The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Welcome to the concept of humor.

I know this will be a strange and worrying experience but try and embrace it.

Hi Liam, I use Photos as my main viewing and sharing platform so only keep finished images in here. All the Raws are kept on my macs hard drive (with backups on separate drive). If I download raws to my iPad (on holiday for example) once I’m back home and haveconfirmed therawson only hard drive I delete them from the iPad

Hi Chris,
This makes sense,
Do you use Lightroom CC so the iPad and Mac are syncable.
I’m toying between Lightroom CC for iPad and Mac or Affinity for solely iPad and just keep Lightroom 6 for MBP?
I love hearing on others workflows! All help and advice is good in this for me!
Thanks Chris!
Liam

Hi Chris,
This makes sense,
Do you use Lightroom CC so the iPad and Mac are syncable.
I’m toying between Lightroom CC for iPad and Mac or Affinity for solely iPad and just keep Lightroom 6 for MBP?
I love hearing on others workflows! All help and advice is good in this for me!
Thanks Chris!
Liam

I use Lightroom Classic CC on the Mac and CC on the iPad, that way all flags, keywords and edits are synced. I do have Affinity too on the iPad for if I need to do more advanced editing whilst I’m away (normally stitching panoramas or blending multiple shots)

@photosample Kalin, out of interest - how well does the 24-70 f2.8ii work with the MC-11 adapter?

I am happy.
I am using this combination for more than year now. ( Sony A7R II + Sigma MC-11 + Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8 II )
Taken around 50 000 photos with that combo.

It is not suitable for video, but for photos not a single problem (assuming your subject is not moving fast).

I could move to the Sony 24-70 GM only because I shoot video as well, and it will suit me better.

P.S. Here is example of this combo with moving subjects:
OGA Hiroyuki by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

Last edited:
I am happy.
I am using this combination for more than year now. ( Sony A7R II + Sigma MC-11 + Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8 II )
Taken around 50 000 photos with that combo.

It is not suitable for video, but for photos not a single problem (assuming your subject is not moving fast).

I could move to the Sony 24-70 GM only because I shoot video as well, and it will suit me better.

P.S. Here is example of this combo with moving subjects:
OGA Hiroyuki by Kalin Kalpachev, on Flickr

Thanks Kalin, appreciate the info, its been hard getting anything concrete on the MC-11 & 24-70 combo!

Wow can’t believe this thread dropped to the second page. Anyway here’s a few snaps to restore the status quo...

I haven't taken a picture since Christmas day. Everyones got a bug here now and Mrs W.W. has been refusing to leave the house during the bad weather which is a shame as we're had some good light for once.

Well with the arrival of the 24-70GM yesterday I've officially called a halt to my "EF Mount Experiment" in favour of native glass, the Sigma MC-11 & 35mm is already gone (sold very quick!) and I've just had arrive a Sony 70-200 f2.8GM from WEX this morning!!

Just the 21 Loxia, 24-70 and 70-200 now.... half tempted to swap the Loxia for a 16-35 GM but I really do love the small size, I think going forward any manual glass will be legacy, potentially Canon FD as I'd like to have a secondary small kit for when I'd prefer, probably 35/50/85.. already have an old Nikon 24mm f2.8D and an adapter and it does a decent job actually!

Well with the arrival of the 24-70GM yesterday I've officially called a halt to my "EF Mount Experiment" in favour of native glass, the Sigma MC-11 & 35mm is already gone (sold very quick!) and I've just had arrive a Sony 70-200 f2.8GM from WEX this morning!!

Just the 21 Loxia, 24-70 and 70-200 now.... half tempted to swap the Loxia for a 16-35 GM but I really do love the small size, I think going forward any manual glass will be legacy, potentially Canon FD as I'd like to have a secondary small kit for when I'd prefer, probably 35/50/85.. already have an old Nikon 24mm f2.8D and an adapter and it does a decent job actually!

Someone had a good Xmas!

Hi folks,

I'm looking to join the Sony fold and most likely will be going down the A7R III route following some feedback on an earlier thread I posted (https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/sony-a7r-iii-owners-owned-comments.669998/).

I like portrait & landscape photography and might be tempted by the odd bit of close/medium range wildlife but primarily will be interested in the former two

Assuming that I can pick up a A7RIII for £2.9k (courtesy of Digital Rev), taken away from an overall budget of 5K - can I ask what lenses/accessories you would recommend?

I'm still recovering from a near panic attack when i saw the price of Sony lenses compared to Canon/Nikon counterparts! E.g. Canon 50mm 1.4m USM is around 350 quid while the Sony counterpart is £1k. Are they loss leading on the cameras and recovering via the lenses etc?

I have FD 35, 50 and 85mm lenses and they're adequate along with my Olympus and Minolta lenses but I've been following the Voigtlander lens announcements and have the 40mm f1.2 which is excellent and can see myself having the 65mm f2 which as you know is excellent and the upcoming 35mm f1.4 which I hope will be excellent too.

The only problem with these excellent new lenses is I guess that they're not as portable as legacy lenses and probably wont be easily used on any future non Sony FF CSC.

Hi folks,

I'm looking to join the Sony fold and most likely will be going down the A7R III route following some feedback on an earlier thread I posted (https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/sony-a7r-iii-owners-owned-comments.669998/).

I like portrait & landscape photography and might be tempted by the odd bit of close/medium range wildlife but primarily will be interested in the former two

Assuming that I can pick up a A7RIII for £2.9k (courtesy of Digital Rev), taken away from an overall budget of 5K - can I ask what lenses/accessories you would recommend?

I'm still recovering from a near panic attack when i saw the price of Sony lenses compared to Canon/Nikon counterparts! E.g. Canon 50mm 1.4m USM is around 350 quid while the Sony counterpart is £1k. Are they loss leading on the cameras and recovering via the lenses etc?

That Canon 50mm is no doubt a relative piece of junk compared to the Sony 50mm f1.4 and 55mm f1.8 lenses which are excellent lenses. If you don't simply have to have f1.4 go for the relatively small and light 55mm f1.8 and be amazed at how good it is.

You could also reduce the cost of your system by using legacy lenses to fill any less used gaps.

Hi folks,

There are plenty of 50mm (ish) native lenses for Sony. I’d recommend the Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8. It’s small and optically superb, lovely build quality and very quiet. It’s simply in a different league to the canon 50mm 1.4. I really can’t talk highly enough about this lens. If 1.8 is fast enough this can’t be beat. There’s currently a cash back deal on this lens.

The zeiss 50mm f1.4 is the premium option. It’s bigger, has an aperture ring and is excellent all round.

There’s also the samyang 50mm 1.4. About £450 new. It’s louder in operation than the above lenses And the build quality isn’t to the same standard. I found its out of focus rendering much more pleasing that the canikons.

Now if you really want to make your eyes water have a look at the price of the 2.8 zooms.

And there's the Sony FE 50mm f1.8 which is well under £300 and I think cheaper than the Canon 50mm f1.4.

PS.
To repeat something I've said a few times...

When I had Canon I thought that the Sigma 50mm f1.4 was as good a 50mm as I'd ever need. I also had a Canon 50mm f2.5 which at the time was (so I read) Canon's sharpest 50mm, and the Sigma matched or beat the Canon at every aperture that the Canon could match.

So, when I got the Sony 55mm f1.8 I compared it to those lenses and my legacy 50mm lenses and the Sony 55mm simply crushed them all. It really is a world class lens.

Last edited:
Hi folks,

I switched from Canon earlier this year and you are right the prices can come as a bit of a shock, the fact the Sony doesn’t really do low budget lenses they are all great quality. You can make your money go further by going second hand. One thing you will notice is that equipment can change hand very quickly. I managed to build up a new A7Rii, 2nd hand 16-35mm f4, fe55 f1.8, fe85mm f1.8 and a new fe 100-400gm for about £6k. Given the cost of 2nd A7Rii’s now it would probably be closer to your budget. (The 16-35 and 85 we’re both less than 6 months old from my local LCE, the 55mm was from the forum)

With regards to photography I tend to shoot static wildlife (well as static as deer etc can be), family (kids and dog, although not running) and find it more than meets my needs, I haven’t tried the riii to compare the AF, but I will probably wait to see if Sony bring out an A9r as that would be my holy grail. The other benefit of 2nd hand is that if it’s not for you, you don’t lose to much moving it on.

There are plenty of 50mm (ish) native lenses for Sony. I’d recommend the Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8. It’s small and optically superb, lovely build quality and very quiet. It’s simply in a different league to the canon 50mm 1.4. I really can’t talk highly enough about this lens. If 1.8 is fast enough this can’t be beat. There’s currently a cash back deal on this lens.

The zeiss 50mm f1.4 is the premium option. It’s bigger, has an aperture ring and is excellent all round.

There’s also the samyang 50mm 1.4. About £450 new. It’s louder in operation than the above lenses And the build quality isn’t to the same standard. I found its out of focus rendering much more pleasing that the canikons.

Now if you really want to make your eyes water have a look at the price of the 2.8 zooms.

:plus1: For the 55mm, it’s a great lens, nice and compact, sharp and focuses well. I’m slowly learning to like the focal length

Thanks for the advice all, starting budget would be around 5k and then I can add to it plus I might even let go of the olly stuff!

55m 1.8 you say.. hmm thanks will check this. Starting setup would probably be a 50ish lens and a wide landscaping lens. After that I can fill in.. I don't normally use that many lenses as long as I get the right ones - currently my three go to lenses are 7-14mm, 25mm 1.2 and (very recently) 40-150 f2.8 though in terms of the latter I'll be damned if I'm paying 3k for an equivalent one from Sony haha (at least not yet!).

You could always keep some MFT stuff (in my case I'd keep the 7-14 and 40-150) for occasional use and limit the Sony gear to what you'll use most.

I have MFT lenses from 14 to 150mm and it'd cost a lot to replace them with FE lenses and to be honest I wouldn't want to anyway as the size and weight of some of the FF alternatives would put me off so I have the lenses I really want and use most in FE fit (or legacy lenses I use via adapters) and I have MFT for the wider and longer zooms which I don't use anywhere near as much.

I would honestly keep the Sony just for the 55mm. The lens really is that good.
It was the first lens I bought for my A7II. If your in the Sony system you need this lens.

The biggest annoyance for me is the 55mm is so good and given the price of the Sony glass I can’t justify a 24-70 knowing I have a 28mm and a 55mm and I’d never swap out these two lenses for a 24-70, too expensive to have both! So Sony kind of makes you choose primes or zooms route.

Someone had a good Xmas!

Haha, true - just wanting to make my life easier kit wise in 2018!

Hi folks,

Yes the Sony native glass is dearer, but they've only had what 4-5 years to try and build the lens system they have now and it covers most bases. I've been a vocal critic of price in the past but actually when you look at the "like for like" they aren't always that much more and the Sony glass tends to be on offer a lot! (10% off in most place just now).

For £2k to spend on glass (assuming UK as the Grey Import stuff seems to be similarly if even dearer priced on some lenses).
I'd probably go for either of the two zooms, the 24-70 2.8GM or the 24-105 f4G as that would cover off a lot of bases initially, could maybe add either a 35 f2.8 or 55 f1.8 to that as well... doesn't help for wildlife but thats where the cost comes in!

I have FD 35, 50 and 85mm lenses and they're adequate along with my Olympus and Minolta lenses but I've been following the Voigtlander lens announcements and have the 40mm f1.2 which is excellent and can see myself having the 65mm f2 which as you know is excellent and the upcoming 35mm f1.4 which I hope will be excellent too.

The only problem with these excellent new lenses is I guess that they're not as portable as legacy lenses and probably wont be easily used on any future non Sony FF CSC.

I am keeping half an eye on the new Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 but looks like it will be over £1000!!! 40mm f1.2 could be a nice "catch-all" prime I guess though if I keep the 21mm Loxia!

That Canon 50mm is no doubt a relative piece of junk compared to the Sony 50mm f1.4 and 55mm f1.8 lenses which are excellent lenses. If you don't simply have to have f1.4 go for the relatively small and light 55mm f1.8 and be amazed at how good it is.

You could also reduce the cost of your system by using legacy lenses to fill any less used gaps.

To be fair the Canon 50mm f1.4 is actually a very good lens...

About time they made a decent 50mm :D Their more recent 50mm f1.8 and f1.4 offerings have imo been weak.

We'll have to wait and see the Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 price and performance. I'm pretty sure I read it's going to be about the same price or maybe a touch cheaper than the 40 and 65mm. I do hope they've done a good job with the optics and if they have and it's anywhere near as good as the 40mm but in a more compact form it will be difficult to resist :D

Last edited:
I would honestly keep the Sony just for the 55mm. The lens really is that good.
It was the first lens I bought for my A7II. If your in the Sony system you need this lens.

The biggest annoyance for me is the 55mm is so good and given the price of the Sony glass I can’t justify a 24-70 knowing I have a 28mm and a 55mm and I’d never swap out these two lenses for a 24-70, too expensive to have both! So Sony kind of makes you choose primes or zooms route.

I’d always had 50mm for Nikon but really just used it for low light and would mainly turn to 24-70 f2.8.

When I first tried Sony I bought the 55mm and there wasn’t at the time a 24-70 f2.8. My photography certainly improved from learning to use a fixed focal length over a zoom lens.

I'd have a good read of the statement on the SONY UK website about grey imports Mark, as for lenses sounds like the 16-35 F4 & 55 F1.8 would be a good start

I’d always had 50mm for Nikon but really just used it for low light and would mainly turn to 24-70 f2.8.

When I first tried Sony I bought the 55mm and there wasn’t at the time a 24-70 f2.8. My photography certainly improved from learning to use a fixed focal length over a zoom lens.

I couldn’t agree more.
I came from Canon and had the 24-70 f2.8 and it was my most used lens. Literally 95% of my shots on it. But the 55mm taught me a lot!

I'd have a good read of the statement on the SONY UK website about grey imports Mark, as for lenses sounds like the 16-35 F4 & 55 F1.8 would be a good start

I'm not necessarily advocating grey imports but certainly for me (In Scotland) the warranty you get with a Sony body from Panamoz goes to the same place it would if Sony UK were repairing it and its for 3 years, not 1.

Although currently you are getting a 4 Year Warranty with a UK A7riii

I'm not necessarily advocating grey imports but certainly for me (In Scotland) the warranty you get with a Sony body from Panamoz goes to the same place it would if Sony UK were repairing it and its for 3 years, not 1.

Although currently you are getting a 4 Year Warranty with a UK A7riii
Lol Chris,you dont keep a camera long enough to warrant a warrant lol.
(Pot kettle black i know ) :ROFLMAO:

Back