The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The A9 shows about as much banding as a mechanic shutter would, and perhaps a tiny bit more - but the A7III eshutter will exhibit banding like the other A7 cameras before it - which means you need to be really aware of your surroundings.

My comment was with regards to eshutter only, mechanical shutter will be much the same as the A9 performance except for lower FPS and not having the no blackout.

I really wanted to use the eshutter for street photography on the A7S, but I had a few photographs ruined by rolling shutter because of it.

eshutter on the A7III will introduce rolling shutter, it will read the sensor at a max of 1/30th versus the 1/150th of the A9.

Mechanical shutter will result in blackout on both cameras though, it’s a physical shutter.

I’m sure rolling shutter will be visible in situations with sideways movement. The A9’s faster readout will definitely reduce it but until there are global shutters, every camera will show it to some degree.

Tbh if you don't notice it or the client then it's doing the job mate.

Too Many people pixel peep

Wow! I suppose that's to be expected from you.

Until you try sell said lens or stop down and get a s*** soft side. No point in accepting a high value item with problems!

No, I don't even know what that really is or how I should check - or even WHY.. because if they're making s***ty lenses they can just go...

Can go what? Sell more of them? Which is what they are doing. The QC on this lens is crap and it's not a 20 quid Samyang.

Last edited:
Wow! I suppose that's to be expected from you.

Until you try sell said lens or stop down and get a s*** soft side. No point in accepting a high value item with problems!
Na bruv.

I'm fully aware there's qc issues! Just buy it from amazon and return it if it has the issue.

Mechanical shutter will result in blackout on both cameras though, it’s a physical shutter.

I’m sure rolling shutter will be visible in situations with sideways movement. The A9’s faster readout will definitely reduce it but until there are global shutters, every camera will show it to some degree.

I'm saying you don't need to use mechanical shutter on A9 for sports, but you do with the A7III

The difference will be something like this.

Sony-A9-Antidistortion-Shutter-1024x576.jpg

I need to get Yuffie down to the beach for some better backgrounds :) ooo and sand spray..

Incredible Flying Dog by dancook1982, on Flickr

Image wise nothing from the A7iii has really blown me away compared to my D750 but that was to be expected I guess. But your A9 pics are actually awesome!

What breed is your flying dog?

Or a Sigma 35mm 1.4 with decent accuracy for £5-600

I sold my Canon 35L mk1 for £500 last year for the mk2.

I don't really want to buy another Canon mount 35mm 1.4 lens to save about 5mm on the top end? With an adaptor I might as well get the native Sony Zeiss.

Image wise nothing from the A7iii has really blown me away compared to my D750 but that was to be expected I guess. But your A9 pics are actually awesome!

That'll be the 20fps ;)

She's Pomeranian/Chihuahua cross.

Or…

ysBRIOD.jpg

DoADEfe.jpg

eshutter on the A7III will introduce rolling shutter, it will read the sensor at a max of 1/30th versus the 1/150th of the A9.
I thought it was 1/15th for the Sony A7R III / A7 III and 1/160th for the Sony A9.
If you want the best usable silent shutter, the Sony A9 has it.
One day camera’s won’t even have a mechanical shutter due to their limitations.

Dan has a good eye and processing. He makes any camera shine tbh. Even a crappy a9 :p

Spoke to the bloke after u left and he said they will start appearing next month.

The 135mm one is already out in the wild. Someone has it already

Yeah I saw that.

Not a lens I use that much, I think mine came out to play may be a handful of times last year.

I wonder what price it'll be, the 35mm. If its similar to Canon/Nikon then I'll snap one up.

Last edited:
So in the real world how does the A9 get on with Canon mount Sigma lenses using the Sigma adapter?

I have a Canon mount Sigma 150-600mm sport and although I could run to a Sony 100-400mm G I wonder how the sport would perform af speed wise.

Adapted won't be near native. Long lenses especially.

I thought it was 1/15th for the Sony A7R III / A7 III and 1/160th for the Sony A9.
If you want the best usable silent shutter, the Sony A9 has it.
One day camera’s won’t even have a mechanical shutter due to their limitations.

Pretty sure it's around 1/30 plus as Dan said.

Canon is at a cross road, I am sure their R&D is doing crazy overtime to try and come up with something, but this something must be some magic camera because you can see anything too different the accountant will be fighting against it. The hardcore Canon old school users don't want it.

Do they though? It's entirely possible they can keep milking their current ranges for many more years because at the end of the day even their worst is still a good camera.

Pretty sure it's around 1/30 plus as Dan said.

From dpreview.....

“What the a7 III's sensor doesn't have is the fast readout speed found on the a9's 'stacked CMOS' sensor, which can scan the full sensor in about 1/160 sec. In contrast, the a7 III's electronic shutter takes about 1/18th of a second, which is much slower. This means that while the a7 III can shoot silently using electronic shutter, moving objects may show some distortion due to the effects of rolling shutter. You can also expect more banding when using the silent shutter under certain types of artificial light at higher shutter speeds. Shooting JPEG only or 12-bit compressed Raw mitigates the issue though, thanks to roughly 2x faster readout speed.”

I’m heading back from the Photography Show now. Kept my wallet in my pocket but the A7iii is seriously impressive. I was shooting continuous with the silent shutter and the only hint of any blackout was a split second between images. I also used the A9 alongside it and the AF is definitely on par and anyone that says the blackout-free EVF on the A9 is a defining feature and justifies the cost may be seriously surprised. Personally, the tiny amount of flicker (rather than blackout) on the 7iii is short enough to not even really register. Definitely impressed and will be watching the prices over the next few weeks. I also shot the Samyang 35/2.8 on an A7Riii (my friends’ I was with) and the AF was also excellent. I see why people choose it over the Sony equivalent and it was up for £225 today.
Any sign of Rookies ?:giggle:

Never used mirrorless - what is the difference between electronic and mechanical shutter?

Does mechanical still do 10fps?

Electronic is absolutely silent
Mechanical is not

A9 E/M fps 20/5
A7III E/M fps 10/10

Electronic shutter can exhibit banding in artificial lighting and rolling shutter with movement, also you cannot fire flash.

HOWEVER, the A9 has tackled the issues of banding and rolling shutter, so that it's far more usable for action and artificial lighting. To the point of me being confident to use it for all my professional work.

Up to now eshutter has been great for static subjects when silence is ideal, such as wedding ceremonies.

Last edited:
Never used mirrorless - what is the difference between electronic and mechanical shutter?

Does mechanical still do 10fps?

Correct, if you want the most usable body which offers silent shooting and to take photos with movement/motion, the Sony A9 is it.

From dpreview.....

“What the a7 III's sensor doesn't have is the fast readout speed found on the a9's 'stacked CMOS' sensor, which can scan the full sensor in about 1/160 sec. In contrast, the a7 III's electronic shutter takes about 1/18th of a second, which is much slower. This means that while the a7 III can shoot silently using electronic shutter, moving objects may show some distortion due to the effects of rolling shutter. You can also expect more banding when using the silent shutter under certain types of artificial light at higher shutter speeds. Shooting JPEG only or 12-bit compressed Raw mitigates the issue though, thanks to roughly 2x faster readout speed.”

News to me, was rumoured at 1/30

Back