The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

A comment from another forum which seems quite apt.....

"There is one incredible benefit of a pro-camera-taken-everywhere that is not mentioned here ie. the internet. It is the case that pontificating in comments demands a high pedestal that pro-cameras only offer as credentials to the pontificator".

Would that be a post from someone who secretly wants an A9 but can't afford one? :D

EISA awards, Sony get loads :D but looking at the categories they seem to be designed to give everyone at least one.

Read it here...

https://www.eisa.eu/awards/photography/

Was at a wedding last weekend (little bit of uncle-bobbing) and the (very nice) pro-tog was shooting with 2x R2's. Had a chat and found out the massive beast of a lens I took to be an 85mm was the 35mm f/1.4 GM! I didn't realise quite how big and heavy it is. it's massive!
She also had the 85mm Batis which I now just want. It's soooo light compared to the GM. Also had the 28mm Batis which and 24 batteries :D

Who knows, maybe from someone who actually knows how to use a camera and not just quote specs. and reviews!.......LINK

That's an excellent article and speaks volumes about the quality available to all photographers now for such comparatively little outlay. At the end of the day, the result is what matters, not what it was shot with (assuming it's the right kit for the job).

Was at a wedding last weekend (little bit of uncle-bobbing) and the (very nice) pro-tog was shooting with 2x R2's. Had a chat and found out the massive beast of a lens I took to be an 85mm was the 35mm f/1.4 GM! I didn't realise quite how big and heavy it is. it's massive!
She also had the 85mm Batis which I now just want. It's soooo light compared to the GM. Also had the 28mm Batis which and 24 batteries :D

was it the zeiss 35mm f1.4?

24 batteries :confused: I'm taking 8 for the wedding I'm shooting on saturday. i average about 400 shots per battery so was hoping that would be overkill anyway.

Don't worry the year isn't out yet.... plenty more fanboy comments to come :D lol
But on a serious note, why funny as its true and fact..... no DSLR can do what the A9 does.

A few key features....
Silent shutter
20fps
Blackout free OVF/EVF

Genuine question Riz. Have you actually shot the A9 in situations where OVF/EVF blackout for the duration of the exposure has caused you to miss a shot?

The silent shutter is useful in some situations (I've shot in silent churches so feel that pain!) and the 20fps is a good headline but again, unless you're shooting animations, are most people, including pros, going to get by with 'only' 12fps for example by simply reading their subjects better and anticipating?

I understand that the A9 is a massive step in terms of mirrorless systems, which are still playing catch up to the AF performance that most DSLRs have had for 10 years, but I'm not sure yet if the A9 is really going to begin the end of DSLRs.

was it the zeiss 35mm f1.4?

24 batteries :confused: I'm taking 8 for the wedding I'm shooting on saturday. i average about 400 shots per battery so was hoping that would be overkill anyway.

Nah - Sony GM... Huge and heavy thing. Thinking about it, not any bigger than my old Sigma Art 35 1.4, but still - compared to me 35mm f/2.8 seemed really unweildy. 24 did seem extreme, but it was two bodies...

Nah - Sony GM... Huge and heavy thing. Thinking about it, not any bigger than my old Sigma Art 35 1.4, but still - compared to me 35mm f/2.8 seemed really unweildy. 24 did seem extreme, but it was two bodies...

i didn't realise there was a 35mm g master.

Even 12 batteries per body sounds nuts. I haven't shot my A7 at a wedding yet but when I used my A6000 I only used 1.5 batteries for a whole day! Wonder how many shots she was planning to take across the two bodies?

Who knows, maybe from someone who actually knows how to use a camera and not just quote specs.and reviews!.......LINK

That's an excellent article and speaks volumes about the quality available to all photographers now for such comparatively little outlay. At the end of the day, the result is what matters, not what it was shot with (assuming it's the right kit for the job).

Excellent? Maybe not actually a boring article but maybe only mildly interesting. Maybe it's just me but a spec sheet might actually be more interesting.

Last edited:
Excellent? Maybe not actually a boring article but maybe only mildly interesting. Maybe it's just me but a spec sheet might actually be more interesting.

Why? Because he doesn't fawn over kit or covet a 'pro' body to justify his work or, possibly, cover his abilities?

For me, the article was well written and gave examples where choosing the right kit for the job (light tripod, etc, not just the camera) is better than simply opening the cheque book to buy the most expensive shiny gear because it makes him 'look' like a pro. At the end of the day, he has images from an RX100 published in a magazine across an article, if that isn't the definition of a professional photographer I'm not sure what is?

Last edited:
Who knows, maybe from someone who actually knows how to use a camera and not just quote specs. and reviews!.......LINK

Like me... ive put the a9 through its paces!

Genuine question Riz. Have you actually shot the A9 in situations where OVF/EVF blackout for the duration of the exposure has caused you to miss a shot?

The silent shutter is useful in some situations (I've shot in silent churches so feel that pain!) and the 20fps is a good headline but again, unless you're shooting animations, are most people, including pros, going to get by with 'only' 12fps for example by simply reading their subjects better and anticipating?

I understand that the A9 is a massive step in terms of mirrorless systems, which are still playing catch up to the AF performance that most DSLRs have had for 10 years, but I'm not sure yet if the A9 is really going to begin the end of DSLRs.

Check my pics and experience. Maybe i should write a mini review? Ive shot 1 f1 weekend race and Athletics.

i didn't realise there was a 35mm g master.

There is none. its a Zeiss sony branded one.

Like me... ive put the a9 through its paces!

Check my pics and experience. Maybe i should write a mini review? Ive shot 1 f1 weekend race and Athletics.

There is none. its a Zeiss sony branded one.

and you couldn't have got those shots with your dslr? I'm sure you would have done ok

Why? Because he doesn't fawn over kit or covet a 'pro' body to justify his work or, possibly, cover his abilities?

For me, the article was well written and gave examples where choosing the right kit for the job (light tripod, etc, not just the camera) is better than simply opening the cheque book to buy the most expensive shiny gear because it makes him 'look' like a pro. At the end of the day, he has images from an RX100 published in a magazine across an article, if that isn't the definition of a professional photographer I'm not sure what is?
It also goes to show u lot should be owning multiple cameras and systems as not one camera does it all :)

Why? Because he doesn't fawn over kit or covet a 'pro' body to justify his work or, possibly, cover his abiliteis?

For me, the article was well written and gave examples where choosing the right kit for the job (light tripod, etc, not just the camera) is better than simply opening the cheque book to buy the most expensive shiny gear because it makes him look like a pro. At the end of the day, he has images from an RX100 published in a magazine across an article, if that isn't the definition of a professional photographer I'm not sure what is?

I don't exactly open my wallet much either :D I just don't think the article said anything exciting or new. IMO just a mildly interesting read like a 100 others on the same subject and nothing more. Yes, we should all know by now that anything from a higher end compact though 1", MFT, APS-C and up can be used (by people who know what they're doing) to take good pictures, even an iPhone can if you avoid attempting to take shots that'll be too much for it.

Maybe I'm in for a cynical day. I'll have a cup of tea and head off out and enjoy the sun.

I don't exactly open my wallet much either :D I just don't think the article said anything exciting or new. IMO just a mildly interesting read like a 100 others on the same subject and nothing more. Yes, we should all know by now that anything from a higher end compact though 1", MFT, APS-C and up can be used (by people who know what they're doing) to take good pictures, even an iPhone can if you avoid attempting to take shots that'll be too much for it.

Maybe I'm in for a cynical day. I'll have a cup of tea and head off out and enjoy the sun.

i think the article is timed well. as soon as new gear releases or is rumoured - much of the community seem to forget that their gear is already more than good enough for the job they do

I agree it didn't say anything that hasn't been said before (including by me!) but it at least gives examples and shows the benefits. It's not as if it's just someone who secretly wants an A9 but can't afford one? ;)

i think the article is timed well. as soon as new gear releases or is rumoured - much of the community seem to forget that their gear is already more than good enough for the job they do

I like reading about new gear and although I hardly ever buy it one day I might :D as there's usually room for improvement. I'll probably always have three cameras as they do different things... A7 for quality and the luxury of old lenses at their intended FoV, MFT for speed and a smaller package and a compact for when even MFT is too much.

I like my A7 and quality wise it's the best camera I've ever had and it allows me to easily use old lenses but an electronic shutter would be nice and I'm warming to the idea of a focus joystick so I might buy an A7x at some point if it has an electronic shutter and a joystick.

My GX7 is a lovely camera but when used with some lenses it induces shutter shock and with the electronic shutter I'm limited to ISO 3200 and the EVF is ho hum.

My GX80 fixes the shutter shock but it loses the tilting EVF and the one it has is the same as the one on the GX7, ho hum, it also loses the physical AF/MF/AEL switch.

Combining the best features from those two cameras and fitting a better EVF would make an almost perfect sub FF camera.

My 1" Panny is ok but it's a bit soft wide open and the aperture range isn't anything special. There are a couple of control / handling niggles too. I may consider swapping it for a shorter range zoom camera with a wider aperture if it handles better.

PS. I was joking about the author (or was it someone else) wanting an A9.

Last edited:
I never used it on the 70-200 F4 I hired for the last wedding I shot but is it different to just half pressing the shutter button or back button focus?

I still use the back button focus. Nothing to do with that. I can set the focus hold button to eye-AF. That's means with one finger I can use the normal focusing and with finger in my other hand I can eye-AF. Makes life that little bit easier. Otherwise I have to swap between buttons for AF and eye-AF. But small things do make a nice difference

A7rii and MC11 35 ART, at first seems alright... but the focus confirmation shows before its locked focused.... so it 'confirms' then micro adjusts till it actually achieves focus. This is not nearly native speed and MILES off the D750 performance, after what everyone said about this combination I'm really disappointed.

Last edited:
Did you read the linked article Jonney?
Yea just did. Good article but a a7 with a 28mm prime would have done the job too and weigh just a tiny bit more than his rx camera.

Mirrorless is awsome and that's the beauty of Sony ones. I cam travel like he did on my a9 shooting travel photography and I can use the exact same camera and cover a sports event with battery grip and a large tele lens.

5d4 may be up for sale soon. Let's see

A7rii and MC11 35 ART, at first seems alright... but the focus confirmation shows before its locked focused.... so it 'confirms' then micro adjusts till it actually achieves focus. This is not nearly native speed and MILES off the D750 performance, after what everyone said about this combination I'm really disappointed.
It's near native to me and I even posted videos showing it. Metabones adapter I use

I don't think anyone here would argue with the fact that the RX100 (whichever version) is a great little camera, capable of producing high quality images.

And for the author, where small are light are key requirements, it makes sense.

But I doubt we'll see many used buy pro photographers on the sidelines of the Football World Cup, or other major sporting events, where the need for long lenses and fast accurate tracking AF are the main requirements.

One thing is clear, as the various manufacturers continue to develop increasingly capable cameras at the top end, many of the new features will filter down to the lower end in time - so the headline specs of the A9 may come at a huge premium now, but a lot are 'simply' down to the electronics, and in 5 years time may be things that are available on a significantly cheaper camera.

Yea just did. Good article but a a7 with a 28mm prime would have done the job too and weigh just a tiny bit more than his rx camera.

Mirrorless is awsome and that's the beauty of Sony ones. I cam travel like he did on my a9 shooting travel photography and I can use the exact same camera and cover a sports event with battery grip and a large tele lens.

5d4 may be up for sale soon. Let's see

Fair point about the weight but I guess the article was also saying that you don't need FF to deliver professional images for publication, regardless of any weight benefits.

I agree that mirrorless is a great concept and and enjoying my A7.

I don't think anyone here would argue with the fact that the RX100 (whichever version) is a great little camera, capable of producing high quality images.

But I doubt we'll see many used buy pro photographers on the sidelines of the Football World Cup, or other major sporting events, where the need for long lenses and fast accurate tracking AF are the main requirements.

One thing is clear, as the various manufacturers continue to develop increasingly capable cameras at the top end, many of the new features will filter down to the lower end in time - so the headline specs of the A9 may come at a huge premium now, but a lot are 'simply' down to the electronics, and in 5 years time may be things that are available on a significantly cheaper camera.
Yea in 5 years time a a7 entry level camera will have no blackout. To me that's a game changer

As I said, "choosing the right kit for the job"

For me it is. Not sure what's happening

As I've said many times, i find the mc11 and 35mm art excellent. but in lower light it doesn't perform as consistently in lower light. same with metabones and canon.
having said that I've not tried with an a9 yet :)

Lol, Id packed it up in the box already I was so annoyed.... gave it one last chance. Will test some more today and hopefully keep the setup as I paid top (new UK) money for it.

you didn't open it up to f1.4? shame on you sir

MC-11 is not necessarily always faster or better with supported lenses (which I know kinda contradicts the point of that adapter).
It emulates native lens without the option of turning off native emulation and making it work like metabones or an unsupported lens.
So sometimes lenses actually focus faster with metabones with only basic PDAF i.e. no native emulation than native emulation of the mc-11 adapter since these lenses are designed for DSLR pdaf modules and not really hybrid AF as in Sony bodies.

Last edited:
Expecting an A6500 to be delivered tomorrow! Really wanted, or rather lusted after an A7r2 but weight and size really put me off. Lugging a big camera over mountains just isn't for me.

As you were.

Back