The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

All to do with that fancy touch bar. So glad I bough the new 15" 2 month ago off someone brand new sealed for £1000 with 12 month warranty

Wow, at those prices I'll be going back to a Windows Laptop next time! My MBP (15" 2015 model) was £2000, £2700 for the new equivalent, nuts!

Yup can get touch screen laptop higher specs at less than half the price

Could well end up going the iPad Pro route mmmmm depends if I'm still with Sony or not.

Do you do like me, use an abacus last for ages and very energy efficient ;)

I do sums in me 'ed :D At the height and worst of my addiction to tech things I might have had 20 computers of various types in the house. Madness.

I used to have desk top and tower thingies but I hate to see a computer set up on a desk as I think they dominate rooms so these days I have a 17" laptop and when it's not in use I put it out of sight. I have a tablet too, it's the first I've had, and it too is put out of sight when not in use. Actually the only technology I have on view is the TV, HiFi and the stuff in the kitchen. Anything else is out of sight.

Could well end up going the iPad Pro route mmmmm depends if I'm still with Sony or not.
I have the small iPad Pro and Astropad with a 5k desktop I do find that I get a lot of lag on LR and Photoshop, having said that I like the Pro it's faster than the air mk 1 plus the battery for me does really well

Last edited:
Just think the 70-200 could pay for two xt2's

Yup, the A7RII was doing great until it started to refuse to focus, seems ok now.

The problem is the Sony A9 is going to cost a bomb, something which I am reluctant to spend considering my actual photography needs.

Might be calling it a day with the Sony gear.

I'm really considering the side-step to a XT-2 at the moment..... :eek: just worried about the drop in IQ going from FF.

Waiting for a trade in price of all my Sony gear at present :eek:

Last edited:
The Sony refused to focus??? Is this with native lenses or via an adapter? I've never had that.

I can sort of see the Fuji love but personally I don't think the mix is right for me and that's ignoring the whole APS-C v FF considerations. Is the love due to the manual dials? The look of the things? I've been through the manual dial love phase and I've come to accept that for me the more common front and back dial approach is better in use.

Maybe it's the cost considerations that are pushing you towards Fuji? Are the costs that significant?

I think though that the Fuji love is something than many seem to be feeling the need to go through and if you can't stop thinking about them then go for it... but for me going back to a smaller format but a package that's about the same bulk as the A7 doesn't make sense and would be difficult for me even if in 99% of scenarios I don't need the A7 quality, I just like having it :D Those 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 lenses are lovely :D and then there'd be issues for me using my old manual lenses.

Good luck whatever you do.

PS.
A9 - We'll have to wait and see but I expect great things but things I'll be watching from the sidelines as I can't see myself needing wanting or buying a more upmarket and higher performance system than the A7.

Last edited:
Right folks, looks like I'd only be losing around £500 on my entire Sony gear which is seriously good mmmm choices choices.
If I sell privately I'd get more obviously. :)

Right folks, looks like I'd only be losing around £500 on my entire Sony gear which is seriously good mmmm choices choices.
If I sell privately I'd get more obviously. :)

But WHY? What is it that's attracting you to Fuji or maybe pushing you away from the A7 series? Just costs? Straight out of the camera JPEG's and film filters and the like? I never use those.

As I've said many times, if going to APS-C I'd go A6xxx series rather than Fuji mainly to keep the bulk down.

But WHY? What is it that's attracting you to Fuji or maybe pushing you away from the A7 series? Just costs? Straight out of the camera JPEG's and film filters and the like? I never use those.

As I've said many times, if going to APS-C I'd go A6xxx series rather than Fuji mainly to keep the bulk down.

Mainly the costs, I have too much invested in it and since my photography needs have been reduced is there a need for me to keep top end Sony gear and buy yet another body for better speed/responsiveness.

The problem with the Sony APS-C system is that there are no quality glass for it (crop) and I find it pointless using FE lenses on it as the size is silly.
In reality the Fuji may cut it, I'm still thinking long and hard about it, moving to Fuji will get me a more complete system and I would be getting a good chunk of money back my way from trading to a Fuji system.

Last edited:
Mainly the costs, I have too much invested in it and since my photography needs have been reduced is there a need for me to keep a top end Sony gear and buy yet another body for better speed/responsiveness.
The problem with the Sony APS-C is that there are no quality glass for it (crop).
In reality the Fuji may cut it, I'm still thinking long and hard about it.

I would also be getting a good few £££ back too to bank.
I would probably stick Sony when A9 comes out buy that and sell the A7r2 for part funding, the gear you own in a years time may well be worth a fair bit more than now taking ££££'s into the bank is likely to get you less return than sticking as you are now so from a financial standpoint stick

FF v. Crop no contest really

Glass do you really think the alternative glass will suit you better

Just my 2 pence :)

An a6xx camera wouldn't really match up against an xt2 for weddings imho.

Straight off the bat I'm thinking:
2 card slots vs 1
Battery grip vs none
3 batteries vs 1

I have the luxury of not having to worry about making money.

I wouldn't say that all A6xxx glass is crap. The 24mm is about the only one I've seriously looked at and as far as I know it is pretty much universally accepted as being very good however I'd prefer it to be less bulky even if this meant less finite quality. The other lenses may all be ho hum, I don't know but I do suspect that not all are actually crap :D

Looks like careful thought has been done and minds are made up so good luck with the Fuji system, both of you :D

Last edited:
So my GAS or maybe laugh

Just bought a pair of waders going to see if I can get the courage to get in the water for some long'ish exposure shots

Having never fished a strange shopping experience indeed

Just in case nope no selfies in my new clobber :runaway:

An a6xx camera wouldn't really match up against an xt2 for weddings imho.

Straight off the bat I'm thinking:
2 card slots vs 1
Battery grip vs none
3 batteries vs 1

I shot my last wedding with my A6K alongside a D750 and it was fine.

A single card slot never bothered me, just rotate cards if it's a concern.

Personally I can't stand battery grips. I bought a smaller camera to keep it small. Bolting a chunk of plastic on to make it bigger defeats the object.

Battery life also isn't a major problem. I have 4 batteries and can keep one in my pocket and two in the bag. I think I used 2 batteries all day. You can get a battery grip for the A6xx if you really need one though.

Lens wise I hired a 70-200 F4 and used it along with the 50/1.8 all day. The results are perfectly good and my clients couldn't tell and didn't care which photograph was taken with which camera. If the 12" behind the camera is good enough your results will be too.

Last edited:
FF vs Crop, most customers won't even notice, it's just my pixel peeping which led me down FF and GM lenses.

I'm going to put up all my gear on sale here first. Then it's off to the dealers.

FF vs Crop, most customers won't even notice, it's just my pixel peeping which led me down FF and GM lenses.

I'm going to put up all my gear on sale here first. Then it's off to the dealers.
You remind me of me many years ago when younger ie fast too decide

I hope you enjoy the change brand

[/QUOTE]
I shot my last wedding with my A6K alongside a D750 and it was fine.

A single card slot never bothered me, just rotate cards if it's a concern.

Personally I can't stand battery grips. I bought a smaller camera to keep it small. Bolting a chunk of plastic on to make it bigger defeats the object.

Battery life also isn't a major problem. I have 4 batteries and can keep one in my pocket and two in the bag. I think I used 2 batteries all day. You can get a battery grip for the A6xx if you really need o

Lens wise I hired a 70-200 F4 and used it along with the 50/1.8 all day. The results are perfectly good and my clients couldn't tell and didn't care which photograph was taken with which camera. If the 12" behind the camera is good enough your results will be too.

Goes to show it's all about personal preference. What works for some won't appeal to others.
I had a look at an a6000 battery grip and it is awful. I like the extra batteries and extra card slot, less things to worry about in the heat of wedding.

I agree that the grip available for the A6000 looks terrible and ruins the shape of the camera. It's definitely personal opinion when it comes to any camera.

It's the external connecter from the grip to the camera that always put me off.

OMG are you for serious selling up Sony and the GM lens to go for Fuji.. You though about this before and decided to stick to sony and now your thinking again lol.. What the reason please why not just sell the GM and stick to the other sony lens?

OMG are you for serious selling up Sony and the GM lens to go for Fuji.. You though about this before and decided to stick to sony and now your thinking again lol.. What the reason please why not just sell the GM and stick to the other sony lens?
Fuji look nicer :exit:

It's not that there is anything wrong with the lenses, it's just the body side of things and I can only see this being addressed in future more expensive bodies like the A9.
I have to be realistic, photography isn't going to my main source of income anymore so having so much money just sat there has got me thinking, what do I actually want & need.

Having just got in from shooting a wedding, it kind of went ok, I can't say that it was as smooth as other occasions when it comes to body operation and the poor buffer became obvious.
I'm not 100% happy with the A7RII following today's AF issue, it could have been the lens and/or body that refused to AF, didn't even try to AF hunt. Half pressed the shutter button and nothing...... I had to reset the camera in some instances.

Going to Fuji route will be a more cost affective solution as I'll still be able to shoot the odd wedding with the XT-2 without too much difficulty.

I'm not going to make excuses and say that there is no denying that the Sony FF 42.2mp BSI sensor & GM lenses are epic but then so is the price / weight.

Honestly, will a actual customer notice real world difference between Sony vs Fuji photographs????

I think I'm going to go down the Fuji once I have sold of the bulk of my gear.

Last edited:
Honestly, will a actual customer notice real world difference between Sony vs Fuji photographs????

Nope wouldn't have a clue people who are not into photography don't even know there's different sensor sizes let alone how to tell the difference. And lets be honest, if we were to be presented with two photos without any other info would we be able to tell the difference? (all things considered equal).

Back