The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The stupid thing was that CameraWorld and LCE were opposite each other and both had them at £1599. Round the corner at WEX, they were selling a used body for the same price! Funnily enough, the used one was still there as I left :0)
Did Wex have any A7iii’s or just empty boxes :rolleyes::D

News to me, was rumoured at 1/30

They could have made a mistake, regardless, the Sony A9 is the better option for silent shooting and high frame rates.
AF/AE is calculated 60 times a second at 20fps, that’s some super fast DRAM throughout! :D

Correct, if you want the most usable body which offers silent shooting and to take photos with movement/motion, the Sony A9 is it.

3k grey at the moment. Maybe keep the D750 until they come down a bit more or I save a bit more!

3k grey at the moment. Maybe keep the D750 until they come down a bit more or I save a bit more!

Could be a option if you want the very best Sony currently offer for speed & silence :D at a price though!

I can't remember if I mentioned it before..

I know some people think silence is overrated, I believe there's an argument for silent cameras for more frequently allowing for natural photos. Or at least not killing my creativity with concern for others...

However where it really excels is when combined with continuous shooting, I can shoot in someone's face at 5/10/20 fps - that person is not going to be disturbed by the sound of the shutter rattling off - and later I can pick the very best moment.

I can't remember if I mentioned it before..

I know some people think silence is overrated, I believe there's an argument for silent cameras for more frequently allowing for natural photos. Or at least not killing my creativity with concern for others...

However where it really excels is when combined with continuous shooting, I can shoot in someone's face at 5/10/20 fps - that person is not going to be disturbed by the sound of the shutter rattling off - and later I can pick the very best moment.

People are going to see the thing wether it's silent or not if you point it at them.

At 10fps by the time they'e noticed you'e got like 50 shots.

Seriously though, id hate to cull 20k shots after a couple days. Can't think of much worse ways to spend time.

Guess I don’t! I find myself with way too many shots with 6.5fps lol.

Anyone I’m sticking with D750 for now. Maybe grey prices might sway me but looking at digital rev prices it’s not a good start!

Silent shutter however is quite helpful when taking pics of dressage like the weekend. You could here me clicking away in the background lol

Last edited:
People are going to see the thing wether it's silent or not if you point it at them.

Seriously though, id hate to cull 20k shots after a couple days. Can't think of much worse ways to spend time.

^^ This

I know Dan’s A9’s are this weeks’ new toys but the idea of having 20k images after 9 days is depressing to me. I get that it’s like shooting fish in a barrel with 20fps ‘candids’ but what happened to creativity and actually watching for key moments instead of shooting anything that moves (or doesn’t) then spending hours in front of a monitor?

I don't need to bring the camera up to my eye with the flip screen, so I'm easily ignored.

I'm shooting people engrossed in conversation or performing - their attention is usually elsewhere.

Processing doesn't take much longer, because you know you're only looking for the one shot in each batch.

I would still bursts, but the problem is "burst" with a 5D4 get me 3 shots. A burst with the A9 I ended up with about 10-12 shots.

Without changing the technique I am going to need a lot more cards.

More the reason to just keep it for now then.

So you switching to Fuji or not? :D

Not for the moment. Although their mechanical shutter in the xh1 is near silent and it’s a lovely thing to use.
Have a couple of shoots this month so can do without having to sell and buy a load of gear in a rush.

I don't need to bring the camera up to my eye with the flip screen, so I'm easily ignored.

I'm shooting people engrossed in conversation or performing - their attention is usually elsewhere.

Processing doesn't take much longer, because you know you're only looking for the one shot in each batch.

If they are so engrossed would they notice a fairly quiet shutter at your hip?

But you're reviewing a lot more shots, still have to create previews, then review for the shot, cull.... or just load your drives up with 99% of the same sequence.

Last edited:
If they are so engrossed would they notice a fairly quiet shutter at your hip?

But you're reviewing a lot more shots, still have to create previews, then review for the shot, cull.... or just load your drives up with 99% of the same sequence.

I just cull on the body quickly.
Once I go down the iPad Pro route it’s just a simple swipe and delete/tick to delete or keep. :)
Better to have more fire power than less, I can always use the dedicated drive dial to select drive speeds ;)

I just cull on the body quickly.
Once I go down the iPad Pro route it’s just a simple swipe and delete/tick to delete or keep. :)

..... but still a lot of shots to go through.... which means it's still a lot of time. Where would you find time in a shoot to review and cull on camera after 20fps bursts?

Doesn't have to be 20fps, I only use 20fps if I know something is going to happen which will benefit from it - which hasn't come up for people shots yet.... mostly shooting 5fps.

only used 20fps for birds/dog and pub testing :)

I'm shooting a rehearsal for a play I've never heard of, it's extremely chaotic - things happening all over the stage simultaneously. A girl is grabbed and pushed and she throws a bunch of plates into the air as she falls - the AF instantly locks onto her and I grab 5-10 shots and one of them is a winner.

There's a short chaotic scene of dancing all over the stage followed by them diving to the floor as a pair of 'police officers' enter view at the side... shutter burst gave me a great usable shot of them diving with the police in the background

Compositions and creativity were not compromised..

Last edited:
Doesn't have to be 20fps, I only use 20fps if I know something is going to happen which will benefit from it - which hasn't come up for people shots yet.... mostly shooting 5fps.

I'm shooting a rehearsal for a play I've never heard of, it's extremely chaotic - things happening all over the stage simultaneously. A girl is grabbed and pushed and she throws a bunch of plates into the air as she falls - the AF instantly locks onto her and I grab 5-10 shots and one of them is a winner.

There's a short chaotic scene of dancing all over the stage followed by them diving to the floor as a pair of 'police officers' enter view at the side... shutter burst gave me a great usable shot of them diving with the police in the backgrodund

Compositions and creativity were not compromised..

A9 users (not you) bang on about 20fps....

All im saying is culling 20fps can't be fun, not that it's useless... of course I understand the advantages in select scenarios.

Last edited:
Little write up of the a7RII and FE 100-400mm at Goodwood...http://www.chrisharrisonphotography.com/new-blog/2018/3/19/goodwood-76mm

On the FPS discussion, 1600 photos in 5 hours at Goodwood. Roughly 800 sharp and then culled down to 200 keepers that I'd consider high quality. Pretty much perfect balance for me, if I had 20fps I'd be straight in the menu to find a way to turn that down!

Little write up of the a7RII and FE 100-400mm at Goodwood...http://www.chrisharrisonphotography.com/new-blog/2018/3/19/goodwood-76mm

On the FPS discussion, 1600 photos in 5 hours at Goodwood. Roughly 800 sharp and then culled down to 200 keepers that I'd consider high quality. Pretty much perfect balance for me, if I had 20fps I'd be straight in the menu to find a way to turn that down!

So 50% of shots were not sharp, was that down to the conditions so you think as that’s quite a high ratio?

Some cracking images though!

..... but still a lot of shots to go through.... which means it's still a lot of time. Where would you find time in a shoot to cull on camera after 20fps bursts?

Well the time saved not having to chimp, focus and recompose or move the focus point on a eye I can spend culling :D

Last edited:
Well the time saved not having to chump, focus and recompose or move the focus point on a eye I can spend culling :D

it took me no more than 5 minutes to cull the 800 photos (all at 20fps) I took this afternoon.

I can mouse wheel scroll through them at a rate like fast forwarding through a video - is what actually mean.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me...

Is the spot focus still limited to the centre with new cameras as it is with my A7 or can it follow the focus point as you move it?

EDIT.

Soz, I meant spot metering...

Last edited:
Oh dear, what a poor argument.

It’s not an argument, just some of the benefits of mirrorless technology in general :D
Oh and let’s not even start on spending days trying to find tune the AF on lenses ;) lol

it took me no more than 5 minutes to cull the 800 photos (all at 20fps) I took this afternoon.

I can mouse wheel scroll through them at a rate that's just like watching a video play in my Lightroom window.

What about the import and preview build..... it still would've taken less time at a lower fps. :p

So you take 800 shots to get how many keepers? Do you really think that you couldn't have gotten a keeper at lower fps and far less culling?

Back