The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Going by their previous mirrorless not great ;) But on that basis Nikon's will be even worse [emoji38]

TBH there's no reason that they can't bring something great out straight away. Sony have done the leg work, all they need to do is copy it then make the ergonomics and colours better and they'll have a winner (y)
And what about the lenses if it's a New mount

And what about the lenses if it's a New mount
Needs to have a perfect working adapter for f-mount whilst they produce the lenses for the new mount. Canikon have left it far too long imo, Sony are well ahead of the game.

Last edited:
Just face it, you gave your last one away :D

I did indeed. And I'll probably "give away" this one too in matter of few months. So I am not dying for it.
It's not hard to drive me down on price as you very well know ;)

Makes no odds to me, I’m buying the A7iii. [emoji1]

Up to you homeslice :D

Going by their previous mirrorless not great ;) But on that basis Nikon's will be even worse :LOL:

TBH there's no reason that they can't bring something great out straight away. Sony have done the leg work, all they need to do is copy it then make the ergonomics and colours better and they'll have a winner (y)

They already have Sony sensors so just take A9 and put all of it in a Nikon body. Job done. Lol

I did indeed. And I'll probably "give away" this one too in matter of few months. So I am not dying for it.
It's not hard to drive me down on price as you very well know ;)

Up to you homeslice :D

I’ll be selling up within the week. If I get a good price for my A7 and lenses on here so be it, otherwise I’ll trade it with Wex. Just let me know!

I fully expect Canon to make a good camera that's been kneecapped so they can maintain feature sets through their product lines, as I'm currently using Nikon I'm more curious to see what they'll produce.

I think a brand new Nikon mount could be a dangerous move :)
I think it’s a given there’ll be a new mount tbh, but what will be a very dangerous move is if the F-mount is not FULLY compatible with an adapter.

They already have Sony sensors so just take A9 and put all of it in a Nikon body. Job done. Lol
Nikon don’t use Sony sensors anymore ;)

Is it me or does that 24-70 look a bit odd?
Am I missing something?

I think it’s a given there’ll be a new mount tbh, but what will be a very dangerous move is if the F-mount is not FULLY compatible with an adapter.

Nikon don’t use Sony sensors anymore ;)

Am I missing something?

Thought they did? According to Nikon rumours site they did D750, D500, D5 etc?

Thought they did? According to Nikon rumours site they did D750, D500, D5 etc?

Used to. D850 is made by tower jazz, highly likely other models will, they're investing massively in new manufacturing facilities.

Last edited:
So Sony sensors are still in D500 etc, just the D850 and any newer releases will be tower jazz?

So Sony sensors are still in D500 etc, just the D850 and any newer releases will be tower jazz?

Perhaps, we'll have to see, but huge investment means something big is going on and they achieved a record year.

Last edited:
In that case maybe I should buy it anyway, even if I don’t get an A7.

What’s the 28-70 kit lens like?

Not bad. I bought one recently to see how I got on using a zoom - Not owned one for about 5 years!! But wanted something for landscapes/hiking.

How do wex trade in prices compare to MPB?

MPB offered me £140 for my 28-70mm that I bought off of them for about £200 earlier this year ;) In excellent condition.

I enquired about doing a part exchange with the Zeiss 24-70mm but I'm still undecided.......

Sony decided to hold back on some of their best sensors so Nikon (and probably others) are looking elsewhere. The D850 was the first departure from Sony and I believe that future sensors won’t be either. Whether Nikon are still using Sony sensors for the older bodies (such as D500) or have started putting tower jazz in them now I don’t know, but I strongly suspect they’re still Sony.

Sony decided to hold back on some of their best sensors so Nikon (and probably others) are looking elsewhere. The D850 was the first departure from Sony and I believe that future sensors won’t be either. Whether Nikon are still using Sony sensors for the older bodies (such as D500) or have started putting tower jazz in them now I don’t know, but I strongly suspect they’re still Sony.

This is not the first time Nikon have used non-Sony sensor. It makes good business sense to not depend on a single company for the heart of their business. So it's in their best interest to diversify. They'll probably continue to use sony where they see fit.

As far as Sony's sensor business is concerned, the consumer camera form a very small part of it and Nikon an even smaller chunk. So even if Nikon decided to dump Sony I am sure their sensor business won't take a big hit.

All in all both Sony and Nikon are doing just fine for now :D

Last edited:

It’s not a case of Sony holding back their sensors, it’s just that Sony Digital Imaging business get around a 6 month exclusivity deal with Sony Semiconductors to use the latest sensor technology first.

Any 3rd party company can buy/source sensors off Sony Semiconductors providing they pay the price, Sony will even do custom designed sensors like they do for Fuji etc

Nikon have done well with Sony sourced sensors, managing to eeek better performance out of them than the ones in Sony’s own bodies :eek:

Sony are pushing out some great sensor technology, if you dig deeper into the history behind the Sony A9 project, the sensor was actually thought up over 3 years ago.
That’s some insight, imagine what Sony are working ok now that’ll be in bodies in the future.
Knowing Sony it’ll probably push the technology which they put in G Master lenses..... think Sony A9 with a 100mp sensor but even better AF, responsiveness, build, technology.

In the future all we would need to do is press the shutter button, the camera will do the rest, no stress, no effort..... no post processing... no workflow, just pure output direct to the client thus saving time and money.

Imagine doing a wedding and handing over the files straight out of the camera, that’s the future....... maybe :D

It’s not a case of Sony holding back their sensors, it’s just that Sony Digital Imaging business get around a 6 month exclusivity deal with Sony Semiconductors to use the latest sensor technology first.

Any 3rd party company can buy/source sensors off Sony Semiconductors providing they pay the price, Sony will even do custom designed sensors like they do for Fuji etc

Nikon have done well with Sony sourced sensors, managing to eeek better performance out of them than the ones in Sony’s own bodies :eek:

Sony are pushing out some great sensor technology, if you dig deeper into the history behind the Sony A9 project, the sensor was actually thought up over 3 years ago.
That’s some insight, imagine what Sony are working ok now that’ll be in bodies in the future.
Knowing Sony it’ll probably push the technology which they put in G Master lenses..... think Sony A9 with a 100mp sensor but even better AF, responsiveness, build, technology.

In the future all we would need to do is press the shutter button, the camera will do the rest, no stress, no effort..... no post processing... no workflow, just pure output direct to the client thus saving time and money.

Imagine doing a wedding and handing over the files straight out of the camera, that’s the future....... maybe :D
But then no-one will need to hire a pro tog if that’s the case ;)

But then no-one will need to hire a pro tog if that’s the case ;)

They will as Sony will probably charge about £10k for the body!!! Lol :D
Perhaps Sony will put a finger print reader on it so the body is linked to a licensed Sony photographer ;)
That would be something new.... imagine it.

Last edited:

Would make shooting confetti shots easier wink wink

Anyone got a spare $201k?!

leica-m7-titanium-3-lens-set-big_01-770x770.jpg

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2018/03/12/super-rare-leica-m7-titanium-3-lens-set/

Imagine if Sony did a Sony A9 limited edition with the holy trinity G Master’s :eek: Gulp.

Back