The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I'm actually very tempted by a little Olympus set up. Not to replace my Sony gear but as a cheaper lightweight walk around kit. Pen f or em5ii.

Could just be gas though..
The Olympus cameras have the retro looks but I like the modern minimalist Panasonic styling and they're cheaper and give you pretty much identical image quality. I've been impressed with the GX80 at £339 after cashback. It's lightening fast and the shutter is very quiet and there are really just three things wrong with it... the EVF is poor by todays standards, there's no exposure compensation with auto ISO in manual mode and there's no constant DoF preview except in manual mode. The G7 is also worth a look, it too is very fast, it has a very good EVF but lacks the exp comp and DoF preview as per the GX80 and sadly it induces shutter shock with some lenses. Avoid those lenses and it's a very capable little camera. I mostly use the excellent 12-35mm f2.8 on my G7 (no shutter shock with this lens) and Olympus 17mm f1.8 on my GX80.

One downside with the Panasonics seems to be poor resale value. There's been no interest in my bargain priced G1 and GX7 but on the positive side there are bargains for buyers.

My A7 is for quality, indulgence and using manual lenses :D

Just reduced my 55mm to £460 and A6000 to £280 if anyone is interested?

Both include RMSD.
I've thought about moving from MFT to A6000 several times but it would cost me a lot to switch as MFT gear suffers badly at resale if there are any takers at all (there have been no takers at all for some of my kit) plus there are a couple of gaps in the A6xxx lens line up. That's a good price for the A6000 though, good luck with the sale.

Last edited:
I've thought about moving from MFT to A6000 several times but it would cost me a lot to switch as MFT gear suffers badly at resale if there are any takers at all (there have been no takers at all for some of my kit) plus there are a couple of gaps in the A6xxx lens line up. That's a good price for the A6000 though, good luck with the sale.

Alan from your past posts you are rich enough to take the hit ;-)
Write them off the balance sheet and embrace a New Start -
You need some excitement - Get the blood surging into that all new (for you) Sony kit and and end to all that "wonderous" MFT stuff.
Go on Laddie either lengthen those arms or pull your trousers up so they reach that dosh ;-)
:sony:
Jamie

I really would like an A6xxx to partner my A7 but apart from my MFT gear being worth diddly squat another and more important stumbling block is that as yet there's no compact 24mm f1.8 for the A6xxx and no expectation of one anytime soon. That's a killer gap for me. The current lens is by all accounts excellent but it just doesn't fit with my brief for a compact system. There are a couple of alternatives but there are no compact 35mm equivalent f1.8's and a wider f2.8 or a 42mm equivalent f2 just doesn't cut it so I just can't.

And a PS.
I've recently retied for a second time and I have no intention of ever working again. GF will also be leaving the rat race 1st quarter next year should all go to plan and once she retires I'll have even less time to myself so even less reason to spend more on gear, actually we'll be having more holidays so I'll still need a couple of quality compact cameras.

Last edited:
I like having AF lenses to keep the size of the camera and lens down when I want a compact camera and also for speed when I'm out with other people or shooting family occasions. An old 24mm would give a nice FoV on an A6xxx but with an adapter it's the size of the AF 24mm f1.8, hardly compact on an A6xxx, and the manual lens is slow to shoot with when out with family or GF when I don't want to be the geek with the camera slowing everyone up.

Last edited:
I like having AF lenses to keep the size of the camera and lens down when I want a compact camera and also for speed when I'm out with other people or shooting family occasions. An old 24mm would give a nice FoV on an A6xxx but with an adapter it's the size of the AF 24mm f1.8, hardly compact on an A6xxx, and the manual lens is slow to shoot with when out with family or GF when I don't want to be the geek with the camera slowing everyone up.

Sorry to mention the f word but have you considered a Fuji x70. Fits in the pocket. Has a flippy touch screen. Takes filters, good sensor and loaded with all the jpeg film profiles.

I only use 4 lenses on my A6K;

16-50 kit - Good for its' small size and covers general range. Video is good with silent AF.

50/1.8 - Favourite lens. Little long for indoor but fast aperture and AF

Samyang 12mm - Excellent landscape with minimal distortion for such a wide angle. Also very small on the body so easy to walk around with. Takes standard Cokin P adaptors

35/1.7 CCTV lens - Something a bit different. Sharp in the centre and swirly around that.

Sorry to mention the f word but have you considered a Fuji x70. Fits in the pocket. Has a flippy touch screen. Takes filters, good sensor and loaded with all the jpeg film profiles.

Not for a second. I don't want a fixed 28mm and it doesn't have an evf. These are both big turn offs for me. My first mirrorless camera was the evf-less Panasonic GF1 and after a brief honeymoon period I realised that back screen shooting wasn't for me and I'll never buy another even half way serious camera without a vf. Even my compacts have an evf. Good luck to those who like back screen shooting but it's just not for me.

I do occasionally use a very compact standard range variable aperture zoom on my smaller MFT GX7 and GX80 and have the 12-35mm f2.8 pretty much permanently mounted on my G7. A standard range zoom, a fast prime and a macro cover 90+% for me.

Anyway, this is getting further away from the point that the A6xxx is a very nice system but at the moment as it lacks a compact 24mm f1.8 and one or two other things it's just not for me but I do think that a more compact system makes a nice partner to an A7.

Not for a second. I don't want a fixed 28mm and it doesn't have an evf. These are both big turn offs for me. My first mirrorless camera was the evf-less Panasonic GF1 and after a brief honeymoon period I realised that back screen shooting wasn't for me and I'll never buy another even half way serious camera without a vf. Even my compacts have an evf. Good luck to those who like back screen shooting but it's just not for me.

I do occasionally use a very compact standard range variable aperture zoom on my smaller MFT GX7 and GX80 and have the 12-35mm f2.8 pretty much permanently mounted on my G7. A standard range zoom, a fast prime and a macro cover 90+% for me.

Anyway, this is getting further away from the point that the A6xxx is a very nice system but at the moment as it lacks a compact 24mm f1.8 and one or two other things it's just not for me but I do think that a more compact system makes a nice partner to an A7.

You can change it to 35mm or 50mm without any apparent loss of quality. Really versatile little camera.
Good luck with your search

Thanks but there seems to be a bit of confusion as I'm not looking for any new gear. If anything I have too many cameras. I would think about selling my MFT gear and moving to an A6xxx but there are a couple of holes in the A6xxx lens line up (mainly the lack of a compact 24mm f1.8) and just a couple of other little niggles and of course there's the expense as no one likes throwing money away and any change would therefore only happen if I could sell a fair chunk of my MFT gear for a decent price and that isn't going to happen as the market for used Panny kit seems to be flat to non existent.

Thanks but there seems to be a bit of confusion as I'm not looking for any new gear. If anything I have too many cameras. I would think about selling my MFT gear and moving to an A6xxx but there are a couple of holes in the A6xxx lens line up (mainly the lack of a compact 24mm f1.8) and just a couple of other little niggles and of course there's the expense as no one likes throwing money away and any change would therefore only happen if I could sell a fair chunk of my MFT gear for a decent price and that isn't going to happen as the market for used Panny kit seems to be flat to non existent.
I say get rid of the lot and get a Sony A7RII :D
I'd agree with you about the Sony APS-C lens line up... actually saying it has a couple of holes is a understatement!

I say get rid of the lot and get a Sony A7RII :D
I'd agree with you about the Sony APS-C lens line up... actually saying it has a couple of holes is a understatement!

There are just a couple of holes for me and mainly it's the 24mm issue, others may see more holes. I'd also like a silent mode and AFAIK the A6000 doesn't have one so it'd mean more dosh for a newer model but the whole thing stops at a compact 24mm f1.8 not being there.

I would like to slim the gear down but as selling it at anything other than give away prices seems very unlikely I may just pass some kit on to kids in the family if they show any interest when they grow up a bit.

I wouldn't really be interested in getting rid of everything apart from an A7 as I'd have 18-400mm to replace and that would cost megabucks and would come with a bulk and weight penalty too. Being able to afford something and justifying it are different things, as you've found out.

Will be interesting to see what zeiss produce. - 135 f1.8 I'm sure. Will only be a matter of time before sigma and tamron get in on the act too. Exciting times ahead.

Will be interesting to see what zeiss produce. - 135 f1.8 I'm sure. Will only be a matter of time before sigma and tamron get in on the act too. Exciting times ahead.

Sure is, I'm sticking with Fuji GAS for now :D

I suppose it depends on the market being attractive enough. I have no idea how many A7 cameras Sony sell but A7's will be a fraction of the CSC market and isn't the CSC market still a fraction of the DSLR market? For Sigma and Tamron the potential sales may just not add up to being worth the expense and effort.

I suppose it depends on the market being attractive enough. I have no idea how many A7 cameras Sony sell but A7's will be a fraction of the CSC market and isn't the CSC market still a fraction of the DSLR market? For Sigma and Tamron the potential sales may just not add up to being worth the expense and effort.
I would imagine they will take a view regarding future comparative sales Sony A mount vs fe mount i should think the full frame glass elements would be the same so maybe manufacturing new lens bodies might not present substantially more cost.

The bigger question is the long term sustainability of dslr or CSC vs the mobile smartphones, everything seems to be getting miniaturised probably because houses are getting built with smaller square footage.

There's an interesting short article on Luminous Landscape discussing how digital and Sony have moved image quality forward and enabled things not possible before... but note that this is a subscription site and those who haven't coughed up wont be able to view...

https://luminous-landscape.com/emerging-technology-advances-artistic-creativity-part-ii/

"From my perspective, the last 24 months have witnessed camera and lens and introductions from many camera manufacturers that have greatly expanded photographers’ horizons. This is also true of steadily evolving editing software.

One particular reason for this is Sony’s drive to increase image quality (IQ) by making the best (and still affordable) photographic sensors in the world..."

PS.
Reading that article made me want to rush over to Wex and buy an A7RII. But I resisted.

Last edited:
I would imagine they will take a view regarding future comparative sales Sony A mount vs fe mount i should think the full frame glass elements would be the same so maybe manufacturing new lens bodies might not present substantially more cost.

The bigger question is the long term sustainability of dslr or CSC vs the mobile smartphones, everything seems to be getting miniaturised probably because houses are getting built with smaller square footage.

Reminds me of the old joke about a miniaturisation business being so successful they've moved to smaller premises :D

I've no idea what will happen to the industry but I'd expect mirrorless to one day be the norm. I also expect to see the trend towards the higher end pricing continue.

Reminds me of the old joke about a miniaturisation business being so successful they've moved to smaller premises :D

I've no idea what will happen to the industry but I'd expect mirrorless to one day be the norm. I also expect to see the trend towards the higher end pricing continue.
:D

Was it from the old tv series land of the giants ;)

Re rushing to Wex its lucky you are so strong willed bet your wallet was breaking into panic

Yesterday I was looking at UHD TVs in currys then as they are close together I looked at sound bars and surround speaker sets the entire set would fit in one of my present speakers the TV sets are very thin UHD disk players are very light and look like a breeze would bend them so the make it small mentality crosses most tech items

What is curious was things like freezers or ovens are larger outside and smaller capacity for A+ energy rating bet as a car lover you may have noticed that with electric cars the load space looks smaller so the batteries fit.

I really love tech hate how often they don't work as said on the tin as an older tech lover I am dreading working out the internet of things.

My first SLR was I think a Zenit that was simple and I never worried about glass or pixel count I used my legs for adjusting my composition mind my film printing cost sharp had me drop out

Does the ring you have bought for the GF have an internal tracking chip in case you get separated handy if you have a smart phone :)

Happy days

We've had a couple of frosty, misty, drizzly days here. No point even starting to think about taking pictures outdoors really. I have any number of pictures taken on days like todays and don't need a single one more.

We've had a couple of frosty, misty, drizzly days here. No point even starting to think about taking pictures outdoors really. I have any number of pictures taken on days like todays and don't need a single one more.
Yeah, its been rather poor here also... really poor actually. :(

There's always indoor shooting... but we're not doing anything this evening.

Apart from playing with the camera indoors, I've not done anything since the shoot a week or so ago. Always find when I'm not shooting the GAS starts to creep in. Must go out again!!

Apart from playing with the camera indoors, I've not done anything since the shoot a week or so ago. Always find when I'm not shooting the GAS starts to creep in. Must go out again!!

Tell me about it, currently looking at my next GAS Fuji attack for 2017!! :D

Tell me about it, currently looking at my next GAS Fuji attack for 2017!! :D
Guys come on this GAS must slow down some of us are easily pulled in the spend direction ;)

Now that party season is upon us it's proving hard to get free time. Although a mate and I have agreed to do a Xmas pub crawl/photo walk around Covent Garden in a couple of weeks

Back