The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

As I've always been a sucker for a bit of new release hype I've been thinking whether to trade my A7RII in for an A7III. After all, I've had it for weeks now!

I really don't need the megapixels and I know this. It means more storage space too. My PC is aging too so I've been concerned about processing time.

So yesterday I was going to the post office and took the camera to grab a panoramic series to see if the PC would grind to a halt and make my mind up for me.
It managed fine with the stitch and then I couldn't help cropping in to see how much detail was there.

Stirling Panorama by Colin Robertson, on Flickr

castle crop by Colin Robertson, on Flickr

I reckon on a hazy day with 200mm at a distance of 2.67 miles (to the castle) that's not bad.

And then I found out I'd have to pay £85 for a charger !
Keeping the R2 :D

....for now

Don't forget the cost of spare battery also.

And in my case new software also

Last edited:
There is no defeat, the Sony A9 is still the better body albeit at a significant higher cost.
If I really thought the A7 III was better I would have just bought one ;)
Instead I’m going to get the A9 II lol :D
Sony GAS is alive.

Considering I've started to shoot video I think the A7III is much better for video given the picture profiles and HLG etc. Why they haven't added it to the A9 is bonkers

We've been spoiled with Fuji's Mr P. The sony "charger" that comes with the cheapy £2k camera is an adapter to let you charge the battery in the camera.

Thats just a power block isn't it? Still has to be plugged into the camera and not an external battery charger

That isn't the charger, rather the USB bit that allows you to send power to the camera

OK, got it now :confused:

Well I'd be a bit disappointed on a 2K camera, but if that what it says on the tin, then that's it!!

Considering I've started to shoot video I think the A7III is much better for video given the picture profiles and HLG etc. Why they haven't added it to the A9 is bonkers

Yup but I believe Sony will be adding video profiles to the A9 via firmware or so I’m told.
Let’s see if Sony deliver or if their reps are lying lol :D

:D:D:D

Hate to think what you get with A6000 series cameras then, a dynamo I expect, and then you have to fork out for the treadwheel.....
You get the same "entry level" stuff :D
The original A7/r never came with a charger. They added it back on A7RII IIRC.

Few pages back I posted a7iii v a9 eye af video.

I was being sarcastic. Jonney thinks canon glass on even the lower spec a7r2 is like native canon speed.... pffft.
lol, missed that one didn’t I :LOL:

So just shot a orchestra and choir in a theatre, and i used the highlight metering :) handy for this kind of stuff - I should imagine, never had the option before :)
Sony have adopted that have they? Yes very useful.

I'm a Canon (5D2) shooter as well as having M43 cameras and so have got used to using both optical and electronic viewfinders, I actually prefer the latter. I had some hands on time with the Sony A7 iii at my local LCE today and was impressed with the ergonomics of the camera, the size, grip and control locations were perfect for my average sized hands. I thought the focus performance was way ahead of my admittedly now dated 5D2, The Eye AF experience was exceptional, it just worked to perfection, I could exactly replicate the various demonstration videos showing this feature. We then tried a Canon 24-105mm F4 Mk 1 on the camera using a Sigma MC 11 adapter, again this worked to apparent perfection, fast focusing, Eye Af worked just the same. It will be very interesting to see how other Canon mount lenses work or don't work on this specific body and check the images. My Canon mount lenses are almost all Tamron or Sigma lenses and another visit would be very worth while to see what lenses could be kept for the kinds of photography I enjoy. I thought the touch screen functionality was still a work in progress however, it seemed odd that it doesn't do much other than select the focus point.

Subject to the usual caveats of a newly introduced camera, I think this Sony body is a game changer, whether I buy it or not. A new Canon 5D4 is currently about £3299 from official suppliers but I thought the camera spec (especially video) was out of date even on introduction, the Sony is £1300 cheaper and might well be able to use some of my existing glass or if necessary, I could buy some Sigma Art lenses. The days of Canon and Nikon having 3 or more year product cycles and holding back on features must be drawing to a close, excepting for those that absolutely must have the toughest and weather resistant cameras for every day rough and tumble professional use. It's going to be very interesting to compare the specifications and prices of whatever Canon or Nikon mirrorless cameras might (eventually?) appear, will they have proper IBIS, decent buffers and native glass and can they continue to allow Sony to undercut on the body price so significantly?

I was riding motorcycles in 1969, when BSA and Triumph were the Worlds biggest producers of large motorcycles. That year saw the introduction of the then sensational Honda CB750, a bike with 4 cylinders, electric start, disc brakes and an oil tight engine that could cruise at high speeds and still tick over nicely at the end of the journey. Triumph's response to this was a crass advertising campaign, 'Are you man enough to ride a Triumph?'. Who could have foreseen that within a very few years that BSA and Triumph had gone to the wall, apart from the small and under financed Triumph Co-operative that mostly produced the ageing Bonneville for a few more years. Honda's four had beaten Kawasaki to bring their 750cc four to the market, in fact Kawasaki went back to the drawing board and introduced their sublime 900cc Z1 in 1972. This just might make an interesting business case study for senior Canon and Nikon management, just play delete the motorcycle manufacturer name and insert a camera manufacturers name!

Subject to the usual caveats of a newly introduced camera, I think this Sony body is a game changer, whether I buy it or not. A new Canon 5D4 is currently about £3299 from official suppliers but I thought the camera spec (especially video) was out of date even on introduction, the Sony is £1300 cheaper

And this is why both Nikon & Canon should be worried, it’s a great move from Sony to offer the whole Sony A7 III package for £1999 which both Nikon & Canon have nothing to compete with from a feature set perspective.
It’s a game changer due to this reason alone.
The Sony A7 III, A7R III and A9 are all game changers in their respective market segments.

Come on Nikon & Canon, now is the time to fight back! :)

WEX are including the 3 year don’t warranty with the A7iii - not sure if anyone else is as have not looked!

WEX are including the 3 year don’t warranty with the A7iii - not sure if anyone else is as have not looked!
Most places are, if they are not advertising it just ask in-store.
I am going to get the 3 year warranty extension for my Sony A9, it normally costs £79.99 :D

I’m glad my gear didn’t sell!! So I went down to £680 for my Nikon 35mm and WEX have offered £760 trade in! My 70-200 was going to go on at £880, WEX trade in price £940!

I’m glad my gear didn’t sell!! So I went down to £680 for my Nikon 35mm and WEX have offered £760 trade in! My 70-200 was going to go on at £880, WEX trade in price £940!
Great news.... does this mean your going to switch over to the Sony A7 III?
I am going to play with a Sony A7 III soon :eek: :D lol

And this is why both Nikon & Canon should be worried, it’s a great move from Sony to offer the whole Sony A7 III package for £1999 which both Nikon & Canon have nothing to compete with from a feature set perspective.
It’s a game changer due to this reason alone.
The Sony A7 III, A7R III and A9 are all game changers in their respective market segments.

Come on Nikon & Canon, now is the time to fight back! :)
They don't as the only way you can get the same feature set is to go mirrorless. However, the D750 still gives the A7iii a good run for its money and is cheaper, and it over 3 years old. I wonder what the D760 will offer?

Ask me tomorrow afternoon! If I do I will have a lens before the camera lol
Have you tried the camera yet?

Sony’s timing on the A7iii is very well played. With no imminent news on new Canon or Nikon bodies - mirrorless or not, this will make them think about what to do!

D750 - is still such a good camera, but it’s in need of a slight refresh just to give people more to think about.
6DmkII - errr no words can describe my disappointment in this camera.

Even if Nikon don’t bring a mirrorless to the table a D760 would be a logical move while they develop one.

They don't as the only way you can get the same feature set is to go mirrorless. However, the D750 still gives the A7iii a good run for its money and is cheaper, and it over 3 years old. I wonder what the D760 will offer?
Hopefully Nikon put a axe to any D760 idea or any other of their DSLR bodies and divert all their R&D and oney into going mirrorless :)

Last edited:
Sony’s timing on the A7iii is very well played. With no imminent news on new Canon or Nikon bodies - mirrorless or not, this will make them think about what to do!

D750 - is still such a good camera, but it’s in need of a slight refresh just to give people more to think about.
6DmkII - errr no words can describe my disappointment in this camera.

Even if Nikon don’t bring a mirrorless to the table a D760 would be a logical move while they develop one.
Then Sony would just put the price down to 1.5k on the mk3!

Hopefully Nikon put a axe to any D760 idea for or any other of their DSLR bodies and divert all their R&D and oney into going mirrorless :)
They are going mirrorless, they said that last year. I don't think they can ditch DSLR and f-mount just like that though, it'll take a long gradual process for people to move across.

Then Sony would just put the price down to 1.5k on the mk3!
The price will go down to that soon anyway, they always do after initial release.

Have you tried the camera yet?
I've had probably 5 or 6 D750 bodies and honestly it doesn't give the A7III a run for its money at all

The D750 has price on its side and lenses vastly cheaper

As a camera it's not even close tbh

They are going mirrorless, they said that last year. I don't think they can ditch DSLR and f-mount just like that though, it'll take a long gradual process for people to move across.
It the long gradual process which is costing them in the short-medium turn which the likes of Sony / Fuji leaping a head.
I think they should just do a cold-turkey and put a stop to ALL their DSLR development, how much more can you eeek out of DSLR technology?
Time to move on and go all in with mirrorless. :D

I've had probably 5 or 6 D750 bodies and honestly it doesn't give the A7III a run for its money at all

The D750 has price on its side and lenses vastly cheaper

As a camera it's not even close tbh
I know it doesn't in terms of feature set, but in terms of getting the image (barring eye AF) and final image I'm sure it does. I'm not denying the A7iii isn't very well priced though.

Back