The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

No, opinions are fine and funnies are fine too but the you could do better with a superzoom stuff isn't funny it's just BS from someone who's come off in those posts as a weird troll. Sorry but you did ask :D

And no I don't get all warm inside at the thought of Sony as I've owned gear from quite a few manufacturers and I really couldn't give a flying who makes what. That's more BS you could replace with new material :D

First of all I did not say I could do better with a super zoom. I said it didnt show the true ability o the A9. You, as usual, have read it in your inimitable, I know best manner and proceeded accordingly.

As for trolling, I don't think you actually know what it means. You just don't like anyone else's opinion if it differs from yours.

*comment removed by moderator*

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all I did not say I could do better with a super zoom. I said it didnt show the true ability o the A9. You, as usual, have read it in your inimitable, I know best manner and proceeded accordingly.

As for trolling, I don't think you actually know what it means. You just don't like anyone else's opinion if it differs from yours.

Calm down.

Last edited by a moderator:
The card can afford a 24-70mm f4, it's the f2.8 that would break it. I'll see how I do with just the 50mm for the moment. The perfect focal length for what I'm doing seems to be 60mm and I'd have gone back to Nikon for its 60mm Micro Nikkor if I didn't have a large investment in Sony flashes and batteries. I might also hang on to my 16-70mm f4 for the moment and use the 7r in crop mode although that seems like a waste of its capabilities.

First of all I did not say I could do better with a super zoom. I said it didnt show the true ability of the A9.
To be honest any decent FE lens will show the true ability of the Sony A9, the GM lenses more so.
The Sony A9 even helps with the slower AF lenses like the 85mm f1.4 GM as the AF is snappier compared to the previous bodies.

Depends on what you shoot. They both have very similar rendering and are both very very sharp.

Yeah, I never really got on with 85 that well in the past but 55 is very close to my 35 1.4 so I'm a bit undecided. I have much more space now so 85 could work though.

On A7RII you can basically get close enough to FE55 using APS-C crop mode with your 35mm/1.4 (53mm f/2 @18mp).
With 85mm f1.8 you can get 130mm f2.8 equivalent with crop mode which is nice too.

Last edited:
Looking at some of your shots and the static tabletop requirement, I wouldn't rule out using the 28-70 kit lens before you try it.
Thanks for that suggestion, Steve. You could well be right, looking at the reviews, and there are a few used ones around so not too much spent if I don't like it.

I've not used the new 85mm f1.8 but it's supposed to be great value vs performance.
The 55mm f1.8 is stellar. :)

It's amazing. Both are.

I had a brief chance to play with the 85 1.4 GM in the same church alongside my 85 1.8. Shooting the same subject, I was surprised to find the GM was actually noticeably slower and struggled to focus whereas the 1.8 had no issues at all. I honestly couldn't see any difference between the two images. So whilst it wasn't a scientific test in controlled conditions. It was enough to make me realise I'll keep the 1.8 and there's no need for me to get the 1.4 GM

I've had a play this afternoon with the A6500 and declare it absolutely lovely :) At least for stills which is more my thing than video. The Leica Tele-elmar 135mm (old thing but it was affordable and also superb on a tripod but variable handheld at any shutter speed) was promptly stuck on the front and I wandered around snapping things to see how much the SteadyShot helped. Conclusion was it has brought the old lens alive. Handheld indoors is good. Outdoors in sunshine is easy peasy. I've programmed c1 to do manual focus zoom, and c2 to set SS focal length. C1 and c2 are a little awkward to get to as they are on the main body not the grip/shutter release area, but I'm getting used to shifting my finger over to stab it. ISO 1600 is better than the A6000 but I wouldn't like to quantify it. Sure you can find stuff on line for the detail. As per the spec it's a little bit bigger, about 2mm or so in the main body thickness, and a bit heavier than the A6000. Otherwise it's a camera it takes lovely photos. And it fits in my rucksack side pocket even with the 25, 35 or 90mm on it. So big win for me.

Jessie

*comment removed by moderator*

I like opinions and I like jokes. If you have any good ones I'll be overjoyed.

Will everyone please stop posting photos of new equipment, having just switched systems my credit card has taken somewhat of a battering (Don't tell the wife as she thinks it was all a straight swap ;) )

Do what I do and buy cheap old lenses :D They cost next to nothing, they're lovely to use (if you have the time to MF or you like shooting hyperfocal/zone) and of course you have the joy of little parcels coming to your home :D

Don't worry she won't notice as long as you are feeding her and the kids :D

"She wont notice" reminds me of an ex of mine who couldn't tell one car from another. I remember her standing back and studying and trying to see the differences between a Porsche Boxster and a Merc saloon. Actually before she stood back and looked her first question was "Those are different cars?" She was of course gorgeous so none of that mattered :D

Mrs Woof Woof doesn't seem to notice that I have different cameras and lenses.

Just a quick thought on cost... In another threat a guy has just bought some expensive Leica kit and good luck to him :D but it's way beyond anything I'd ever ever ever spend and actually makes me feel all warm an fuzzy about how I'm keeping my Sony and MFT costs down :D

Just a quick thought on cost... In another threat a guy has just bought some expensive Leica kit and good luck to him :D but it's way beyond anything I'd ever ever ever spend and actually makes me feel all warm an fuzzy about how I'm keeping my Sony and MFT costs down :D
I think i know who lol but each to their own. I don't begrudge anyone's purchase. Wrong way to live life

I like to think that buying a Sony body and old Leica or (new/old) Zeiss lenses I'm getting the best bang for my dosh! Plus I seem to prefer using manual lenses. I'm sure Leica bodies are fab especially their full-frame sensor in a body the size of an A6000. Not something I could ever justify splashing out on tho.

One thing with some Leica's is they're pretty much the only choice... if you want to shoot (for example) at f1.4 and 24mm with a manual lens and a largely manual camera that feels like an old manual camera and lens combo with very good build the choice is pretty limited and I can see the appeal. But I'm just too tight :D When I have RF's they were cheaper, Canon and Voigtlander.

"She wont notice" reminds me of an ex of mine who couldn't tell one car from another. I remember her standing back and studying and trying to see the differences between a Porsche Boxster and a Merc saloon. Actually before she stood back and looked her first question was "Those are different cars?" She was of course gorgeous so none of that mattered :D

Mrs Woof Woof doesn't seem to notice that I have different cameras and lenses.

Gorgeous is in the eye of the beholder ;)

I think original A7 cameras looked nice but many people disagree.
But of course my Mrs is the most gorgeous in the world :D

I originally thought the A7 looked almost home made but I've come to like it.

Back