The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Can we keep informed comments like this off the forum please?! I was feeling perfectly happy with my a7RII, even after shooting motorsport in the snow, but now I'm very intrigued by the a7III.

Yeah, sorry about that [emoji6]

There were deals on new A7Rii’s for £1600 here today which were very tempting but I think I’ll hold out for the iii and forego the extra MP.

I’m heading back from the Photography Show now. Kept my wallet in my pocket but the A7iii is seriously impressive. I was shooting continuous with the silent shutter and the only hint of any blackout was a split second between images. I also used the A9 alongside it and the AF is definitely on par and anyone that says the blackout-free EVF on the A9 is a defining feature and justifies the cost may be seriously surprised. Personally, the tiny amount of flicker (rather than blackout) on the 7iii is short enough to not even really register. Definitely impressed and will be watching the prices over the next few weeks. I also shot the Samyang 35/2.8 on an A7Riii (my friends’ I was with) and the AF was also excellent. I see why people choose it over the Sony equivalent and it was up for £225 today.

Is that the same for mechanical?

I hear the blackout free shutter is something I think people in sports particularly enjoy - however the A7III won't do sports adequately with electronic shutter since it suffers rolling shutter. Or possibly banding if indoor sports, particularly with florescent.

I like the 'blackout free shutter', makes it easier to keep track of my dog during shots :) I wouldn't rave about it, Jonney would - the defining feature for me is the ability to shoot action silently in artificial lighting without banding or rolling shutter. Also having the larger buffer helps particularly when you engage 20fps.

If they were both out at the same time I'd still pick the A9, I love having usable silent shutter for everything I do.

Last edited:
Is that the same for mechanical?

I hear the blackout free shutter is something I think people in sports particularly enjoy - however the A7III won't do sports adequately with electronic shutter since it suffers rolling shutter. Or possibly banding if indoor sports, particularly with florescent.

I like the 'blackout free shutter', makes it easier to keep track of my dog during shots :) I wouldn't rave about it, Jonney would - the defining feature for me is the ability to shoot action silently in artificial lighting without banding or rolling shutter. Also having the larger buffer helps particularly when you engage 20fps.

If they were both out at the same time I'd still pick the A9, I love having usable silent shutter for everything I do.

I thought the A9 showed banding too as it’s just a result of the electronic shutter synching timing with the lighting. Also, I haven’t shot with the A7iii so wouldn’t want to give a sweeping statement that it won’t do sports adequately.

I get that the A9 is their flagship and if money is no object it’s the top choice. My comment was from someone,who doesn’t shoot the olympics, picking up both cameras side by side and comparing them for my own uses. As it is, I think the 7iii looks like an excellent all rounder that’s more than capable of delivering what most of us would ever throw at it.

Forgot to add, I didn’t use the mechanical shutter but I’d expect some blackout as it’s a physical shutter closing/opening so there’s no way around it. I assume even the A9 has blackout with the mechanical shutter unless Sony have invented invisible shutter blinds?

I thought the A9 showed banding too as it’s just a result of the electronic shutter synching timing with the lighting. Also, I haven’t shot with the A7iii so wouldn’t want to give a sweeping statement that it won’t do sports adequately.

I get that the A9 is their flagship and if money is no object it’s the top choice. My comment was from someone,who doesn’t shoot the olympics, picking up both cameras side by side and comparing them for my own uses. As it is, I think the 7iii looks like an excellent all rounder that’s more than capable of delivering what most of us would ever throw at it.
The thing you need to remember is that many a9 users bought it last year and there was no mk3 etc.

When buying gear it's about timing.

Would canikon have alternative by then?

Canon is at a cross road, I am sure their R&D is doing crazy overtime to try and come up with something, but this something must be some magic camera because you can see anything too different the accountant will be fighting against it. The hardcore Canon old school users don't want it.

There is no one camera that can satisfy everyone. But they need to do something, I think going half ass will just be no good. Going half ass means Sony keeps pulling ahead and eating into their sales.

Forgot to add, I didn’t use the mechanical shutter but I’d expect some blackout as it’s a physical shutter closing/opening so there’s no way around it. I assume even the A9 has blackout with the mechanical shutter unless Sony have invented invisible shutter blinds?

I think A9 only has like a 5FPS mechanical shutter?

I think it just may, all it really needs now is a 35 1.8.

I'd be happy with Canon's 35/2.0 equivalent. Putting an adaptor and a 35L on it makes it feel like I am shooting some telephoto lens. Actually makes it harder to travel with and shoot street with.

I thought the A9 showed banding too as it’s just a result of the electronic shutter synching timing with the lighting.

The A9 shows about as much banding as a mechanic shutter would, and perhaps a tiny bit more - but the A7III eshutter will exhibit banding like the other A7 cameras before it - which means you need to be really aware of your surroundings.

Also, I haven’t shot with the A7iii so wouldn’t want to give a sweeping statement that it won’t do sports adequately.

My comment was with regards to eshutter only, mechanical shutter will be much the same as the A9 performance except for lower FPS and not having the no blackout.

I really wanted to use the eshutter for street photography on the A7S, but I had a few photographs ruined by rolling shutter because of it.

eshutter on the A7III will introduce rolling shutter, it will read the sensor at a max of 1/30th versus the 1/150th of the A9.

Last edited:
I'd be happy with Canon's 35/2.0 equivalent. Putting an adaptor and a 35L on it makes it feel like I am shooting some telephoto lens. Actually makes it harder to travel with and shoot street with.

35l is a 1.4 though not a 1.8. 1.4 is much bigger.

Stupid thing really when the 10 fps shutter was primed and ready in the morning few months after a9 was released. Id rather they delayed release to add that

Going to have to buy an A7III for the times I want to fire the flash at 10fps

Back