The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I have a bunch of Olympus OM lenses on the shelf here. Can't say as I've ever been impressed by them. Cheap certainly. If I started over with cheap lenses I'd possibly go for the Minolta Rokkor family. Hubby gets some very nice images from his. Especially the likes of the 35-70mm and 70-210mm ( I think) zooms which Leica borrowed the design of for their R. Can't remember if he has the 50mm tho. Size wise the Olympus lenses are lovely and compact, it's just a shame the adapter is so big.

Of the ones I have the Oly Zuiko 24 and 28mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.8 are compact but the 50mm f1.4, 85mm f2 and 135mm f3.5 are not so compact and pretty much the size of the Rokkors or FD's.

If I'm nit picking the Zuiko's or rather their aperture rings are a bit clunky in use and image quality wise the Rokkors I have are better than the Zuikos I have but really any of these are good enough and I really have to push things to the extremes and look for the differences to see them. Any will do :D but as I may have said before the smart buy is usually the 50mm f1.7/f1.8 and / or a third party lens.

Whilst we're on the subject of Leica pinching lenses, I think they pinched the Rokkor 24mm f2.8 which I've read is considered by some to be a classic 24mm design. I have the later 49mm diameter version of this lens.

Last edited:
Has anyone used the timelapse app for Sony Cameras? If so whats your thoughts on it and is your preference to let the camera make the timelapse or do you just collect the stills and edit them seperately?

Latest A7 III rumors suggest the announced may come in Q4 2017 or Q1 2018.

Possible specification:-
24mp
6fps with mechanical shutter
ISO up to 51200 (expanded to ISO 204800)
693 phase detection AF
Minimum focus sensitivity is EV-3
4k 30p recording

My thoughts are that to maintain a healthy gap between the A7 and A9 series, the new A7 III series will not get the A9 body design, Dual-SD card slots or Z Battery.
Sony may however give it around 10/12fps, Silent shutter mode, AF joystick and a blackout free EVF, but this would depend on Sony using the A9 24mp RS sensor or equivalent variant.

I think Sony could potentially be in a tricky position as many will want/expect the A7 III to get the A9 features, however from a marketing perspective they will need to hold some of the features back for the A9 only. :)

Last edited:
Latest A7 III rumors suggest the announced may come in Q4 2017 or Q1 2018.

Possible specification:-
24mp
6fps with mechanical shutter
ISO up to 51200 (expanded to ISO 204800)
693 phase detection AF
Minimum focus sensitivity is EV-3
4k 30p recording

My thoughts are that to maintain a healthy gap between the A7 and A9 series, the new A7 III series will not get the A9 body design, Dual-SD card slots or Z Battery.
Sony may however give it around 10/12fps, Silent shutter mode and a blackout free EVF, but this would depend on Sony using the A9 24mp RS sensor or equivalent variant.

I think Sony could potentially be in a tricky position as many will want/expect the A7 III to get the A9 features, however from a marketing perspective they will need to hold some of the features back for the A9 only. :)

Let the a9 be the speed demon with 20fps.

If they can't filter down basic stuff like 2 card slots and focus stick that is p*** poor.

They should also migrate to the new battery - and then sell the NP-50 to Z battery adaptor (that comes with the Multi Battery Adaptor kit) as a standalone item.
Existing owners can use their old batteries as spares, new owners get the benefit of the new battery.

With Nikon and Canon surely going to enter the market sooner or later maybe Sony should decide not to deliberately cripple their lower line.

Anyway...

A7 and Minolta Rokkor 85mm f2 at f2 and 100%, focus on her left eye. I hope the sharpness comes across in this.

DSC08040-C.jpg

Whole picture.

DSC08040-S.jpg

Last edited:
Sony badly need to release a 400mm F2.8 lens

It'll hopefully be out before the year is out along with the FE 135mm f1.8 GM.
All good things to those who wait, how much do you think think they will cost?

FE 135mm f1.8 £1599?
FE 400mm f2.8 £4499?

FE 135mm f1.8 £1599?
FE 400mm f2.8 £4499?

I reckon the 135 would be about 2k at least.
Am happy with my crop mode on the A7rii with the 85mm being it to around 127mm f2.
Not a bad workaround.

The Long primes will be serious coinage for sure.

Has anyone used the timelapse app for Sony Cameras? If so whats your thoughts on it and is your preference to let the camera make the timelapse or do you just collect the stills and edit them seperately?

I've used it with the RX100 III and found it very good. :) Most of the time I have gone for the camera rendering the Timelapse. I did a very nice one in Venice combining with the Angle Shift (Toy Town effect). It is limited in the number of images it can record, 990, which is a bit of a b*mmer. :rolleyes: But worth every penny @ £7.99 for the Timelapse and £3.99 for the angle shift. :)

If you know how to process the images well, you may be able to get a a better timelapse, but unless there is dramatic changes in light the App works very well. :)

I reckon the 135 would be about 2k at least.
Am happy with my crop mode on the A7rii with the 85mm being it to around 127mm f2.
Not a bad workaround.

The Long primes will be serious coinage for sure.
Actually thinking about it I think my guess is way off and your £2k figure is probably the lower end going on the price of the Zeiss Batis 135mm.

Let the a9 be the speed demon with 20fps.

If they can't filter down basic stuff like 2 card slots and focus stick that is p*** poor.

Why is it poor? Why wouldn't a manufacturer hold back certain features to make a higher model more appealing. Its not as if every Canikon has dual card slots, joystick and so on. I depends what portion of the market they are looking to appeal to.

I think a73 will not have battery and blackout free evf. Just dual card slots and maybe 36mp sensor while the a7r3 will have 60mp sensor

Personally I would have thought the battery would be one thing to filter down, given that so many seem to moan about it. If they are wanting to compete against DSLR's then surely battery life is one of the biggest requirements. If you look at what the competition is for the A7iii, then from Canon it would be the 6Dii which only has 1 card slot.

As for Canon bringing out a mirrorless full frame, although it is inevitable that it will happen, with their current line up I wonder where it would fit in. To have something like the A9, would detract from the 1DXii, the A7rii against the 5DSR and so on and even if they did would it be aimed at professionals or serious enthusiast? If the latter then again there's no real need for dual slots.

What I would like to see on the A7Riii though is rather than a joystick, maybe something like the Canon M5 where the screen can double up as a touchpad, better tracking, better focusing above f8, focus wide open on all lenses and the blackout free EVF. Those might persuade me to upgrade.

Last edited:
I always turn touchscreens off but that's just me... I do hope they include a joystick and a bigger battery but I doubt I'll buy one as my A7 does most things I want. A joystick, big battery and a silent shutter would be nice though.

I'm sure we'll see a Canon FF mirrorless if Nikon bring one out even if it doesn't really fit in their range. Isn't it rumored that we'll see a Nikon FF mirrorless soon? Something like that.

Why is it poor? Why wouldn't a manufacturer hold back certain features to make a higher model more appealing. Its not as if every Canikon has dual card slots, joystick and so on. I depends what portion of the market they are looking to appeal to.

Personally I would have thought the battery would be one thing to filter down, given that so many seem to moan about it. If they are wanting to compete against DSLR's then surely battery life is one of the biggest requirements. If you look at what the competition is for the A7iii, then from Canon it would be the 6Dii which only has 1 card slot.

As for Canon bringing out a mirrorless full frame, although it is inevitable that it will happen, with their current line up I wonder where it would fit in. To have something like the A9, would detract from the 1DXii, the A7rii against the 5DSR and so on and even if they did would it be aimed at professionals or serious enthusiast? If the latter then again there's no real need for dual slots.

What I would like to see on the A7Riii though is rather than a joystick, maybe something like the Canon M5 where the screen can double up as a touchpad, better tracking, better focusing above f8, focus wide open on all lenses and the blackout free EVF. Those might persuade me to upgrade.

hold back on the 20fps and the crazy focus system perhaps and the black out free nonsense.

a decent way to move the focus point and a second slot really shouldn't be luxury add ons in 2017. And i don't feel that its it worth spending £4,500 to get them.
Im pretty sure every current production nikon full frame camera has this.

hold back on the 20fps and the crazy focus system perhaps and the black out free nonsense.

a decent way to move the focus point and a second slot really shouldn't be luxury add ons in 2017. And i don't feel that its it worth spending £4,500 to get them.
Im pretty sure every current production nikon full frame camera has this.
They may, but you have to spend £31/2k to get them in a Canon

Outside of pro use (and even then I don't entirely get it-I can see why they'd like it but not why it's expected) why do people get so worked up about 2 slots? I've never seen a computer or laptop off the shelf with integrated raid/backup as standard. 2nd slot is cheap to incorporate - cost pence for the hardware, nothing technically challenging, IF your design has the space for it. Which fat Nikon FF's obvs have, smaller form Sony's don't.

Outside of pro use (and even then I don't entirely get it-I can see why they'd like it but not why it's expected) why do people get so worked up about 2 slots? I've never seen a computer or laptop off the shelf with integrated raid/backup as standard. 2nd slot is cheap to incorporate - cost pence for the hardware, nothing technically challenging, IF your design has the space for it. Which fat Nikon FF's obvs have, smaller form Sony's don't.

I'm sure There is room for a 2nd card slot on the a7ii line.

I haven't personally had a card fail yet, but I'd be massively p***ed off if it did happen and I lost shots. Whether they be clients photos or personal stuff I'd be upset. If these cameras where cheap I'd perhaps forgive the they absence. But they are not, and therefore imo they should have these basics features included.

Anyway, will find out tomorrow I guess.

Vaguely interested in where they are going, but not interested in buying one. I'm happy with the A6500. Now if they put a FF sensor in an A6*00 series body... That would get my attention.

FE 135mm f1.8 £1599?
FE 400mm f2.8 £4499?

400mm at £4499? Both Nikon's and Canon's equivalent retails for over £10,000.

The Sony A-Mount 300mm 2.8 retails for £6,300

The Sony A-Miunt 500mm 4.0 retails for £10,800.

I expect any 400mm 2.8 (if it is even a 2.8, not an f/4) would retails for £12,000 minimum.

This is the biggest lens missing from their line up which is stopping me committing to the Sony kit I have on loan. I can't get along with the 100-400 after no many years shooting with primes!

400mm at £4499? Both Nikon's and Canon's equivalent retails for over £10,000.

The Sony A-Mount 300mm 2.8 retails for £6,300

The Sony A-Miunt 500mm 4.0 retails for £10,800.

I expect any 400mm 2.8 (if it is even a 2.8, not an f/4) would retails for £12,000 minimum.

This is the biggest lens missing from their line up which is stopping me committing to the Sony kit I have on loan. I can't get along with the 100-400 after no many years shooting with primes!

Why is it too light for you? Not giving you enough of a workout? :D

On a more serious note I'd prefer a 300mm f2.8 prime. Also a light 300mm f4 prime like Nikon 300mm PF would be nice.

The rumor site says that a trusted source says....

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-a7iii-coming-today-a9-sensor-a9-body-battery/

A7III coming today with A9 sensor, body, battery, joystick, touchscreen...

Lets see if it happens :D

Would Sony really put everything except 20fps in an A7 range camera though? I'm not sure I'd see their reasoning for basically canibalising their A9 feature highlights which will mean the large majority of buyers wouldn't then save up for the A9.

Would Sony really put everything except 20fps in an A7 range camera though? I'm not sure I'd see their reasoning for basically canibalising their A9 feature highlights which will mean the large majority of buyers wouldn't then save up for the A9.

but the a9 was aimed at pros who needed d5 features. maximum frames per second. the a9 will fit that purpose still but the a7iii will not.

Lets wait and see.

The original info was, they (the rumor site) said, from a good source but they've since received info which they think casts doubt on the announcement being an A7III.

We wont have long to wait.

but the a9 was aimed at pros who needed d5 features. maximum frames per second. the a9 will fit that purpose still but the a7iii will not.

But it's already been argued that the 20fps is a headline grabbing detail that drops down to slower speeds if you want want anything other than a specific setting.

I'd argue that the majority of photographers actually want the joystick/battery over the 20fps. If pro sports photographers can happily deliver results all day from CaNikon bodies, do they really need 20fps?

Back