The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I am one of the idiots that moans that the bodies are too big :D
I much prefer the the first A7 version body which was nice and small/light. Before someone mentions I don't care for IBIS, I moved from a-mount which had IBIS to sony e-mount which didn't have IBIS. So Sony can take their IBIS and shove it...
I am hoping canon/nikon will come out with an A7 sized FF mirrorless. I will be jumping ship if they do... (and of course they need to have decent eye-AF like sony)

I hope they don't bring out smaller bodies, or at least if they do they also have decent grips to improve the handling.

I hope they don't bring out smaller bodies, or at least if they do they also have decent grips to improve the handling.

Having a decent grip and small body isn't mutually exclusive. Though I never had problem with original A7.

TBH there are very few bodies I can't get used to easily as long as they have two dials and an EVF.
IMO people moan too much about this stuff, anyone reading it would think it's impossible to use these bodies :D

Last edited:
Having a decent grip and small body isn't mutually exclusive. Though I never had problem with original A7.

TBH there are very few bodies I can't get used to easily as long as they have two dials and an EVF.
IMO people moan too much about this stuff, anyone reading it would think it's impossible to use these bodies :D

It's not impossible, but it can be uncomfortable :D

I have to agree, although the A7 II or III grips are better it isn’t a deal breaker for me, I tend to use battery grips most of the time.

I actually think Sony should keep the smaller sized A7 body and update it with newer technology. Perhaps change the name to a A6.... I am thinking similar to the A7 III but without the grip, IBIS and certain other features so they can price it around £1200 mark.

:D

NEVER sell anything!

I usually do, it’s how my brain copes with buying new stuff, have to sell or replace something otherwise I’d end up with too much gadgets / electronic goods.
Next up for the chop is my Nintendo Switch collection :D but not going to replace it.

Or A7RIII which I think makes more sense if you already have an A9

Thats like saying he should carry a D750 and a D850?

Its an additional 1200 quid for an inferior AF system and more MPs. A7iii vs A7riii.

Workflow wise it definitely makes sense.

Last edited:
Thats like saying he should carry a D750 and a D850?

Its an additional 1200 quid for an inferior AF system and more MPs. A7iii vs A7riii.

Workflow wise it definitely makes sense.

No that's like saying he should carry a D5 and D850 :p

You also get better EVF and since he already has A9 anything else will be inferior anyway. Besides it's not like A7RIII is bad just that AF in A7III is better.

No that's like saying he should carry a D5 and D850 :p

You also get better EVF and since he already has A9 anything else will be inferior anyway. Besides it's not like A7RIII is bad just that AF in A7III is better.

Slightly better EVF and LCD vs Larger AF area with loads more phase points and same process in post, £1200 (with discounts more like £1450) in back pocket, tough choice.

Slightly better EVF and LCD vs Larger AF area with loads more phase points and same process in post, £1200 (with discounts more like £1450) in back pocket, tough choice.

Why would post be any different for A7RIII? :thinking:

That sensor is worth the extra :D

I promise myself to get only 35/50/85 prime and be done with it...I do like that 105 but it is a lot of cash...I’m not even sure 100% Sony will be the future of Canon brings out something equal this year or the next. I would expect a lot of people will be going back if that happens.

But that eye af with 105/1.4..it is a must really with that dof. Best with native mount too.

I promise myself to get only 35/50/85 prime and be done with it...I do like that 105 but it is a lot of cash...I’m not even sure 100% Sony will be the future of Canon brings out something equal this year or the next. I would expect a lot of people will be going back if that happens.

But that eye af with 105/1.4..it is a must really with that dof. Best with native mount too.
Maybe best to wait till canon announce something but I think you have a better chance of winning the lottery then canon releasing ff mirrorless with new mount and those primes with eye af within a year

I find this interesting...... I love the D750 BUT.... 90% and the only place its "better according to DPR is...

Build, Id argue otherwise after owning a lot of D750 cameras.
Ergonomics, again, I really love the D750 but I like both very much, the A7iii has a lot of customisable buttons which probably works in its favour. D750 better with long lenses though.
Viewfinder, OVF is better in harsh light, clarity, dynamic range, its just better... otherwise EVF.

The interesting thing is it beats the D750 score in a LOT of key areas that matter. How the F did it score 1% lower.

... and you all know I like the Nikon. The scores make no sense as the A7iii performs better in pretty much every way.

I usually do, it’s how my brain copes with buying new stuff, have to sell or replace something otherwise I’d end up with too much gadgets / electronic goods.
Next up for the chop is my Nintendo Switch collection :D but not going to replace it.
I do the same. I don't regret selling everything but there are a couple of things I do miss.

I've sold my GX7 in preparation for buying a GX9.

I just don't understand this or any of the badge stuff. If Canon bring out something equal who cares? Just use the equal thing you have already plus if Canon are true to recent form whatever they bring out will be hobbled at some point. I don't usually care about badges and brands but form is something to think about and in Canon's recent history they have form for complacency and hobbling product and that just could put me off. At least Sony is throwing the kitchen sink at us.

I just don't understand this or any of the badge stuff. If Canon bring out something equal who cares? Just use the equal thing you have already plus if Canon are true to recent form whatever they bring out will be hobbled at some point. I don't usually care about badges and brands but form is something to think about and in Canon's recent history they have form for complacency and hobbling product and that just could put me off. At least Sony is throwing the kitchen sink at us.

I care because I have a lot of glass, flash and accessories. If they brings out something equal I wouldn't need to change systems.

I admire Sony's effort at throwing the kitchen sink but they had to if they want market share, Canon don't need to because they have market share. I like the competition but as a consumer, I am not here to switch back and forth because one is better than the other. I don't consider myself switched over to Sony, I just happen to have 1 Sony body with my Canon glass that's all.

It's not about badge, it's about the glass.

Back