The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

There is no 50mm f1.4 GM, so yes its better but only by default! lol
Not by default it's better that other 50mm in the same class. It's hard to think how GM could make it better apart from fulfilling your label collection :D

Last edited:
So what's the process of changing AF mode? I liked just being able to press the AF button and then rotating the front and rear dials to change AF mode, can't you set up the A7 to do something similar?

Yes pretty much same

Press c3 and move the front wheel

Very very similar IQ wise to the Sony 35mm f2.8. Cheaper build but still well made, Slightly noisy when focusing but nothing ear shattering. May be a problem if you do video but I dont. For the cost (£229) from Parks when they had it on offer I couldn't really justify the more expensive Sony. I have used it occasionally when wandering around towns and wanted a more discreet camera set up. It does the job and I am really chuffed with it.

I also have the Samyang Lens Station so have been able to update the Firmware on the lens as and when necessary... I have loaned the lens station out to a couple of people on here too so that they can update their firmware... Happy to do so to others if needed,

Well I just learnt my friend who bough a a7iii same day as me as we were together. Sold it yesterday going to a D850 he just prefer the control the ovf and the grip of the D-SLR for his shooting style. Said EVF started hurt his eyes after a while.

Didn’t give it long? Swapping complete systems is going to take a lot of time to fully get to grips with, everything will be different!

Well I just learnt my friend who bough a a7iii same day as me as we were together. Sold it yesterday going to a D850 he just prefer the control the ovf and the grip of the D-SLR for his shooting style. Said EVF started hurt his eyes after a while.

I fully expect my mate to do the same. He’s a small guy but used to shooting with a d700 and d810. He dipped his toe into Fuji but couldn’t adjust to the size and controls. He’s finally buckled and ordered an a7iii but I think he’ll struggle with the transition.

Personally I would stick to the Sony Z batteries as they are pretty new, not sure if 3rd party batteries are available yet. a £2000-3000 body is a pretty big investment to go boom if a non-Sony battery blew up! :eek:
You can get them for £67.50 from WEX using code BATTERY0318 but you may have to wait for stock. Most places are out.
To be fair, the new Z series batteries are very under ated, I could easily do a will days shoot with just one battery with juice left over.

Thanks for this.. Perhaps I will just get one off of Amazon Prime and be done with it.

Last edited:
Didn’t give it long? Swapping complete systems is going to take a lot of time to fully get to grips with, everything will be different!

He didn’t

He kept all his lens just sold d750 as he know if wasn’t happy he get D850

He felt for his big hands control buttons all in wrong places. As we know Nikon have them nicely places near top screen. He prefer the way iso etc can be altered on the Nikon over the Sony he already taken 4000 images on it. Done 3 paid jobs

You will always get people preferring OVF over EVF, the EVF in the Sony A7 III isnt Sony's best EVF and some do report of niggles. Just one of those things.

He could have turned the EVF brightness down? :eek:

Said he had it at lowest settling. He prefer the natural of the ovf.

He doesn’t need see what the image like he bloody brilliant he just walk where he goes and easily knows what settings he need be in

The biggest thing is the top screen

He didn’t

He kept all his lens just sold d750 as he know if wasn’t happy he get D850

He felt for his big hands control buttons all in wrong places. As we know Nikon have them nicely places near top screen. He prefer the way iso etc can be altered on the Nikon over the Sony he already taken 4000 images on it. Done 3 paid jobs

He should have got the Sony A7R III and Grip as that is more comparable to the Nikon D850 and its got the better EVF!
Personally I don't think he gave the Sony a long enough run to adapt and get used to it.

He should have got the Sony A7R III and Grip as that is more comparable to the Nikon D850 and its got the better EVF!
Personally I don't think he gave the Sony a long enough run to adapt and get used to it.

Well he need be confidence as can’t cock up a paid job.

He knows a few who gone back to D-SLR.

The biggest thing is the top screen
Top screens are useful tbh

Not everyone's going to like or prefer Sony :p

Well he need be confidence as can’t cock up a paid job.

He knows a few who gone back to D-SLR.
That's why I said he should have given the Sony body some time to get used to the differences, he clearly didn't and he decided it wasn't for him... back to Brickon.
Like @snerkler said, not everybody is going to like or prefer the Sony but you'd think a person would do enough research and hands-on time to make a reasonable choice. :)

Hopefully he didn't make too much of a loss on the Sony.

Last edited:
Not by default it's better that other 50mm in the same class. It's hard to think how GM could make it better apart from fulfilling your label collection :D
You know Sony, they always try and push the bar higher and higher.... perhaps they will being out a FE 50mm f1.2 GM beast? :eek:

That's why I said he should have given the Sony body some time to get used to the differences, he clearly didn't and he decided it wasn't for him... back to Brickon.
Like @snerkler said, not everybody is going to like or prefer the Sony but you'd think a person would do enough research and hands-on time to make a reasonable choice. :)

Wow riz, some real fanboy responses from you. The guy didnt like or feel confident with it so dumped it.

I fully expect my mate to do the same. He’s a small guy but used to shooting with a d700 and d810. He dipped his toe into Fuji but couldn’t adjust to the size and controls. He’s finally buckled and ordered an a7iii but I think he’ll struggle with the transition.

To be fair I think I will struggle at first as well adapted to Nikon set ups. But looking forward to learning the camera!

Wow riz, some real fanboy responses from you. The guy didnt like or feel confident with it so dumped it.
Come'on, he had it for what 2-3 weeks? You'd would have thought doing some research prior to buying it would have been a good move.
He didn't get on with it, fair enough but I am just trying to add balance to the discussion that you can't always write something off in 2-3 weeks, especially if you haven't built up your confidence levels to trust the kit. :)

To be fair I think I will struggle at first as well adapted to Nikon set ups. But looking forward to learning the camera!
Give it a chance but equally as mentioned by others, if its not for you then you can always go back to Brickon :D

Doesn’t 4000 images mean anything bet you didn’t take that many in a week

No lost at all. He kept all Nikon glasses

Come'on, he had it for what 2-3 weeks? You'd would have thought doing some research prior to buying it would have been a good move.
He didn't get on with it, fair enough but I am just trying to add balance to the discussion that you can't always write something off in 2-3 weeks, especially if you haven't built up your confidence levels to trust the kit. :)

yes but 2-3 weeks of solid use perhaps. not 2-3 weeks looking at it through the cabinet glass.

yes its "hashtagpickonrizday"

Wrong, how would research tell him about the EVF and the handling!? Sometimes kit just doesn't gel, no point in trying to find excuses for the Sony.

It took me over a year to get use to the Sony systems compared to my canon DSLR

You know Sony, they always try and push the bar higher and higher.... perhaps they will being out a FE 50mm f1.2 GM beast? :eek:

I haven't seen Sony push the boundary in optics, I think canon and nikon are more innovative in this area.
Not saying Sony can't design good glass, sure they can but I don't see any innovation in them like with their bodies. All the glass sony has produced had been previous done and dusted.

Though this is hardly surprising because Sony is an electronics company historically and not really a optics company

i took that many yesterday

He doesn’t take picture for sake of it lol.

Each to their own. He said it a nice camera but work flow not for him.

Wrong, how would research tell him about the EVF and the handling!? Sometimes kit just doesn't gel, no point in trying to find excuses for the Sony.
I disagree, testing it out at the show and in-store would have been part of the research process, if your not sure then run two systems side by side, that would have been a more professional choice!
Continue to do your paid work with the Nikon D750 and get used to the Sony A7 III in the meantime....... seems like a risk which didn't pay off in this case.

Although I can be accused of buying without fully testing products in the past, with my last 2 systems I tested them enough to make an informed decision, like I and @snerkler said previously, it wasn't for him.

End of discussion.....

Last edited:
Back