pics of Betty and the Highland Cows but grabbed the landscape whilst I was there, not the most exciting shot ;)

I used to try and use my lenses for what suited them but also at least in rotation but these days I seem to have fallen into 35 or maybe 50mm with occasional MFT use of 28mm equiv or a long zoom and this has meant that my 20, 24 and 85mm lenses haven't been used in a long time and I really should try and use them for the differences they bring. Otherwise all of my photography looks what it is, mostly 35mm :D

I used to try and use my lenses for what suited them but also at least in rotation but these days I seem to have fallen into 35 or maybe 50mm with occasional MFT use of 28mm equiv or a long zoom and this has meant that my 20, 24 and 85mm lenses haven't been used in a long time and I really should try and use them for the differences they bring. Otherwise all of my photography looks what it is, mostly 35mm :D

You haven't bought any lenses for a while either have you Alan.....? :p

I think I might have posted these a while ago but not sure, anyway just stumbled across some old bokeh tests of the 50mm f1.2 GM vs the Samyang 50mm f1.4 FE II. Here's my takeaways:-

The Samyang doesn't look like it's a true 50mm as it frames wider than the GM
The Samyang appears to have better contrast and more saturation which is surprising (I didn't see this in other comparison tests I did)
The Samyang is much warmer and I prefer this
The Samyang has better bokeh shape wide open but the GM bokeh is much cleaner
From f1.4 and smaller the GM bokeh has better shape and cleaner
At f1.8 on the Samyang you can start to see the bokeh take the shape of the aperture blades and no longer round. At f2 this is quite apparent
The size of he bokeh of the Samyang doesn't change from f1.4 to f1.6, however at f1.6 there's more vignetting which is odd.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 07.50.17.jpgScreenshot 2024-04-16 at 07.50.29.jpgScreenshot 2024-04-16 at 07.50.59.jpgScreenshot 2024-04-16 at 07.51.14.jpgScreenshot 2024-04-16 at 07.51.41.jpg

Last edited:
I think I might have posted these a while ago but not sure, anyway just stumbled across some old bokeh tests of the 50mm f1.2 GM vs the Samyang 50mm f1.4 FE II. Here's my takeaways:-

The Samyang doesn't look like it's a true 50mm as it frames wider than the GM
The Samyang appears to have better contrast and more saturation which is surprising (I didn't see this in other comparison tests I did)
The Samyang is much warmer and I prefer this
The Samyang has better bokeh shape wide open but the GM bokeh is much cleaner
From f1.4 and smaller the GM bokeh has better shape and cleaner
At f1.8 on the Samyang you can start to see the bokeh take the shape of the aperture blades and no longer round. At f2 this is quite apparent
The size of he bokeh of the Samyang doesn't change from f1.4 to f1.6, however at f1.6 there's more vignetting which is odd.

View attachment 420240View attachment 420241View attachment 420242View attachment 420243View attachment 420244
I'm surprised by how much wider samyang is. Sony GM i remember was already reviewed to be slightly wider than other 50mm lenses. So this feels like closer to 40mm than 50mm.

I guess it must focus breath heavily

You haven't bought any lenses for a while either have you Alan.....? :p

I can't think of any Lee.

My days of buying film era lenses are I think over and what modern lenses do I need (or want)? I suppose I could be interested in either a cheap Chinese or Voigtlander level Sony fit manual 28mm and I've always fancied another 12-24mm but in reality that lens is probably too big and heavy for me to be comfortable with.

I'm surprised by how much wider samyang is. Sony GM i remember was already reviewed to be slightly wider than other 50mm lenses. So this feels like closer to 40mm than 50mm.

I guess it must focus breath heavily
Yeah that's a good point, I never thought of that :facepalm: Just had a look at other comparisons I took that weren'tclose to min focus distance and the GM is actually very slightly wider (y)

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 08.39.16.jpg

I can't think of any Lee.

My days of buying film era lenses are I think over and what modern lenses do I need (or want)? I suppose I could be interested in either a cheap Chinese or Voigtlander level Sony fit manual 28mm and I've always fancied another 12-24mm but in reality that lens is probably too big and heavy for me to be comfortable with.

I'm actually thinking of off loading the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 tbh.....!!

I'm actually thinking of off loading the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 tbh.....!!

I sort of wish I'd kept mine then I'd have the three :D but what I should have done was keep it and not bother getting the 35 and 50mm f1.2's. I was really just being silly doing that.

I sort of wish I'd kept mine then I'd have the three :D but what I should have done was keep it and not bother getting the 35 and 50mm f1.2's. I was really just being silly doing that.

Well, I'll be sure to give you a nudge when I do make the decision just in case :ROFLMAO:

It is a lovely lens, but the convenience of the 35GM and eye AF on the A7Riii just makes it a bit redundant now.

Sony seem to be doing some weird things, I'm not getting these recent releases. First the 24-50mm f2.8 and now this. If they were really light pancake type lenses then it'd make sense to me, but they're not super light I don't believe.

I can only guess at the reasons for this but I hope they are bulk and cost reasons rather than Sony doing something just to be different.

I do like the build of the G lenses I have and if this new lens is good and the bulk and weight can be kept down then perhaps it'll find buyers. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to more conventional range lenses such as the usual 16-35mm options.

If this lens has an aperture ring I do hope they can get the markings to line up, unlike those on my 20mm f1.8. It's a small nit picking thing but it is irritating.

Sony seem to be doing some weird things, I'm not getting these recent releases. First the 24-50mm f2.8 and now this. If they were really light pancake type lenses then it'd make sense to me, but they're not super light I don't believe.
my guess is they are making some smaller fast lenses for A7C series.
I don't think you can really get a f2.8 pancake zooms on FF, may be unless they make like a 16-21mm zoom like leica (which isn't a zoom anyway)

I guess these are aimed at the video market, where extra weight can matter

There is the collapsible kit lens.

One thing they could do is add an aperture ring to the 35mm f2.8.

Hmmm. Yes. I suppose.

16-35mm could I suppose cover most of my needs but 16-25mm? That appeals much less to me and I'd want something else in the bag too.
It does seem odd - I used to have a Sigma 12-24 on my A900, but sold it when I got the CZ 16-35 f/2.8 as that was just a much better option as a 'wide' walk about, much less lens changing when 24 just wasn't quite long enough.

It does seem odd - I used to have a Sigma 12-24 on my A900, but sold it when I got the CZ 16-35 f/2.8 as that was just a much better option as a 'wide' walk about, much less lens changing when 24 just wasn't quite long enough.

When I had a 12-24mm I accept it as I thought the stretch from 12-35mm might have been too much and lead to more bulk and weight or less quality. I suppose we'll know more when this new lens is announced and the reviews are out but at the moment I can't see myself buying one but one and a 35mm f1.x might make a good pairing.

They are smaller and lighter than the G.M equivalents but you are losing a bit of range. I knew this lens was coming before I bought the 12-24G.M and debated hanging on for it just to have the smaller lens but in the end decided I wanted the ridiculous option for 12mm.

Most people tend to use wide lenses at their widest most often. If the 12-24 had not of been available I would have went for this all day long over the 16-35 so I could have the smaller and lighter lens.

I would never have used the 16-35 at 35mm.

Last edited:
I hardly use the 17-28/2.8 Tamron so this lens isn't for me.

But 25mm makes more sense since 24mm onwards is usually covered by the 24-70. Not many zooms starts at 35mm so 16-35 always felt weird to me....but it did come in super useful one wedding when my 24-70 died!

Back