The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Yet your cautious about his feedback...

You should be all over the camera now...

What are you afraid of?

The banding?

Im cautious about everyones feedback (especially yours) peoples requirements and scenarios are different. Id really trust a handful of peoples opinions here.

Ive sold all my gear in prep so lets wait and see.

What should I be afraid of Jonney?

Im cautious about everyones feedback (especially yours) peoples requirements and scenarios are different.

Ive sold all my gear in prep so lets wait and see.

What should I be afraid of Jonney?
Quality.

Any chance you could rent one to try? Or even go down a shop or the photography show to try it?

@dancook not gloating. Unlike you. You show off!

Errr WOW so have I... and pretty much everything else.
Imo the A7III and A9 AF is identical bar the eye AF oddly holding on better.

There is a reason they advertise it as world class autofocus lol

Trust me it is worlds better than the D750

Imo the A7III and A9 AF is identical bar the eye AF oddly holding on better.

There is a reason they advertise it as world class autofocus lol

Trust me it is worlds better than the D750

Yeah, I found that interesting in the video over at DPR.

Now where have I heard that before. :D

Im looking at the a7iii and still at the a9 but I don't think Sonys releasing much a9 stock due to recall. Ill ponder it a bit more as pricing gap is fairly gigantic. Dan got a good deal.

Is this sony 50mm 1.8 a good lens from younusers as places says it quick and good

What so the 50mm af slow then. Nothing like the Nikon version. 50mm 1.8 G

It is light years ahead of the D750 AF abilities
I'm sure it's not "light years" ahead ;) :p

So when will you be ditching your nikon? Hehe
It's the cost (of lenses) that's stopping me. Had 3 quotes now (including MPB) and all would mean ditching all that gear I mentioned for a camera and lens if I went the A7riii route, or camera and 2 lenses if I went the A7iii route.

Yet your cautious about his feedback...

You should be all over the camera now...

What are you afraid of?

The banding?
TBH Jonney you should always be cautious of feedback and decide for yourself (y)

Ill try get to a shop some time but Im not weeing in my pants to try anything new. @snerkler can try it and let me know how he gets on ;)
Pretty much a dead end for me price wise tbh. Looked into it properly now (3 quotes) and can't afford to swap. Maybe I'll revisit the idea when prices have come down on the grey market, especially the 70-200mm and 100-400mm.

Yes I know the 55mm is one of the best. How about 85 1.8

Yes I know the 55mm is one of the best. How about 85 1.8

It's also one of the best :D

The 55/1.8 is obviously a better lens all round but I wouldn’t say the 50/1.8 is overly noisy or slow to AF. Output quality is also equal to the CaNikon lenses.

I don't know about Nikon but IQ wise its better than canon. But canon's AF is better even when adapted to recent Sony bodies.

With all due respect Steve really needs the whole sequence the show if the af is any good. One in focus shot could just be luck?

Valid point but nobody delivers a 10 shot sequence to a client. If I had a sequence of 20 shots and one nailed, wouldn’t it be the same result?

Also, the A7 mk1 AF is pants so I was just showing how the lens is still able to deliver on that so on an A7iii it will be fine.

Last edited:
.... so it's like every other camera available then. :confused:
Whats like every other camera.
Are you not following this thread or do you just skip over my posts since the beginning. One of the biggest must have features I have lusted after is a glival shutter. Since my MK1 R Sony have all but added everything I wanted, just global shutter missing now.

Whats like every other camera.
Are you not following this thread or do you just skip over my posts since the beginning. One of the biggest must have features I have lusted after is a glival shutter. Since my MK1 R Sony have all but added everything I wanted, just global shutter missing now.

No I don't because you rarely contribute, I do follow the thread though. No other camera has a global shutter so good luck.

£160 used compare to £600 used

Some have gone for less than £500 on here.
Do you shoot at 50mm often? If not go for the cheaper option. If you do like that focal length consider investing in the better lens. No point doing all your beans on a new body and not having enough to go towards glass.

Valid point but nobody delivers a 10 shot sequence to a client. If I had a sequence of 20 shots and one nailed, wouldn’t it be the same result?

Also, the A7 mk1 AF is pants so I was just showing how the lens is still able to deliver on that so on an A7iii it will be fine.

My dog was tired before I got a shot running towards me on my leica :D

No I don't because you rarely contribute, I do follow the thread though. No other camera has a global shutter so good luck.
Not yet, would be a definite buy for me.
Sorry for not contributing much.

Back