The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I only have one genuine battery for the A7Riii. And I think either one or none for the A7.

Apart from the one that came with the camera I've always had third party batteries and they've been ok but I just wanted to give Sony ones a try. There is a massive price difference but if they last longer they'll be worth it for me as last time I went out with the camera I forgot to take a second battery and the one in the camera just crashed in a few shots and left me saving battery life like the last film on a roll years ago. It'd be nice to avoid that but I will try to remember to take that second battery.

The setting is in focus assist and is called focus magnification then you usually have at least two options for what it first jumps too.
Or is the question about reviewing images to check focus.

The setting is in focus assist and is called focus magnification then you usually have at least two options for what it first jumps too.
Or is the question about reviewing images to check focus.
It's the latter, and it's about zooming in and out after the initial 'default' zoom to review (y)

Apart from the one that came with the camera I've always had third party batteries and they've been ok but I just wanted to give Sony ones a try. There is a massive price difference but if they last longer they'll be worth it for me as last time I went out with the camera I forgot to take a second battery and the one in the camera just crashed in a few shots and left me saving battery life like the last film on a roll years ago. It'd be nice to avoid that but I will try to remember to take that second battery.
I know your problem, but I have at least one spare battery & card, in all my bags. Even my smallest bag.

I have 4 batteries for the A7III - 2 with Sony hologram and 2 Oxkers that came with a charger (recommended by @LeeRatters here). 1 Sony battery lasts much longer that the other, and both last longer than the 3rd part batteries. The good Sony will do about 1100-1200 shots, the poor one about 800 and the 3rd part about 500-600 each. The camera also warns that I'm using a 3rd party battery every time it's turned on, which is annoying but not the end of the world.

I know your problem, but I have at least one spare battery & card, in all my bags. Even my smallest bag.

In that case I hope you rotate the batteries and keep them freshly charged as I find that a battery which has been left a while doesn't last as long. I'm hoping that'll be better with the Sony batteries too.

I do normally take an extra battery but as luck would have it the time I didn't the battery in the camera just crashed.

Just picked this one for another thread but thought I'd post it here too.

A7 and Nippon Kogaku 24mm f2.8. I've just sold this lens. I have other 24mm lenses including the Sony f2.8 but one thing that Nippon Kogaku has going for it is the build quality. I also sold the similarly excellently built 35mm f2.8 but I'm keeping the 50mm f2 and f1.4.

DSC05266.jpg

Last edited:
I have 4 batteries for the A7III - 2 with Sony hologram and 2 Oxkers that came with a charger (recommended by @LeeRatters here). 1 Sony battery lasts much longer that the other, and both last longer than the 3rd part batteries. The good Sony will do about 1100-1200 shots, the poor one about 800 and the 3rd part about 500-600 each. The camera also warns that I'm using a 3rd party battery every time it's turned on, which is annoying but not the end of the world.

We have 20 odd oem batteries for our work stuff. But when it came to buying spares for my hobby gear I got 2 x PowerExtra batteries and a charger of eBay for £23 delivered. They don’t last as long as the oem batteries but there isn’t a huge difference.

Surprisingly the A7CII doesn’t throw the usual third party battery error message, haven’t tried them in our other bodies though.

In that case I hope you rotate the batteries and keep them freshly charged as I find that a battery which has been left a while doesn't last as long. I'm hoping that'll be better with the Sony batteries too.

I do normally take an extra battery but as luck would have it the time I didn't the battery in the camera just crashed.

You have to rotate with the Sony batteries as well maybe even more so. If you don’t they start to only charge to lower percentages.

You can mitagate this by draining them to zero and recharging. Sometimes it takes more than one cycle to get them back to charging to 100% again.

You have to rotate with the Sony batteries as well maybe even more so. If you don’t they start to only charge to lower percentages.

You can mitagate this by draining them to zero and recharging. Sometimes it takes more than one cycle to get them back to charging to 100% again.

I do rotate my batteries and I do very often use them until they are drained or at least very nearly but if these Sony batteries are much longer lasting I may have to deliberately drain them but I don't think that's a real biggie, I think it's doable.

I do rotate my batteries and I do very often use them until they are drained or at least very nearly but if these Sony batteries are much longer lasting I may have to deliberately drain them but I don't think that's a real biggie, I think it's doable.

Yeah I do that.

Easiest way to drain them is just to shoot video. 4k shooting drains them pretty fast.

Yes my rear wheel zooms in and out, however I want to assign the 'out' to the bottom lower press of the wheel, but I can't find an 'out' or 'zoom out' preset so I can assign it to the lower press of the wheel.
Just had a look at my camera, here's what the A1 buttons do when reviewing images:-

Fn - Zooms in to 1:1 at the focus point (I think I set this myself). Subsequent presses zooms in further in increments
AF-ON - Zooms in to 1:1 at the focus point (must be default). Subsequent presses zooms in further in increments
AEL - Zooms out of a zoomed image, each press zooms out in increments
Rear Wheel - Zooms in in increments (clockwise), zooms out in increments (anticlockwise)
Button in the centre of the wheel - Zooms back out ot full image.

I can't find the options to assign these, other than assigning initial zoom.

Just grabbed a RX100 VA off the bay. Sadly I need to face the fact that my days of carrying full frame and a couple of lenses around everyday are gone so I'm lightening the load a bit.
Will still grab the 7r2 if I'm going out for a reason, but I wanted something for an everyday carry around.
Might get a GR3x HDF if the reviews are any good for a choice as I love the 40mm FL

I know it is a 1" sensor but it occurred to me last night that one of my fav photos I have hanging in the house is a 3ft x 2ft canvas that was taken by a Power shot S95 with a 1/2.3 sensor.
I obviously obsess about specs too much
Sure, it isn't great up close, but a good photo is a good photo regardless of resolution and it still gets a good comment if someone new comes around.

I have a 1" sensor Panasonic TZ100 and the pictures are fine for me if I don't pixel peep and expect the same I'd get from FF.

Good luck with it :D

In decent light or with a steady support, I’ve found the RX100 series to be incredible little cameras

Just grabbed a RX100 VA off the bay. Sadly I need to face the fact that my days of carrying full frame and a couple of lenses around everyday are gone so I'm lightening the load a bit.
Will still grab the 7r2 if I'm going out for a reason, but I wanted something for an everyday carry around.
Might get a GR3x HDF if the reviews are any good for a choice as I love the 40mm FL

I know it is a 1" sensor but it occurred to me last night that one of my fav photos I have hanging in the house is a 3ft x 2ft canvas that was taken by a Power shot S95 with a 1/2.3 sensor.
I obviously obsess about specs too much
Sure, it isn't great up close, but a good photo is a good photo regardless of resolution and it still gets a good comment if someone new comes around.

More than a few years ago now I had a Nikon 1 V1 it only had a 10 million pixel 1" sensor and I got some great images with that wee camera.

Am sure the RX100 will be very capable. Where you not tempted to downsize to one of the A7C series bodies and smaller lenses? Not exactly pocketable but very small and light weight.

In decent light or with a steady support, I’ve found the RX100 series to be incredible little cameras

Nice shot.
I went for the VA as it was the last to have the 1.8-2.8 zoom as I like low light.
I know the RX100v7 will struggle a bit in low light, but with the faster zoom on the VA and NR software being so good now I figured the VA will be OK.
Flickr had a few night cityscapes that I was impressed with.

More than a few years ago now I had a Nikon 1 V1 it only had a 10 million pixel 1" sensor and I got some great images with that wee camera.

Am sure the RX100 will be very capable. Where you not tempted to downsize to one of the A7C series bodies and smaller lenses? Not exactly pocketable but very small and light weight.
The A7C is very much on my watchlist, but I find the A7r2 EVF struggles a bit at night with a lot of noise so until the 7C comes with a better EVF I will wait.
The RX100 will have the same issue as my A7r2, but I'm only spending 450 so I'm willing to put up with it or get used to using the back screen

The A7C is very much on my watchlist, but I find the A7r2 EVF struggles a bit at night with a lot of noise so until the 7C comes with a better EVF I will wait.
The RX100 will have the same issue as my A7r2, but I'm only spending 450 so I'm willing to put up with it or get used to using the back screen

I am really happy with my A7CII. If it had 2 card slots I would happily grab some more for work.

Haven't found the EVF to be any worse at night, than any of our other bodies. All of them will be a bit noisy.

Last edited:

Yes I always rotate my batteries.

I did something I haven't intentionally done before, long exposure water shots. I have to be honest and say that these aren't my thing as I like to see a capture of water moving, if that explains it. Anyway. As I had time to myself I thought I'd give it a go. I also can't remember the last time I used a tripod, I managed to break one of the tab thingies off the zip. Oh well.

A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.2.

DSC05255.JPG

DSC05256.JPG

DSC05257.JPG

DSC05259.JPG

DSC05260.JPG

I wanted to capture some people ghosts and as you can see luckily I did,

There's a bike race going through the area today and some roads were cordoned off to traffic so why cars were stopped in the road indicating right I don't know. Did they expect the barriers and cones to see them and part like the Red Sea? Who knows. Baffling :D

Last edited:
One of my favourites from my recent trips despite perhaps not being the technically the best.
It took a lot of effort and post processing to get this far!
The picture is a blend of two images one for the foreground with 1/50s shutter and one from the sky/aurora with 2s shutter .
All shot handheld from our aeroplane window, so I had to deal with reflections too.
And the last but not the least noise....
The auroras were a lot stronger tbh, but I had to lose some details to deal with window reflections :(

53653727776_ae5f13f11d_b.jpg

One of my favourites from my recent trips despite perhaps not being the technically the best.
The picture is a blend of two images one for the foreground with 1/50s shutter and one from the sky/aurora with 2s shutter .
All shot handheld from our aeroplane window, so I had to deal with reflections too.
The auroras were a lot stronger tbh, but I had to lose some details to deal with window reflections :(

Wow!!

Not bad ;) :ROFLMAO:

A fairly high tide at Portishead last week.

A7Riii - 24GM

*** by Lee, on Flickr

Also managed a sunset visit to a localish nice tree I found last weekend. I just missed the direct light on it by about a minute!! :mad: Bloody horizon cloud! Got something good enough for a first visit as there was some nice clouds but definitely need to go back. Tomorrow.... Or the day after..... :ROFLMAO:

This is great, get it printed!

If this is the right way to go can someone recommend a ND filter 77mm for the 70-200 GMII and 100-400 GM for SS panning for the brighter months ahead and do they lose sharpness compared to stepping down as with the current settings i use on the custom buttons the F-stop can get well into double figures.

If this is the right way to go can someone recommend a ND filter 77mm for the 70-200 GMII and 100-400 GM for SS panning for the brighter months ahead and do they lose sharpness compared to stepping down as with the current settings i use on the custom buttons the F-stop can get well into double figures.
I use K&F variable screw in ND filters. Not noticed any loss of sharpness or colour cast. Used them on my 35&50GM’s

I use Nisi filters, including on my 100-400GM. I can't honestly say that I've noticed any loss in sharpness whatsoever, and there's no colour cast; though I'd be less concerned about the latter, since it is easy to correct in Lightroom.
I'm using a square filter system though and assume you want circular filters? You can get a Nisi 77mm circular filter kit for about £150.00; not cheap but then neither is a GM lens.

This is special :cool:
I have a B&W 2 stop ND which I mainly use on the 100-400mm, I have 3 stop and 4 stop ND's for the 70-200mm but I can't remember what brand they are off the top of my head, I've got a feeling they're Hoya Pro. I've not noticed any loss of sharpness, however you're not going to see it with slow panning shots anyway as it's all about technique. I've not yet found any ND filter 4 stops and higher that don't have some amount of colour cast if being pedantic, but nothing that's going to ruin a shot.

Back