The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Do sony do a 35mm 1.8 or just the 2.8 for the A7?

70-200 showed up today after getting delayed in transit, got a £30 refund of compensation out of it which was nice

sonylens by dancook1982, on Flickr
Nice. Doesn't look a lot of room between the grip and lens though for people with sausage fingers like me :eek:

Using the A7III this morning. Absolutely love the camera. Actually doesn't take that long to charge the batteries in the camera! Just charged via USB-C

Using the A7III this morning. Absolutely love the camera. Actually doesn't take that long to charge the batteries in the camera! Just charged via USB-C
Did you say you'd had a D750? How would you rate AF acquisition and tracking for sports in comparison if you've had the chance to try anything that would resemble this?

Did you say you'd had a D750? How would you rate AF acquisition and tracking for sports in comparison if you've had the chance to try anything that would resemble this?
Shooting the kids running up and down the street just lol

The focus feels absolutely identical to the A9 to me

There composition options are much better than being limited to a central batch of focus points (outer d750 points aren't very accurate)

Different league altogether, I owned about 6 D750 bodies over a few years

All the points on the A7/A9 are exactly the same in my experience accuracy wise lol

Shooting the kids running up and down the street just lol

The focus feels absolutely identical to the A9 to me

There composition options are much better than being limited to a central batch of focus points (outer d750 points aren't very accurate)

Different league altogether, I owned about 6 D750 bodies over a few years
Yeah I sometimes find the AF speed limiting on the D750 tbh. So if the focus feels the same as the A9 I would imagine it would therefore have speedier acquisition and track better than the D750 yielding in a higher hit rate? The reason for my questions is that I shoot the London marathon for Arthritis Research (the rest of my photography is for myself) and you have a split second to spot one of their runners, focus and shoot before they disappear behind another runner. Sometimes you get lucky and you can get a series of the runner coming towards you. Where their cheer point is it's tree lined and so the runners are running in and out of the shadows, so pretty tricky lighting. The D750 has never let me down, and I don't want to consider a swap to a camera that might struggle in such a situation. But from what you're telling me the A7iii won't struggle and would be even better?

Then you aren't going to be buying a Sony anytime soon
Bit cramped are they? I've only tried them with small lenses, nothing like the 70-200mm or 100-400mm

Yeah I sometimes find the AF speed limiting on the D750 tbh. So if the focus feels the same as the A9 I would imagine it would therefore have speedier acquisition and track better than the D750 yielding in a higher hit rate? The reason for my questions is that I shoot the London marathon for Arthritis Research (the rest of my photography is for myself) and you have a split second to spot one of their runners, focus and shoot before they disappear behind another runner. Sometimes you get lucky and you can get a series of the runner coming towards you. Where their cheer point is it's tree lined and so the runners are running in and out of the shadows, so pretty tricky lighting. The D750 has never let me down, and I don't want to consider a swap to a camera that might struggle in such a situation. But from what you're telling me the A7iii won't struggle and would be even better?
It is 100% better. If you're happy with the D750 AF, the 693 point system in the A7III will blow you away.

I definitely think it's the exact same AF. Actually better eye tracking too !

Told you so!
Almost tempted to not bother with the wee 35 2.8 Zeiss. This is remarkably sharp, it's a very small lens the wife said people will think I'm using a point and shoot camera at weddings [emoji23]

Back