The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Don't do it

I have just too much money sat in the Sony gear, I'm going to do some number crunching to see what it's all worth on the second hand market vs trade in.
Also decide what Fuji gear id be getting to replace it with and see how much I'd actually be banking to see if it's worth it.

I have just too much money sat in the Sony gear, I'm going to do some number crunching to see what it's all worth on the second hand market vs trade in.
Also decide what Fuji gear id be getting to replace it with and see how much I'd actually be banking to see if it's worth it.
Just remember take into account sterling and interest fluctuations over a couple of years time scale you bought at the correct time. Good lens in particular are still good glass down the road your a Sony Guru ask yourself if the next A7 really won't do what you need I can tell you for sure my Canon 5d3 on occasions would refuse or hunt for focus how many wedding shots did you miss

I certainly don't blame you fancying money back though seriously doubt your going to be happy with the step down

Do which makes you happy though :)

FF vs Crop, most customers won't even notice, it's just my pixel peeping which led me down FF and GM lenses.

I'm going to put up all my gear on sale here first. Then it's off to the dealers.

I had Sony A7 with good old legendary glass, now switched to A6300 with crop lenses and I'm better

I had Sony A7 with good old legendary glass, now switched to A6300 with crop lenses and I'm better

In what way better? New lenses better than old film era ones?

To me the old lenses aren't for the best quality I can get, they're for (mostly) good enough quality, the look they give and the joy of using them :D

And on the subject of changing systems...

I think GAS comes into it a lot and there's nothing wrong with that - you're a long time dead - life is short etc :D but I try to cool the gas by remembering that the gear is for taking pictures with as well as looking at and fondling. I have and use MFT more than my A7 but my A7 is still the best camera I've ever had and I will not be changing it for anything else anytime soon. I can understand others changing for features, abilities or just the fun of it... Fill Ya Boots! :D

Other Business...
The Rumor site reports that Zeiss Batis and Loxia sales are compensating for a drop in DSLR lens sales. I have to say that using manual lenses on DSLR's for anything other than close up stuff is IMHO a right royal PITA. I much prefer mirrorless for manual lens use.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/zeis...penstaing-dslr-lens-sales-drop/#disqus_thread

Mate forget fuji. Just spend that extra 500 quid on a nice weekend away somewhere you never been to take pics
One thing for Fuji is that there's plenty of used ones for sale at tempting prices... there's so much Fuji kit for sale here the for sale section might as well be renamed the Fuji Mart.

And a change for this thread.... something not Fuji related :D

I'm tempted by the 50mm f2.8 macro so I've been Googling for reviews but they seem thin on the ground so far. Many reviews are on A6xxx bodies and even worse, video related. The thought that this lens may not be the best for video doesn't seem to have occurred to some or maybe headlines about poor video performance are just click bate. Dunno.

Anyway, I'll wait for more and in depth reviews concerning still image shooting with A7 bodies.

I'm tempted because I like the 28-50mm sort of FoV for walk about and holiday use and as I don't seem to be able to pass a flower or a leaf without taking a picture of it the close focus ability would come in handy for me and I'd be able to fill the frame and avoid cropping. The 50mm view is a little tighter than the 35 but better for close up shooting, so I'll have to think about it.

Honestly dont sell your gear or buy anything else unless you are lacking a super key feature.
I just finish watching the master of photography and although all the images were sensational when printed and shown, many of them were taking it ridiculously high ISO shots where Leica camera's are not a patch over Nikon/SonyFuji.

Point being is that if you was to stop pixel peeping and print your shots taken even with a canon rebel, You will be surprised how well they turn out.

Watch master of photography. Thats a cure to GAS(Temporarily)

Honestly dont sell your gear or buy anything else unless you are lacking a super key feature.
I just finish watching the master of photography and although all the images were sensational when printed and shown, many of them were taking it ridiculously high ISO shots where Leica camera's are not a patch over Nikon/SonyFuji.

Point being is that if you was to stop pixel peeping and print your shots taken even with a canon rebel, You will be surprised how well they turn out.

I know mate, it's doing my head in trying to decide, one minute I'm ready to give it all up then next I'm not. What I might have to do is wait until the Sony A9 comes out.

So I'm em back sorta, I thought an A7ii & 28-70 kit for £1200 was a bargain so snapped it up.
Looking forward to properly trying this out v my X-Pro 2 setup to see what I prefer, honestly think I'll prefer using the Fuji but the output of the Sony.
The only reason reason I'm trying Sony again is because of the X-Trans sensor in the Fuji, its great system, brilliant to use, amazing lenses but I run into too many issues with RAW processing, I'm also contemplating a dual DSLR/Mirrorless setup; having an A7ii body gives me greater options to adapt other gear from a potential DSLR body especially if I were to go back into Sony land or look at Canon.

Gents, I think I will get the 16-35 Sony/Zeiss, the search doesn't offer much help, so, in a naive and simple way, yes or no?
PS: I don't need the 2.8 G master.......

So I'm em back sorta, I thought an A7ii & 28-70 kit for £1200 was a bargain so snapped it up.
Looking forward to properly trying this out v my X-Pro 2 setup to see what I prefer, honestly think I'll prefer using the Fuji but the output of the Sony.
The only reason reason I'm trying Sony again is because of the X-Trans sensor in the Fuji, its great system, brilliant to use, amazing lenses but I run into too many issues with RAW processing, I'm also contemplating a dual DSLR/Mirrorless setup; having an A7ii body gives me greater options to adapt other gear from a potential DSLR body especially if I were to go back into Sony land or look at Canon.
Welcome back

I need to find the post from the last time you left and I said you would be back.

Last edited:

This also one of my reasons, do I really need such a high end system with G Master lenses if I never print or do much with my photos, just got over 20,000 photos sat there in Lightroom.
Going Fuji will see a good few K's may way. Mmmmm

Oh I dunno ufffff mmmm

Last edited:
This also one of my reasons, do I really need such a high end system with G Master lenses if I never print or do much with my photos, just got over 20,000 photos sat there in Lightroom.

Oh I dunno ufffff mmmm
Question why not print some of your images you may enjoy seeing your work

Isn't that the exact reasoning for Rizvan not actually 'needing' the kit he has now? We'd all like to have the best of everything, but kit has reached a point where there is a smaller and smaller difference between mid-range and high-end kit.

For what he shoots, there's probably nothing stopping him getting equally impressive results with crop kit. Saving some money along the way is always nice too!

Question why not print some of your images you may enjoy seeing your work

Always wanted to get a Epson A3 photo printer and start printing but a) don't have the room at the moment and b) struggling to find the time these days as my weekends are spent looking after the baby.

There's quite a few factors including time and the fact my photography has taken a back seat which has got me looking at the Fuji system.

Back in my DSLR days my favourite setup was the D7000, grip and the Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8.

Isn't that the exact reasoning for Rizvan not actually 'needing' the kit he has now? We'd all like to have the best of everything, but kit has reached a point where there is a smaller and smaller difference between mid-range and high-end kit.

For what he shoots, there's probably nothing stopping him getting equally impressive results with crop kit. Saving some money along the way is always nice too!

You've hit the nail on the head, plus there will be a small size advantage with the lenses, lol.

However It's not a easy choice, the G Master lenses are pretty good, but also big and expensive.

I'm sure it's not easy at all! The kit you have at the moment is as good as it gets for Sony so you really have no excuses for not delivering (technically) excellent results :0).

However, 'technically excellent' isn't the same as being the best solution for you as the photographer so you need to figure out what fits your current requirements. At the end of the day it's just kit and the results are what matters, especially if you have a new baby in the house which is way more important than any gadget.

@Rizvan Have you got a credit card? If so, I'd suggest buying a used X-Pro2 with a couple of used lenses and doing a balance transfer onto a 0% card. That gives you loads of time to compare both systems and only pay the minimum repayment each month. If you decide you want to stick with the Sony, you can sell all the Fuji gear for minimal loss (in this market) + the initial 3% balance transfer fee.

Oh I dunno ufffff mmmm
But you already have the Sony. Stick with it unless you need the money for something else?

FFS Wished I never came back on here now LOL after my Lovely break.. I also been thinking of selling up and going Xt 2 argh

FFS Wished I never came back on here now LOL after my Lovely break.. I also been thinking of selling up and going Xt 2 argh

ROFLCOPTER!!! :D Rookies, go back into hibernation, save us all ;)

Always wanted to get a Epson A3 photo printer and start printing but a) don't have the room at the moment and b) struggling to find the time these days as my weekends are spent looking after the baby.

There's quite a few factors including time and the fact my photography has taken a back seat which has got me looking at the Fuji system.

Back in my DSLR days my favourite setup was the D7000, grip and the Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8.

Just a personal opinion, but I wouldn't bother buying a printer. From memory, a 18" x 12" print from DSCL is £1.25. Add some foam board and spray mount = nice image for the wall that can be rotated next month.
I have around 10 images printed a month, so about £12.50 a month. That has to be better value than an A3 printer?

Big fan of doing it this way. My screens are colour calibrated and DSCL have profiles to download for PS. It's part of using my cameras for me, I see the results and love it (sometimes lol). As my Missus is into photography as well, we get to live in an ever changing gallery.

Plus you get a delivery once a month. This is always nice :)

As Wissel says you could print on line the Epson SC-P600 can go in a cupboard if tight on space and the wifi printing is a doddle

By the way if your a recent new dad and fancy a few quid from a gear change who could blame you personally if I was doing that I'd stick with the body and downgrade the lens

I usually have an A3 printer and at the mo it's an Epson R2880. The quality is good but honestly it's like having a high maintenance Italian GF. When it's good it's very good but much of the time it's a freekin nightmare. And it isn't cheap either. Walking into my little print room (the spare bedroom :D) I never know if it's going to be heaven or hell and I would caution anyone looking at an Epson to research it first and go into it prepared to put the time in. The dark print issue was the first thing to hit me and now I never ever trust it, ever. I always do a little thumbnail test print first to check everything is good to go. I'll never have another Epson.

@woofwoof at this rate we need a new thread name something like the 4 musketeers or pre Fuji owners blimey glad I am happy taking and printing pictures ;):banana:

We do seem to meander somewhat. Such is life :D

And while we're going off topic but on the subject of just about any kit being good...

I cleaned my cameras and lenses today and as I always do when I've finished I took test shots and one was out of the window with my MFT GX7 and 17mm f1.8 at f4 and +1.7 exp. comp to try and lift the shadows a bit. The histogram edged off the right but I thought not by so much that it couldn't be brought back. In CS5 I loaded my usual presets, dialled in +70 fill light to boost the room to natural levels and painted the outside world with the adjustment brush -2.67 exposure and -67 brightness. All this took less than 2 minutes and the result is better than anything I got from my Canon 5D.

Today kit isn't a problem :D

Back