The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

The rumour site is reporting specs from trusted sources for the new RF style camera...

A7III level specs and focus performance sound good and the articulated screen could be nice for some but for me it would all hang on if it has an evf or not. I really can't see myself spending any amount of money on a camera without a VF.
I've been waiting for a small Sony camera with an fully articulating screen since 2015. If they don't keep the VF they are totally stupid.

Last edited:
The rumour site is reporting specs from trusted sources for the new RF style camera...

A7III level specs and focus performance sound good and the articulated screen could be nice for some but for me it would all hang on if it has an evf or not. I really can't see myself spending any amount of money on a camera without a VF.
The articulating screen is an overdue improvement, apart from those wanting selfies - if you want to do portrait format close to the ground you are stuffed, and it's not that unusual e.g. flower macros.

Don't do it, someone's bottom has probably been on that.

:):):) Just as well the small end has been sealed off then, I guess because of Covid 19.

Just got a return label for the crappy Nikon 28mm f2.8 off evil bay so it'll be going back tomorrow. I've bought another which cost me £20 more but I'm not bothered about that and I'm just hoping this next one isn't another paper weight.

I think so. Yes.

It's on the rumour site today and as I haven't heard much about it I posted it here just in case others haven't noticed it either.

It seems a funny focal length but it might appeal to some.

Someone has an A7 and 50mm f1.8 up for sale in the classifieds, if anyone is interested.

Plus, that 20mm Firin looks attractive at £410.

Last edited:
Go for it then.

I do actually have a... Drum Roll.... A7 already. I've mentioned it about 10,000 times in this very thread.

I wouldn't be interested in that lens though after a bad experience with the 50mm macro, another lens with a less than SOTA focusing system. I do have the 55mm f1.8. I can see the appeal of the 50mm f1.8 but it's not for me.

I also have a Sony 20mm f1.8 which I've mentioned a few times.

I meant the lens.

I saw a Canon 200mm F2.8 FD lens the other day up for £145.

I thought that was really cheap for such a beast.

The Firin? I have the Sony 20mm f1.8. I did take a look at the Firin but in the end I went for the Sony based on reviews and after my bad experience with the 50mm macro a slight fear of any lens that reviewers mention focus issues with. These potentially slow to focus and may hunt a bit lenses may be ok on a newer body but that macros awful performance on my A7 has really put me off anything that may be slow or hunt on my creaking old A7. I do use MF a lot of the time but I don't see the point in paying for AF that ends up being so bad I might as well MF.

There are several on evil bay around that price on buy it now.

I've looked at them before but I have a 135mm f2.8 and two f3.5's that I never use so I think a longer lens wouldn't get used either.

I think so. Yes.

It's on the rumour site today and as I haven't heard much about it I posted it here just in case others haven't noticed it either.

It seems a funny focal length but it might appeal to some.

Thanks for this. The mode switch looks interesting & being able to adjust the aperture.

I got a Nippon Kogaku 24mm f2.8 today.

It looks new, there's not a mark on it.

5LJPgZw.jpg

U1AtC4e.jpg

It came in this plastic case. It's a silly design as the rear cap is fixed to the base, where are you supposed to put the cap off the end of the lens?

y4EnLht.jpg

We have high winds and rain here so there was really no chance of taking it out for a test drive but I did manage a few shots to make sure it works and it does. A brick wall test shows that it's even across the frame, the extreme corners are soft at f2.8 and never reach the sharpness you'd expect from a modern lens, there's an expected amount of vignetting, the close focus distance is what you'd expect, the bokeh is quite ok for an old 24mm and it's sharp enough across the frame despite the mushy corners.

Rzc8h56.jpg

ZglJiaO.jpg

Funky.

wuYnsWq.jpg

Optically it is better than I expected it to be, as it's quite old. These lenses are old but the build is exceptional. I now have 24 and 35mm f2.8's, 50mm f2 and f1.4 and I don't intend to buy any more.

PS.
The seller claims to have a contact in the Japanese camera industry and says he can get hold of just about anything Nikon and manual. So, I'll keep his details and if anyone wants to contact him I'll pass them on. I will keep his details but I do think I'm done buying this stuff now. I did think about buying the still in production (AFAIK) MF 35mm f1.4 and 50mm f1.2 but I don't think I'll bother now.

Last edited:
Just a simple Landscape type Snapograph taken at Fairfield Kent UK of the tiny St Thomas a Becket Church.

St Thomas à Becket Church in Fairfield stands alone in a field on the Marsh, surrounded by water courses and sheep. A causeway was built in 1913, and until then the church was more often than not surrounded by water during the winter and spring.
Fairfield, the village it once served has long since disappeared, but the church has survived and is now part of a parish which includes the villages of Brookland, Brenzett and Snargate. The church is dedicated to St Thomas à Becket, the Archbishop of Canterbury from 1162 until his murder in 1170.

Legend has it that the Archbishop was journeying across the dangerous Romney Marsh, when he fell into one of the many ditches. He prayed to St.Thomas, as he came up for the second time, for a miracle to save him from a watery death. Just in time a farmer arrived to save him, and in gratitude the Archbishop had the little church built and dedicated to St Thomas a Becket.

Sometime around AD 1200 a simple structure of timber and lath construction was built as a purely temporary measure to provide the local farmers with a place of worship. Temporary became permanent, and the 13th century building survived intact until the 18th century, when the entire timber building was encased within brick walls, and the roof covered with heavy red tiles.

In 1912 the fabric was in a very poor state and a complete rebuilding within the timber framework took place. However, the inside of the church was, fortunately, left untouched. It is Georgian, with a three decker pulpit, box pews and texts boards. The pews are still painted white with black linings.

The interior is pure Georgian theatrics; entering the church is like stepping back into the 18th century. The interior is filled with rows of box pews, painted bright white, with a triple-decker pulpit rising over them and Biblical texts staring down from the walls.

RX100M6, 1/850th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Handheld.
Fairfield Church (Kent)-03454 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):sony:

George.

Just a simple Landscape type Snapograph taken at Fairfield Kent UK of the tiny St Thomas a Becket Church.

St Thomas à Becket Church in Fairfield stands alone in a field on the Marsh, surrounded by water courses and sheep. A causeway was built in 1913, and until then the church was more often than not surrounded by water during the winter and spring.
Fairfield, the village it once served has long since disappeared, but the church has survived and is now part of a parish which includes the villages of Brookland, Brenzett and Snargate. The church is dedicated to St Thomas à Becket, the Archbishop of Canterbury from 1162 until his murder in 1170.

Legend has it that the Archbishop was journeying across the dangerous Romney Marsh, when he fell into one of the many ditches. He prayed to St.Thomas, as he came up for the second time, for a miracle to save him from a watery death. Just in time a farmer arrived to save him, and in gratitude the Archbishop had the little church built and dedicated to St Thomas a Becket.

Sometime around AD 1200 a simple structure of timber and lath construction was built as a purely temporary measure to provide the local farmers with a place of worship. Temporary became permanent, and the 13th century building survived intact until the 18th century, when the entire timber building was encased within brick walls, and the roof covered with heavy red tiles.

In 1912 the fabric was in a very poor state and a complete rebuilding within the timber framework took place. However, the inside of the church was, fortunately, left untouched. It is Georgian, with a three decker pulpit, box pews and texts boards. The pews are still painted white with black linings.

The interior is pure Georgian theatrics; entering the church is like stepping back into the 18th century. The interior is filled with rows of box pews, painted bright white, with a triple-decker pulpit rising over them and Biblical texts staring down from the walls.

George.
It looks very lonely there.

George.
Thank you for the image and the story, both lovely.

I got a Nippon Kogaku 24mm f2.8 today.

It looks new, there's not a mark on it.

5LJPgZw.jpg

U1AtC4e.jpg

It came in this plastic case. It's a silly design as the rear cap is fixed to the base, where are you supposed to put the cap off the end of the lens?

y4EnLht.jpg

We have high winds and rain here so there was really no chance of taking it out for a test drive but I did manage a few shots to make sure it works and it does. A brick wall test shows that it's even across the frame, the extreme corners are soft at f2.8 and never reach the sharpness you'd expect from a modern lens, there's an expected amount of vignetting, the close focus distance is what you'd expect, the bokeh is quite ok for an old 24mm and it's sharp enough across the frame despite the mushy corners.

Rzc8h56.jpg

ZglJiaO.jpg

Funky.

wuYnsWq.jpg

Optically it is better than I expected it to be, as it's quite old. These lenses are old but the build is exceptional. I now have 24 and 35mm f2.8's, 50mm f2 and f1.4 and I don't intend to buy any more.

PS.
The seller claims to have a contact in the Japanese camera industry and says he can get hold of just about anything Nikon and manual. So, I'll keep his details and if anyone wants to contact him I'll pass them on. I will keep his details but I do think I'm done buying this stuff now. I did think about buying the still in production (AFAIK) MF 35mm f1.4 and 50mm f1.2 but I don't think I'll bother now.

I have an enlarging lens in one of those cases.

Sure it's not for an enlarger? 39mm thread?

It looks very lonely there.

Stephen, it’s apparently still used every third Sunday in the month for a service etc, there’s no electricity so the keyboard/organist player has to use a portable battery unit.

George.

Thank you for the image and the story, both lovely.

Thank you kindly Laurence, I sure do appreciate your reply.

George.

I have an enlarging lens in one of those cases.

Sure it's not for an enlarger? 39mm thread?

Terry, I don’t know about now, but when I last used an enlarger all the threads on the enlarging lenses were 39mm screw regardless of whatever format they were for at least 35mm up to 5x4” were. All of our Nikon enlarging lenses came in one of those dome type things.

George.

My granddaughter Skye taken with a Minolta Rokkor 135mm f2.8 film camera lens on my A7ii.
lighting was a Lencarta Atom 180 bounced into a silver umbrella with a reflector to the side...
First time I've used this lens for a portrait, so it was more of a test....Pleased with the results.

Skye... by robert shearer, on Flickr

Last edited:
Terry, I don’t know about now, but when I last used an enlarger all the threads on the enlarging lenses were 39mm screw regardless of whatever format they were for at least 35mm up to 5x4” were. All of our Nikon enlarging lenses came in one of those dome type things.

George.

Yes, that's why I asked George.

Back