The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

So the 50 1.8 is not good? Budget wise if I got a 55 I couldn’t get a wider lens and I need something wider.

35mm 2.8 any good?!

So the 50 1.8 is not good? Budget wise if I got a 55 I couldn’t get a wider lens and I need something wider.

35mm 2.8 any good?!

Yes the Sony Zeiss 35mm f2.8 is good and very compact.

35mm 2.8 any good?!

The 50/1.8 is perfectly fine as a nifty fifty. The 55/1.8 is the better lens overall but is also £400 more. Personally, I’d get the 50/1.8 and Samyang 35/2.8.

Last edited:
I will have a look at the lenses tomorrow. 35mm might just cover my needs for now!

35mm 2.8 any good?!

FE 35mm/2.8 is an amazing lens. On the same level as FE55/1.8.

I bet hes already washed and ironed the labcoat ready :rolleyes::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:
Who ever washes a lab coat ;) I wish Sony would send me free stuff to try like they do those folk on youtube, I'd be good at testing gear ;)

Everything I’ve read suggests that the Samyang is an excellent alternative to the Zeiss. I know Jonney has one and rates it highly.
Jonney rates anything to do with Sony, works with Sony or even slightly resembles Sony ;) :p

35mm f2.8 samyang is the only lens im taking away with me tomorrow. Apart from build quality it seems as good as the zeiss at a 3rd of the price.

Last edited:
35mm f2.8 samyang is the only lens im taking away with me tomorrow. Apart from build quality it seems as good a the zeiss at a 3rd of the price.

Another one to add to the list to try!

Don't forget the 55mm is regarded as the mini otus

in it's flat lifeless rendering? or the mtf charts for sharpness?

might consider one for street though

Might also change my AF setup

On shutter adjustable single point C-AF
AF-on wide area focus with face detection
AEL eye af

Last edited:
35mm f2.8 samyang is the only lens im taking away with me tomorrow. Apart from build quality it seems as good as the zeiss at a 3rd of the price.
Mounted to which camera?

AEL eye af

Glad it's not just me.

The Samyang weighs 85g!! Blimey that’s so light!

Barcelona.

@snerkler a7rii
Hope I don’t bump into you then or I’ll get camera envy ;) I’ll not bother sharing my pics :eek:

Have you bothered pre-booking anything such as the Sagrada Familia? I can’t decide whether to or not, it’s out of season so can’t see it being ‘that’ busy (famous last words ;))

AEL eye af

I don't recognise the Sony 55mm from that description, it is IMO an excellent lens.

As pretty much an outsider looking in...

What advantages does the A9 offer over the A7III?

The one that could matter to me is the lack of banding when using the electronic shutter but this wouldn't tempt me to buy it as my GX80 has a very quiet mechanical shutter which is fine for all but totally silent shooting.

What else does the A9 do above and beyond the A7III?

As pretty much an outsider looking in...

What advantages does the A9 offer over the A7III?

The one that could matter to me is the lack of banding when using the electronic shutter but this wouldn't tempt me to buy it as my GX80 has a very quiet mechanical shutter which is fine for all but totally silent shooting.

All that game changer stuff

All that game changer stuff

But what?

I almost certainly wont buy either but I'm just curious.

My next camera purchase will probably be a Panny GX9 but I'll have to see if I can sell something first, my GX7 or possibly my GX80, I haven't decided which should go yet.

And a charger

I know it's annoying but if you can get past the annoyance they're probably available from £10 and up on evil bay. I bought a cheap A7 battery charger off there and it's worked perfectly for 4 years.

Be available to purchase?

Being able to blackout-free burst shoot in silence with a huge buffer makes it my choice, well as well as not having the option between them.

AF probably won't be dissimilar, who knows.. the A9 has a higher processing speed, what real life difference this has.. we will see in reviews i guess.

There's also 20fps.. which is good for a laugh

I just read the A9 LCD has a higher resolution
https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/preview/sony-a7iii-vs-a9/

Last edited:
Back