The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Siggy 50 testing in decent light, f1.4 / 1/4000 ISO 100.

Eye AF, 10FPS, subject walking toward me, 24 out of 31 in focus (last 2 were because hit MFD)! MC11 combo cant do that, definitely better than adapted.

Last edited:

Eye AF, 10FPS, subject walking toward me, 24 out of 31 in focus (last 2 were because hit MFD)! MC11 combo cant do that, definitely better than adapted.

Try it at 8 FPS, in the little I've tested eye af I had better results with that over 10 fps.

how is the focussing compared to your samyang 35mm f/1.4? and also how is focussing noise compared to it?

That's the front focus issue not the AF failure requiring them to remove the lens.

I'm hoping the latter is just a small batch issue as I don't like any of the other options in this range at the moment.

Yeah, to be honest the lens locking up so nothing works at all I'd class as a different problem to the front focus issues. Obviously just changing to focus priority isn't going to do much to help with that problem.

That AF motor lol, optically it was ok. Lots of hit and miss QC.

Yeah, the optics were okay but the build... Mine alsoalso a grabby zoom ring that sticks occasionally. It was just a backup lens from ages ago. Surprised the old Canon 35mm f2 works as well, the only lens I have that flat refuses to work at all is the non Art Sigma 50mm F1.4.

Yeah, the optics were okay but the build... Mine alsoalso a grabby zoom ring that sticks occasionally. It was just a backup lens from ages ago. Surprised the old Canon 35mm f2 works as well, the only lens I have that flat refuses to work at all is the non Art Sigma 50mm F1.4.

my old canon 100-300mm works too :D
as did the old canon 24-85mm and 28-105mm f3.5-4.5

You really should start a thread in teh projects section- "anonymous children" :D:D

JK, I get why you post what you post. But seriously some of the faceless child shots are great.

Lol yeah, I try challenge myself to make the faceless images interesting enough to post.

Some of the nicest shots are when they aren't looking directly at the camera but just doing their thing or picking out smaller details, did the whole studio posed / smile at the camera thing and find it boring, environmental candid stuff is my favourite.

Last edited:

I liked that 'little' lens. Got some great shots with it.

I liked that 'little' lens. Got some great shots with it.

I'm a bit gutted it doesn't work to be honest, I know things have moved on but I've always liked this lens. It also throws a spanner in my plans to use it on an adapter whilst getting native mount 35mm and 85mm lenses...

A bigger problem is my fat fingers and the lack of clearance between hand grip and lens. I really need to get a grip extension of some kind as well :(

This is a great image of the 85s.... the FE 85mm 1.8 weighs in at 371g, the ART is 1,130g (DSLR) plus a bit more for FE mount. NB the 85 ART will have another 26mm adapter on the bottom for FE native. So nearly 3x the size of the 1.8. Awesome lens if you dont mind the size/weight.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
hmmm ... I have the 85 FE 1.8 myself ... but I find myself wanting a 1.4 lens for those situations where i want some arty bokeh. I do have the samyang 35mm 1.4 which I got in a bundle recently with an A7, seems nice ... but I have 35 covered on 2470gm and 1635gm already... so 85 1.4 seems like the sweet spot. The GM is tempting but the AF is so slow and had a bad experience with one where the AF motor was going and would jam and make the most awful screeching noise - has put me off the lens completely, sadly.

Last edited:
hmmm ... I have the 85 FE 1.8 myself ... but I find myself wanting a 1.4 lens for those situations where i want some arty bokeh. I do have the samyang 35mm 1.4 which I got in a bundle recently with an A7, seems nice ... but I have 35 covered on 2470gm and 1635gm already... so 85 1.4 seems like the sweet spot. The GM is tempting but the AF is so slow and had a bad experience with one where the AF motor was going and would jam and make the most awful screeching noise - has put me off the lens completely, sadly.

I think f1.4 is essential at wider FL like 35 and 50 for that look, at 85 Im already there with a 1.8, the size / weight advantage outweighs that 1.4 aperture at a longer FL.

If you are happy with the size and weight go for it, its optics are amazing (y)

You can get another copy of GM with a good AF motor. I would rather get the GM over ART just for the size difference alone.
Also GM has a more 'arty' bokeh than ART :p (only other area where it wins over ART)

Last edited:
Back