The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

If the canon did fast FPS silently then it would be appealing but as far as I have read (correct me if I am wrong) it does not? Therefore for me Sony is still ahead (for my needs).

I think it does shoot silently at 20fps :eek:

A new guy is asking about shutter remotes for an A7III here...

I bet someone here can help him :D

Well if everyone else stops making them they could have the market to themselves...

We could see a resurgence of Pentax with 90%+ or even in a few years 100% market domination.

:D

but in other news guys, pentax believes in SLR. perhaps we should stop with all this e-mount, RF stuff and buy pentax instead

Thanks for that, I had forgotten it was happening.

After watching the video I think that was more to do with what has happened with Olympus in the last few weeks. I know there has been a lot of reporting that Pentax will be the next to go (but then they had also been saying that since I purchased my first digital Pentax body some 12 years ago). Basically they were saying that they are going to carry on making DSLR's as well as mirrorless but nontheless they aren't going anywhere.

Anyway, I would be grateful if you could keep other brands out of this Canon R thread ;)

Last edited:
but in other news guys, pentax believes in SLR. perhaps we should stop with all this e-mount, RF stuff and buy pentax instead

If Pentax had an EVF I would swap back in a heartbeat, I love their ergonomics and the weather sealing and I still have my favourite K series primes that I use today. The EVF just makes using vintage lenses so much easier for me.

I've just finished going through maybe a couple of hundred pictures that had built up. I've kept the vast majority as there are very very few misses these days and after severe culling 31 made it into my favourites folders. Others have been resized and zapped off to Mrs WW's family and friends :D So. I'm up to date :D

You buying?

I was interested when I thought it would be a good hybrid camera, but based on rumoured spec it’s purely a video camera and that’s not much use to me.

If the rumoured spec is wrong and it is something like a 21-24 MP I may be interested but certainly not as it is.

I thought it was interesting that the A7SIII sensor can supposedly do 48 million pixel stills but Sony have restricted it to 12.

Handheld pixel shift would be nice. I am surprised canon didn't try it with their 8 stops of stabilization.

Just picked up my new (to me) a6500. An upgrade from my a6000. Seemed to get it at a snip and has only done 500 odd accentuations. Instantly feels a step up in quality. I was perfectly satisfied with the a6000 IQ and auto focus, and 4k video was not really a huge selling point to me. But, ibis, weather sealing and an apparent slight improvement in low light were big deals to me. Looking forward to getti g out and about with it!

Hmm that doesn't look great now I've seen it on the computer, looks like an image that's been cropped too much.

Only cropped a little to straighten it up - nothing more.

Actually in fairness I've realised the D70 is only 6MP - I'd thought it was a bit more than that.

Only cropped a little to straighten it up - nothing more.

Actually in fairness I've realised the D70 is only 6MP - I'd thought it was a bit more than that.
I’m surprised you can see that tbh, I bet it’s not even 1000pixels on the long edge on here. Is it something to do with the IR conversion rather than the lack of mp? I’ve cropped images down to under 2mp and they don’t look like that o_O

I’m surprised you can see that tbh, I bet it’s not even 1000pixels on the long edge on here. Is it something to do with the IR conversion rather than the lack of mp? I’ve cropped images down to under 2mp and they don’t look like that o_O

Maybe D70s just suck. ;)

I don't know - it's always looked gritty. I've done some heavy cropping with my D610, and once it got down to that kind of resolution (say 2000 X 3000) the images always looked gritty to me.

Maybe D70s just suck. ;)

I don't know - it's always looked gritty. I've done some heavy cropping with my D610, and once it got down to that kind of resolution (say 2000 X 3000) the images always looked gritty to me.
Interesting, I wonder why that is :thinking:

Interesting, I wonder why that is :thinking:

I've always just assumed it was a crappy camera, although it reprospect Nikon raw images always seemed coarser than other raw files I've handled from Sony and Olympus. Might well be something to do with the processing, and buggering about with IR images does make some pretty drastic changes to the appearance.

Just picked up my new (to me) a6500. An upgrade from my a6000. Seemed to get it at a snip and has only done 500 odd accentuations. Instantly feels a step up in quality. I was perfectly satisfied with the a6000 IQ and auto focus, and 4k video was not really a huge selling point to me. But, ibis, weather sealing and an apparent slight improvement in low light were big deals to me. Looking forward to getti g out and about with it!

This is the key bit. All cameras are capable of taking great pictures now. I have an A7r2, and I've lost count of the times I have seen posts regarding the 'slow' AF. Just for fun I went back and read a few reviews from when it came out which praised it's fast AF.
Cameras have improved alot, but that doesn't make older cameras bad, they are still very capable tools

This is the key bit. All cameras are capable of taking great pictures now. I have an A7r2, and I've lost count of the times I have seen posts regarding the 'slow' AF. Just for fun I went back and read a few reviews from when it came out which praised it's fast AF.
Cameras have improved alot, but that doesn't make older cameras bad, they are still very capable tools

Yep. I planned to do an a/b test whilst having both in my possession, but then decided against it as I think it would probably be such a negligible difference I'll not find any, or even worse, I feel a bit disheartened with my new purchase due to no noticeable difference! But, I think the upgrade was worth it, it feels just that bit beefier in the hand.

Not for me, video not really my thing, but this will sell by the bucketload.

Wasn't the original A7s the best seller in the line for a while? I'm sure I read that somewhere and if true there surely must be a market for this new version.

I think also people confuse the kits capability with their own capability and needs. Few need a camera which performs like an F1 race car but maybe quite a few people imagine themselves in some alternative life where they need the cutting edge abilities of the very latest and best kit.

Wasn't the original A7s the best seller in the line for a while? I'm sure I read that somewhere and if true there surely must be a market for this new version.
The S line has always been a big seller for video stills not so much, with the huge wait for the A7Siii a lot of people picked up the A7iii because they just got sick of waiting, and some went with the S1 line or others, from what i have seen of the specs i think Sony may have got this one right, time will tell.

For stills shooters it'll be interesting to compare pictures taken with this modern 12mp camera to pictures taken with 24 and 40+mp cameras downsized to match the new cameras resolution.

I think also people confuse the kits capability with their own capability and needs. Few need a camera which performs like an F1 race car but maybe quite a few people imagine themselves in some alternative life where they need the cutting edge abilities of the very latest and best kit.

I think its a little bit like the football world. You have amateur guys turning up with £200 boots, another £300 of kit and not having the ability or knowledge to get the most out of it. Some go away practice and learn, others just buy the new most expensive set of boots and see no improvement. I don’t think any of the cameras the hobbyist or small business pro can buy today are bad and will do the job Very well in most instances. Some of the photos I see taken surprise me when I learn what they take them on.

It’s also worth pointing out that others can spend their cash as they see fit and if they get enjoyment that’s all that’s counts.

I'm all for buying shiny new toys if the budget allows. There's nothing wrong with that at all and in fact I approve :D but I do like to keep at least one foot on the ground and I try to factor in reality both when buying stuff and telling myself and others what I (let alone they) need. At the moment the creaking old A7 does all I need.

Am I missing something with Eye-AF but when I read up on it I see that to engage it they're saying you need to press and hold a button whilst half pressing the shutter button, and I seem to recall a while ago people saying it on here. However, I don't need to do any of this, I just have Eye-AF set to on and it focuses on an eye if one's there but just focuses on whatever the AF point is if there's no person or animal in the frame. Has the way Eye-AF works on Sonys been changed or am I missing something?

Am I missing something with Eye-AF but when I read up on it I see that to engage it they're saying you need to press and hold a button whilst half pressing the shutter button, and I seem to recall a while ago people saying it on here. However, I don't need to do any of this, I just have Eye-AF set to on and it focuses on an eye if one's there but just focuses on whatever the AF point is if there's no person or animal in the frame. Has the way Eye-AF works on Sonys been changed or am I missing something?
Yep it's different on A7RIV/A9/ii and A6[1|4|6]00
Previous generation you had to set to a custom button and press it if you wanted to eyeAF (no need for half shutter press). With the latest version it'll automatically find eyes if it happens to be in the frame. But if you wish you can still set up latest generation to work like before but not sure why you would.

After later FW update A7III/A7RIII can do this to some extent but not fully.

Think I explained the differences to you in a massive post on this thread before. I'll see if I can find it lol.

Last edited:
It's easier to show than explain.

Let take it from the "beginning"....

The AF-C setting is common across these.

1. a7RII/A7III/A7RIII (pre FW v3.0)
You had to set eyeAF to a separate button. When you pressed that button the camera did it's best to find the eye within the entire frame and track it. It simply ignored the focus area setting.
The focus area setting (simplifying it a little) ranged from wide area i.e. the entire frame, zones i.e. part of the frame and center/single spot which you can move across the frame. So half-pressing the shutter (or back-button) to focus would cause the camera to track whatever subject falls in that area. So in wide area while it's least accurate in terms of pinpointing the subject gave full frame coverage for tracking. On the other hand the centre/single spot gave you the accuracy for pinpointing the subject but you have to keep keep your subject on that single point for it to track and if left the centre spot you lose focus. The zone is a middle ground between the two.
To get over this limitation Sony provided another focus area called expanded flexible spot. So basically you get a central/single point, you find the subject with this point hence you get the pinpoint accuracy and should the subject move away from this point it'll track it across the frame thus providing the wider frame coverage. Win-win.
Notice how thus far eyeAF tracking and subject tracking are different things. Nothing to do with each other apart from both needing AF-C.

2. A7III/A7RIII FW v3.0
So they added real-time eyeAF (not the same as real-time AF, that's next). So in non-expanded flexible spot focussing area modes i.e. wide, zone, centre/single the camera will track the eyes as long as the eye(s) falls in the focus area. And if the subject leaves the focus area (bad in case of centre/single spot) it'll stop tracking it regardless of whether there are eyes in the frame. So for humans/animals i.e. subjects with eyes it can detect, setting camera to wide area mode (like in Nikon Zs) may work fine because it'll find the eye and when it can't it'll track something it thinks it should be tracking.
And in expanded flexible spot focus area mode you only got subject tracking and no eyeAF. Now you are back to above option 1 of setting a separate button for eyeAF.

3. "Full-fat" real-time tracking.
They replaced the "expanded flexible spot" with a "tracking" focus area option. In this option you point the centre/single spot at your subject and it'll track that subject. Should the subject have eyes it'll track the eyes (regardless of whether your point was on the eye or not) and if it doesn't find eyes it'll just track the subject across the frame till it sees the subject's eye again.
You can still of course map a separate button to do eyeAF still but it's not needed anymore.

A7RIV has 3rd version for humans and 2nd version for animals. A9/ii has 3rd version for both. Not sure about A6100/6400/6600.

Makes sense? :D
@snerkler - explained it to you here in December lol

Last edited:
Back