The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

What's the best EVF you've tried?

I've not tried the A9 or A7R III but I assume the increased resolution and frame rate would remove whatever minor complaints I still had about them and even so I'll take the trade, having a well lit display at all times is a huge advantage for me.

I know some people don't get along with EVF's regardless of quality, not sure what they'll do when everything goes mirrorless though.
EVF's I tried or had are the A77 and A77II, XT1, EM1, EM1-II, A7Rii, A7 and a few bridge cameras (and maybe a couple more that I've forgotten ;)) I appreciate that the A7riii and A9 have better EVFs (spec wise) but imo it doesn't matter how good the screen get you're always looking at a screen and as such will never look like an OVF. That's just physics ;)

EVF's I tried or had are the A77 and A77II, XT1, EM1, EM1-II, A7Rii, A7 and a few bridge cameras (and maybe a couple more that I've forgotten ;)) I appreciate that the A7riii and A9 have better EVFs (spec wise) but imo it doesn't matter how good the screen get you're always looking at a screen and as such will never look like an OVF. That's just physics ;)

Your end result will be very close to what you see on the screen not what you see through OVF. If you want to naturally admire the view then probably best to just use your eyes and/or binoculars. Would save a lot of space and money :D

For photographing things my opinion is EVF is far more useful tool that OVF. Of course there used to be issues with lag etc for shooting action but those are disappearing also.

I am an EVF fanboi :D

Last edited:
Your end result will be very close to what you see on the screen not what you see through OVF. If you want to naturally admire the view then probably best to just use your eyes and/or binoculars. Would save a lot of space and money :D
Oh yeah, I just don't know how togs have coped all these years not being able to see the end result before taking the shot ;) :p

Oh yeah, I just don't know how togs have coped all these years not being able to see the end result before taking the shot ;) :p

Photographers coped without AF, stabilisation, ridiculously high ISOs etc etc etc. That's a silly argument, just because its possible to cope doesn't make it better or equally useful.

As I said above for photographing things my opinion is EVF is far more useful tool that OVF. Of course there used to be issues with lag etc for shooting action but those are disappearing also.

What's the best EVF you've tried?

I've not tried the A9 or A7R III but I assume the increased resolution and frame rate would remove whatever minor complaints I still had about them and even so I'll take the trade, having a well lit display at all times is a huge advantage for me.

I know some people don't get along with EVF's regardless of quality, not sure what they'll do when everything goes mirrorless though.

I guess it depends what you shoot?

My reservations on the A7iii EVF are as follows. But without getting to try one in the field I can’t say how the EVF will perform for me.

I pan and track horses whilst taking burst pics, then track some more then take more bursts.
Will there be any lag?
Will I still be able to track as well as an OVF bearing in mind using mechanical shutter it shows the image taken.

I take panning/slow action pics in very low light. The A9 files looked no better than the ones from the D750, if anything not as clean, so still not quite seeing the benefit of the A7iii over the D750. Although this could have been down to the Photographer using the A9!

I’m not fussed about the view finder showing ‘what you get’ as any sort of lag or loss or tracking means that becomes irrelevant anyway!

But as I said, without testing in that actual environment I can’t say if it will or will not be a deal breaker! Only issues with that is no one has stock and would have to buy one to try it anyway!

But after all my own reservations I am still tempted. Not sure why why I read that back :LOL:

TBH as Cankion have bee so tardy in pulling their finger out in releasing mirrorless they've now left themselves between a rock and a hard place. Bring out a new mount without making existing lenses fully compatible and you upset a lot of current users, and potentially lose more customers to Sony as there'll not be anywhere enough lenses to suit everyone's needs. Only Canikon will know what they're going to do, but as I said by waiting so long they've made it difficult.

That would be mega if Sony and Nikon did that, unfortunately I don't see that happening.

TBH I still prefer the view looking through OVF's, it's just so much nicer on the eye. A lot of the other features don't really interest me either, such as eye AF, peaking etc, for my shooting none of these are of any benefit. One feature that is useful (to me) is to see the cropped view in DX mode, and on the very odd occasion having the WYSIWYG in the EVF can be useful. The debate as to which is better will go on forever I feel, just like the Canon vs Nikon debate. What's odd is that a lot of EVF fanatics don't understand why some prefer OVFs ;)

EVF’s just about remove the need to gimp, though.

/endthread

Give it a year from now and see what hits the market, some say Sony have an ace card to play when Canon etc bring out a mirrorless, I'd say they have nothing other than what they have now,
Weren't they planning the A9 years ago or at least the tech that made it possible? I'd guess that they kept on planning and have a roadmap of sorts of stuff still to come.

Weren't they planning the A9 years ago or at least the tech that made it possible? I'd guess that they kept on planning and have a roadmap of sorts of stuff still to come.

Yes, the technical side to sensor was known to Sony DI about 3 years ago.
That’s some insight for the Sony DI business to plan the Sony A9.

Photographers coped without AF, stabilisation, ridiculously high ISOs etc etc etc. That's a silly argument, just because its possible to cope doesn't make it better or equally useful.

As I said above for photographing things my opinion is EVF is far more useful tool that OVF. Of course there used to be issues with lag etc for shooting action but those are disappearing also.

It wasn't an argument it was a joke ;)

EVF’s just about remove the need to gimp, though.

/endthread
I don't need to chimp with my OVF, I understand my metering and 99% of the time my exposure turns out how I want them. EVFs aren't full proof though, quite often in bright sunlight you can't see all the shadow detail etc and can sometimes be fooled into thinking you need to boost the exposure, even if I shield the EVF with my hand. I've done this several times and then when I get back to the computer they've then been overexposed. I've since stopped relying on the image that I see and trust the metering and histogram (yes the histogram in the EVF is useful). But that's the problem with LCD screens, they look different in different lights, even the ones in the EVFs.

P.S> I appreciate as screens improve this will get better.

Last edited:
The A7III definitely has better eye AF

The no blackout is definitely brilliant though

How much better is it, have you had a chance to try it back to back against the Sony A9.
Wonder if it’s still as good at high fps in terms of keepers or if it just looks more sticky looking at the square box on LCD/EVF?

Sony A9 Eye-AF.

I pan and track horses whilst taking burst pics, then track some more then take more bursts.
Will there be any lag?
Will I still be able to track as well as an OVF bearing in mind using mechanical shutter it shows the image taken.

Can't answer this unfortunately, it would be fairly damning for Sony mirrorless if it couldn't though?

I take panning/slow action pics in very low light. The A9 files looked no better than the ones from the D750, if anything not as clean, so still not quite seeing the benefit of the A7iii over the D750. Although this could have been down to the Photographer using the A9!

Thing is, the D750 is exceptionally good camera and dirt cheap used, you'll spend double or quadruple that price and you're never going to get double or quadruple the performance in return. From what I've seen the A7 III should outperform the D750 across the board but for most situations at small resolutions I doubt I could tell the difference, I'm not liking the low light AF-C performance though but this is something I never really use.

I’m not fussed about the view finder showing ‘what you get’ as any sort of lag or loss or tracking means that becomes irrelevant anyway!

Neither am I but it's still a selling point most people will make use of at some point.

Thing is, the D750 is exceptionally good camera and dirt cheap used, you'll spend double or quadruple that price and you're never going to get double or quadruple the performance in return. From what I've seen the A7 III should outperform the D750 across the board but for most situations at small resolutions I doubt I could tell the difference, I'm not liking the low light AF-C performance though but this is something I never really use.

t.

Even low light AF-C?

Can't answer this unfortunately, it would be fairly damning for Sony mirrorless if it couldn't though?

Neither am I but it's still a selling point most people will make use of at some point.

All good and fair points! With regards to the low light AFC. That could be the deal breaker for me. Next model will maybe have it all!!!

Saying that - I will keep an eye on A9 prices grey lol

Where can I get a spare Sony NP-FZ100 battery? It seems to be out of stock everywhere.

Park Cameras will have it in 4 days..

DigitalRev have it, if you’re willing to pay a £10 premium? Everywhere else is OOS it seems. Bristol Cameras are the cheapest, but they have no ETA on when more will come in.

Last edited:
TBH as Cankion have bee so tardy in pulling their finger out in releasing mirrorless they've now left themselves between a rock and a hard place. Bring out a new mount without making existing lenses fully compatible and you upset a lot of current users, and potentially lose more customers to Sony as there'll not be anywhere enough lenses to suit everyone's needs. Only Canikon will know what they're going to do, but as I said by waiting so long they've made it difficult.

That would be mega if Sony and Nikon did that, unfortunately I don't see that happening.

TBH I still prefer the view looking through OVF's, it's just so much nicer on the eye. A lot of the other features don't really interest me either, such as eye AF, peaking etc, for my shooting none of these are of any benefit. One feature that is useful (to me) is to see the cropped view in DX mode, and on the very odd occasion having the WYSIWYG in the EVF can be useful. The debate as to which is better will go on forever I feel, just like the Canon vs Nikon debate. What's odd is that a lot of EVF fanatics don't understand why some prefer OVFs ;)
im with you in preferring OVF

You can get Godox receivers but you won't have full functions of the Canons.

I have four 600EXRT, I need something to set them off from the A73. I normally shoot manual with flash so as long the trigger can wirelessly adjust the settings on each flash head wirelessly it’ll do.

TBH I think most people are aware that Canikon mirrorless will have to introduce a new mount, but I think most are hoping that they will also make existing lenses be fully compatible (including AF speed). I think it would be a bad move for both if they didn't as it will take years to release a lens lineup even close to what they have now, and they are already several years behind Sony in that regards too.
Why? The Canon EF mount was 30 years old last year, EF-S is 15 years old. Unlike Nikon Canon have stuck with one mount, no confusion of which series lenses work with which body, you just buy it, fit it and it works. It’s why so many pros use Canon, despite some people on this threads thoughts Canon actually know what they’re doing.

Last edited:
Why? The Canon EF mount was 30 years old last year, EF-S is 15 years old. Unlike Nikon Canon have stuck with one mount, no confusion of which series lenses work with which body, you just buy it, fit it and it works. It’s why so many pros use Canon, despite some people on this threads thoughts Canon actually know what they’re doing.
I'm not sure you understood my post properly tbh? But I thought Nikon F-mount has been going even longer, since the 1950's?

Thats pretty funny, current Nikons can still use their manual F mounts!

The F-mount was first introduced on the Nikon F camera in 1959

Last edited:
I'm not sure you understood my post properly tbh? But I thought Nikon F-mount has been going even longer, since the 1950's?
The Nikon F mount has been around longer than Canon’s EF mount. However there were three versions of the MF lens mount, I’ve lost track of how many AF lenses variants there are. Canon meanwhile used FL/FD until AF when they designed a better solution and stuck to it. In theory Nikon’s mount is still identical, but you can’t use them on modern bodies to any practical function. So I fail to see why a mirrorless FF from Canon means the will bring out a different mount? Sony had a blank canvas to design their lens mount, however as keeps being mentioned independent manufacturers obviously don’t feel it worthwhile to make lenses for Sony (yet) when Canon bring a mirrorless FF body out I expect it will give Sony something to think about.

The Nikon F mount has been around longer than Canon’s EF mount. However there were three versions of the MF lens mount, I’ve lost track of how many AF lenses variants there are. Canon meanwhile used FL/FD until AF when they designed a better solution and stuck to it. In theory Nikon’s mount is still identical, but you can’t use them on modern bodies to any practical function. So I fail to see why a mirrorless FF from Canon means the will bring out a different mount? Sony had a blank canvas to design their lens mount, however as keeps being mentioned independent manufacturers obviously don’t feel it worthwhile to make lenses for Sony (yet) when Canon bring a mirrorless FF body out I expect it will give Sony something to think about.

Are you sure, Im pretty sure a lot of Nikons vintage stuff meters etc just fine on the FF Nikon bodies?

I have four 600EXRT, I need something to set them off from the A73. I normally shoot manual with flash so as long the trigger can wirelessly adjust the settings on each flash head wirelessly it’ll do.

Not sure what combination of triggers receivers would do what you need but have you considered changing flashes. Personally I'd be getting rid of the Canon's and getting some Godox Vings & or AD200's

Back