The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

A question and a challenge!

Come on Gaz, take pictures like that with a bridge camera! :D

I havent got a bridge camera but point I'm making is that I read all about how brilliant it is but the examples of images posted don't show anything that makes me think I would struggle to shoot that with one of my cameras. They could have been shot with many cameras with a decent lens. Now if it was a sequence of a Ferrari GP car coming towards the camera with every frame pin sharp then that would impress me.

Usain Bolt giving someone a hug as a demonstration of how good the camera is. Come on!!!!

I havent got a bridge camera but point I'm making is that I read all about how brilliant it is but the examples of images posted don't show anything that makes me think I would struggle to shoot that with one of my cameras. They could have been shot with many cameras with a decent lens. Now if it was a sequence of a Ferrari GP car coming towards the camera with every frame pin sharp then that would impress me.

Usain Bolt giving someone a hug as a demonstration of how good the camera is. Come on!!!!
I've got f1 cars of similar situations. All pin sharp and that's using metabones with canon glass

Does the A9 eliminate shutter black out? Not really read in to it! Not that I can ever afford one, just interested to know!

But I doubt we'll see many used buy pro photographers on the sidelines of the Football World Cup, or other major sporting events, where the need for long lenses and fast accurate tracking AF are the main requirements.

The author says this if you read it. It's horses for courses. For this he knew he could get away with the pocket camera. If he was shooting downhill skiiing he'd use something different.

tracked this runner running from underneath a bridge towards me and back out. Could have easily switched af to the other runners or lose focus from coming out of the tunnel etc but it diddnt

iaaf-london-marathon-pt2-111.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

on the same scene i walked under that same bridge and saw another runner and tracked her coming towards me and hen running past me. tracked and all shots where in focus

iaaf-london-marathon-pt2-252.jpg by Jon Richy, on Flickr

the above is one i picked out of the bunch.

Last edited:
Expecting an A6500 to be delivered tomorrow! Really wanted, or rather lusted after an A7r2 but weight and size really put me off. Lugging a big camera over mountains just isn't for me.

As you were.

I've always fancied an A6xxx camera so I'll look forward to a full report! :D

I don't have a bridge camera either but I do have a 1" compact which I think is the sort of sensor that bridge cameras use and although it's ok if you go looking for the image quality differences between it and my lowly A7 they're there to seen even in good light at low ISO's and of course as the light drops and the ISO rises the differences will be more obvious. And then there's print / image size and dynamic range before we even get into stuff like focus acquisition and tracking and the quality of the EVF and frames per second and handling and all of the stuff that needs to be considered.

Usain Bolt getting huggy may not float your boat but can you think of another camera that'll get you that shot with that quality and offer the other stuff that an A9 offers? Especially the frames per second and silent shutter? Usain Bolt getting huggy is just one string to its bow :D

I'm just a hobbyist and if I wasn't such a tight arse I'd have an A9 :D not because it'll improve my photography but because of the joystick, the focus performance, the electronic shutter and all the rest. We've each just got to make our own minds up what matters and what's worth our dosh and if for example you want image quality that can be compared to any mass market camera of FF or less or maybe even a little more and you want silent shooting and / or massive frames per second I'm sure that an A9 is a very nice thing :D But then talk is cheap and your repost could be that a bridge camera is perfectly adequate :D

Genuine question Riz. Have you actually shot the A9 in situations where OVF/EVF blackout for the duration of the exposure has caused you to miss a shot?

The silent shutter is useful in some situations (I've shot in silent churches so feel that pain!) and the 20fps is a good headline but again, unless you're shooting animations, are most people, including pros, going to get by with 'only' 12fps for example by simply reading their subjects better and anticipating?

I understand that the A9 is a massive step in terms of mirrorless systems, which are still playing catch up to the AF performance that most DSLRs have had for 10 years, but I'm not sure yet if the A9 is really going to begin the end of DSLRs.

It's probably rare for me to have missed shot(s) due to limited FPS,l or OVF/EVF blackouts but it does happen, for example the buffer limitation on the Sony A7RII was clearly something I hit during a wedding I shot. Yes you can work around certain limitations on any camera body but having less limitations will allow you focus on the task at hand.

For me the zero black out just adds to the benefits to EVF technology, on a traditional body you never get to see the actual moment you take the photo due to the blackout.
I doubt I could ever go back to a blackout OVF/EVF.

I see very little advantages in DSLR's now the Sony has proven what can be done.... :)

It's probably rare for me to have missed shot(s) due to limited FPS,l or OVF/EVF blackouts but it does happen, for example the buffer limitation on the Sony A7RII was clearly something I hit during a wedding I shot. Yes you can work around certain limitations on any camera body but having less limitations will allow you focus on the task at hand.

For me the zero black out just adds to the benefits to EVF technology, on a traditional body you never get to see the actual moment you take the photo due to the blackout.

I see very little advantages in DSLR's now the Sony has proven what can be done.... :)

I haven't tried an A9 yet but when shooting longer exposures do you still not have any blackout? That is, shooting at 1/1000th of a second (for example) I'd be surprised if you could register what you actually miss apart from the psychological effect of seeing a black EVF/OVF for 1/1000th of a second. However, what happens if you shoot at say 2 seconds for a long exposure? Does the viewfinder continue to display while the image is captured (I'm guessing it does)?

I'm still waiting to hit the buffer on my A7 but I haven't put it through a situation that needs machine gunning yet so I'll wait and see.

I haven't tried an A9 yet but when shooting longer exposures do you still not have any blackout? That is, shooting at 1/1000th of a second (for example) I'd be surprised if you could register what you actually miss apart from the psychological effect of seeing a black EVF/OVF for 1/1000th of a second. However, what happens if you shoot at say 2 seconds for a long exposure? Does the viewfinder continue to display while the image is captured (I'm guessing it does)?

I'm still waiting to hit the buffer on my A7 but I haven't put it through a situation that needs machine gunning yet so I'll wait and see.
A7R2 is a whole different camera. Buffer rate is very poor

ive put the a9 through its paces!
rofl.gif

Like me... ive put the a9 through its paces!
Maybe i should write a mini review?

That's a really good idea.

Make sure you mention the possible over heating, reduced frame rate with adaptors, uncompressed RAW and pee poor rate with flash, no e shutter flash sync. I'm sure there's more.

All joking aside I would much prefer to read something from someone on here than listen to you tube crap which seems to be done to promote the reviewers as some sort of personality as much as the camera and who talk as if you are thick.

Yup which is my point. Plus riz was speaking about the a7r2 buffer compared to the A9 he now has

Its not as bad as I initially thought, I fired off 23 RAW shots at full fps without slowdown and then it buffered for a few secs, pretty good considering file size. Not often Ill shoot that many in a row, faster fps is probably more handy. That's a lot of data, cropping is nuts with this cam.

Last edited:
Its not as bad as I initially thought, I fired off 23 RAW shots at full fps without slowdown and then it buffered for a few secs, pretty good considering file size. Not often Ill shoot that many in a row, faster fps is probably more handy. That's a lot of data, cropping is nuts with this cam.
Uncompressed raw?

Make sure you mention the possible over heating, reduced frame rate with adaptors, uncompressed RAW and pee poor rate with flash, no e shutter flash sync. I'm sure there's more.

All joking aside I would much prefer to read something from someone on here than listen to you tube crap which seems to be done to promote the reviewers as some sort of personality as much as the camera and who talk as if you are thick.
Well I'm off next week abroad and will put the camera through its pace as a travel camera
I've actually already done a studio shoot with it and did not notice the lag time. I have also never shot in burst mode in studio. My strobes won't cope anyway. Not many can cope with 5fps shooting let alone 20!

Also many people who use a camera for studio don't use a sports camera. People use stuff like high mp camera for studio work and they can barely shoot continues long at 5fps.

Only a very specific studio scenario where you need to capture more than 10fps with strobe(which strobe can shoot 10fps without overheating?).

Overhaul I've covered a lot of scenarios with the A9 over the last few months.not bad actually.

Last edited:
Uncompressed raw?

Compressed 23-24, uncompressed 12-13, not the fastest card . I used to shoot lossless with D750. Where I need the uncompressed IQ and absolute latitude Id probs not need a big buffer but we'll see how it goes, no issue retouching 200+ images so far but will do some silly 5 stop pushes and see what happens.

Id prefer a faster fps than bigger buffer though. Primarily using a 35mm probably makes the larger MPs more useful than either though. I also used the APSC 50 1.8 while waiting for the ART and got some nice stuff, good cheap lens.

I updated the MC11 from 1.00 to latest and have seen an improvement in AF again so that's pretty cool.

Just random thoughts as I go along.

A9 is pretty sweet tbh, even the price is good, be better if the lenses came down a bit though to keep it (more) competitive.

All joking aside...

You need some new material.

I've just bought a new old lens :D

I had one of these before but gave it to one of my sisters who probably never used it. I'll post some pictures taken with it next week :D assuming it arrives and is as described.

All these positive Sony comments. I'm wondering if your account has been hacked.

Ha, ive always liked sony and I'm remaining optimistic (issues with every brand and sony made some odd decisions along the way), it's when the light goes that the issues may arise. I love the a5100 and a6000 for different reasons.

I've had the dynax/ a580/a55/a68/a77/nex3/c3/5/6/a5000/a5100/a6000/a7/a7rii. Not really a fanboy ;)

Last edited:
Aargh! I'm doomed (definitely if my wife finds out). I've just bought a new A7r to replace my A6300. Now I have to decide what lens I need - it's going to spend most of its time on a tripod doing semi-close-up tabletop stuff. I tend to use around 60mm so a 24-70mm would probably do but is the f4 ZA good enough? I see a lot of conflicting reports, just like the 16-70mm f4. Unfortunately the f2.8 versions are out of my reach. The 55mm f1.8 is tempting but I need a small amount of zoom range.

Aargh! I'm doomed (definitely if my wife finds out). I've just bought a new A7r to replace my A6300. Now I have to decide what lens I need - it's going to spend most of its time on a tripod doing semi-close-up tabletop stuff. I tend to use around 60mm so a 24-70mm would probably do but is the f4 ZA good enough? I see a lot of conflicting reports, just like the 16-70mm f4. Unfortunately the f2.8 versions are out of my reach. The 55mm f1.8 is tempting but I need a small amount of zoom range.

How about a film era manual macro, something around 50/80/100mm? That should keep the costs down and MF shouldn't be a problem.

Price is the sticking point for me. The A9 sounds great, but it's not something I can afford now or anytime in the future especially when you need lenses too!

The future for me is still DSLR until the tech from the A9 (especially no black out) moves in to cheaper bodies. At that point I might make the jump to mirrorless.

Price is the sticking point for me. The A9 sounds great, but it's not something I can afford now or anytime in the future especially when you need lenses too!

The future for me is still DSLR until the tech from the A9 (especially no black out) moves in to cheaper bodies. At that point I might make the jump to mirrorless.

A fair bit of it should filter down very soon, so you won't have to wait too long

How about a film era manual macro, something around 50/80/100mm? That should keep the costs down and MF shouldn't be a problem.
Err, no thanks. I had a manual everything SLR 45 years ago and see no need to return to that. I've already got an FE 50mm f1.8 and an EF Sigma 105mm (and MC-11) but what I need is that bit of flexibility in-between.

I grabbed an hour tonight to test my A7 and OM Zuiko 24mm 2.8. I used a 2-stop grad to put some life into the sky and am happy with the outcome. Slightly heavy editing to counteract the less than perfect light!

I need to go back out on an evening with better light but am happy with my test. I also shot a roll of medium format Ilford PanF 50 in my Yashica TLR at the same time so it will be interesting to compare results.

This almost sums me up too. I recently sold my 5D3 for the A7R2 because I wanted something a little smaller, with better DR and better crop ability. My plan had been to keep my longer Canon Lenses and use adapted for now and probably get a Canon 7Dii for shooting motorsport again next year. However I am loving my A7 that much I am slowly swapping out my lenses for native, up to now I have a Sigma 35 Art, Canon 70-200 f4 LIS & Sigma 120-300 Sport. I can see the 70-200 going in the near future to make way for the Sony equivalent, just leaving my 2 Sigmas, which will be a harder decision although the Sony 100-400 GM looks attractive :)

As to the A9, with everything Ive experienced and heard so far, I would love one, however I just cant justify dropping £4 1/2k on a camera body

I've just received the Godox TT350s. Initial impressions are very good. I looked at the Nissin and almost got it, however I like to play around with Off-Camera Flash, so ended up choosing the Godox, due to the ability to add the X1s Transmitter and use it with other larger Godox lights
Chris...how are you getting on with the 350s ? Hugely tempted by their small size

Err, no thanks. I had a manual everything SLR 45 years ago and see no need to return to that. I've already got an FE 50mm f1.8 and an EF Sigma 105mm (and MC-11) but what I need is that bit of flexibility in-between.
Then you're going to have to get your credit card out especially if you need a bit of zoom but surely if you're shooting static objects you can position your camera and / or do minor crops? Or get your money out :D

Why. Because I've got a different opinion from people like you who get all warm inside whenever you see the Sony name?
No, opinions are fine and funnies are fine too but the you could do better with a superzoom stuff isn't funny it's just BS from someone who's come off in those posts as a weird troll. Sorry but you did ask :D

And no I don't get all warm inside at the thought of Sony as I've owned gear from quite a few manufacturers and I really couldn't give a flying who makes what. That's more BS you could replace with new material :D

Last edited:

Looking at some of your shots and the static tabletop requirement, I wouldn't rule out using the 28-70 kit lens before you try it.

Back