The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Oh well, I suppose in the real world the budget rules but I do have to wonder how much cheaper a Fuji set up would be than for example my Sony set up. I suspect you're going to end up with more money invested in Fuji than I have in Sony and possibly more than I have in camera gear in total.

So, as the budget is the driving force please try to keep your thinking head on and keep GAS under control otherwise as we've seen before with other people it all just starts again.

I've enjoyed looking at your Sony shots. Good luck with the Fuji.

:D

I suspect you're going to end up with more money invested in Fuji than I have in Sony and possibly more than I have in camera gear in total.

Have you seen the amount of Sony gear he's accumulated? Surely buying one Fuji body and a couple of lenses will cost more than the one body/lens you've got but it will be considerably less than the amount he's sunk into Sony gear!

Even compared to a similar Sony setup?

It is when you compare it to a realistic setup. Rizvan has already said that the amount/level of Sony kit he's bought is more than he'd ever actually need. If he buys Fuji according to his actual requirements rather than just buying one of each option from the catalogue, he'll save a fortune :0)

Have you seen the amount of Sony gear he's accumulated? Surely buying one Fuji body and a couple of lenses will cost more than the one body/lens you've got but it will be considerably less than the amount he's sunk into Sony gear!

I don't know what he's got and I do hope that it all works out as financial good sense. I suspect that limiting the kit is the key.

Maybe I was being a little unkind and perhaps thinking GAS may take too strong a hold but Fuji gear isn't exactly bargain basement kit and I'm sure if someone did run amuck in the shop you could spend as much or more than a more careful Sony user :D On the other hand the for sale section here does seem to be awash with Fuji gear and some of it seems to be reaching bargain MFT or Sony A6xxx kit levels so I'm sure that it can be a reasonably priced system if GAS can be controlled.

Not that people will be influenced by me and my stingy spending but all I have are the A7 and kit lens and the 55mm, everything else was bought used at reasonable costs and it's the same with my MFT gear, most of that was bought used too but I don't seem to suffer the GAS and machinations that some others seem to be more open to.

Last edited:
It is when you compare it to a realistic setup. Rizvan has already said that the amount/level of Sony kit he's bought is more than he'd ever actually need. If he buys Fuji according to his actual requirements rather than just buying one of each option from the catalogue, he'll save a fortune :0)

That's my point. Limit the Sony kit to actual needs and the price differences may not be so spectacular plus the Sony system is IMO better suited to what I've done which is buy the basic kit and cover the rarely used and fun options with reasonably priced legacy stuff. Not that I expect others to be happy with old MF lenses even if they're only for occasional or indulgent use :D

That's my point. Limit the Sony kit to actual needs and the price differences may not be so spectacular plus the Sony system is IMO better suited to what I've done which is buy the basic kit and cover the rarely used and fun options with reasonably priced legacy stuff. Not that I expect others to be happy with old MF lenses even if they're only for occasional or indulgent use :D

but he can buy top end fuji kit at the fraction of a price of the sony kit. so walking away with a large amount of cash as well as having the top end fuji camera and a few of their pro lenses is obviously an attractive option.

as he mentioned in the post, he's done his research and sums and the difference is the price of a car!

Again, as he mentioned in his post he still may do the odd wedding/paid work - and basic gear isn't such an attractive alternative for that.

Hi all,

well I have finally decided, going to let all of the Sony gear go, hang up my Sony Alpha Guru title and move over to Fuji.
As many know its been a hard choice to make but in the end, I just couldn't justify having the substantial amount of money invested in the Sony gear for minimal use it gets..... I guess the inner GAS pushed me towards the ultimate IQ and glass when in reality it was way more than I ever needed in real-world scenario's.

Having done a massive amount of review and youtube reading/viewing, I feel that the Fuji system will still allow me to do the odd wedding if/when I do one and give me a good amount of money back from selling the Sony gear which I am going to put towards a car for when my wife passes. :D

I was just taking photos of everything and I will say its one hell of a kit, will miss it but too much high end for my needs.

Everything will be going up on the classified's today, if its not sold by the end of the month I will trade it in as the dealership has offered me a tidy sum.

Cheers,

Riz
Glad you're sorted though sad the "Guru" is off on a brand change, hope your wife enjoys her new car :)

[QUOTE="addicknchips, post: 7613795, member: 19339"Again, as he mentioned in his post he still may do the odd wedding/paid work - and basic gear isn't such an attractive alternative for that.[/QUOTE]

You'd be surprised how many jobbing photographers shoot mid-range and crop-sensor kit. A guy I know shoots 20-30 weddings as well as events in a year on a couple of Canon crop bodies and average 17-50 zooms. It might not be the few high end shoots you see on wedding blogs but Rizvan doesn't need to sink thousands into kit to shoot a few weddings a year.

but he can buy top end fuji kit at the fraction of a price of the sony kit. so walking away with a large amount of cash as well as having the top end fuji camera and a few of their pro lenses is obviously an attractive option.

as he mentioned in the post, he's done his research and sums and the difference is the price of a car!

Again, as he mentioned in his post he still may do the odd wedding/paid work - and basic gear isn't such an attractive alternative for that.

Great stuff.

I haven't done my research on Rizvan's kit but I do know that for me and remembering that I'm happy with my A7 the bodies are roughly comparable or on the expensive side for Fuji if you discount the X10 but there's maybe no reason why you should.

As I said restraint with the credit card is maybe the key and I'll happily add careful research and resisting future GAS to that too.

I have just purchased a Sigma 150-600 Contemporary lens and I thought some of you may be interested in how it performs on a Sony A7R2. All those web reports about it being a bit soft at the longer end are not true- once adjusted using the USB Sigma dock it's so sharp I could shave with it !
Are you using it with the sigma adapter?

[QUOTE="addicknchips, post: 7613795, member: 19339"Again, as he mentioned in his post he still may do the odd wedding/paid work - and basic gear isn't such an attractive alternative for that.

You'd be surprised how many jobbing photographers shoot mid-range and crop-sensor kit. A guy I know shoots 20-30 weddings as well as events in a year on a couple of Canon crop bodies and average 17-50 zooms. It might not be the few high end shoots you see on wedding blogs but Rizvan doesn't need to sink thousands into kit to shoot a few weddings a year.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with but in this case why not go with an Sony option?

[QUOTE="addicknchips, post: 7613795, member: 19339"Again, as he mentioned in his post he still may do the odd wedding/paid work - and basic gear isn't such an attractive alternative for that.

You'd be surprised how many jobbing photographers shoot mid-range and crop-sensor kit. A guy I know shoots 20-30 weddings as well as events in a year on a couple of Canon crop bodies and average 17-50 zooms. It might not be the few high end shoots you see on wedding blogs but Rizvan doesn't need to sink thousands into kit to shoot a few weddings a year.[/QUOTE]

Yeah of course it can be done.
But by what he is doing he is getting cash and still having some top gear. Win win.

It's quite a hard pill to swallow to get rid of top gear and go to average gear.

@Rizvan I thought you were going to run both systems side by side for a bit? Have you received the Fuji yet? If not, is it not a but risky to be flogging ALL the gear you're currently using? Don't get me wrong, I love the Fuji system but these things can be very subjective ;)

You'd be surprised how many jobbing photographers shoot mid-range and crop-sensor kit. A guy I know shoots 20-30 weddings as well as events in a year on a couple of Canon crop bodies and average 17-50 zooms. It might not be the few high end shoots you see on wedding blogs but Rizvan doesn't need to sink thousands into kit to shoot a few weddings a year.

Yeah of course it can be done.
But by what he is doing he is getting cash and still having some top gear. Win win.

It's quite a hard pill to swallow to get rid of top gear and go to average gear.[/QUOTE]

Yes a couple of pros i have got to know use d7100 and put quality on small jpeg,i was shocked but they have been busy for years using that sort of setup,though in the studio he uses that med format stuff
Might add its all about the business and making a living,fair enough

Last edited:
Has the latest update address the minimum shutter speed in auto ISO on A7ii anyone know?

I don't know what he's got and I do hope that it all works out as financial good sense. I suspect that limiting the kit is the key.

Maybe I was being a little unkind and perhaps thinking GAS may take too strong a hold but Fuji gear isn't exactly bargain basement kit and I'm sure if someone did run amuck in the shop you could spend as much or more than a more careful Sony user :D On the other hand the for sale section here does seem to be awash with Fuji gear and some of it seems to be reaching bargain MFT or Sony A6xxx kit levels so I'm sure that it can be a reasonably priced system if GAS can be controlled.

Not that people will be influenced by me and my stingy spending but all I have are the A7 and kit lens and the 55mm, everything else was bought used at reasonable costs and it's the same with my MFT gear, most of that was bought used too but I don't seem to suffer the GAS and machinations that some others seem to be more open to.

The Fuji kit isn't "bargain basement" especially the latest bodies but they're still a helluva lot cheaper than the kit Riz is selling on, XT2 is £1400 v £2400 worth of A7rii, £1650 for a 24-70 v £850 for a 16-55 Fuji.
There are cheap Fuji options available now though, especially used XT1's and theres a lot of cheaper Fuji glass now (especially the new cheaper Prime range)

It all depends on needs and use. For me as a casual deliberate shooter with an A7, unused kit lens, 35mm f2.8 and 55mm f1.8 and every other use covered by cheap manual lenses cutting edge peformance isn't an issue but file image quality is and moving to Fuji would make no sense for image quality or performance and the cost differences would be swings and roundabouts but for anyone with an A7RII and GM kit facing the realities of life I can see how the upper levels of Sony kit are close to madness.

There's a lesson for many of us there.

If God forbid I had to live in the real world and for whatever reason ditch the A7 and go MFT or APS-C think I'd go A6000 and hang on to my 35 and 55mm and use a manual 24mm f2.8. There have been a couple of A6000's in the for sale section for around £300. I'd much rather stick with the A7 though and just one AF prime, maybe the cheapo 50mm f1.8. Anything else could be cheap and legacy.

Last edited:
Another rainy and complete grey out day. Remind me why I own a camera? :(

I think it's over a month now since I managed to get out with a camera and in fact the last time I took anything other than food and look at me and my new thing shots for me and my GF to email off around the world was an indoor family do about a month ago... so very little out door photography.

I don't know if anyone has been reading the various blogs by the reviewers shooting in Iceland and complaining about the poor conditions but it did make me think a bit... I get a bit depressed with not having much free time and when I do the chances are that it'll be on a day that I don't want to go out with a camera because it's raining or the light is just completely flat and dead (like today) and I have any number of pictures of my area on rainy and dead light days. However, I wouldn't mind taking some pictures in Iceland on what an Icelander might think was a day he wouldn't even touch his camera :D because I'd be photographing something different. So maybe if I can't have good light I should be taking the chance to get out and try harder to find something different that I haven't already photographed a hundred times in crap light :D

How are you lot doing with the weather?

This morning at Redcar on a dog walk I had sleet hail wind and 5degree temperatures lovely

I have been watching a number of processing YouTube videos and hope soon that I might try long exposures sea and river perhaps excluding as much sky as possible

Certainly over the last month or so my camera has been out in some weather I would normally leave it at home though my deleted rate has increased as a consequence

I think the trick is not having such a high investment in the gear that it keeps shouting use me more plus I have taken more time printing

No plans for a visit of Icelandic region though :)

Did anyone do any fireworks on the 5th then ?

I managed to shoot bonfire night but i used my 5d4 instead!

Due to touch screen and ruggigness as i wasnt sure if it will rain or not.

Touchscreen is such a joy man but one thing i wished the 5d4 and a7's had was lights on the actual buttons like the pantex one!

I managed to shoot bonfire night but i used my 5d4 instead!

Due to touch screen and ruggigness as i wasnt sure if it will rain or not.

Touchscreen is such a joy man but one thing i wished the 5d4 and a7's had was lights on the actual buttons like the pantex one!
Plus 1 for lights on the buttons :agree:

This morning at Redcar on a dog walk I had sleet hail wind and 5degree temperatures lovely

I have been watching a number of processing YouTube videos and hope soon that I might try long exposures sea and river perhaps excluding as much sky as possible

Certainly over the last month or so my camera has been out in some weather I would normally leave it at home though my deleted rate has increased as a consequence

I think the trick is not having such a high investment in the gear that it keeps shouting use me more plus I have taken more time printing

I only got 2 shots (over on the x70 thread). Was holding my daughter for most of the display.

I've never done a silky water shot. I've gone out intending to but when it came to it I just... couldn't :D they're very nice though if that's what you like :D and I might do some one day.

I've been on the beach is all weather (but rarely sunny... this is the NE of England :D) snow, rain, gales and in fact in weather I could hardly stand up. Ditto the hills. I've been revisiting old shots and processing them in Nik and sometimes rescuing something and indeed I'm very happy with some of the results but I can't quite shake the thought that I'm trying too hard to polish a you know what.

What I'd really like is for free time to coincide with a good light for photography day.

Ignore me. I'm just having a SAD day, as in seasonal affected...

PS.
I don't think it's an expensive gear which I should be using thing with me as I don't have gear that was all that expensive (in the scheme of things) and I still often use my Panny G1 which must be worth all of 2p. I just like being out and I like photography. I like taking pictures and seeing the results on my pc :D

Last edited:
Anyone use any of the Sony apps on their camera?

Back