The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

A lot of it comes down to personal preference lads. The Z7 looks the better camera ergonomically, it has a much better touch screen and menu system - these things matter to some. On IQ, post-processing will see images from all 3 much the same I reckon. If I was offered the choice it would be a tough one between the Z7 and A7RIII, much as I like Pany, I think they made a mistake creating such a hefty beast. The S1R is heavier than a D850

we are just taking about the sensor IQ. Z7/S1R has a lot of positives indeed :)

Yeah I think that's the same mistake samsung made with NX1. made it as bulky if not bulkier than (APS-C) DSLRs

Last edited:
splitting hair - yes may be. I decided to look around their claims and they weren't wrong. A7RIII is better, so not sure what credible review shows Z7 is better.
It depends what you actually look at. Test scores show the Sony is better at noise handling and 0.1ev better DR, with the Nikon having better colour depth and a few more MP for that extra little bit of detail. But does this equate to better IQ, and does it equate to a better final image?

What Sony can do with high ISO performance though is seriously impressive.

It depends what you actually look at. Test scores show the Sony is better at noise handling and 0.1ev better DR, with the Nikon having better colour depth and a few more MP for that extra little bit of detail. But does this equate to better IQ, and does it equate to a better final image?

What Sony can do with high ISO performance though is seriously impressive.

Z7 has marginally better colour depth just as Sony has marginally better dynamic range. The MP difference is rather small too.
The only discernible difference I think is the ISO performance which Sony seems better at. I think that's only scenario i.e. high ISO that would lead to a slightly better final image with Sony.

A lot of it comes down to personal preference lads. The Z7 looks the better camera ergonomically, it has a much better touch screen and menu system - these things matter to some. On IQ, post-processing will see images from all 3 much the same I reckon. If I was offered the choice it would be a tough one between the Z7 and A7RIII, much as I like Pany, I think they made a mistake creating such a hefty beast. The S1R is heavier than a D850

The S1R is an amazing camera and is the one camera I would consider switching to from Sony.

The EVF is outstanding, pity the lens line up sucks so bad.

The S1R is an amazing camera and is the one camera I would consider switching to from Sony.

they will have the sigma ART series for them shortly. Would you be happy with the AF on it though?

they will have the sigma ART series for them shortly. Would you be happy with the AF on it though?

When they mention dodgy AF they're mostly talking about video, or so I thought.

It looks a right beast but that weight! What many of us have been trying to get away from for a long time. I say this now of course, when they eventually start falling in price on the used market and there's third party lens support I might be interested down the line. The evf is crazy spec, 5.7m dot! Probably clearer than what you see with your eyes

When they mention dodgy AF they're mostly talking about video, or so I thought.

It's the same in AF-C while bursting. It's not something you can get over as long as they use CDAF. Due the way CDAF works and needs to go back and forth to get focus lock you can't get over it.

a7iii + 25mm Batis
Cool+first+dance+photo+Lusty+Beg.jpg

I tried this once, with VERY similar fairy lights (same idea!) using a prism but you pulled this off much better.

I tried this once, with VERY similar fairy lights (same idea!) using a prism but you pulled this off much better.

This one looks more like it was done with a phone screen rather than a prism. Could be wrong though.

I’ll take it all back! I’m exhausted after a 10 hr wedding yesterday, thought I was pretty fit. Just shows when you’re not used to it. It’s been 18 months since I did one myself, just a second last year I between. The A7iii’s performed admirably, only real issue was the bloody disappearing focus point as usual. That, and the metering seemed to disappear when setting up for a flash lit night shot. I chimped it in the end but will look at that when I’ve recovered.

Definitely things that need improving, but can’t but help think they are the things that experience will teach. On the whole, pretty happy for a first wedding in a long time. Not looking forward to the cull later.

I’ll take it all back! I’m exhausted after a 10 hr wedding yesterday, thought I was pretty fit. Just shows when you’re not used to it. It’s been 18 months since I did one myself, just a second last year I between. The A7iii’s performed admirably, only real issue was the bloody disappearing focus point as usual. That, and the metering seemed to disappear when setting up for a flash lit night shot. I chimped it in the end but will look at that when I’ve recovered.

Definitely things that need improving, but can’t but help think they are the things that experience will teach. On the whole, pretty happy for a first wedding in a long time. Not looking forward to the cull later.

We get animal AF but they cant change the colour of a bloody square.

We get animal AF but they cant change the colour of a bloody square.

It’s ridiculous ain’t it. Might have to reset my joystick to centre again so at least you know where it is at a press. I’ve had to set it for magnify for dmf focus. That was handy at one point too yesterday though when the focus point kept sticking to an object in front of one of the bridesmaids, another little quirk of mine.

Had one change of battery in the main camera, shot just short of 2000 pics. Didn’t need to change batteries in both the TT350’s which worked flawlessly, and using them as masters with OCF for the first dance and some outdoor night stuff later. Happy I didn’t spend extra on the the V versions, had loads of spare eneloops in the bag.

Nice wee short day then, our on Saturday was 12 and a half hours. Was wrecked all day yesterday. Good day though, loads of craic.

Ladies and Gents - after a great deal of pondering am making the switch over from Fuji. Looking at an A7Rii + 16-35 F4 + 90mm as I shoot mostly landscapes + macro.

Any thoughts - seems like a fair enough selection? If anybody has any of the above the want to shift please let me know.

Cheers, Mike :)

Ladies and Gents - after a great deal of pondering am making the switch over from Fuji. Looking at an A7Rii + 16-35 F4 + 90mm as I shoot mostly landscapes + macro.

Any thoughts - seems like a fair enough selection? If anybody has any of the above the want to shift please let me know.

Cheers, Mike :)
I've recently switched from a Fuji XT2 to the A7Rii and have to say I'm loving it so far. I've gone for a small selection of primes so can't comment on your lens choices, but the 90 is meant to be pretty special by all accounts. There's a definite step up in image quality going from the 24Mpixel APS Fuji to the 42Mpixel full-frame Sony. AF isn't quite so rapid, but for the type of photography I do that doesn't bother me (so far!).

I've recently switched from a Fuji XT2 to the A7Rii and have to say I'm loving it so far. I've gone for a small selection of primes so can't comment on your lens choices, but the 90 is meant to be pretty special by all accounts. There's a definite step up in image quality going from the 24Mpixel APS Fuji to the 42Mpixel full-frame Sony. AF isn't quite so rapid, but for the type of photography I do that doesn't bother me (so far!).
Thanks Simon :)

Rumor recap...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/rumor-recap-sony-a7siii-a6500-successor-and-new-lenses/

The only thing I'd be possibly interested in is the 35mm f1.8 and even then I've waited so long I don't know if I could be bothered any more. I'll be interested to read and watch the reviews for the other stuff as it comes along but I probably wont be buying. But you never know :D
Totally agree. I'm disappointed with the lack of zoom lens news. I love a prime lens, but there's plenty of choice out already in that area (of course more is always better!).

I wouldn't expect anything miraculous from the new a9 or a6600. Most likely the "revolutionary" features will be minor improvements. They'll no doubt cost an arm and a leg too. I'm sure there are some great features to be introduced in the 7siii but not being that into the video side of things I'm sure I can do without 4k 60fps/120fps or 8k or whatever its going to offer.

I wouldn't expect anything miraculous from the new a9 or a6600. Most likely the "revolutionary" features will be minor improvements.
The new a9 will probably have a 'Global Shutter'. The present a9 already has it but it's disabled in software for some reason (Overheating?) Other than that it's anyone's guess what Sony will come up with.

I can only guess at what any revolutionary features may be but I do think that one thing is certain... if we're going to get any revolutionary features they're almost certainly not coming from Canon or Nikon, they're coming courtesy of Sony.

The new a9 will probably have a 'Global Shutter'. The present a9 already has it but it's disabled in software for some reason (Overheating?) Other than that it's anyone's guess what Sony will come up with.
uhh? the a9 doesnt have global shutter?!?! where did you hear that it has but disabled?

There is no way that the a9 has a hidden (full frame 24mp) global shutter, that would be huge groundbreaking news.

Sony announced a 1.46mp BSI global shutter sensor last year and that was a significant development. Panasonic have an organic global shutter sensor (4/3rds size) coming at the end of 2019 in what will be a staggeringly expensive commercial video camera.

Last edited:
I work in industrial machine vision, there are plenty of industrial cameras and sensors (both CCD and CMOS) with high resolution 16MP+ usually APS-H or bigger with global shutters, but there are horribly expensive. The costs will be driven down, and we will see global shutter technology in consumer/professional camera, Sony will almost certainly lead the market here.

Just reminds me of them updating the 35 and me buying 5 or 6 copies and all of them stunk. I actually bought the 85 yesterday and quickly changed my mind lol. Seeing this confirms the AF is balls on it too

Back