The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Lots are, it's been a loooooong time coming. SAR is partly to blame though.

The two mentioned earlier are switching from Panasonic.

A few other that have been creaming thenselves over the new Sony use Canon at the moment.

The two mentioned earlier are switching from Panasonic.

A few other that have been creaming thenselves over the new Sony use Canon at the moment.

Time will tell mate, Sonys known for crap bitrate (60-100mbps vs canon 480mbps) along with the 12mp allows for less overheating, its just not processing as much data. A single videographer and cam might be caught out by 20-30 min recording if they are literally just pressing record and standing around but then you'd also wonder where are the b cams and if the production or offering is top notch why aren't they using multiple cameras.

Meh, I'm not buying either. But nice to have a chat.

Last edited:
A 12mp Sony doesn't feel like good hybrid camera tbh. R5 (even R6) makes for a lot better hybrid. Ok it overheats at crazy resolutions but how many will actually be shooting 8k?
I am not sure it'll even fit on most SD cards lol.
And 1tb CFexpress will not be cheap.
All in all who cares.

I think Sony would have been wiser to make a 20mp body like the R6 with nice video features with no overheating.

A 12mp Sony doesn't feel like good hybrid camera tbh. R5 (even R6) makes for a lot better hybrid. Ok it overheats at crazy resolutions but how many will actually be shooting 8k?
I am not sure it'll even fit on most SD cards lol.
And 1tb CFexpress will not be cheap.
All in all who cares.

I think Sony would have been wiser to make a 20mp body like the R6 with nice video features with no overheating.

I also think everyone is overlooking the R6, it looks very good.

Well the upcoming RED will do 6k, that's going to be around 100k vs a 4k 8k cam that will use pretty much any lens ever made, that's disposable money in comparison.

A lot are considering consumer applications and ignoring the bigger picture and how the 5r is pushing technology. Nobody in the bigger picture cares about 20-30 min recording time, that's like years.

Last edited:
Good to see some nice sunny pictures (y)
That 10-18mm shoots pretty well into the sun.

So did you get a new copy of the lens in the end or did you get it fixed?
Cheers.
I've been impressed with what the 10-18mm can do.
I returned it and got a new one. Slightly soft bottom left but overall a significant improvement on the first lens. [emoji106]

If we believe what the various blogs have been saying Sony have listened to what people are saying and have made the camera the target market wants. Time will tell and we'll all be able to read the reviews when they come out.

Cheers.
I've been impressed with what the 10-18mm can do.
I returned it and got a new one. Slightly soft bottom left but overall a significant improvement on the first lens.
emoji106.png

well you may find it hard to find the "perfect" copy. If its within acceptable limits its good enough imo.

If we believe what the various blogs have been saying Sony have listened to what people are saying and have made the camera the target market wants. Time will tell and we'll all be able to read the reviews when they come out.

Is feedback just the few ambassadors or they actually talk to the wide independent reviewers and general customers who feedback via. emails and support channels.

People have been asking for touchscreen for long, its 2020 for god sakes! how hard can it be!?

Is feedback just the few ambassadors or they actually talk to the wide independent reviewers and general customers who feedback via. emails and support channels.

People have been asking for touchscreen for long, its 2020 for god sakes! how hard can it be!?
... Grey AF point.

I don't know. I expect they listen to some more than others. I do remember reading very recently that Sony aren't all that interested in positive feedback and mainly just want to know what's wrong with the kit.

TBH I barely take an interest and only skim the blogs when this crops up as I wont be buying the camera. If you're having a quiet Sunday you could search the usual blogs and see if you can get any clues.

Actually I do hope that the A7s is a great success as if it is we'll spend less time talking about Canons in this thread :D

Last edited:
... Grey AF point.

they did fix that on newer bodies lol (and A9)
though I never had a problem, my AF point is still grey on my A7RIV. I am used to it since A99 days, changing it will be odd for me.

So is this new Canon thingy capable of 20fps or not for sports?

no one knows yet (well publicly i mean). The electronic shutter is prone to rolling shutter which will make it useless for sports unless they have readout speeds and shutter release speeds on the level of mechanical shutter
So for A9 you can read about it here - https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/how-fast-is-the-sony-a9-electronic-shutter/
They will need to match or come close to it if they want to avoid rolling shutter.
1DXiii has rolling shutter which mean R6 which uses most of the same internals will almost be the same i.e. not so useful for shooting sports. Don't know about R5 yet.

Decided against it , I'm wary of internet returns , if they send me it in a sealed box and I return it opened I could be stuck with it , decided to evaluate options rather than jumping in , the sony 24-105 looks a good choice , I bought a cheap A7 so if I like it my plan is to buy lenses I won't need to change should I decide to upgrade it.

The 24-105 is a good walkabout lens, though having had mine more than a year I've definitely fallen out of love with the way it renders and it's the last lens I pick up unless I can only take one that MUST do everything. I'm not ready to get rid yet because it is useful, but have come to realise I'd rather crop with 85 or even 55 to zoom instead of using it at 105. Perhaps I'm now in a 'post-zoom' phase.

Both of the new Canon's have a rolling shutter, so not ideal.

The 20fps only works with some lenses and only if you are not using the evf.

Short answer is no they are not.

Last edited:
Both of the new Canon's have a rolling shutter, so not ideal.

The 20fps only works with some lenses and only if you are not using the evf.

Short answer is no they are not.

where does it say that?
what's the point then?

where does it say that?
what's the point then?

Don't know if it does say it anywhere yet.

I had a zoom call the other day with another wedding photographer who had pre production versions of both cameras and asked a few questions about it.

Guess there is always the chance that the retail version will be different but they didn't seem to think it would be.

They liked the R6 of the two, apparently dynamic range on the R5 isn't great.

they did fix that on newer bodies lol (and A9)
though I never had a problem, my AF point is still grey on my A7RIV. I am used to it since A99 days, changing it will be odd for me.

Want different AF point colour? Buy new camera.

They liked the R6 of the two, apparently dynamic range on the R5 isn't great.
If it's somewhere between 5D4 and A7III that's plenty good (R6 probably matches this looking at 1Dxiii sensor)
If it's like RP then no thanks

Updated spec of the new A7s camera. Now includes a fully articulated screen.

Rumored A7sIII specs recap

• New 12MP stacked sensor with fast readout
  • records FHD 240fps, 4k120fps 10bit 4:2:2 and 4K120fps raw over HDMI
  • Looks pretty similar to a Sony A7rIV.
  • fully articulating screen like the one used by the Sony ZV-1.
  • world’s highest resolution new 9.44 million dot EVF (QXGA resolution)
  • new kind of passive (noise free) cooling system
  • no overheating, no recording time limits
  • UHSII card support
  • announcement late July

I think you need to get a life :LOL:

Lockdown...

I need to stop getting pis**d in the garden on sunny weekend afternoons, spent a lovely afternoon with my wife, BBQ, music, chilling with Rum and chatting s***e.
At some point during the evening I decided the price I was seeing for a Batis 25 was just too good to ignore. Looks like I will be refusing delivery of the 2 Tamrons then :eek:
It isnt a disaster as I can use it as a walkaround on FF and a 37mm on APSC, but it isn;t something I would have bought sober :)

Last edited:
I don't know why anyone needs more than this tbh. I find 12fps too many for most things.

It's not so much 20fps that's attractive, more the prospect of silent shooting and blackout free shooting.
I have only used A9 a handful of times but the blackout free shooting is really amazing. If A9II was 36mp or so I'd have got it over A7RIV.

Last edited:
It's not so much 20fps that's attractive, more the prospect of silent shooting and blackout free shooting.
I have only used A9 a handful of times but the blackout free shooting is really amazing. If A9II was 36mp or so I'd have got it over A7RIV.
The blackout free shooting on AF is deffo appealing, I’d love an A9-II but would probably set the frame rate to 10-12fps.

Back