The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

They don't have a FW for IBIS, the ergonomics are also better designed. I don't think it would cripple sales so much but one thing I do feel is that Sony, in their own unique way will completely ignore this petition and old A(x) series users There'll be another body in about 6 months time more than likely.
Sony FF with Fuji customer care and design, oh hang it, Fuji bring out a FF Xp-3 please.

To some IBIS is important others not, I'm one of the many others. Ergonomics are better according to some, the more compact nature of the A7 does appeal to many? I'd rather have adapted pdaf and that is possible with the hardware.

I agree, Ive supported Sony since day 1 of E and FE mount, its a nice little camera with a fair amount to offer within the limitations of the system as a whole but because Sony pumps out so many cameras in a short period they drop support relatively quickly. I'm surprised though that they gave the A7ii PDAF 3rd party.

Last edited:
Fuji still support older cameras with continual firmware updates. Camera's aren't like mobile phones - the majority of people keep them for a longer period of time. It would be nice is Sony recognised that.

I know that, but I'm not talking about Fuji.

I know that, but I'm not talking about Fuji.

Sony updated the A7 II with software from newer models, if you want a precedent. Just stating that other manufacturers like Fuji & Olympus do much more for their loyal customers. Sony doesn't, to it's detriment, imo. Camera systems and loyalty go hand in hand.

Sony updated the A7 II with software from newer models, if you want a precedent. Just stating that other manufacturers like Fuji & Olympus do much more for their loyal customers. Sony doesn't, to it's detriment, imo. Camera systems and loyalty go hand in hand.

I can understand what your saying re Fuji etc but maybe some of the features aren't as easy as a firmware upgrade sometimes it needs to be hardware related

Yeah, I know that to, I was specifically talking about the A7 not getting major updates, not the A7ii.

This thread is huge!!! A lot to talk about Sony camera and how they managed to break Canon and Nikon market, which has been kings for decades. Well, I just want to leave my statement about Sony cameras. In 18 years of experience, 10 of them using digital cameras, my Sony A7R and A7R II are definitely the best cameras that I ever had, the image quality, sharpness and dynamic range are absolutely incredible. It is like having a medium format camera results in a body Leica camera body size, I just love it.

This thread is huge!!! A lot to talk about Sony camera and how they managed to break Canon and Nikon market, which has been kings for decades. Well, I just want to leave my statement about Sony cameras. In 18 years of experience, 10 of them using digital cameras, my Sony A7R and A7R II are definitely the best cameras that I ever had, the image quality, sharpness and dynamic range are absolutely incredible. It is like having a medium format camera results in a body Leica camera body size, I just love it.
Hi there,
what kind of camera's have you used over the past 18 years?
How would you compare the A7R & A7RII to DSLR's that you may have used?

Hi there,
what kind of camera's have you used over the past 18 years?
How would you compare the A7R & A7RII to DSLR's that you may have used?

Over the past 18 years I used couple of Hasselblads, a Contax 645, Linhof Technorama 617 (film times), Nikon FM2, F3, F4, F100, and when switched to digital I had a Nikon D1X (great camera BTW), Canons 300D, 20D, 1Ds Mark II and 5D Mark III.

I compare the A7R & A7RII, specially the A7RII in terms of size, weight, sharpness, dynamic range and color reproduction. The camera outperform all the other cameras that I used. Unfortunately I can't tell about the focus because I use Canon lenses with the Metabone adaptor, so, I can't get the best out of it. But I'm about to sell most of my Canon lenses (excluding the Tilt-Shifts) and start using the Sony ones to get all the new auto focus options now available on the A7RII.

Check this image out. Made with Sony A7R, Canon 11-24mm, 92sec, f/22, ISO 100

_DSC3959.jpg

Last edited:
I can understand what your saying re Fuji etc but maybe some of the features aren't as easy as a firmware upgrade sometimes it needs to be hardware related

Yeah, that's possible too! But historically, Sony have never been keen on support for older devices.

Yep totally agreed mate I'm not saying its not possible I have no idea but they should at least clarify that it isn't ....

I'm not going to buy a new camera just to get pdaf or whatever. The next Sony I'd buy would be the A7R2 model funds permitting. Thats not an option for FW updates, its a big difference.In the meantime I'd appreciate a few more tweaks for my existing, at the time costly camera. Seeing as they're possible. So why not Sony?

Hi guys, I'm hoping you can help me solve a problem I've been having with my Sony A7ii regarding the monitor.

I'm having issues with live view and the monitor showing a black screen when it shouldn't - I want to be able to use both the viewfinder and live view so in the settings (Cog Menu -> Page 4 -> FINDER/MONITOR -> set to auto). It worked well initially but for a few months now it's been playing up.

The screen should only go black when my eye moves towards to the viewfinder, however it remains black most of the time and often I have to point the screen up and out away from me for it show the menu or photo on the monitor. I've even found myself changing settings or reviewing shots by staring at the tiny menu in the viewfinder as the monitor won't show anything but a black screen.

Has any else had this issue?

Have you got something blocking it when it's black it's quite sensitive and if o auto switches to the eye very quickly

Have you got something blocking it when it's black it's quite sensitive and if o auto switches to the eye very quickly

Apart from my own body no, though my face would be far enough away from it that I'd expect the monitor to be on. It didn't used to be this bad though which I find odd, it seems to have gotten more sensitive :/

How close is your body I noticed the other day my hand was in the way and it did the same... Perhaps the new firmware made it a tad more sensitive?

How close is your body I noticed the other day my hand was in the way and it did the same... Perhaps the new firmware made it a tad more sensitive?

Even at a foot away or so it usually remains black. I haven't updated the firmware ever, I bought it in September last year, perhaps I should update the firmware and see if that makes any difference!

Even at a foot away or so it usually remains black. I haven't updated the firmware ever, I bought it in September last year, perhaps I should update the firmware and see if that makes any difference!
Won't do any harm tbh

Might be worth removing the eyepiece and giving the proximity sensor a quick wipe over and blow of air too. Only trouble I've had in that regard is a stray hair that was confusing it.

If you can't find a solution otherwise, shoot with it set to viewfinder or monitor, and have C2 set up to toggle between the two manually. It's how I have it set up nowadays and you might just prefer it that way too anyway.

Anyone else using Nik and if so what for?

After browsing and playing I'm sure I'll use the b&w converter but so far I haven't found anything else that grabs me. Can't complain to much though as it's free :D

Last edited:
Some good information on the upcoming Sigma MC-11 adaptor, might interest those looking for 3rd party options, Sigma also to the Sports telephoto lenses ;)

http://briansmith.com/sigma-mc-11-mount-converter-for-sony-e-mount/
This quote "While other Smart adapters act like “translators” re-interpreting the AF commands of the lens, I believe that MC-11 firmware actually REPLACES the AF commands of the lens with AF commands for Sony E-mount lenses." is exactly what I've been thinking for a while, and why Sigma have a hard compatibility list. It actually overrides the firmware in the lens with a copy stored in the adapter. Why bother with some funky translation software hack when you can just put the lens into a "do as I say, don't think for yourself" mode and run fresh firmware in the adapter.
Anyone else using Nik and if so what for?

After browsing and playing I'm sure I'll use the b&w converter but so far I haven't found anything else that grabs me. Can't complain to much though as it's free :D

Last time I used any of the Nik stuff was before Google even bought it, but I do remember being impressed with silver efex, and rather unimpressed with colour efex. Not had a chance to play with it again after downloading it a few days ago though.

New FE 70-300mm F4.5 – 5.6 G OSS Telephoto Zoom Lens

Sony’s longest reaching E-mount lens to date, the new FE 70-300mm F4.5 – 5.6 G OSS telephoto zoom lens (model SEL70300G) features a state-of-the-art optical design including four aspherical glass elements, two ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements and Sony’s Nano AR coating, which all work together to effectively suppress spherical aberration, distortion, and chromatic aberration. This ensures beautiful high-resolution results for both still and video shooting.

The new telephoto zoom lens also features class-leading close-up performance, with a minimum focusing distance of less than 3 feet (0.9m) and a maximum magnification of 0.31x, making it an ideal choice for tele-macro photography. This outstanding close-up performance also factors into the lens’ excellent corner-to-corner sharpness.

The versatile zoom lens includes built-in Optical SteadyShot image stabilization that helps to reduce camera shake, making it easier to capture clear images when shooting handheld. Additionally, the new SEL70300G model has a linear actuator that allows it to achieve fast, smooth and quiet autofocus and is also dust and moisture resistant1 to ensure reliable operation in harsh outdoor conditions.

New FE 50mm F1.8 Prime Lens

Weighing in at less than 7 oz (192 g), the new lightweight FE 50mm F1.8 “normal” prime lens (model SEL50F18F) delivers an outstanding blend of performance, compactness and value, making it a perfect choice for hobbyist photographers and videographers looking to experience the benefits of a wide aperture prime lens at an attainable cost.

The lens features a new optical design with an aspherical element that effectively compensates for all forms of aberration, resulting in beautiful, crisp imagery. Additionally, it has a circular aperture with a maximum of F1.8, producing beautiful ‘bokeh’ in images that allows the subject to stand out against a smoothly defocused background. For extended durability, the new prime lens is built with a solid metal mount.

^^ interested in the 50mm prime if it is around the price they mention although the 55mm zeiss is a monster tbh..... the 70-300 seems a bit pricey tbh but at least they are releasing a few lower end lenses

I guess the new FE 50mm f1.8 will be a cheaper entry level lens.
Something which people have been demanding.
Sony should release a few more low-end lenses :)

I guess the new FE 50mm f1.8 will be a cheaper entry level lens.
Something which people have been demanding.
Sony should release a few more low-end lenses :)
yep agreed the 70-300 isn't cheap though lol they just cant help themselves.. although it is a useful lens I guess lol

^^ interested in the 50mm prime if it is around the price they mention although the 55mm zeiss is a monster tbh..... the 70-300 seems a bit pricey tbh but at least they are releasing a few lower end lenses

It's very positive new and the little 50mm is one that a lot of people have been crying for. Will make a nice combo on my a6000 also I think

my a72 is in the classifieds bowing out of the a72 world for a little bit ;-) I still have the a7s2 though lol

Wow well they kind of came out of nowhere. Sony are clearly deploying some hardcore security around their latest releases.

I guess that's the cheap(er) 50mm everyone's been after. A great common sense choice for a new lens, and a smart choice for new users. A little bit smaller than the FE55 is ok, but I've always thought it was pretty small as it is anyway.
The 70-300mm seems aimed more at the premium 70-300mm models like the A mount and Canon L, rather than the usual bargain basement versions. Reasonable choice I guess and I'm sure the performance will match the price.

Looking at the lens design of the 50mm, it seems to be a bog standard double gauss layout like the Canon and Nikons, so will probably perform more like them than the excellent FE55 (which is to say, you get a free vaseline-coating filter below f2.8). The MTF chart backs that up.

The number for the 70-300mm look impressive at first glance - same sort of ballpark as the 70-200mm f4 but with a smaller aperture, and better than the A mount version which got fantastic reviews. It even looks like it will perform well wide open (if you can call f5.6 wide open) at 300mm. As long as you can live with f5.6 it looks like it'll be pretty awesome.

Well, I think I expected the Spanish Inquisition more I did a cheap 50mm. Makes me think that a compact 35mm f1.8 isn't out of the question. :D

Actually, I could be tempted to the 50. I have the 55mm and it's excellent but a more compact 50 might be nice and might let my A7+50mm fit in the same small bag my A7+35mm does.

Interesting times.

It's very positive new and the little 50mm is one that a lot of people have been crying for. Will make a nice combo on my a6000 also I think

The current E mount 50/1.8 is around £100 and very sharp so the new FE probably doesn't add much over it other than FE compatibility. The 70-300 is a positive focal range but $1200 (so probably £1200!) is the usual ridiculous Sony pricing considering it's variable aperture and pretty slow at the long end.

Back