The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The Nikon F mount has been around longer than Canon’s EF mount. However there were three versions of the MF lens mount, I’ve lost track of how many AF lenses variants there are. Canon meanwhile used FL/FD until AF when they designed a better solution and stuck to it. In theory Nikon’s mount is still identical, but you can’t use them on modern bodies to any practical function. So I fail to see why a mirrorless FF from Canon means the will bring out a different mount? Sony had a blank canvas to design their lens mount, however as keeps being mentioned independent manufacturers obviously don’t feel it worthwhile to make lenses for Sony (yet) when Canon bring a mirrorless FF body out I expect it will give Sony something to think about.
Vintage Nikon lenses work fine on modern cameras just as they did on the old 35mm film cameras. The mount has not changed, all that has is the tech e.g. AF systems, no different to Canon introducing USM instead of STM.

The reason why they will most likely have to change mount is due to the flange distance. DSLR's are just a digital version of SLRs, but the way they work is essentially the same and hence why they could use the same mount. Mirrorless is different hence the need for a different mount. Sony did not have a blank canvas, they had/have a-mount plus the legacy Minolta stuff but that was for DSLR/DSLT.

Are you sure, Im pretty sure a lot of Nikons vintage stuff meters etc just fine on the FF Nikon bodies?
The first F mount used an external pin to connect to the meter, the original AI mount had a projecting flange which replaced the half moon coupling, the AI-S gave the FA the ability to use PSAM modes. As far as I’m aware the only way to use any of these is as a manual aperture lens, so not very usable.

The first F mount used an external pin to connect to the meter, the original AI mount had a projecting flange which replaced the half moon coupling, the AI-S gave the FA the ability to use PSAM modes. As far as I’m aware the only way to use any of these is as a manual aperture lens, so not very usable.

Why not very usable? Because the user has to change aperture via the lens?

I believe it was actually the non AI lenses that had the pin, they then brought out AI lenses in 1977 and subsequently the AI-S lenses in 1981 which did then allow the camera to control the aperture. I personally don't see what the issue is with using a manual aperture lens (except in dark environments if you stop down a lot) but even if you take into account how long the AI-S lenses have been out this is still 37 years, which is still longer than Canon EF mount. Nikon's AF lenses have been around for 32 years this year, so still a year older than Canon ;)

Just shot the speeches there. Room was extremely dimly lit and the A7III destroys any dslr I've ever had. Never skipped a beat and sticks to its target like nothing I've ever seen bar the A9

Stop it.

Not sure what combination of triggers receivers would do what you need but have you considered changing flashes. Personally I'd be getting rid of the Canon's and getting some Godox Vings & or AD200's

Eh no, not on the cards. I need something that the Sony can trigger the canon or erm...nothing. I’ll stick with my 5D4 for OCF.

As in AF performance?
Nah it's actually not too bad just clunky with regards to getting the AF where you want it etc. Coming from an A9 and A7III is never gonna fare well using an A7R2 side by side

I could see it being an immense landscape camera. Focus isn't too bad but doesn't hold a candle to the A7III

It's a very slow camera but the sensor and image quality even at high iso is sensational

Eh no, not on the cards. I need something that the Sony can trigger the canon or erm...nothing. I’ll stick with my 5D4 for OCF.

The Godox sytem can be used on any system with an appropriate trigger so could be used on Sony or Canon or your Fuji. AD200s would be giving you more power if you ever find you are doubling up on the Canon's. Lithium batteries with fast recycle times. Quite a lot of benefits.

The Godox sytem can be used on any system with an appropriate trigger so could be used on Sony or Canon or your Fuji. AD200s would be giving you more power if you ever find you are doubling up on the Canon's. Lithium batteries with fast recycle times. Quite a lot of benefits.

Still no, I don’t need more flash heads or more power and I don’t want to change...I just want a trigger, don’t want to complicate things even more tbh.

Nah it's actually not too bad just clunky with regards to getting the AF where you want it etc. Coming from an A9 and A7III is never gonna fare well using an A7R2 side by side

I could see it being an immense landscape camera. Focus isn't too bad but doesn't hold a candle to the A7III
Have you tried the A7riii?

How would you rate the A7r2 against the D750 for CAF?
I wasn't really panning the actual af. My gripes are the 3.5 batteries I've used versus not even 1 yet in the A7III and it's slow and clunky as f##k (viewing images and general operation)

The focus points seem to be fairly accurate even away out of the centre.

Have you tried the A7riii?
No haven't tried it. 24mp is plenty I think for weddings. I got the A7RII for a good price brand new with the idea of using it sporadically when I need alot of detail or shooting landscapes

A7R2 as good as a d750
I've owned plenty of D750s and now have an R2

The D750 has far superior controls for adjusting the AF and getting exactly how you want it very fast

Whilst the R2 may have more points etc it isn't even close to good how you interact with the AF settings

Slow paced portraits etc id probably give the R2 the edge.

I've owned plenty of D750s and now have an R2

The D750 has far superior controls for adjusting the AF and getting exactly how you want it very fast

Whilst the R2 may have more points etc it isn't even close to good how you interact with the AF settings

Slow paced portraits etc id probably give the R2 the edge.
The settings the issue? How does it compare to AFC wide Vs the d750 equivalent? That's what twits is asking.

Why? The Canon EF mount was 30 years old last year, EF-S is 15 years old. Unlike Nikon Canon have stuck with one mount, no confusion of which series lenses work with which body, you just buy it, fit it and it works. It’s why so many pros use Canon, despite some people on this threads thoughts Canon actually know what they’re doing.

The only issue you're ever likely to run into is if you buy a camera without an AF motor, which is only really an issue with certain low end bodies, for virtually everybody including those pros you mention they're going to work with Nikon exactly the same as Canon.

The criticism of Canon is not that they don't know what they're doing, it's that they know exactly what they're doing at their customers expense.

Last edited:
:D tbf though I found the a7rii very good in AFS. I'm hoping the a7iii caf is a big step up... from what I've seen so far it probs is.
Even the A7riii is a big step up apparently, and the A7iii better still (y)

Back