The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

So i went and bought a Sony A7 with the 28-70mm kit lens to replace my Canon 7D in January. I''ve also bought a Signex EF to FE converter to service my 24-105mm L and 50mm prime - although the 50mm will eventually be replaced by the 55mm Zeiss. Bloody lovely camera body! The kit lens isn't terrible either!

Focussed by Simon Cox, on Flickr

Overwatch by Simon Cox, on Flickr

Lifeguard by Simon Cox, on Flickr

Bellerophon & Pegasus by Simon Cox, on Flickr

Furry by Simon Cox, on Flickr

Lotus Evora by Simon Cox, on Flickr

And a slightly OOF shot due to corralling the dog with one hand....

Tidal by Simon Cox, on Flickr

Comments welcome!

Lovely :D

Your Lotus?

If so... Nice :D I've had two, Elan SE (I did well over 100k miles in that) and Elise.

I agree the kit lens is nice but mine is still unused outside of the house and garden.

Woof, yeah it's my Evora (because it has a back seat for the dog) :) had a picture of a Motorsport Elise on my wall since I was a nipper so decided to pull the trigger on the Evora last year. I bought from Lotus Silverstone and haven't been disappointed!

Congratulations! And yes some of the Zeiss / G master glass looks amazing.... And painfully expensive!

Thanks for the congrats all :D

The Evora looks stunning and I'd image it's a lovely drive. I was only interested in open cars hence the Elan and Elise, that was the most exciting car I've ever driven and I'd imaging the Evora is a larger version of it drive and handling wise. These days I'm on my third MX5 and an inherited Getz for practicality.

Now which brave one of us will test this new FW and tell us whether to update or if it will eat all my remaining stars :D :p

Is it the same firmware on the A9 that they uploaded a few days ago?
I just tried to follow the link and I couldn't see anything so reread the rumor site and it says...

"Sony Japan releases anew firmware update for six E-mount cameras including the A9 overheating indicator improvement. The firmware will be available soon on the official Sony worldwide support site too:"

I can't see it now at 08:25, maybe it'll be there later?

Looks like fairly big firmware changes to the a7 II series cameras. Biggest being that it looks like you can set the rear d-pad to full time AF point selector. (Link)

Looks like fairly big firmware changes to the a7 II series cameras. Biggest being that it looks like you can set the rear d-pad to full time AF point selector. (Link)

This looks great to me, once I get my head around the standard and focus standard settings. No doubt Gary Fong will upload a video to youtube on how to do it!

this is like buying a new camera these features!

Finally i can use my A7r2 in the studio!

With Live View effects ON it closes to the working aperture.

With Live View effects OFF it closes 1 stop more that the maximum aperture.

For examples on a 1.4 lens it closes to 2.0. On a 4.0 lenses it closes to 5.6 (I tested two lenses). I assume that the 24-70 GM 2.8 closes to 4.0. As told with LVe OFF.

About 25 mins later, now on v4.0.

The "Focus Standard" setting is a useful addition - my only gripe (which was the same in 3.3) is when you click to magnify for MF, it defaults to centre frame, rather than where your focus point is/was.
File-renaming not a game changer for me except for being able to rename for specific lenses, though I'm not sure I'll actually bother.
Apparently star-eating is much improved, though it's a change to the filter, rather than the heavily requested option to turn it off.

Off to Amalfi & Tuscany on Saturday, so hopefully get some time to trial it

One thing I like is to meter off wherever the focus point is, can A7's do that?

A7R2 meters off the af point
Lovely, but not worth spending that much on unless my A7 dies.

Another thing I'd like is to be able to have the histogram and level indicator at the same time. Do later cameras allow that?

He said a7. Assuming he means his own.
Mine stays in the centre, unless I've missed something...

I meant do the newer ones move the metering point, my MFT cameras always have and it's a nice feature, especially when shooting flowers and the like or other stuff when the focus point lighting is significantly different to the centre. At the mo obviously I have the option of metering and locking the exposure and recomposing which is a bit more faff. Actually it might be nice to be able to choose.

Last edited:
Mine stays in the centre, unless I've missed something...

I meant do the newer ones move the metering point, my MFT cameras always have and it's a nice feature, especially when shooting flowers and the like or other stuff when the focus point lighting is significantly different to the centre. At the mo obviously I have the option of metering and locking the exposure and recomposing which is a bit more faff. Actually it might be nice to be able to choose.

That's right, the a7 doesn't, the a7rii meters with af point, It's a great feature, Nikon have done it by default for years. Not sure if Canons finally caught up.

Last edited:
That's right, the a7 does the a7rii meters with af point, It's a great feature Nikon have done it by default for years. Not sure if Canons finally caught up.
I'm sat here thinking about situations when I wouldn't want to meter off the focus point but thinking about it with MFT I always do and it's only when using my A7 that I miss the feature. I do think it'd be nice to be able to choose what it does through a menu option though, just incase... :D

Tbh woolf you should grab the A7R2. Time for you to upgrade ;)

I've been thinking about getting an A9 but I don't know why. I don't need one. I can't even get out to take pictures at the mo.

Back