The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Can anyone recommend an L-plate bracket? Been looking at the Neewer ones on Amazon but read a few reviews about them scratching the base of the camera. Use to have one on my XT1 that had a felt type material which obviously protects against rubbing, can't remember what make it was though.

Nice.... I am still trying to keep my GAS at bay although I did buy a Nissin i60a last week :D
With the new 2016 MacBook Pro coming out next week and probably a FE 16-35mm f2.8 G Master soon. I am sure GAS will take hold again..... also got my beady eyes on the FE 90mm f2.8 G Macro!! :eek:
The there is the whole Sony to Fuji situation buzzing around my head.

I'd like the 16-35 and 90mm.

There are also a couple of keenly priced A6000's for sale and I've fancied one of those for a loooong time but I can't say that I need one :(

I'd like the 16-35 and 90mm.

There are also a couple of keenly priced A6000's for sale and I've fancied one of those for a loooong time but I can't say that I need one :(

It's not about need, it's about want. ;)
Sell off the M4/3 system and get a A6xxx then build up your FE lenses :D

It's not about need, it's about want. ;)
Sell off the M4/3 system and get a A6xxx then build up your FE lenses :D

I'm tempted but each system has its pros and cons and at the mo MFT just edges it for me. Here's how I see it but if I've got anything wrong maybe someone could put me right...

A6000 pros.
- Better image quality at the extremes.
- Better EVF.
- Great features such as full time DoF preview and auto ISO and exposure compensation in all modes.
- I could use my A7 lenses.

A6000 cons.
- I don't like the top dial and real wheel layout. I'd like it better if there was a front dial and back dial. It's also missing one or two other nice control features like a AF/MF switch.
- I'm not completely happy with the lenses. They seem to run from very good to rather uninspiring with some lenses verging on being too big and others being completely missing and unlikely to appear in my lifetime. The lens short comings and omissions are possibly/probably never going to be addressed by Sony.
- No silent mode. This is available with later and much more expensive A6xxx series cameras.
- Limited to a max shutter speed of 1/4000. This may be better with the newer models which have an electronic shutter.

MFT pros.
- Good lens line up. Just about everything is there and some are very good and compact too. I have acceptable to good compact wide aperture lenses at full frame equivalents of 28, 35, 40, 50 and 90mm and an excellent and quite compact 24-70mm equivalent f2.8.
- Good control layout with front and back dials and AF/MF switch.
- Silent mode available.
- A max mechanical shutter speed of 1/8000 is available or if not there's a good auto mechanical to electronic shutter option.

MFT cons.
- Shutter shock with some body and lens combinations. To sell SS affected bodies and lenses as a kit is IMO disgraceful. And no, the electronic shutter isn't a fix all answer as it brings its own issues. This is hopefully cured with the very latest cameras.
- The GX7 (and presumably the GX80 too as I think it's the same) has the worst EVF I've seen on a serious camera. My ancient G1 has a better EVF in good light at least.
- No full time DoF preview and when it is available it's clunky.
- No auto ISO with exposure compensation in all modes.
- Image quality is ok but not up to the APS-C competition if you go to extremes.

And breath.

Afternoon guys a car smashed into me while I was cycling. Normally I have my a7r2 in my bag but thankfully I diddnt yesterday. I'm ok. Just bruised up. Nothing broken.

The guy did a runner but we got his licence plate and footage off it all from another car behind him from his dashcam

I'm lucky it wasn't severe. It could have been. Life's to short guys so please take pics and enjoy your hobby/interests

Glad you're ok but maybe if the A9 had been out it would have been responsive enough for you to get some good action shots from unusual angles and perspectives as you flew through the air. It'll be interesting to see if the A9's tracking and frame rate are up to this sort of shooting.

I wonder if you could arrange another crash once you have an A9?

PS.
:D

Afternoon guys a car smashed into me while I was cycling. Normally I have my a7r2 in my bag but thankfully I diddnt yesterday. I'm ok. Just bruised up. Nothing broken.

The guy did a runner but we got his licence plate and footage off it all from another car behind him from his dashcam

I'm lucky it wasn't severe. It could have been. Life's to short guys so please take pics and enjoy your hobby/interests
Hope they throw the book at the driver doing a runner b*****d hope your bruising sorts itself soon glad your still in the land of the living :)

Glad you're ok but maybe if the A9 had been out it would have been responsive enough for you to get some good action shots from unusual angles and perspectives as you flew through the air. It'll be interesting to see if the A9's tracking and frame rate are up to this sort of shooting.

I wonder if you could arrange another crash once you have an A9?

PS.
Haha this post cheered me up!

Glad your ok mate....... get a copy of the footage and report it to the police as a hit/run - failure to report.... get a decent solicitor and take the mupster to court for vast amounts of (mullah) £££.. then put that towards the Sony A9 as its not going to be cheap! :D
Meanwhile I am still wondering about the Sony A9 and when it'll see the light of day...... fortunately other pressing matters have surfaced.... new MacBook Pro is out tomorrow :eek: lol mmmmmm

Glad your ok mate....... get a copy of the footage and report it to the police as a hit/run - failure to report.... get a decent solicitor and take the mupster to court for vast amounts of (mullah) £££.. then put that towards the Sony A9 as its not going to be cheap! :D
Meanwhile I am still wondering about the Sony A9 and when it'll see the light of day...... fortunately other pressing matters have surfaced.... new MacBook Pro is out tomorrow :eek: lol mmmmmm
New surface book just announced and new imac surface thingy

New surface book just announced and new imac surface thingy
I was considering a iPad Pro for photo editing as Lightroom iOS now supports RAW files but actual raw storage space is going to be a issue, especially if the new Sony A9 is pushing 70mp uncompressed RAW files.
So I think the best option is a MacBook Pro :D

I don't envy you editing all those wedding photos from a 70mp camera. That's going to take some serious storage space

Glad you're ok dude.

Life is short, let the GAS release itself. You only live once!

I don't envy you editing all those wedding photos from a 70mp camera. That's going to take some serious storage space
I know.... if Sony did make two A9 bodies, one a 24/42mp high speed body and a slower 70mp beast I don't know which I'd go for..... I love the ability to crop on high resolution files and retain the detail...... roll on 2017...... could be a epic GAS year lol :D
Still undecided on the whole Fuji move idea.....

I was considering a iPad Pro for photo editing as Lightroom iOS now supports RAW files but actual raw storage space is going to be a issue, especially if the new Sony A9 is pushing 70mp uncompressed RAW files.
So I think the best option is a MacBook Pro :D
What about the Pro with 2TB wifi drive,by the way any mention of a new Pro by apple?

What about the Pro with 2TB wifi drive,by the way any mention of a new Pro by apple?

A WiFi drive with the iPad Pro could work but I am thinking about the future, my current MacBook Pro has lasted over 6 years :eek: so a new MacBook Pro seems a good option as I doubt a iPad Pro will last as long in terms of raw CPU power etc.
Apple are announcing the MacBook Pro tomorrow but leaks have already confirmed the following spec's

Intel Skylake CPU's
Up to 2TB Flash Storage
Thinner and ligher design
Butterfly Keyboard
Single LED lit-up keyboard
Speakers relocated to the side of the chassis
Better battery life
Injection molded hinges
OLED touch bar with TouchID
USB3
No SD card slot
No USB ports
new MagSafe power connection
masOS

No new Mac Pro or iMac's until 2017.

No USB or sd
A WiFi drive with the iPad Pro could work but I am thinking about the future, my current MacBook Pro has lasted over 6 years :eek: so a new MacBook Pro seems a good option as I doubt a iPad Pro will last as long in terms of raw CPU power etc.
Apple are announcing the MacBook Pro tomorrow but leaks have already confirmed the following spec's

Intel Skylake CPU's
Up to 2TB Flash Storage
Butterfly Keyboard
Better battery life
Injection molded hinges
USB3
No SD card slot
No USB ports
masOS

No sd or USB? Wtf

I'm tempted but each system has its pros and cons and at the mo MFT just edges it for me. Here's how I see it but if I've got anything wrong maybe someone could put me right...

A6000 pros.
- Better image quality at the extremes.
- Better EVF.
- Great features such as full time DoF preview and auto ISO and exposure compensation in all modes.
- I could use my A7 lenses.

A6000 cons.
- I don't like the top dial and real wheel layout. I'd like it better if there was a front dial and back dial. It's also missing one or two other nice control features like a AF/MF switch.
- I'm not completely happy with the lenses. They seem to run from very good to rather uninspiring with some lenses verging on being too big and others being completely missing and unlikely to appear in my lifetime. The lens short comings and omissions are possibly/probably never going to be addressed by Sony.
- No silent mode. This is available with later and much more expensive A6xxx series cameras.
- Limited to a max shutter speed of 1/4000. This may be better with the newer models which have an electronic shutter.

MFT pros.
- Good lens line up. Just about everything is there and some are very good and compact too. I have acceptable to good compact wide aperture lenses at full frame equivalents of 28, 35, 40, 50 and 90mm and an excellent and quite compact 24-70mm equivalent f2.8.
- Good control layout with front and back dials and AF/MF switch.
- Silent mode available.
- A max mechanical shutter speed of 1/8000 is available or if not there's a good auto mechanical to electronic shutter option.

MFT cons.
- Shutter shock with some body and lens combinations. To sell SS affected bodies and lenses as a kit is IMO disgraceful. And no, the electronic shutter isn't a fix all answer as it brings its own issues. This is hopefully cured with the very latest cameras.
- The GX7 (and presumably the GX80 too as I think it's the same) has the worst EVF I've seen on a serious camera. My ancient G1 has a better EVF in good light at least.
- No full time DoF preview and when it is available it's clunky.
- No auto ISO with exposure compensation in all modes.
- Image quality is ok but not up to the APS-C competition if you go to extremes.

And breath.
This post is not helping my GAS that im trying to ignore until at least after my holiday! I'm tempted with an A6000 for similar reasons to supplement my A7II but my head tells me to wait and see if the A6300 reduces in price soon :(

This post is not helping my GAS that im trying to ignore until at least after my holiday! I'm tempted with an A6000 for similar reasons to supplement my A7II but my head tells me to wait and see if the A6300 reduces in price soon :(

I would wait and see, I think Sony will discontinue the A6000 eventually, probably when the A6700 comes out in 8 months time lol :D

Intel Skylake CPU's
Up to 2TB Flash Storage
Butterfly Keyboard
Better battery life
Injection molded hinges
USB3
No SD card slot
No USB ports
masOS

I'm glad I didn't hold out last October when the Skylake MBP was always seemingly days away from launch. Don't know how I'd have coped without it the last year.
Will upgrade eventually, if only for more storage space, but I bought the top end 15" so it'll do me for a bit longer!, no SD Card slot is a bit of a pain though.

So how would one transfer photos from camera to Mac without sd or USB slot?

I suppose there must be an expensive Adaptor available from Apple to get an SD Reader for a USB-C slot.... or the £1.50 adaptor I got from Amazon!

I suppose there must be an expensive Adaptor available from Apple to get an SD Reader for a USB-C slot.... or the £1.50 adaptor I got from Amazon!

I'm hoping it will have a SD slot and USB ports but all reports suggest it won't.
I'm thinking the Sony A9 will go down the xQD route anyway. :)
I'm thinking that Apple my do a refresh next year with Intel Kaby Lake processors and AMD graphics mmmmm :eek:

If there are no SD or (worse) USB ports on the 15 inch model, I will be hanging on to my 2014 MBP for a while yet.

I'm still mourning the loss of built-in Ethernet; the number of times I have realised that I have left the adapter at the office when visiting a site and I need a hard wired connection...

LOL It nice to know you all missing me for a change PMSL though people was getting fed up with my questions ha ha.

Well you got it right I had to back off from buying camera gears the mrs order lol but I am back now

Did anyone else see the MS Surface Studio release video? Looks mint (plus. not a Mac which is a bonus in my eyes!), $3000-4200 but looks incredible as a desktop workstation for art/photo stuff.

Slightly over-long promo video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzMLA8YIgG0

WANT!
(Don't need... but WANT!)

I saw it too and it looks quite neat but for the price no chance... Apple got to do a catch up game now

Did anyone else see the MS Surface Studio release video? Looks mint (plus. not a Mac which is a bonus in my eyes!), $3000-4200 but looks incredible as a desktop workstation for art/photo stuff.

WANT!

I looks good but I just couldn't go back to a Microsoft OS after moving to Apple 6 years ago.
A MacBook Pro is on my list....... the iPad Pro could be a good photo / 4K editing tool IF Adobe made full blown apps for it instead of cut down iOS versions.

I am waiting to see what the A9 going to be.. If not then it be a A7rii but I bet a new one be out soon? Lens wise I need a wide fast prime.

I am waiting to see what the A9 going to be.. If not then it be a A7rii but I bet a new one be out soon? Lens wise I need a wide fast prime.

I got the Zeiss Batis 25mm f2.0 if that's wide enough for you?
Yet to sell it along with my 70-200mm f4 :)
The Sony A9 is going to be a cool £3499 - 3999 :(

WANT!
Wow I agree that looks very nice perhaps a bit more than my iMac though

The new MacBook Pro price a bit damn steep for a 15"

Starts at £2349 ouch

Back