The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I know I've said this 100 times but I really don't get all this badge lust. Who cares who makes this stuff?

To be honest I like to buy British, the theory being that it keeps people working and paying tax in the UK but none of this stuff is made in the UK so why should I buy a camera made in one Japanese factory over one made in another Japanese factory or in a Japanese owned factory in Chon Buri for that matter? If it's not made in the UK and helping our economy frankly I don't care where it's made and I care even less if it's made by Canon or Sony. Why should I give a flying? And I'm always a bit baffled by those who lust after a Canon/Nikon?whatever over something else.

But one thing that would put me off a Canon is that in recent years they've tended to hobble their products for differentiation whereas Sony is at least throwing more into their stuff at the mo.

I also don't care for brands. I am just hoping canon will so join the FF mirrorless game as competition is always good. Plus there is always a chance they'll solve the issues I have on Sony.

But it'll take a fair bit to make me give up that A7RII sensor.

Last edited:
Maybe not you but there do seem to be people sitting on the edge of their seats just hoping for a Canon mirrorless... why???

I also don't care for brands. I am just hoping canon will so join the FF mirrorless game as competition is always good. Plus there is always a chance they'll solve the issues I have on Sony.

But it'll take a fair bit to make be give up that A7RII sensor.

Sony’s 42mp BSI sensors are pretty awesome and now their new 24mp BSI sensor is also awesome.
But something tells me Sony are saving something really ground breaking for when both Canon & Nikon enter the FF mirrorless market.

Global sensor perhaps?
Organic sensor?

Something out-there I reckon. :D

Sony’s 42mp BSI sensors are pretty awesome and now their new 24mp BSI sensor is also awesome.
But something tells me Sony are saving something really ground breaking for when both Canon & Nikon enter the FF mirrorless market.

Global sensor perhaps?
Organic sensor?

Something out-there I reckon. :D

TBH when the A7III seemed to be taking a while coming and then came out with arguably a better spec than people expected I thought that a Canikon CSC was imminent and Sony had delayed and over spec'd the A7III to kill whatever Canikon were about to announce.

Chances are that all of these companies have at least a sneaking suspicion what they're all up to.

Anyone a pro at taking videos of an EVF?!

Would love to see the view through the A7iii panning whilst shooting in 8/10fps.

Is that even posssibe?!

:sulk:Where’s Andrew?
He's still lurking ;)

With a DSLR I always left it in C-AF, remove AF on shutter and used back button focus - so can just set focus with backbutton and let go for S-AF.

The A9 has cool customisation for buttons allowing you to just jump into another AF setup temporarily

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3qpOfaCEzI
That sounds a good feature. I don't like BBF.

Maybe not you but there do seem to be people sitting on the edge of their seats just hoping for a Canon mirrorless... why???
Maybe because they're heavily invested in Canon glass and hope that lenses will be compatible? Sony lenses are just too pricey as there's not a lot of mid range lenses available.

tbh im not. it has to be gorund breaking to tempted me. ive learned a lot from u guys who kept switching systems.

for me the mirrorless switch was ground breaking over canon dslr because of tech and iq.

the best i can see from canon is similar iq and tech as sony. why would i or any sony user switch if its the same iq and tech and end result?

Maybe because they're heavily invested in Canon glass and hope that lenses will be compatible? Sony lenses are just too pricey as there's not a lot of mid range lenses available.
Watch both Nikon and Canon make a new lens mount with prices similar to Sony lenses ;)
It’s all about making money. :D

Watch both Nikon and Canon make a new lens mount with prices similar to Sony lenses ;)
It’s all about making money. :D
I'm sure they will be expensive, and if you read my post I wasn't saying that Sony are particularly more expensive than Canikon, just that they don't have lower end lenses to make the system more affordable. Plus there's no real 3rd party stuff yet (y)

tbh im not. it has to be gorund breaking to tempted me. ive learned a lot from u guys who kept switching systems.

for me the mirrorless switch was ground breaking over canon dslr because of tech and iq.

the best i can see from canon is similar iq and tech as sony. why would i or any sony user switch if its the same iq and tech and end result?
I'd be surprised if Canon's IQ was as good, certainly not in terms of noise and DR, but probably will be better in terms of colour.

I'm sure they will be expensive, and if you read my post I wasn't saying that Sony are particularly more expensive than Canikon, just that they don't have lower end lenses to make the system more affordable. Plus there's no real 3rd party stuff yet (y)

Your right, 3rd party manufactures are slowly warming to FE so in time I hope it’s addressed :)

IQ of Sony is not better than Canon or Nikon cameras from anything I have seen so do not see that as a reason to switch to mirrorless.

It’s more the speed and new tech and abilities for me.

I think I actually saved a bit when I sold my Canon stuff and bought the A7 but I've probably spent the profit on old manual lenses by now :D

I did actually sell a couple of Canon / compatible lenses for more than I paid for them new :D I guess I just got lucky with currency fluctuations.

Better AF and ergonomics

IQ of Sony is not better than Canon or Nikon cameras from anything I have seen so do not see that as a reason to switch to mirrorless.

It’s more the speed and new tech and abilities for me.

Sony and Nikon both have better IQ than canon. Canon is one to two generations behind

If Canon or Nikon make a mirrorless FF camera, they’ll be introducing a new lens mount. I guarantee it. So those wishing they can use their existing lenses are flat out of luck.

@woof woof

Yeah I’ve heard a lot of poor reviews about Johnstones - for manual stuff there’s always Cameratiks in Edinburgh, but I can’t say I’ve used them often!

Your right, 3rd party manufactures are slowly warming to FE so in time I hope it’s addressed :)

The Sigma whisper that they're going to design more lenses specifically for E mount and for FE could be good news but to be honest I still expect them to make very good and consequently slightly or even significantly bigger and heavier lenses.

I suppose this is understandable but it's at odds with what a lot of people including me would like to see... more compact and reasonably priced lenses that are good enough if not world beating.

I hope someone decides to go more compact and cheaper even if it means less technically good.

Last edited:
If Canon or Nikon make a mirrorless FF camera, they’ll be introducing a new lens mount. I guarantee it. So those wishing they can use their existing lenses are flat out of luck.

@woof woof

Yeah I’ve heard a lot of poor reviews about Johnstones - for manual stuff there’s always Cameratiks in Edinburgh, but I can’t say I’ve used them often!

I've used them a few times and been reasonably happy but to be honest on an occasion or two I was less so, guess I should have headed the warnings. I did use someone else a while ago but I can't find the receipt but at least I now have the recommendations from you guys here. Thanks.

When she saw me upset Mrs Woof Woof offered to buy me a new one which is very nice of her but of course new ones aren't available and nice ones are few and far between.

Anyone fancy some more photos?

I got my A7II this week, upgrading from an A7 mostly for IBIS and freedom from sensor reflection in night shots

Putting that into practice with a C/Y Zeiss 50mm f/1.7 at f/2.8 and ISO 800 from 1/40 down to 1/20 sec; certainly the cleanest results I've ever had in this kind of light so I'm pretty happy

Quality Line SDE20293
by Rob Telford, on Flickr

London General SE270

Morden Station

Last edited:

I am guessing canon will stick with eos-m mount which uses the same protocols as EF mount. So people with be able to easily use thier existing lenses in case of canon.

TBH I think most people are aware that Canikon mirrorless will have to introduce a new mount, but I think most are hoping that they will also make existing lenses be fully compatible (including AF speed). I think it would be a bad move for both if they didn't as it will take years to release a lens lineup even close to what they have now, and they are already several years behind Sony in that regards too.[/QUOTE]

TBH I think most people are aware that Canikon mirrorless will have to introduce a new mount, but I think most are hoping that they will also make existing lenses be fully compatible (including AF speed). I think it would be a bad move for both if they didn't as it will take years to release a lens lineup even close to what they have now, and they are already several years behind Sony in that regards too.
[/QUOTE]

Their m5 and cheapo £99 adaptor Work great with the glass so I can’t see why ff version wouldn’t work as well.

Their m5 and cheapo £99 adaptor Work great with the glass so I can’t see why ff version wouldn’t work as well.
actually even the cheapo 3rd party adapters that you can get for £20-50 will work just as well. Like I said somewhere above eos-m and EF use the same protocols. The adapter is just a hollow tube with simple wires connecting the contacts.

TBH I think most people are aware that Canikon mirrorless will have to introduce a new mount, but I think most are hoping that they will also make existing lenses be fully compatible (including AF speed). I think it would be a bad move for both if they didn't as it will take years to release a lens lineup even close to what they have now, and they are already several years behind Sony in that regards too.

I don’t think it would be in Canon & Nikon’s best interests if they released an adaptor that made their exiting lenses operate exactly the same as their new more expensive mirrorless lens mounts.
They will most likely do what Sony did with their A mount to E mount adaptors.

- high price for the adaptors
- big in size
- reduced functionality / feature set

They will want people to buy their new lenses, that’s where the profit is.

I believe e-mount is an open standard, it might work in both Sony and nikon's favour if nikon used e-mount also (kinda like oly & pana with m43)

I don’t think it would be in Canon & Nikon’s best interests if they released an adaptor that made their exiting lenses operate exactly the same as their new more expensive mirrorless lens mounts.

- big in size

But they also need to quietly persuade canon dslr users to move over. Allowing them to use some of their existing glass makes sense.

But they also need to quietly persuade canon dslr users to move over. Allowing them to use some of their existing glass makes sense.

considering most of the glass I use or want to use are no smaller on e-mount and canon EF already have glass I like at a affordable price, if canon make a decent sensor with good eye-AF abilities I'd switch (i.e. NOT like 6D2 and more like 5D4).

Last edited:

They will but doubt the older DSLR lenses will operate like the native mirrorless versions, otherwise they might as well stick to their current mounts and reduce their profit potential.

Mirrorless technology and features will persuade existing users to move over, they have been waiting and drooling for ages! Lol

I would say they will change their protocols and lock them down so nobody can make 3rd party adaptors. Perhaps licence put the protocols etc.
They need to generate profits.

Last edited:
They will but doubt the older DSLR lenses will operate like the native mirrorless versions, otherwise they might as well stick to their current mounts and reduce their profit potential.
I would say they will change their protocols and lock them down so nobody can make 3rd party adaptors. Perhaps licence put the protocols etc.

We’ll see. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

so you are saying they'll dump eos-m?

I don't think so... that'd be stupid

so you are saying they'll dump eos-m?

I don't think so... that'd be stupid

Canon have around 7 EF-M lenses available at the moment, they could expand the line your right. Guess it depends if the EF-M was designed with FF in mind?

Both Canon and NIkon need the money. Neither are going to miss out on an opportunity to do that. Call me a cynic, but it just doesn't make business sense for either company. EOS-M Is APS-C right? Maybe they'll come out with an EOS-M FF mount, or something. Adapted glass is a contentious one - not sure what Canon would do in regards to adapters. I'd be tempted to say they'll lock down the protocol, not allowing 3rd party adapters, but we'll see.

- big in size

TBH as Cankion have bee so tardy in pulling their finger out in releasing mirrorless they've now left themselves between a rock and a hard place. Bring out a new mount without making existing lenses fully compatible and you upset a lot of current users, and potentially lose more customers to Sony as there'll not be anywhere enough lenses to suit everyone's needs. Only Canikon will know what they're going to do, but as I said by waiting so long they've made it difficult.

I believe e-mount is an open standard, it might work in both Sony and nikon's favour if nikon used e-mount also (kinda like oly & pana with m43)
That would be mega if Sony and Nikon did that, unfortunately I don't see that happening.

Mirrorless technology and features will persuade existing users to move over, they have been waiting and drooling for ages! Lol

TBH I still prefer the view looking through OVF's, it's just so much nicer on the eye. A lot of the other features don't really interest me either, such as eye AF, peaking etc, for my shooting none of these are of any benefit. One feature that is useful (to me) is to see the cropped view in DX mode, and on the very odd occasion having the WYSIWYG in the EVF can be useful. The debate as to which is better will go on forever I feel, just like the Canon vs Nikon debate. What's odd is that a lot of EVF fanatics don't understand why some prefer OVFs ;)

Mid way through a wedding with the Sony gear. MUCH prefer it to the dslrs though I'd say another few outings in the next month and I'll be well adapted.

Battery on the A7III is brilliant !

TBH I still prefer the view looking through OVF's, it's just so much nicer on the eye. A lot of the other features don't really interest me either, such as eye AF, peaking etc, for my shooting none of these are of any benefit. One feature that is useful (to me) is to see the cropped view in DX mode, and on the very odd occasion having the WYSIWYG in the EVF can be useful. The debate as to which is better will go on forever I feel, just like the Canon vs Nikon debate. What's odd is that a lot of EVF fanatics don't understand why some prefer OVFs ;)

What's the best EVF you've tried?

I've not tried the A9 or A7R III but I assume the increased resolution and frame rate would remove whatever minor complaints I still had about them and even so I'll take the trade, having a well lit display at all times is a huge advantage for me.

I know some people don't get along with EVF's regardless of quality, not sure what they'll do when everything goes mirrorless though.

Personally I think there will be a place for OVF's for a some time, for example if like me shooting wildlife you can spend most of the day looking though the viewfinder never to fire off a shot it draws little power, sometimes my camera sits in standby for hours and hours but I still get to view the world through the viewfinder, when Sony bring out a decent 500/600mm and a camera that can do a week on a charge I may switch my dated ;) 1dx2/Canon rig. I'd like to add a Sony mirrorless just for GAS but times/tech change fast so I will hang fire for the main players to catch up ;), after all it was only a short while back that Sony found there feet and got with the program re the A7/9. Give it a year from now and see what hits the market, some say Sony have an ace card to play when Canon etc bring out a mirrorless, I'd say they have nothing other than what they have now, my guess is no matter what they all produce I will still have GAS and my photography will be none the better for any of them... :)

Back