The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I've just spotted that converting pictures in Nik makes them BIGGER. A couple of colour shots I converted to basically a warm B&W went from 10/12mb to 22/23mb. More baffling is that the smaller colour file (in mb's) turned into the largest B&W. How baffling.

And there's more... another file went from 20mb in colour to 14mb in B&W. How random.

Last edited:
I've just spotted that converting pictures in Nik makes them BIGGER. A couple of colour shots I converted to basically a warm B&W went from 10/12mb to 22/23mb. More baffling is that the smaller colour file (in mb's) turned into the largest B&W. How baffling.

And there's more... another file went from 20mb in colour to 14mb in B&W. How random.

If it's a TIFF original you are converting, it could be that it's the difference between a compressed and uncompressed TIFF file. LZW compression used internally in Photoshop TIFFs is lossless, so it doesn't save as much space as JPEG. Nik may not be compressing their output TIFFs.

Actually they're all JPEG's as I don't usually save as TIFFs. It was just something I noticed and I don't suppose it really matters, I'm just a bit confused by the variation and the smallest ending up as the largest etc especially as those two 10/12mb shots were processed using exactly the same steps and settings so I'd expect them to both be either bigger or smaller after the process but to be bigger and smaller? :D

I might see if I can figure it out... and I'm sure it isn't actually random and that there is a reason for what the files end up as. Dunno though :D

Last edited:
A new Brickon Brickkor 70-200mm f2.8 VR FL has been announced, its $100 more than the G Master :eek:

Quite small too. Not sure why they changed the zoom and focus ring round either.

Mmmmmm it's slight more expensive than I thought .... not smaller than the G Master though?

Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VR FL £2799
Weight
1430 g (3.15 lb)
Diameter
89 mm (3.48″)
Length
203 mm (7.97″)

Sony 70-200 f2.8 G Master £2499
Weight
1480 g (3.26 lb)
Diameter
88 mm (3.46″)
Length
200 mm (7.87″)

Mmmmmm it's slight more expensive than I thought .... not smaller than the G Master though?

Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VR FL £2799
Weight
1430 g (3.15 lb)
Diameter
89 mm (3.48″)
Length
203 mm (7.97″)

Sony 70-200 f2.8 G Master £2499
Weight
1480 g (3.26 lb)
Diameter
88 mm (3.46″)
Length
200 mm (7.87″)

the g master is heavier. interesting. i guess thats the FL glass in this lens.
£££ its a big increase over the the v2 - i wonder what the Nikon guys think about it.

how you finding your g master? how does it compare to the f4 - in real world terms.

Got my Nissin i60a today, the camera dealership is enticing me to move to the Fuji system and the XT-2. :eek:

Got my Nissin i60a today, the camera dealership is enticing me to move to the Fuji system and the XT-2. :eek:
Got mine during the week, first time in use today and very impressed, only really for on camera work but the compact size and power go well with the a7rii and even the a6000.

If you are jumping ship. ;)

Dibs on the gear.

I don't think I can jump ship just yet :D
Let's see what the Sony A9 brings to the table however I have emailed my dealership a list of potential Fuji gear :eek:

Last edited:
Haven't you got your first wedding coming up soon? The most important thing for that is to know your kit so you can concentrate on your results. I'm sure you know this, just thought I'd give a heads up.

Agreed,
I've already done a wedding as a second photographer and previously as a friend of the family so it's not going to be completely new but doing a actual wedding on my own is exciting, looking forward to it :)
You've hit the nail on the head, moving systems won't improve my skills etc.
It's more the GAS inside me and the fact the dealership said I shouldn't lose anything (£) to move over to Fuji which got me thinking "let's see the figures then".

More Bremoaning? Rising prices for foreign goods make me wish there was a UK made alternative. Manufacturing isn't doing too badly at the mo and if we had a UK photo industry maybe it'd be raking in the orders too but apart from Cooke I can't think of another UK manufacturer. My Kodak Instamatic was made in England but I don't think I've ever owned another camera or lens that was, my Benbo was though :D

Be happy for the guys at the Ritz, they'll possibly be treating themselves if they're clocking up the overtime :D and we could all be Greek, Italian or French, unemployed and with no hope of getting a well paid job. I have an Italian friend who's a highly qualified biologist and works part time in a library as it's all she can get and she has to fight her way past aggressive beggars to get there every day. Things could deffo be worse and most of the world has a lot more to worry about than the price of D750's.

Anyway. Enough politics.

Agreed,
I've already done a wedding as a second photographer and previously as a friend of the family so it's not going to be completely new but doing a actual wedding on my own is exciting, looking forward to it :)
You've hit the nail on the head, moving systems won't improve my skills etc.
It's more the GAS inside me and the fact the dealership said I shouldn't lose anything (£) to move over to Fuji which got me thinking "let's see the figures then".
How did you cope with the buffer rate on the a7r2?

More Bremoaning? Rising prices for foreign goods make me wish there was a UK made alternative. Manufacturing isn't doing too badly at the mo and if we had a UK photo industry maybe it'd be raking in the orders too but apart from Cooke I can't think of another UK manufacturer. My Kodak Instamatic was made in England but I don't think I've ever owned another camera or lens that was, my Benbo was though :D

Be happy for the guys at the Ritz, they'll possibly be treating themselves if they're clocking up the overtime :D and we could all be Greek, Italian or French, unemployed and with no hope of getting a well paid job. I have an Italian friend who's a highly qualified biologist and works part time in a library as it's all she can get and she has to fight her way past aggressive beggars to get there every day. Things could deffo be worse and most of the world has a lot more to worry about than the price of D750's.

Anyway. Enough politics.
Have a sneaky feeling if leave had lost they would be moaning I might be dragged out but don't have to like it and those who welcome price increases as a price worth paying should all club together and fund those of us who never voted for price increases and your right things could be worse who knows once article 50 is launched it may well be. ;)

How did you cope with the buffer rate on the a7r2?

If I remember correctly I shot this wedding before the last A7RII firmware update which was supposed to resolve heating issues / buffer playback but saying that said it was acceptable with nothing too big to complain about. Yes it could be faster and the buffer/playback performance for what is a £2999 body now is poor, I just don't use high fps anymore and just shoot as and when I need that certain shot. The main photographer uses a Sony A7II and he seems to get by perfectly after moving from a Canon 5D2, he's done quite a few weddings now but he does complain about the poor buffer/playback on the A7II.

Ever since giving up my old Nikon DSLR, I have always had to keep in my head that the A7RII isn't a fast or responsive camera when compared to my old DSLR. For weddings its perfectly fine and the high ISO/DR abilities including the crop ability available is handy.

Now I am really excited about the Sony A9 as you all know but the more I thin about it, I still keep having thoughts about dumping Sony and going down the Fuji XT-2 route as I have seen plenty of (online) wedding photographers using them and get really good results from them ..... perhaps its just the GAS inside me wanting to try something else (new)....... even if the A9 is £3499 that's no small amount of money..... when arguably the XT-2 seems to going down well in terms of AF tracking etc.

If I made the move to a Fuji XT-2 system with the equivalent focal length lenses I would stand to have a fair amount of cash heading back my way plus I'd end up with a system that may be good enough for what I need....... equally having a 42.2mp sensor with the G Master glass is a epic combination though, leaving Sony I'd lose some vital stuff like... epic G Master glass, 42.2mp, AF-Eye Lock, IBIS, high FF ISO/DR abilities etc

What makes the choice even harder is that I may stand to lose very little money by making the move to Fuji.

I guess both systems have their advantages but ultimately I only want a single system.... choices choices.....

Next Sony buys could include the Sony A9, 16-35mm f2.8 GM, 90mm f2.8 G Macro, 2.0x TC :eek: expensive stuff!

Last edited:
If I remember correctly I shot this wedding before the last A7RII firmware update which was supposed to resolve heating issues / buffer playback but saying that said it was acceptable with nothing too big to complain about. Yes it could be faster and the buffer/playback performance for what is a £2999 body now is poor, I just don't use high fps anymore and just shoot as and when I need that certain shot. The main photographer uses a Sony A7II and he seems to get by perfectly after moving from a Canon 5D2, he's done quite a few weddings now but he does complain about the poor buffer/playback on the A7II.

Ever since giving up my old Nikon DSLR, I have always had to keep in my head that the A7RII isn't a fast or responsive camera when compared to my old DSLR. For weddings its perfectly fine and the high ISO/DR abilities including the crop ability available is handy.

Now I am really excited about the Sony A9 as you all know but the more I thin about it, I still keep having thoughts about dumping Sony and going down the Fuji XT-2 route as I have seen plenty of (online) wedding photographers using them and get really good results from them ..... perhaps its just the GAS inside me wanting to try something else (new)....... even if the A9 is £3499 that's no small amount of money..... when arguably the XT-2 seems to going down well in terms of AF tracking etc.

If I made the move to a Fuji XT-2 system with the equivalent focal length lenses I would stand to have a fair amount of cash heading back my way plus I'd end up with a system that may be good enough for what I need....... equally having a 42.2mp sensor with the G Master glass is a epic combination though, leaving Sony I'd lose some vital stuff like... epic G Master glass, 42.2mp, AF-Eye Lock, IBIS, high FF ISO/DR abilities etc

What makes the choice even harder is that I may stand to lose very little money by making the move to Fuji.

I guess both systems have their advantages but ultimately I only want a single system.... choices choices.....

Next Sony buys could include the Sony A9, 16-35mm f2.8 GM, 90mm f2.8 G Macro, 2.0x TC :eek: expensive stuff!

if weddings are going to be your photography bread and butter, a couple of x-t2's would be a good shout. has a lot going for it. excellent manageable files, high burst rate, 2 card slots, good eye af, 3 batteries if gripped and the joystick.

if weddings are going to be your photography bread and butter, a couple of x-t2's would be a good shout. has a lot going for it. excellent manageable files, high burst rate, 2 card slots, good eye af, 3 batteries if gripped and the joystick.
Its got Eye-AF? :D does it work in AF-C mode too?
I see that your looking at keeping the Sony gear too maybe? How comes?
What area's do you feel the Fuji system falls short in?

Last edited:
Its got Eye-AF? :D does it work in AF-C mode too?
I see that your looking at keeping the Sony gear too maybe? How comes?
What area's do you feel the Fuji system falls short in?

has eye af and you can choose which eye you want it to focus on. ;)

yes I'm keeping/acquiring some sony gear. theres a few portrait projects id like to do and try some 1.2/1.4 lenses. i'll keep fuji though as its great to use and has been really good for a few weddings I've done.
where its falls short, id say is that you need a 1.2 lens to get the equivalent 1.8 dof of a full frame camera. so if you want to go crazy and melt the background its not as easy as doing so on a full frame body.

Have a sneaky feeling if leave had lost they would be moaning I might be dragged out but don't have to like it and those who welcome price increases as a price worth paying should all club together and fund those of us who never voted for price increases and your right things could be worse who knows once article 50 is launched it may well be. ;)

Nobody voted for price rises but you have to play the long game and the long game is to be tied to an increasingly unpopular (in Europe) detached, undemocratic and racist EC facing an ever dire economic outlook (look at the perilous state of some of the banks and youth unemployment in the EC) or look to the wider world and try and make things better for future generations. Wouldn't that be better than dummy spitting over the price of a camera.

Anyway, I wish we could keep politics out of this thread as there's the whole community section for this.

Last edited:
Nobody voted for price rises but you have to play the long game and the long game is to be tied to an increasingly unpopular (in Europe) detached, undemocratic and racist EC facing an ever dire economic outlook (look at the perilous state of some of the banks and youth unemployment in the EC) or look to the wider world and try and make things better for future generations. Wouldn't that be better than dummy spitting over the price of a camera.

Anyway, I wish we could keep politics out of this thread as there's the whole community section for this.

I wish it was just the price of a camera.....

But agree lets move

If you want fast AF, good C-AF and still use G Master lenses why not just buy a couple of A6000/6300/6500 (or 6700 next week) and then use the considerable amount of kit you've already got? That way you can still use the G-Master/Zeiss kit without worrying about the buffer on the A7 or spending another £3.5k on the mythical A9?

The last wedding I shot this year was with a D750/24-70 and my A6000 and the clients didn't know (or care) which shot was taken on which camera. In the end it was about 60/40 in favour of the Nikon for the album photos but the results weren't night and day different.

Last edited:
Get your kit out in this thread...

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/kit-whore.638454/#post-7600820

And OP links to this site and I thought I'd post it here as it's a bloke who saw the light and moved from DSLR's to A7x's :D

http://shotkit.com/emin-kuliyev/

Wot a lot of kit he has :D

Nice.... I am still trying to keep my GAS at bay although I did buy a Nissin i60a last week :D
With the new 2016 MacBook Pro coming out next week and probably a FE 16-35mm f2.8 G Master soon. I am sure GAS will take hold again..... also got my beady eyes on the FE 90mm f2.8 G Macro!! :eek:
The there is the whole Sony to Fuji situation buzzing around my head.

Last edited:
Back