The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I second shot a wedding with just that lens. Was very impressed, the lens AF button set to eye af is as Jonney would put it "game changer", light, very fast AF and bokeh is really stunning. Not what a £500 lens usually produces.

Great little lens that’s super fast to focus too. Surprised me when I had it how quick it was. Focus hold button isn’t a “game changer” for me but sure nice to have as an option.

I’m in am the market for another 85mm again and this is on the list. Small Size, light weight, high performance and low (ish) cost are all attractive.

Great little lens that’s super fast to focus too. Surprised me when I had it how quick it was. Focus hold button isn’t a “game changer” for me but sure nice to have as an option.

I’m in am the market for another 85mm again and this is on the list. Small Size, light weight, high performance and low (ish) cost are all attractive.

Wish all my lenses had the programmable button, the others I just use ael.

I’ve just got home from a few days in Milton Keynes and a visit to Woburn Safari Park. Have only looked over the images on an IPad but I liked this one for a quick edit. I just took my A7 with FE50/1.8 and Samyang 85/1.4 to travel light.

Shot with the Samyang 85/1.4 and I like a challenge because these Marmosets don’t sit still :0)

ORG_DSC06982.JPG

https://flic.kr/p/29wZYzy

Forum upload will probably murder the image with compression so that’s a link to the shot on Flickr.

I’ve just got home from a few days in Milton Keynes and a visit to Woburn Safari Park. Have only looked over the images on an IPad but I liked this one for a quick edit. I just took my A7 with FE50/1.8 and Samyang 85/1.4 to travel light.

Shot with the Samyang 85/1.4 and I like a challenge because these Marmosets don’t sit still :0)

View attachment 131307

Forum upload will probably murder the image with compression so that’s a link to the shot on Flickr.

much much sharper via flickr. I've got some shots of these monkeys somewhere. its a good spot in the park as you can get really close to these guys.

I've put up a wanted add for a Good (or same thing different brand) flash controller for Sony - if anyones got one laying around that they don't need.

They’re excellent. Very photogenic little guys aren’t they :0)

yeah ive been to woburn a few times and can pretty much guarantee these guys will come and pose. occasionally some of the big cats will let you get close. super frustrating when they don't. ive never got anything of the tigers there.

20170317-DSC00084 by Jonathan Howes, on Flickr

Anyone had any issues with the cash back?

Just had a refusal notification:

“After validation we have noticed that
you have sent us the online order confirmation instead of the invoice.
Based on this information your participation is unfortunately no longer valid. To rectify the situation please send us the correct invoice in reply to this e-mail within the next 10 days.”

Bought new from Currys PC World EBay site. Document I supplied clearly marked “invoice”.

Anyone had any issues with the cash back?

Just had a refusal notification:

“After validation we have noticed that
you have sent us the online order confirmation instead of the invoice.
Based on this information your participation is unfortunately no longer valid. To rectify the situation please send us the correct invoice in reply to this e-mail within the next 10 days.”

Bought new from Currys PC World EBay site. Document I supplied clearly marked “invoice”.

You can't claim cashback when you buy from curry pc world eBay site. I confirmed this by asking them directly. Otherwise I could have got a new FE55 for like £450 while back :D

You can't claim cashback when you buy from curry pc world eBay site. I confirmed this by asking them directly. Otherwise I could have got a new FE55 for like £450 while back :D

Perhaps I have had my fingers burnt then. But it doesn’t say it’s not a valid retailer. Invoice is Currys PC World.

Just another outlet for Curry PC world. New stock, not refurbed or grey.

They allow cashback on Amazon warehouse open box stuff so can’t see why not new from a recognised retailer through a different sales outlet.

If Sony are aware they should make that clear. Currys PC world is on the list.

Perhaps I have had my fingers burnt then. But it doesn’t say it’s not a valid retailer. Invoice is Currys PC World.

They allow cashback on Amazon warehouse open box stuff so can’t see why not new from a recognised retailer through a different sales outlet.

Get on the phone to them.

I don't know the exact reasoning behind this and you are welcome to fight the battle if you wish but I think your chances of winning is rather low. I remember reading in T&C that eBay purchases are basically a blanket no-no hence I explicitly enquired and here's the reply:

Dear Customer

Thanks for taking your time to contact us,

No, unfortunately this isn't possible with our SONY items.

If you need any more assistance please don't hesitate to contact us again,

I hope this helps,

Kind regards,

Karol
Currys PC World eBay Store

Amazon warehouse isn't guaranteed, it's used goods, Sony is getting stricter. Also, 30 days before claims now... People must've been taking the P.

Amazon warehouse isn't guaranteed, it's used goods, Sony is getting stricter. Also, 30 days before claims now... People must've been taking the P.
If you ask Amazon they'll tell you it's not valid for any cashback. But looking at the Amazon's invoice you cannot differentiate between warehouse item and a new item. So people get away with it.

If you ask Amazon they'll tell you it's not valid for any cashback. But looking at the Amazon's invoice you cannot differentiate between warehouse item and a new item. So people get away with it.
I've just had a cashback with Nikon for a lens, and even though I made sure that it was from one of their allowed sellers, you also had to put the serial number of the lens in too, so that would show up where it was sourced, UK or not, and whether it was used, if it had been registered before. Do Sony ask for a serial number when getting the cashback?

Last edited:
I've just had a cashback with Nikon for a lens, and even though I made sure that it was from one of their allowed sellers, you also had to put the serial number of the lens in too, so that would show up where it was sourced, UK or not, and whether it was used, if it had been registered before. Do Sony ask for serial number when getting the cashback?

Yes they do.

I've just checked mine and if it's there I can't see it.

Page 3 (little cog section as above) includes shoot without lens but there doesn't seem to be a shoot without card option, sadly.

But you don't know if someone else has claimed on the serial no already till you put your claim through.... Out of the return period. Then it's no longer a bargain.

But you don't know if someone else has claimed on the serial no already till you put your claim through.... Out of the return period. Then it's no longer a bargain.
I think that's fraud. You could get done for it. They can easily track down if you have returned your item after claiming cashback.

I think that's fraud. You could get done for it. They can easily track down if you have returned your item after claiming cashback.

No I couldn't, because I don't do that, but other people do. Why do you think they are all extending the claim waiting period :rolleyes:

Ermmm and claiming on a used item is also fraud ;)

Last edited:

View attachment 131307

How are you finding that 85mm in general, Steve?

Last edited:
Back