The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Is this the Macro lens as it what on my shopping list next

Take your time pal lol well suppose you have..

Are you going to try the A7iii too along side it?

Nope. None of them left anywhere! Plus I have tried that one. If I like it I will contact Panamoz and arrange my discount and wait for my parcel!

You can link it on the a9 and set the size (I think), but no where does it say what the sizes are? I've not read up on the other models, perhaps someone knows?

I asked about this a week or so ago and didn't get any answers... Is the A9 the only current A7/9 camera that you can link the spot metering to the focus point with?

With my A7 spot metering is just in the centre or at least I can't see way way to move it but with being able to see the exposure in the EVF it isn't that much of an issue if the subject either with or without magnification is big enough in the frame as you can see it and add compensation as required but being able to have spot metering linked to the focus point (as it is with my Panny camera) could be a nice option.

Nope. None of them left anywhere! Plus I have tried that one. If I like it I will contact Panamoz and arrange my discount and wait for my parcel!

What didn't you like about the A7iii what confuse me if you didn't like that how you going like the A7riii :p

I asked about this a week or so ago and didn't get any answers... Is the A9 the only current A7/9 camera that you can link the spot metering to the focus point with?

With my A7 spot metering is just in the centre or at least I can't see way way to move it but with being able to see the exposure in the EVF it isn't that much of an issue if the subject either with or without magnification is big enough in the frame as you can see it and add compensation as required but being able to have spot metering linked to the focus point (as it is with my Panny camera) could be a nice option.

It's been possible since the a7rii... edit face and eye does, not af point.

Last edited:
@woof woof cool so this is taken from the a7iii info...

Tip: When [Spot] is selected and [Focus Area] is set to either [Flexible Spot] or [Expand Flexible Spot] while [Spot Metering Point] is set to [Focus Point Link], the spot metering point can be coordinated with the focus area.

Sooooo anyone with a 90mm FE, how noisy are they supposed to be?

The focus noise isn't so terrible (although on such an expensive lens I was expecting better) but the high pitch whine is hard to ignore, I assume it's a fault rather than just me being ocd about it?

If my ear is more than 1 foot from the lens I hear nothing. Close to the lens there is a very quiet whir. No high pitched whine.

Let me try on my a7r3.brb

Is this the Macro lens as it what on my shopping list next

Yup, there's a few posts about noise issues, from what I've gathered it should make a little noise but nothing too terrible and certainly no high pitched whine. Here's an overly long video with one guy getting something similar:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spgfapnMaxg

It sounds a bit like this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SirsG0cb4Ds
I think the normal drive noise sounds a little better on mine but the whine stands out more. I made a video of it but for some reason youtube refuses to process it.

So going to get it replaced, hopefully they won't take too long as I'd wanted to use it soon.

This came up on the previous page.

Here are details on A7RIII
http://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1710/v1/en/contents/TP0001211747.html

Tip: When [Spot] is selected and [Focus Area] is set to either [Flexible Spot] or [Expand Flexible Spot] while [Spot Metering Point] is set to [Focus Point Link], the spot metering point can be coordinated with the focus area.
It’s almost as bad as legal language isn’t it :LOL:

I know that it’s only DXO lab scores but that Sony 100-400mm looks impressive. Combined with the A7rii it gets 36mpix sharpness compared to 24 for the Canon 100-400mm L IS II on the 5dsr :eek:

Last edited:
I know that it’s only DXO lab scores but that Sony 100-400mm looks impressive. Combined with the A7rii it gets 36mpix sharpness compared to 24 for the Canon 100-400mm L IS II on the 5dsr :eek:

Yup, it’s super sharp.
Have a look at Dan’s phots posted earlier. :)

Question is - 70-200 or 100-400? I have a feeling the 70-200 will be more useable, but it's a bit annoying that the f4 can't utilise the TC. Cheers, Sony.

I went the FE 70-200mm f2.8 GM route along side the 1.4x TC, more usable for events / wedding work in my case.
I have also owned and used the f4 version and that itself is a super sharp lens, can crop a lot without losing too much sharpness.
Guess it comes down to if you need f2.8 and the outlay.

I have also lusted after the FE 100-400mm f4.5 - 5.6 GM including other lenses for my collection but that is purely down to Sony GAS.

FE 35mm f2.8 or 1.8 if they released it
FE 50mm f1.4 GM if they released it
FE 135mm f1.8 GM if they released it
FE 105mm f2.8 GM Macro
FE 100-400mm f4.5 - 5.6 GM

I know it can be linked I was more interested in the coverage, I.e 1.5%?

:)

I went the FE 70-200mm f2.8 GM route along side the 1.4x TC, more usable for events / wedding work in my case.
I have also owned and used the f4 version and that itself is a super sharp lens, can crop a lot without losing too much sharpness.

I have also lusted after the FE 100-400mm f4.5 - 5.6 GM including other lenses for my collection but that is purely down to Sony GAS.

FE 105mm f2.8 GM Macro

I know we keep going back and forth but 50mm/1.4 Zeiss is the GM equivalent :p

Just a quick question. I will be shooting a lot in CAF tracking horses but then sometimes switching to people. Is it really easy to change from CAF to eye AF? Is it just about assigning a button to do so?

I did not really delve in to the menus that much when I tested and with D750 it’s just easy to set up for action as was just using 9 point fixed AF point (as found 3d tracking average at best) but the Sony looks to have many more tracking options!!!

Also - the screen and screen surround on the A7R3 - exactly same size as A9?

Last edited:

FE 105mm f2.8 GM Macro

Have you tried the Samyang 35mm 2.8?

@JJ!

Yes you can use Eye af very easy what ever mode your in. By default the centre button on the wheel at back hold it in while tracking a human it will pick up the eye.

If you were always changing settings it still easier on the d750 much easier

Last edited:
Have you tried the Samyang 35mm 2.8?
Very very similar IQ wise to the Sony 35mm f2.8. Cheaper build but still well made, Slightly noisy when focusing but nothing ear shattering. May be a problem if you do video but I dont. For the cost (£229) from Parks when they had it on offer I couldn't really justify the more expensive Sony. I have used it occasionally when wandering around towns and wanted a more discreet camera set up. It does the job and I am really chuffed with it.

Why? What difference does it make? its just a label.
Considering cost, build, IQ are all GM level I don't understand why you care so much for how its labelled by Sony :confused::confused::confused:

The G Masters are better designed and produce a different look compared to the other lenses within the Sony line-up.
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/g-master-lenses
Sony use a 0.01-micron designed iXA (extreme asphl) lens elements. That's some precision!

But yes, I do like the branding and also perfer the AF-Hold button on the GM's

@JJ!

Yes you can use Eye af very easy what ever mode your in. By default the centre button on the wheel at back hold it in while tracking a human it will pick up the eye.

If you were always changing settings it still easier on the d750 much easier
So what's the process of changing AF mode? I liked just being able to press the AF button and then rotating the front and rear dials to change AF mode, can't you set up the A7 to do something similar?

Does anyone know if there are any decent 3rd party batteries available for the A7Riii and A7iii. Sony's battery is listed as £75. I am just wondering if Expro or a n other do a decent equivalent. I cant seem to find anything on line though.... Any suggestions?

The G Masters are better designed and produce a different look compared to the other lenses within the Sony line-up.
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/g-master-lenses
Sony use a 0.01-micron designed iXA (extreme asphl) lens elements. That's some precision!

But yes, I do like the branding and also perfer the AF-Hold button on the GM's

That's a bunch of marketing talk on Sony website and AF-hold button has nothing to do with GM

And rendering is subjective, I'd prefer Zeiss lenses and that 50mm is probably the best in it's class. It's better that GM :p

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there are any decent 3rd party batteries available for the A7Riii and A7iii. Sony's battery is listed as £75. I am just wondering if Expro or a n other do a decent equivalent. I cant seem to find anything on line though.... Any suggestions?

Personally I would stick to the Sony Z batteries as they are pretty new, not sure if 3rd party batteries are available yet. a £2000-3000 body is a pretty big investment to go boom if a non-Sony battery blew up! :eek:
You can get them for £67.50 from WEX using code BATTERY0318 but you may have to wait for stock. Most places are out.
To be fair, the new Z series batteries are very under ated, I could easily do a will days shoot with just one battery with juice left over.

That's a bunch of marketing talk on Sony website and AF-hold button has nothing to do with GM

And rendering is subjective, I'd prefer Zeiss lenses and that 50mm is probably the best in it's class. It's better that GM :p
There is no 50mm f1.4 GM, so yes its better but only by default! lol

Well I just learnt my friend who bough a a7iii same day as me as we were together. Sold it yesterday going to a D850 he just prefer the control the ovf and the grip of the D-SLR for his shooting style. Said EVF started hurt his eyes after a while.

Back