The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Gulp!
And thus is before prices go up.

I would imagine the prices on the new bits already take into account the rumoured price increases.

It's already been made public that Germany has Sony price hikes in August, I think the UK will be at around the same time.

Besides, it's not like £2.5k for a 70-200 f2.8 or £550 for a teleconverter is cheap lol (not that those prices surprised me).

Compared to the $ price, the £ and € prices are already considerable higher (although nothing new there either).

Morning friends.

I'll be putting in the classifieds the hss flash and trigger/receiver set later. Flash has been fired literally about 10 times and the trigger hasn't been used.

If that's the Godox TT685S, any particular reason you're selling? One I bought with the X1T-S trigger from Amazon arrived yesterday.

I've only had a short amount of time to play with it, but it seems OK for the money. Certainly a lot cheaper than my Canon 580EXes :D

If that's the Godox TT685S, any particular reason you're selling? One I bought with the X1T-S trigger from Amazon arrived yesterday.

I've only had a short amount of time to play with it, but it seems OK for the money. Certainly a lot cheaper than my Canon 580EXes :D

I don't currently have any Sony gear for it to work with and unfortunately missed the return deadline with Amazon.

Lots of firmware updates for lenses released, improves focusing. Anyone tried it yet?

Do my 35 f2.8 and 24-70 f4 tonight.

Interestingly its the same firmware for a bunch of lenses.

SEL2470Z / SEL55F18Z / SEL70200G and SEL2870 Firmware and says "This update provides the “Quick starting” function."

Last edited:
Lots of firmware updates for lenses released, improves focusing. Anyone tried it yet?

SEL2470Z / SEL55F18Z / SEL70200G and SEL2870 Firmware and says "This update provides the “Quick starting” function."

Thanks for letting us know about this. I can only find an update for the 35 f2.8 which is for spontaneous focusing when left on manual for a long time.

I can't find anything for the 24-70 or the 55. Have you got a link please?

Notice Sonys are selling out at most places.. Cant of sorted the production out yet since the earth quake?

The Samyang AF 50mm f1.4 gets a mention on the rumour site with links to the featured review.

Rumour site...

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-...ng-50mmf-1-4-fe-autofocus-lens/#disqus_thread

Direct to the review...

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/samyang_af_50mm_f1_4_fe_review/

It may not be excellent by todays very high standards but I can see it tempting buyers with its reasonable price, for an AF FE mount 50mm f1.4.

PS.
I just had a quick look at the sample images at f1.4, I haven't downloaded the files, I just looked at their samples but I think there's possibly something off as some of the f1.4 shots look quite soft but others look much more acceptable. Bad technique? Iffy focusing? I'm not sure but if interested in this lens I'd wait for more reviews and sample images or the chance to try one in person.

Last edited:

Sorry for daft question but is this firmware for the camera body or somehow for the lens

Notice Sonys are selling out at most places.. Cant of sorted the production out yet since the earth quake?

I believe originally only the original A7/A7R & A7S production was affected but other major 2016 product announcements have been pushed back so I'm not so sure now.
Stock could have been held back in preparation for the price increases.

Thanks for this. I'll have a look.

When I had one I didn't use it much with the issue I had with filthy sensor but thinking having one again.

What these like at night time photography. Even the EVF

Andrew, I think that the odd dust bunny is par for the course with any interchangeable lens camera.

I had a bunny on my GX7 sensor yesterday, the in camera cleaner didn't shift it but a blast with a rocket did and a test shot at f22 showed a clean sensor. It's really not that much of an issue once you get into the swing of cleaning and get the confidence to do it.

On the night time shooting, I have no complaints.

A7ii with Minolta Rokkor f1.4

28343096495_1ee1e58af3_h.jpg

Never had any dust bunnies on my original A7 or both my A7RII's.

ah, but do you guys with zero dust bunnies test for them?

I usually use apertures from wide open to maybe f10 (but rarely) and I can't remember seeing a dust bunny in a shot for a loooooong time but after using my cameras for a while I take a test shot at max aperture (maybe f22) and clean the sensor if required. My test shot is a white door. Sometimes I take a series of shots gradually opening the aperture and if a bunny is only visible at apertures I'm not going to use... who cares? But normally I have a zero tolerance policy :D

Last edited:
ah, but do you guys with zero dust bunnies test for them?

I usually use apertures from wide open to maybe f10 (but rarely) and I can't remember seeing a dust bunny in a shot for a loooooong time but after using my cameras for a while I take a test shot at max aperture (maybe f22) and clean the sensor if required. My test shot is a white door. Sometimes I take a series of shots gradually opening the aperture and if a bunny is only visible at apertures I'm not going to use... who cares? But normally I have a zero tolerance policy :D
No would only test if I had a problem it's very rare I stop down as far as f13 only then for slowing shutter speed for say water shots

My decision now is whether shift the d750 and come back to a Sony a7ii

Okay just checked for buns can see 2 from f18 when i magnify at 200%

Probably will clean next week even though its not much of anise for me

Hope that helps re Nikon or Sony would have thought main issue do you like EVF and do you shoot sport

All this talk of cleaning got me thinking I should probably do my gear.

Sensor wasn't bad at all, couple of blasts with rocket blower and perfect. Lenses took no time either, rocket in the back and Zeiss wipes on the front - all good.

Filters. I hate cleaning filters. But done and all perfect

Off to Praa Sands tonight for a few beers then maybe a night shoot on the beach. Then a chill in the morning, nice pub lunch and off to Godrevy ready for hopefully a descent sunset.

I'll bet I'm in the minority at these places hoping for a little cloud ;)

I don't shoot sports at all. And I liked EVF when tried it

No would only test if I had a problem it's very rare I stop down as far as f13 only then for slowing shutter speed for say water shots

I prefer prevention to cure and therefore normally check/clean my camera sensor either before I put it away or before take it out for the day.

To be fair though I've only ever lost a few shots to dust bunnies back when I had Canon DSLR's. Other than that bunnies were common and I remember coming back from Kazakhstan with my 5D and Sigma 50mm which never left the camera and still sitting up until daft AM cloning out bunnies on hundreds of shots, I'm glad those days are gone. The few shots I lost were macro shots of a spider and the bunnies were so strategically placed that rescuing the shots was beyond my PS capabilities so I just cursed the camera and deleted the shots.

These days I do multiple lens changes in the street, hills, woods or at the beach... as demonstrated by some of the shots I've posted here and all with greatly fewer issues than I ever had even when not changing the lens on my Canon DSLR's :D

Last edited:
I prefer prevention to cure and therefore normally check/clean my camera sensor either before I put it away or before take it out for the day.

To be fair though I've only ever lost a few shots to dust bunnies back when I had Canon DSLR's. Other than that bunnies were common and I remember coming back from Kazakhstan with my 5D and Sigma 50mm which never left the camera and still sitting up until daft AM cloning out bunnies on hundreds of shots, I'm glad those days are gone. The few shots I lost were macro shots of a spider and the bunnies were so strategically placed that rescuing the shots was beyond my PS capabilities so I just cursed the camera and deleted the shots.

These days I do multiple lens changes in the street, hills, woods or at the beach... as demonstrated by some of the shots I've posted here and all with greatly fewer issues than I ever had even when not changing the lens on my Canon DSLR's :D
Alan
This is an image of a completely blue sky ( a rare event round here) It's at f22. This is as bad if not worse than my old 5D ever got.
LR6.6 Spot removal tool "visualise spots" ;-)upload_2016-7-16_20-30-56.png
upload_2016-7-16_20-30-56.png

Apologies for the duplicate image.
This is what it looked like at f16 after a bit of a blow and a wipe with a chinese knockoff arctic butterfly...
upload_2016-7-16_20-39-41.png

Your A7 series is as bad as your 5D ever got? I just don't understand this.

Any and all of the CSC's I had are much better (for lacking bunnies) than my 5D. That camera I could clean and just leave in the cupboard and it'd be dirty again the next day, well, almost... it suffered visible dust bunnies at f8 and that's something that I haven't seen a single time with any of my CSC's.

Your mileage does vary, I guess. All I take is ordinary measures, I turn my back to any wind and point the camera lens down for lens removal and fitting and that's it.

Last edited:
Think I asked before.

Anyone here a ex D750 user with a a7ii. And you comments pls. I've been given a good deal if want it.

A7ii wishes it a a7rii but finance won't allowed with lens

Back