The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The difficulty of birds in flight, is not to get them in focus - it's to actually create a good photograph, well composed, good light etc..

I have so many birds in flight shots now, but it's hard to actually find any that would make the grade of 'acceptable' when it comes to things like composition and what I think is a good wing shape.. why can't the A9 do that for me.

Heron by dancook1982, on Flickr
it doesn't have the tec yet, maybe the A9iii

Not much in it really!!
Exactly. If the AF is nearly as good as the D850 then it's good enough for me.

F*** you paypal. Put my account on hold due to me selling over a certain amount money.

A7R3 on hold whilst I have to 'identify' myself. ITS MY MONEY YOU t***s. GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
That sucks :LOL:

missed focus on eye, but i don't care so much that I'll bin it.

DoTD by dancook1982, on Flickr
Lol, looks plenty sharp enough to me

They're looking good these bird pics, are they cropped at all?

The difficulty of birds in flight, is not to get them in focus - it's to actually create a good photograph, well composed, good light etc..

I have so many birds in flight shots now, but it's hard to actually find any that would make the grade of 'acceptable' when it comes to things like composition and what I think is a good wing shape.. why can't the A9 do that for me.
TBH the biggest issue I have is seeing the bird, putting the camera up to my eye and then trying to find the damn thing through the viewfinder. 600mm is a completely different perspective to looking with the naked eye :LOL:

Sony A7R III down by £200.... £2999, not sure if a price drop is incoming.

https://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/pd/sony-alpha-a7r-mark-iii-digital-camera-body_ilce7rm3
That's the one I've had my grubby mits on, anything I touch instantly devalues ;) It would be nice if Sony did a double cash back offer now whilst they had this offer too ;)

Spoke to my mate who ordered the a73 from Harrison’s. He called them up as the money had been taken out of his account. They confirmed that they take full payment to confirm the order and not on dispatch like jessops etc.

I wonder if they have a cash flow issue. £1,700+ on multiple orders with no concrete fulfillment date. That’s a lot of risk

Spoke to my mate who ordered the a73 from Harrison’s. He called them up as the money had been taken out of his account. They confirmed that they take full payment to confirm the order and not on dispatch like jessops etc.

I wonder if they have a cash flow issue. £1,700+ on multiple orders with no concrete fulfillment date. That’s a lot of risk

Harrison's? Nope.

I got told Sony is favouring upfront payments and that's how the dealer gets guaranteed stock from the next batch for their customers. Remember, worldwide shortage.

Early April.

Last edited:

you need this ;) - https://www.dpreview.com/news/50852...-the-artistic-style-of-one-photo-onto-another

Well this is annoying, just got a shiny new 90mm FE lens and it has a really annoying high pitched whine when focusing, happens with OSS on or off and in AF or manual.

More time and money wasted...

Harrison's? Nope.

I got told Sony is favouring upfront payments and that's how the dealer gets guaranteed stock from the next batch for their customers. Remember, worldwide shortage.

Early April.

Wilkinson’s rather.

I get the shortage issue. Always thought there was a card scheme rule that distance selling merchants should charge on dispatch.

There is a "cough" discussion going on in another thread about metering, it got me thinking since I have a slight obsession with meters and metering, the 1DX2 has linked spot meter to AF point as does the a9, it's meter covers 1.5% of the viewfinder, thus I thought I wonder what the meters coverage is in the a9? I see Sony show it as STANDARD or LARGE? So how big is then...? I know the Sony boffins will say its... STANDARD or LARGE :LOL:

There is a "cough" discussion going on in another thread about metering, it got me thinking since I have a slight obsession with meters and metering, the 1DX2 has linked spot meter to AF point as does the a9, it's meter covers 1.5% of the viewfinder, thus I thought I wonder what the meters coverage is in the a9? I see Sony show it as STANDARD or LARGE? So how big is then...? I know the Sony boffins will say its... STANDARD or LARGE :LOL:
That's a point, is spot metering linked to the AF point or is it centre only on the latest Alpha models (A7iii, A7Riii, A9), and on wide (or matrix or whatever Sony call it) is there still some bias to the AF point. In wide on my Nikon I wish you could turn of AF bias for landscapes as it can really mess up the metering/exposure, and then turn it back on for everything else.

Wilkinson’s rather.

I get the shortage issue. Always thought there was a card scheme rule that distance selling merchants should charge on dispatch.

More in terms of contract is formed when payment (consideration) is taken and as a retailer it might be prudent to hold that off until later because if it’s a misprice, you can always say there was no contract formed as yet and can cancel the order, instead of taking the hit.

There are lots of small prints and caveats of course.

That's the one I've had my grubby mits on, anything I touch instantly devalues ;) It would be nice if Sony did a double cash back offer now whilst they had this offer too ;)
If Sony does cash back deals I may give in to GAS :(

:eek:

That's a point, is spot metering linked to the AF point or is it centre only on the latest Alpha models (A7iii, A7Riii, A9), and on wide (or matrix or whatever Sony call it) is there still some bias to the AF point. In wide on my Nikon I wish you could turn of AF bias for landscapes as it can really mess up the metering/exposure, and then turn it back on for everything else.

You can link it on the a9 and set the size (I think), but no where does it say what the sizes are? I've not read up on the other models, perhaps someone knows?

Exactly right. I’m deleting lots of my initial BIF pics for this reason. It takes a lot more planning and time to get well framed image BIF plus landscape.

Just been trying out some 84-85mb sample RAWs from the A7riii and I'm amazed at how quickly it loaded into Lightroom. I expected it to get bogged down, but I imported 15 images and it took no time at all, and I build 1:1's on import. Another potential issue is actually a none issue for me (y)

Just been trying out some 84-85mb sample RAWs from the A7riii and I'm amazed at how quickly it loaded into Lightroom. I expected it to get bogged down, but I imported 15 images and it took no time at all, and I build 1:1's on import. Another potential issue is actually a none issue for me (y)

Toby, if you are not an evf fan would it not be better to get the D850 and use you existing Nikon glass?

Toby, if you are not an evf fan would it not be better to get the D850 and use you existing Nikon glass?
I've never said that I'm not an EVF fan just that I prefer the look of looking through optics, but I also said that I like some of the advantages of EVFs.

It is a bit of a 'dilemma' tbh. Yes I could stick with what I have in. the D750 and EM1, and I've been really happy with them. No they're not perfect, and I do find the AF spread of the D750 limiting at times, but at the end of the day both are cracking cameras.

I do admit that I have an itch though, and I do like trying new stuff. I know that it won't improve my images, but it's sometimes nice to have something new and different to play with ;) I've been back and forth with both the A7Riii and D850. The A7Riii would allow me to have a one camera setup, will deliver stellar IQ and 'should' be good enough in terms of AF. I'm hoping that it will lighten the load in certain situations due to the extra res and cropping, so I could use a 100-400mm instead of my current 150-600mm for example. The only possible negatives that I can foresee is the balance with larger lenses (and the effect the shallower grip has on this too), but not having had the chance to try this I can't comment for sure. And of course whether AF is truly good enough.

I could get the D850, and when this first got announced it was a camera that I seriously wanted. However, as I've mentioned previously I've been using my EM1 more of late (due to holidays) and have really enjoyed using it over the D750. Now I know that the A7Riii isn't as nice as the EM1 ergonomically, but if it's not far off and for general stuff the weight isn't too dissimilar then the A7riii is appealing, and the D850 less so. The other negatives of the D850 are the price of the XQD cards, they are very expensive. I know that the Nikon has the advantage of lossless compression so I wouldn't need as much storage on the XQD cards, but 64GB xqd card is £110, vs £36 for a 64gb Sandisk Extreme Pro CD card. Also, I'm unsure of the future of XQD cards. The other disadvantage of the D850 is that I would still need a two camera setup, meaning that I wouldn't have FF for travel. Advantages of the D850 over what I have now is the high res for cropping, stellar IQ, wider AF spread and better buffer. Oh just thought of another disadvantage of the D850, the grip is £350 (similar for the Sony one although I'm sure there's 3rd party ones for each) and then you need the charger at £190 and the batteries at £170 each if you want to get the full frame rate from it :eek:

So there you have it, that's my full thought processes at the moment. I am seriously leaning towards the Sony at the moment due to having FF for everything, the possibility of having a lighter package at times, and scratching the itch at trying a new system ;)

I've never said that I'm not an EVF fan just that I prefer the look of looking through optics, but I also said that I like some of the advantages of EVFs.

It is a bit of a 'dilemma' tbh. Yes I could stick with what I have in. the D750 and EM1, and I've been really happy with them. No they're not perfect, and I do find the AF spread of the D750 limiting at times, but at the end of the day both are cracking cameras.

I do admit that I have an itch though, and I do like trying new stuff. I know that it won't improve my images, but it's sometimes nice to have something new and different to play with ;) I've been back and forth with both the A7Riii and D850. The A7Riii would allow me to have a one camera setup, will deliver stellar IQ and 'should' be good enough in terms of AF. I'm hoping that it will lighten the load in certain situations due to the extra res and cropping, so I could use a 100-400mm instead of my current 150-600mm for example. The only possible negatives that I can foresee is the balance with larger lenses (and the effect the shallower grip has on this too), but not having had the chance to try this I can't comment for sure. And of course whether AF is truly good enough.

I could get the D850, and when this first got announced it was a camera that I seriously wanted. However, as I've mentioned previously I've been using my EM1 more of late (due to holidays) and have really enjoyed using it over the D750. Now I know that the A7Riii isn't as nice as the EM1 ergonomically, but if it's not far off and for general stuff the weight isn't too dissimilar then the A7riii is appealing, and the D850 less so. The other negatives of the D850 are the price of the XQD cards, they are very expensive. I know that the Nikon has the advantage of lossless compression so I wouldn't need as much storage on the XQD cards, but 64GB xqd card is £110, vs £36 for a 64gb Sandisk Extreme Pro CD card. Also, I'm unsure of the future of XQD cards. The other disadvantage of the D850 is that I would still need a two camera setup, meaning that I wouldn't have FF for travel. Advantages of the D850 over what I have now is the high res for cropping, stellar IQ, wider AF spread and better buffer. Oh just thought of another disadvantage of the D850, the grip is £350 (similar for the Sony one although I'm sure there's 3rd party ones for each) and then you need the charger at £190 and the batteries at £170 each if you want to get the full frame rate from it :eek:

So there you have it, that's my full thought processes at the moment. I am seriously leaning towards the Sony at the moment due to having FF for everything, the possibility of having a lighter package at times, and scratching the itch at trying a new system ;)

Cool. As you were.

Photokina is only just over 5 months away. I expect we will have details of Nikon FF mirrorless by then.
I’m impressed by the Sony’s but will and see what Photokina brings.

So to sum it up.your ordering a a7r3

Check a few pages back. I’m waiting for my PayPal balance to be un-held!

Saw that so you going for the A7r3 without trying one first?

Trying tomorrow my friend!

Take your time pal lol well suppose you have..

Are you going to try the A7iii too along side it?

Sooooo anyone with a 90mm FE, how noisy are they supposed to be?

The focus noise isn't so terrible (although on such an expensive lens I was expecting better) but the high pitch whine is hard to ignore, I assume it's a fault rather than just me being ocd about it?

Back