The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Little bit of Sony gear? Lol
My thoughts too but I didn't want to say :D lol

I guess it's a little bit compared to the Nikon gear it is to replace?

Nikon D4s
Nikon D800E
Nikon 14-24 f/2.8
Nikon 24-70 f/2.8
Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VRII
Nikon 400 f/2.8 AF-S VR
Nikon 200mm f/2.0 VRI
Nikon 85mm 1.4G
Nikon TC2.0III

:eek:

Last edited:
My thoughts too but I didn't want to say :D lol

I guess it's a little bit compared to the Nikon gear it is to replace?

Nikon D4s
Nikon D800E
Nikon 14-24 f/2.8
Nikon 24-70 f/2.8
Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VRII
Nikon 400 f/2.8 AF-S VR
Nikon 200mm f/2.0 VRI
Nikon 85mm 1.4G
Nikon TC2.0III

:eek:

Haha, that list doesn't have the Sigma 24mm or 35mm ART's, or the Nikon 600 f/4!

It's certainly nice with the reduced weight. I'm not sold on the 100-400 yet, as it's just not quick enough compared to my primes, but will have to do until they can get me something faster! I have a month to try it all before I have to decide whether to keep it or give it back.

Haha, that list doesn't have the Sigma 24mm or 35mm ART's, or the Nikon 600 f/4!

It's certainly nice with the reduced weight. I'm not sold on the 100-400 yet, as it's just not quick enough compared to my primes, but will have to do until they can get me something faster! I have a month to try it all before I have to decide whether to keep it or give it back.

Interesting regarding the months evaluation period, was this a Sony loan or a individual dealership.
Why I ask is that I was told that Sony were considering ventures like loaning kit out to Professionals to give them a chance to test & decide which I think is great.

My lens lineup isn't complete yet but it's not far off, just a couple of primes and macro ideally. :D

Interesting regarding the months evaluation period, was this a Sony loan or a individual dealership.
Why I ask is that I was told that Sony were considering ventures like loaning kit out to Professionals to give them a chance to test & decide which I think is great.

My lens lineup isn't complete yet but it's not far off, just a couple of primes and macro ideally. :D

I am working with the office in the Middle East (where I'm based) to try out gear. It's not a service they normally offer.

I am working with the office in the Middle East (where I'm based) to try out gear. It's not a service they normally offer.

Excellent, hopefully you like it and decide to make the move to Sony. :D

Just around the corner from my Mrs family home.

A7 and 35mm f2.8 at f8, ISO 800.

c-t.jpg

I do love Thailand but I can't cope with the heat and humidity.

Last edited:
Two weeks in april nearly killed me. I had god knows how many showers per day, I lost weight and had to hold my trousers up going through security on the way home and my arm pits were black.

Hope you enjoy :D

Had the mitakon 50 0.95 shallow dof was amazing but it was MF only so sucked for anything moving. The Nikon would be AF drool.

I wonder what the camera will be like...

Just seen some images of the Fuji 200mm f2

Do it. Compression with portraits would be nuts... long distance shooting though.

I might be able to justify it as it could also be used as an awesome wildlife and action lens.
It will cost a lot...

But a massive win for fuji getting a Long and fast prime lens out.

Had the mitakon 50 0.95 shallow dof was amazing but it was MF only so sucked for anything moving. The Nikon would be AF drool.

I almost had a bid on one of those the other day...... Was a reasonable price I thought but it's the weight of the thing that eventually pulled me away from the 'bid' button!!

I suppose a serious go at mirrorless by Canon and Nikon is only a matter of time but I think I'll believe it when I see it body and lens wise as some of this could be a bit of marketing to try and get people to wait and not buy into Sony.

As a former and for decades Nikon owner I still have a bit of a soft spot for them but these days I just don't care who make the stuff. I'd like to buy British but as that's not an option here I don't see why I should care.

I almost had a bid on one of those the other day...... Was a reasonable price I thought but it's the weight of the thing that eventually pulled me away from the 'bid' button!!

If Nikon do jump in with wide aperture primes I wonder if all those saying Sony lenses are massive and expensive will suddenly shut up or maybe they'll gripe in every Nikon thread.

If Nikon do jump in with wide aperture primes I wonder if all those saying Sony lenses are massive and expensive will suddenly shut up or maybe they'll gripe in every Nikon thread.

Fair point, if one wants fast glass the law of physics can't be avoided at present.
I'm managing with the G Masters fine and have my pocket camera for lighter duties :)
Focusing becomes very critical even at f1.4, the glass elements get larger which sometimes means slower AF.
I notice a difference between the Zeiss Batis 85mm f1.8 vs 85mm f1.4 GM.
Nikon do have to push forwards and gain the edge just like any other manufacturers out there.
Hopefully these lenses will raise the bar further and generates more completion :)

I suppose a serious go at mirrorless by Canon and Nikon is only a matter of time but I think I'll believe it when I see it body and lens wise as some of this could be a bit of marketing to try and get people to wait and not buy into Sony.

As a former and for decades Nikon owner I still have a bit of a soft spot for them but these days I just don't care who make the stuff. I'd like to buy British but as that's not an option here I don't see why I should care.

I too like Nikon, I feel Nikon should go mirrorless by gradually replacing their internal guts with mirrorless systems and keeping everything else the same.

They could run co-current technologies as a overlap .... for example a Nikon D5/500/850m.
Same everything just with Sony A9 level of advancement & technology inside.
If they do that in their first body they have caught up with Sony straight away.

I do feel that Sony still will have a sensor and optical advantage though.

Fun times a head, I too aren't brand loyal, I usually like the greatest and latest in gadgets :D

Currently got my beast eye on some new Apple gear.

Well let's see how the d850 does. There is still a huge demand for high performance dslr and not everyone wants mirrorless and evf.

Canikon could though be nearly ready to release something. Perhaps sitting back and letting fuji and Sony do the beta testing in terms of what consumer wants are e.g. Controls, menu systems, functionality, features and whether native glass is a must. Canon seem to have a head start with the m5 and their adapter works really well. A full frame offering may not be far off. It could then become tough for Sony to compete in the exact same market as canikon.

I might be able to justify it as it could also be used as an awesome wildlife and action lens.
It will cost a lot...

But a massive win for fuji getting a Long and fast prime lens out.

Except Fuji's AF is no good for that :p

Keep your pants on, it's not out yet :D

Not good for what?

New firmware update will release in November which is said to double the caf performance.

For tracking.

I'll believe it when I see it. :p
They release a million updates which eventually bring a sub-par system to competition standards. Clever marketing, to people it seems like they are constantly updating and supporting their products but in fact it was substandard in the first place.

For tracking.

They release a million updates which eventually bring a sub-par system to competition standards. Clever marketing, to people it seems like they are constantly updating and supporting their products but in fact it was substandard in the first place.

Lol

For tracking.

and i thought i was cynical!:eek::D

Well let's see how the d850 does. There is still a huge demand for high performance dslr and not everyone wants mirrorless and evf.

Canikon could though be nearly ready to release something. Perhaps sitting back and letting fuji and Sony do the beta testing in terms of what consumer wants are e.g. Controls, menu systems, functionality, features and whether native glass is a must. Canon seem to have a head start with the m5 and their adapter works really well. A full frame offering may not be far off. It could then become tough for Sony to compete in the exact same market as canikon.

I'm afraid you could be right on this.... seriously, all Nikon needs to do is give their current bodies mirrorless internal guts from the Sony A9 and job done..... :D

For tracking.

I'll believe it when I see it. [emoji14]
Well said. Same people who moan how sony don't release firmware that much. The thing is. Sony cameras are more stable than fuji at launch!

I'm afraid you could be right on this.... seriously, all Nikon needs to do is give their current bodies mirrorless internal guts from the Sony A9 and job done..... :D

That would kill it for me. The reason I initially bought into mirrorless was good performance in a small package.... well not actually a small package but just getting back to the size cameras and lenses used to be before they became the big fat bloated behemoths they are now.

I'm just not interested in a big fat bloated behemoth mirrorless camera. I'd rather drop FF and go completely MFT. At least with the FF Sony A7/9 system I have the option of choosing a small lens to go with the film era sized body, take that away and I'm not interested.

As much as I wave the Sony flag I am afraid I have to admit the Fuji's firmware updates are actually beneficial and not just bug fixes etc. Yes you could argue that they could have brought the camera out with all of the firmware additions from day one but that would reduce the bodies longevity.
Its clever marketing from Fuji and it keeps the owners happy. They do listen to their users and it seems to be paying off.
Both are great systems but they also have positives and negatives.

Back