The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

As you guys buy more last night I was thinking of selling or giving away most of my stuff and keeping just a few lenses, 17mm, 35, 50 and 85 or 135mm and possibly my 50mm macro.

As you guys buy more last night I was thinking of selling or giving away most of my stuff and keeping just a few lenses, 17mm, 35, 50 and 85 or 135mm and possibly my 50mm macro.

I only have 2 lenses at the moment with a possible purchase of 1 more to complete.

Im sure it will, never really regretted buying any Sigma Art lenses.

All native AF modes are there.

Wide
Zone
Center
Flexible Spot
Expanded Flexi Spot
Lock on AF: All modes
The 35mm sigma art i have is sensational and one of my fav lenses for my canon

I only have 2 lenses at the moment with a possible purchase of 1 more to complete.

You'll never be complete... You may think you will but then that nice new thing gets announced and you know you need it.

You'll never be complete... You may think you will but then that nice new thing gets announced and you know you need it.

3 focal lengths, 1 of each will do, whatever system Im on its overkill anyway, could use just 35mm.

this makes Sigma 35mm ART kinda attractive. Just realised Sigma 35mm ART and also samyang 35mm/1.4 have 67mm filter thread which is same as my other lenses. FE35 is 72mm :(
I will see if a stepdown ring works nicely with FE35 first, if not I may replace it with one of the other two :eek:

And not have 5x 35mm lenses?....

And not have 5x 35mm lenses?....
5? I have more than 5 at the mo.

I'm just thinking of keeping the best of each focal length be it Rokkor, Zuiko, FD or other and selling the rest. The thing is though that I think it might be worth holding onto the lot for now as prices for good old lenses do seem to be rising with the popularity of mirrorless cameras and if and when Canon and Nikon do bring out even half way worthwhile mirrorless cameras I'm expecting all the Canikon users who to date have said that mirrorless is crap and manual lenses are pointless to instantly buy a Canikon mirrorless and rush out and buy up any decent manual lenses, forcing the prices up.

Another problems is how do I decided what's "best" to keep? Most characterful? Sharpest? Best / most characterful bokeh?

Yeah, pretty much, they are so close together I could've avoided the 50 though, got it for a good price and wanted to check the FE Arts out anyway so meh.
The thing with 50mm is that it's arguably a good do it all choice and if you only have 35 and 85 there will be times when you know you'll miss having a 50.

Shooting at gigs is the thing that springs to my mind as I used to do a lot of it and a 50mm f1.4 would do nicely.

Be interested to see side by side comparisons of the fe mount vs canon + MC11. I’m struggling to see the justification in selling a canon mount and spending an additional £3/400 to get the FE version
You can just get the canon mount converted by sigma for £240 and sell your mc-11 for £140. That'd make the switch £100, not £3/400

Or sell the canon mount + mc-11 for £500-600 and buy the Sony mount for £650.

Last edited:
Be interested to see side by side comparisons of the fe mount vs canon + MC11. I’m struggling to see the justification in selling a canon mount and spending an additional £3/400 to get the FE version

But you're not factoring in the cost of the adapter which is £200 so not quite fair. The Canon is £600 plus the cost of adapter is £200.

The Canon is worth around £400 used, the Sigma is £650 new, £250 to change in your position, sell the MC11 and it'll cost you about £100 to change.

A bit more tempting although I still need the MC11 for a Sigma Sport lens that I have. I wonder whether the performance would differ much after the conversion?
From what @twist says it's better. I believe he once had mc-11+35mm art so may be he can comment?

I imagine they'll eventually announce the sport lens in e-mount too

Last edited:
But you're not factoring in the cost of the adapter which is £200 so not quite fair. The Canon is £600 plus the cost of adapter is £200.

The Canon is worth around £400 used, the Sigma is £650 new, £250 to change in your position, sell the MC11 and it'll cost you about £100 to change.

I wasn’t meaning to compare between buying a canon mount and MC11 against buying FE. I already own the Canon EF version and the MC11. It was more about what is the benefit in selling the canon mount and buying the FE mount.

As to conversions, that is more tempting, however I’m not sure where you got the price from. Having looked on the Sigma website, the only choices seem to be Sony DSLR not mirrorless. Given that the physical lens is a different design/shape, I’m not convinced that the conversion would be possible.

I wasn’t meaning to compare between buying a canon mount and MC11 against buying FE. I already own the Canon EF version and the MC11. It was more about what is the benefit in selling the canon mount and buying the FE mount.

As to conversions, that is more tempting, however I’m not sure where you got the price from. Having looked on the Sigma website, the only choices seem to be Sony DSLR not mirrorless. Given that the physical lens is a different design/shape, I’m not convinced that the conversion would be possible.

I am pretty sure there was a note during release time saying they'd offer the mount conversion. the website will eventually be updated i imagine.

Even if mount conversion is not available you can easily sell canon mount version for £400 and get sony for £650 which is effectively the same price.
conversely if the mc-11 route is working for you why fix something that's not broken ;)

I never mentioned conversion.

I never mentioned conversion.
It was nandbytes post that mentioned conversion. It was the bit in bold that I was quoting and saying that I was looking at buying the canon + MC11, I already have them. My point was more around what would the benefit be in selling the canon EF and buying the Sony FE

Last edited:
That’s the risk of 3red party lenses, and it’s not going to be fixed unless the lens’ firmware is updated. Sigma lenses are fine but unless Tamron makes a dock, you need to send it back.

as per original release text from tamron 28-75mm lens shouldn't need a dock to be firmware updated. e-mount supports firmware update via. the camera body so if the lens is 'fully native' like tamron claimed it was then no dock required or will be produced.

reference - https://www.dpreview.com/news/98067...m-f-2-8-di-iii-rxd-lens-for-sony-fe-costs-800
point 7 - "Camera-based lens unit firmware updates"

Last edited:
as per original release text from tamron 28-75mm lens shouldn't need a dock to be firmware updated. e-mount supports firmware update via. the camera body so if the lens is 'fully native' like tamron claimed it was then no dock required or will be produced.

Yeah but who wants to wait around for a firmware fix to an issue they haven't even acknowledged yet?

Don't get me wrong, I still think we're at the too little information stage but this is where a sensible company would step in and reassure people of what's actually going on, don't know how many pre-orders they've lost because of it and the worst case will mean an awful lot of returns for what could/should have very easily been a big win for them.

I genuinely believe the new Sigma 35 renders the Zeiss 35 irrelevant. Hear nothing but complaints about it. Had a friend that has had 2 copies now which were duds too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Between the Sigma 35 and the Canon L, I picked the Canon.

Between the Zeiss and the Sigma, I picked the Sigma lol

The MK2 Canon is meant to be excellent but I ain't buying anything Canon to have to adapt.

Had a nightmare changing to Canon just before Xmas. Shot one wedding with it and instantly got rid of it. All brand new L lenses etc too. I'd never ever go back to a dslr

Between the Zeiss and the Sigma, I picked the Sigma lol

The MK2 Canon is meant to be excellent but I ain't buying anything Canon to have to adapt.

Had a nightmare changing to Canon just before Xmas. Shot one wedding with it and instantly got rid of it. All brand new L lenses etc too. I'd never ever go back to a dslr

Will see this will what my copy is like.

I had the mk1 Canon and when the Sigma 35 came out although the feedback was good, I was happy enough with my mk1 for me to keep it for a couple more years until I upgraded to the mk2 last year. I know someone who went from Sigma 35 to the Canon mk2 as well and he finds the focus better on the Canon.

Will see this will what my copy is like.

I had the mk1 Canon and when the Sigma 35 came out although the feedback was good, I was happy enough with my mk1 for me to keep it for a couple more years until I upgraded to the mk2 last year. I know someone who went from Sigma 35 to the Canon mk2 as well and he finds the focus better on the Canon.

On which camera?

Yeah but who wants to wait around for a firmware fix to an issue they haven't even acknowledged yet?

Don't get me wrong, I still think we're at the too little information stage but this is where a sensible company would step in and reassure people of what's actually going on, don't know how many pre-orders they've lost because of it and the worst case will mean an awful lot of returns for what could/should have very easily been a big win for them.

I am definitely not going to wait around especially if they don't acknowledge that there is an issue if there one. I'll simply return it.

But I am also an optimist and I think tamron will address any issues that's really found.

Back